What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (10 Viewers)

The Score reporting Dallas will cut him.  Aren’t Gallup and Wilson both FAs?   Seems like Gallup will want a payday. 
I assume the market won’t be great coming off an ACL tear in January.  Gallup staying in Dallas is probably a win for all parties.

hasn't fallen at all. his qb has been borerline stinky, and he's playing across from another studly WR. this is best case for him.. still a top 3 nfl route runner and elite hands. i hope he ends up in indy

his cap hit/savings is what is making this happen, imo

Disagree to a point...he is still good WR, but I think it is fair to say that after 7 seasons he may not be what many of us thought he was gonna be which is why two teams are moving on from him by the age of 27 and in his prime.

Disagree to a point...he is still good WR, but I think it is fair to say that after 7 seasons he may not be what many of us thought he was gonna be which is why two teams are moving on from him by the age of 27 and in his prime.
I would think 23 to 26 is more prime for most WRs.  I believe Cooper is still a good WR, but past his prime.

I would think 23 to 26 is more prime for most WRs.  I believe Cooper is still a good WR, but past his prime.

Not really what I said...I said two teams moved on from him while in his prime....I would also say 27 or 28 is still in their NFL prime...but the time when you need to start moving on in Dynasty.

I think he’s fine for fantasy purposes.  He hasn’t declined.  But he’s never had 1,200 yards or 10 TD’s.  He isn’t worth 20 million.  

Pretty confident there isn’t a specific age range for someone’s prime.  Don’t understand why people get all ticky tacky when it comes to this hobby. 
According to the links Faust just posted I agree with you.  I said 23-26 and I couldn't be further off.  It looks like late 20s is fine prime for elite WRs.

Best Prime Rib in the country is the Prime Rib on my plate at any given moment.

:excited:
I don't know about that.  I've had some crappy Prime Rib in my days.  When it isn't good,  it ruins a meal.  After all, it is the centerpiece of the meal.  I used to live near Washington DC and had the pleasure of eating at "The Prime Rib".  A place close to where I live now is the "St. Paul Grill".  Their Prime Rib is excellent.  Although I don't know if it is always on the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about that.  I've had some crappy Prime Rib in my days.  When it isn't good,  it ruins a meal.  After all, it is the centerpiece of the meal.  I used to live near Washington DC and had the pleasure of eating at "The Prime Rib".  A place close to where I live now is the "St. Paul Grill".  Their Prime Rib is excellent.  Although I don't know if it is always on the menu.

PRIME RIB GOES HERE----->>> :jawdrop:

that seems kind of weird to me....

that seems kind of weird to me....
Why is that?  I've seen several of my favorite restaurants not always have Prime Rib on the menu.  Some are good when they do and it's hit and miss other times.  Now that doesn't apply to some place like "The Prime Rib".  Absolutely the best Prime Rib I've ever had anywhere.  I'm sure there are others, but that is my personal experience.

Hot take perhaps, but I think losing Cooper would be really bad for Lamb. Defenses were still treating Cooper as the #1 this season. 

If Cooper hits FA, he's instantly one the best guys. I'd love to see him in Chicago. 

ETA: Part of me wonders if he'd take a discount to play for a contender in a top offense, and look to cash in in 2023. He could certainly rehab his value on a team like, say, KC.

I assume the market won’t be great coming off an ACL tear in January.  Gallup staying in Dallas is probably a win for all parties.
While true, there’s no way Dallas can expect him to contribute much in 2022 coming off an ACL tear that late in the season. And this is a team supposedly in their win-now window.

My guess if they cut Cooper is they’d sign Gallup to a one year prove-it deal and spend a high pick on another WR.

travdogg said:
ETA: Part of me wonders if he'd take a discount to play for a contender in a top offense, and look to cash in in 2023. He could certainly rehab his value on a team like, say, KC.
As a Raider fan I consider that a nightmare scenario.

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson reports “there hasn’t been any interest” in trading for Amari Cooper.

Trading Cooper before his salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 20 isn’t expected, leaving Dallas likely to grant his release. Cooper's $20 million salary is high, but the structure is team-friendly with no guaranteed money left and could look better after Davante Adams and other top receivers sign new deals. Cooper’s market stands to benefit with free agents Chris Godwin and Mike Willams expected to re-sign or be franchised. Dallas plans to use its cap savings on Cooper to extend Michael Gallup and Cedrick Wilson, a move that allows them to keep both receivers at less than Cooper’s cap hit.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports

Mar 6, 2022, 11:41 AM ET

Why is that?  I've seen several of my favorite restaurants not always have Prime Rib on the menu.  Some are good when they do and it's hit and miss other times.  Now that doesn't apply to some place like "The Prime Rib".  Absolutely the best Prime Rib I've ever had anywhere.  I'm sure there are others, but that is my personal experience.
lol...just seemed a little strange that a place called The Prime Rib would not have prime rib available when open....I get that at most other restaurants it is not a nightly offering....but it would kind of be like Buffalo Wild Wings not having wings available...

lol...just seemed a little strange that a place called The Prime Rib would not have prime rib available when open....I get that at most other restaurants it is not a nightly offering....but it would kind of be like Buffalo Wild Wings not having wings available...
I did make the statement ":Now that doesn't apply to some place like "The Prime Rib", so yes, there are places that don't have prime rib always on the menu, but "The Prime Rib" obviously isn't one of them.  You read that incorrectly.

I did make the statement ":Now that doesn't apply to some place like "The Prime Rib", so yes, there are places that don't have prime rib always on the menu, but "The Prime Rib" obviously isn't one of them.  You read that incorrectly.
ohhh...my bad

travdogg said:
Hot take perhaps, but I think losing Cooper would be really bad for Lamb. Defenses were still treating Cooper as the #1 this season. 

If Cooper hits FA, he's instantly one the best guys. I'd love to see him in Chicago. 

Good post. I agree with the Lamb take unless they dedicate him to the slot. That is really where he needs to be in order to have the biggest FF impact.

Cooper to KC makes so much sense as they have needed someone to consistently step up as a third target and I think as long as healthy Cooper can probably handle that. Cap space would be the question.

Cowboys ‘likely’ to cut Amari Cooper: 5 best landing spots for former Pro Bowl receiver

Amari Cooper landing spots: 11 teams that could be fits if Cowboys release WR

Amari Cooper: 3 Best Landing Spots for Star WR if Dallas Cowboys Do Cut Him

Best Fantasy Landing Spots for Amari Cooper

Excerpt:

Kansas City Chiefs: Not a shock. As much as is made about this offense, they’ve essentially been without a dependable No. 2 receiver for the duration of Patrick Mahomes’s tenure. You may be confused about my shade toward Mecole Hardman, but he disappears for huge stretches. Tyreek Hill is a bolt of lightning offensively, but the rest of the receivers have just been inept. Cooper would give them another weapon and with defenses forced to key on Hill and Travis Kelce, Cooper can abuse single coverage on the outside for the benefit of the scoreboard and fantasy managers.

Chicago Bears: The only receiver of note on the payroll in 2022 is Darnell Mooney. Allen Robinson, Damiere Byrd and Marquise Goodwin don’t seem likely to return. A pairing with Justin Fields could be the start of something special for the Bears and fantasy managers, but it’s not all roses. Chicago averaged the third-fewest passing yards per game (188.6) and fourth-fewest passing touchdowns (16) last year. The presence of Cooper could only help and he’d be a good mentor to Mooney, who well exceeded last season’s expectations.

Atlanta Falcons: In the Week 9 edition of my Dynasty Watch series some months back, I touched on Calvin Ridley’s future status. As much as I can appreciate taking time for mental health and I sincerely wish him the best, the Falcons must do what’s best for their team. Ridley was Cooper’s heir apparent for Alabama when he began his collegiate career. I can only assume they know each other well. Ridley having a familiar face around—someone he may have looked up to when he was in Tuscaloosa—might serve him well if and when he returns. It would also take a ton of pressure off Cooper to be Atlanta’s WR2 on the depth chart and free him up to be a complementary piece in this offense.

Numerous places make sense.  Add the Saints to that list as that was the most lacking position on a team built to win. 

Cooper to Baltimore or New England makes a ton of sense.
Baltimore would be a terrible landing spot.  Not because I have Bateman on my fantasy team, but because Jackson isn't the best passer he could hook up with and they want to be primarily a running team.  Not to mention Jackson's favorite target is Andrews and he has a lot of love for Brown it seems.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports “at least five teams” have talked to the Cowboys about Amari Cooper.

This comes after reports a trade market is developing for Cooper. The Cowboys are still trying to figure out what to do with Cooper and haven’t ruled out keeping him on a restructure. With Davante Adams, Chris Godwin, and Mike Williams off the market, teams are realizing a free-agent deal with Cooper could cost the $20 million per year he’s making with more upfront and guaranteed money. That makes a trade possible before the new league year, with Dallas asking for a third or fourth-round pick. The Browns are ‘real players’ on Cooper, while Miami is expected to have interest if he's released.

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

, Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 12, 2022, 9:41 AM ET

Baltimore would be a terrible landing spot.  Not because I have Bateman on my fantasy team, but because Jackson isn't the best passer he could hook up with and they want to be primarily a running team.  Not to mention Jackson's favorite target is Andrews and he has a lot of love for Brown it seems.
Baltimore is the only team in the NFL that had two players in the top 10 in receiving targets in 2021.

I don't think they want to be a primarily running team anymore. 

I do agree that Baltimore would be a terrible landing spot, but that's because it appears to me that they already have 3 viable pass catchers on their roster.

Browns acquired WR Amari Cooper from the Cowboys in exchange for a 2022 fifth-round pick.

The two teams are also swapping sixth-round picks. It's a curious move for the Browns after the team jettisoned Odell Beckham last year because he wasn't being used. That makes it difficult to get excited about Cooper's landing spot in Cleveland, but this is a no-brainer move on the Browns' part, giving up a late-round pick for soon-to-be 28-year-old (in June) Cooper who is still very much in his prime. Cooper has five 1,000-yard seasons under his belt already. The Browns will take on Cooper's $20 million cap hit. The Cowboys will now turn their attention to re-signing Michael Gallup.

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 12, 2022, 2:04 PM ET

Why does everyone think his value fell through the roof? You all know his career high in targets for a season is just 131, a number that Jarvis Landry exceeded his first two seasons with the Browns.

Why does everyone think his value fell through the roof? You all know his career high in targets for a season is just 131, a number that Jarvis Landry exceeded his first two seasons with the Browns.
I wouldn’t say through the roof, but likely down unless Mayfield improves. Plus it’s not out of the question that the Browns also don’t bring in another quality receiving option either via free agency or the draft.

Valid point about Cooper, but Landry's high volume days were pre Stefanski. Gonna need a bounce back in the scoring column for him to out produce his current value. 

I wouldn’t say through the roof, but likely down unless Mayfield improves. Plus it’s not out of the question that the Browns also don’t bring in another quality receiving option either via free agency or the draft.

Sure they will bring in more WR's (through the draft, no FA) but I'm still not seeing this as some death blow.

As for Baker improving I'd say two things. A he was really hurt last year and B I'd ask people to remember re-examine Dak's passing production before Amair arrived.

Personally I found this move as status quo for Amari.

Sure they will bring in more WR's (through the draft, no FA) but I'm still not seeing this as some death blow.

As for Baker improving I'd say two things. A he was really hurt last year and B I'd ask people to remember re-examine Dak's passing production before Amair arrived.

Personally I found this move as status quo for Amari.
Fair points - I see him as a low ceiling, high floor guy. Would be happy to have him as my WR3.

Valid point about Cooper, but Landry's high volume days were pre Stefanski. Gonna need a bounce back in the scoring column for him to out produce his current value. 
And that's a valid point I did consider on Landry pre-Stefanski  but there were other issues at play and Stefanski did have strong WR production while OC of the Vikings.

My main point is Cooper has never been an overly high volume type of WR, more along the lines of solid 120-130 in 16 game range and I think that will continue.

Users who are viewing this thread