What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Devin Funchess, Lions (2 Viewers)

:lol:

I got the idea from a friend who rebuilds high end salvage cars (flood cars, totaled cars) as a hobby. He uses that as his avatar on a site we both belong to, it’s kind of an inside joke.

What he does is insane. Works 8 hours a day as a network administrator, helps the kids with their homework, does things around the house - he has an agreement with his wife he won’t start working on his cars until they go to bed (9-10pm.) He puts in hundreds of hours a year stripping parts off 3-4-5 identical model cars he had purchased at auction & ends up with $100K sports car that costs like $6K (because he sells any parts he doesn’t use - he makes money on a majority of the auction cars.) He overcomes incredible odds & challenges but nothing ever seems to fluster him.

HTPH
Wow, sounds like your buddy should be the face of Hide The Pain Harold!

This is from before this season, but as you see Rhodes has been very good in coverage.

Top-4 in most measurable categories, including an ultra-low 45-percent catch rate allowed and 4.8 yards per target allowed.
Xavier Rhodes leads Top-10 No. 1 cornerbacks

Maybe not as good this year?

The game Jones had against him would surely hurt him in analysis such as yards per coverage snap and so on. But he is very good in coverage.

The last few weeks Rhodes has come up gimpy during the game and had to leave the field briefly before returning. He has played on 91% of the Vikings defensive snaps this year though, so he hasn't been off the field for very long.

As far as the penalties there are 13 corners with more penalties than Rhodes and he is tied with 15 other corners with 5. That doesn't really seem that bad, especially when you consider one of his penalties is for taunting, which doesn't really have anything to do with coverage.

Here is an article by PFF looking at the match up between Funchess and Rhodes.

According to this Rhodes has only shadowed a receiver 7 of the 12 games this year. In terms of passer rating against Rhodes, you can see how Jones game stands out compared to the other 6 games.

Funchess has excelled on hitch routes this season, catching 11-of-14 targets for 120 yards, while Rhodes has allowed seven receptions on hitch routes, the most of any route this season. Rhodes will most likely shadow Funchess, as he has done to No. 1 wide receivers seven times this season.
This somewhat does not surprise me because Rhodes is such a good tackler, allowing a catch in front of him and then tackling the receiver before they get the first down isn't a big deal.

They think Rhodes will shadow Funchess, that seems like a reasonable guess, but possible they don't.

Trey Waynes has improved in recent games and teams are not picking on him anymore, thus some of the targets coming back Rhodes way in recent games instead of QBs just avoiding him before. The coverage of the Vikings has become good across the board, so maybe the game plan won't be for Rhodes to shadow Funchess as much as we might think?

According to the above article 5 of the Vikings games Rhodes has not shadowed the top WR. The games he hasn't shadowed are against the Rams, Saints, Bears, Ravens, Browns. Most of those make sense, in that the Bears and Browns didn't have much of a top receive to shadow, and the Ravens lost Mike Wallace to concussion early on in that game with Maclin already out as well, so they didn't have a receiver to shadow. Kind of interesting that the Vikings did not use Rhodes on Michael Thomas or against a specific Rams receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just learned that Funchess did not practice today.

He had two full practices prior to today. I wonder if this is just precautionary?

Does anyone know?

The Panthers will be in even more trouble if he isn't able to go.

After thinking all week about funchess vs Rhodes I finally pulled him out of my lineup last minute. Hoping it doesn't backfire. Crossing my fingers Ertz plays so I can start him, if not I'm stuck deciding between demaryius & martavis

Why would I bench Funchess at this point? He's been putting up top 8 WR numbers since week 9 in my non-ppr league. Unless he's injured, I'm riding him through the playoffs. 

Why would I bench Funchess at this point? He's been putting up top 8 WR numbers since week 9 in my non-ppr league. Unless he's injured, I'm riding him through the playoffs. 
Where were you all week lol unless you had horrible options, the smart move was to bench this guy...Rhodes is legit and shut Julio down last week...

Why would I bench Funchess at this point? He's been putting up top 8 WR numbers since week 9 in my non-ppr league. Unless he's injured, I'm riding him through the playoffs.
Well since he has the easiest remaining schedule amongst all WRs you're sure as hell not benching him moving forward.

Where were you all week lol unless you had horrible options, the smart move was to bench this guy...Rhodes is legit and shut Julio down last week...
I start players who put up stats consistently and tend to ignore matchups. 

What are owners doing in the championship? It's been a fun ride post-Benjamim, but watching last week he did not look like same guy with shoulder. 

More than anything, I'm worried about him coming out like he did last week after the hit and drop in the EZ. I'm not sure I can risk a goose egg at WR2 

So as much as I hate to as I'm a big believer in just setting your starters, I'm putting in Wallace who seems like a much more low risk play. 

(Also, after watching Dallas let Patterson run wild last week, debating Lockett in return yard league but don't need to risk the high ceiling.)

Anyone else benching him or considering it?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10391/devin-funchess

Panthers GM Marty Hurney said Devin Funchess has "just scratched the surface" of his ability.

Funchess took over as the 'X' receiver following the Kelvin Benjamin trade, and Hurney thinks that change helped him take the next step. "He is now in the position that really maximizes his skill set, and now we just want to see him continue to grow," Hurney added. "I thought you saw the improvement when he went over there full time; I think he progressed extremely well at the end of the year." ESPN's David Newton thinks the Panthers will "overhaul" the receiver position this offseason, but Funchess showed last season he is at worst a quality No. 2 who might be more than that when healthy, which he was not most of 2017. The Panthers certainly need to add weapons in the passing game, but Funchess should remain a big part of the offense. Feb 27 - 9:36 AM

Source: panthers.com

Devin Funchess - WR -  Panthers

Panthers GM Marty Hurney suggested he doesn't plan to extend contract-year WR Devin Funchess this season.

"You want to see a guy put back-to-back years together," Hurney told reporters at training camp. Funchess is coming off a breakout year, but his role may be scaled back with an improved supporting cast. The Panthers also want Funchess to prove he can stay healthy after battling injuries throughout 2017.

Source: Max Henson on Twitter 

Jul 25 - 5:26 PM

Devin Funchess (back) did not practice Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Funchess after he went down late in last week's loss to the Lions. Funchess was terrible last Sunday, dropping multiple passes. He's yet to have an 80-yard game this season. If he plays, Funchess is a WR3/4.
Uh oh.

Devin Funchess (back) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Funchess didn't play last week and isn't off on the right foot this week. If he sits, D.J. Moore and Curtis Samuel will continue to be the Panthers' top wideouts with Jarius Wright in the slot. Moore would be a firm WR2 against Tampa.
I feel like I posted this last week.... *looks up* I DID!

Samuel is looking better and better as a WR3 this week.
Curtis Samuel (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

Samuel had hamstring issues last summer ahead of his rookie season, derailing his first season. He's managed to stay healthy all year after having an irregular heartbeat problem early in the season. Samuel's status for Week 13 against the Bucs is up in the air. D.J. Moore is a locked-in WR2.

Source: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Curtis Samuel (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

Samuel had hamstring issues last summer ahead of his rookie season, derailing his first season. He's managed to stay healthy all year after having an irregular heartbeat problem early in the season. Samuel's status for Week 13 against the Bucs is up in the air. D.J. Moore is a locked-in WR2.

Source: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter
Samuel is looking less and less like a WR3

The Frankman said:
I feel like I posted this last week.... *looks up* I DID!
Yesterday Rivera said Funchess was dealing with a personal matter, and they aren't sure about his back yet. I guess we'll see if he practices today.

Devin Funchess (back) returned to practice Thursday.

Funchess sat out Wednesday after missing all of last week. He will likely be limited Thursday, but it at least gives him a shot to suit up against the Bucs. Funchess playing would be a downgrade for D.J. Moore.
Everyone is back now (Samuel practicing). Interesting to see if Funchess reclaims his #1 WR role.

I picked up Funchess for the playoffs.  I wanted a share of Carolina's ridiculously easy passing schedule. Panthers will win people championships this year

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Devin Funchess (questionable, back) is expected to play Week 13 against the Buccaneers but only on a limited basis.

Funchess' back injury only cost him one game. He'll be active against the Bucs, though it sounds like the fourth-year receiver will be on a strict snap count. With Funchess being eased back, D.J. Moore and Greg Olsen should see increased roles in the passing game along with exciting sophomore Curtis Samuel. Moore in particular carries huge upside for Sunday's shootout at Raymond James.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Dec 2 - 8:12 AM

Devin Funchess - WR -  Panthers

The Athletic's Joe Person gives impending free agent Devin Funchess a "0 percent" chance to return to the Panthers.

The writing has been on the wall for Funchess, whose snaps have been dramatically scaled back over the last month. In what looks like a fairly weak free agent class, it will be interesting to see how Funchess is valued by the rest of the league. The former second-round pick topped out at 63 catches, 840 yards, and eight touchdowns during his four seasons with the Panthers.

Source: The Athletic 

Dec 27 - 10:17 AM

Panthers kept Benjamin and Funchess far too long. Both are awful. Luckily I think Moore and Samuel look promising, but they still need a Moose type possession big receiver 

In a video posted to Twitter, impending free agent WR Devin Funchess called himself a "former" Carolina Panther.

Steve Reed, who covers the Panthers for the Associated Press, confirmed Carolina is expected to move on from Funchess following an unproductive 2018 campaign. The former second-round pick broke out for 840 yards and eight touchdowns in 2017 but regressed last year while struggling with injuries. The 24-year-old Michigan product was never a true difference-maker during his four-year stay in Charlotte, though he should land on his feet in a weak free agent class at wide receiver. Funchess' likely departure should open up targets for D.J. Moore, Curtis Samuel and Christian McCaffrey in the passing game.

SOURCE: Devin Funchess on Twitter

Mar 1, 2019, 11:12 AM

Colts agreed to terms with WR Devin Funchess, formerly of the Panthers, on a one-year contract.

This is the type of signing GM Chris Ballard prefers to make. With teams shelling out insane money in free agency, Ballard instead takes a flier on a talented wideout like Funchess who is coming off a down season in Carolina. Funchess is by no means an All-Pro, but he can certainly elevate his game in Indy with a quarterback and offense upgrade from Cam Newton to Andrew Luck. The deal has a max value of $13 million should Funchess hit all his incentives.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

Mar 11, 2019, 5:37 PM

I love this signing for Funchess and as a Luck dynasty owner. Look at what Luck did with Ebron last year. Funchess is a carbon copy. This offense is going to be very good next year and Funchess will approach 1000 yards and 8 tds. Excellent sleeper value.

No risk if he doesn't work out because of one year deal.  If he works out great.  Ballard is a smart GM

I love this signing for Funchess and as a Luck dynasty owner. Look at what Luck did with Ebron last year. Funchess is a carbon copy. This offense is going to be very good next year and Funchess will approach 1000 yards and 8 tds. Excellent sleeper value.
I actually like this move for indy in terms of the acquisition, maybe the money isnt right but the colts had a ton and the FA wr group is baaaaad.

I think Luck will elevate his potential and he could have an Ebron like year, but maybe do a bit more between the 20's. I wouldnt be shocked if he had 10 TDs

I think Funch can be effective as a possession receiver for the Colts. I expect Indy to draft another wideout @ 26 (Harry) or @ 34 (Butler). $10-13m is the new normal.

I got him as a throw in on a bigger deal recently and now I might actually keep him. The roster I am thinking of is thin at WR, and I like his chances to return WR3 value, maybe a little better. I don't think he is going to do anything earth shattering, but he is still only 24 (not for long but still), and the Colts will pass the ball a lot more than Carolina did. And the difference in accuracy between Luck and Newton is, well, significant. I would tend to think that Hilton, Ebron, and either Mack/Hines out of the backfield on a given play would make life interesting for Funchess on the other side.

The bigger question is whether they draft one of the top WRs and that guy emerges as the WR1/2, marginalizing Funchess. I'd say it is likely, but this signing has moved Funchess into my hold column in the one league I am weakest at WR in, at least for now. I can see him having WR1 upside in a given week, making him a reasonable depth WR. In that league it will come down to Funchess, Tim Patrick, or David Moore for my last WR spot, possibly 2. If I had him in most of my others, he would not make the cut (today). 

Perriman signed 1/4mm with the Browns - if I was him, I’d fire my agent and hire the agent that orchestrated this 1/10mm deal.

Frank Reich was elated watching Devin Funchess on film. Loved the fact a big, "physical monster" has the feet he does & runs routes like he does.

Turns out Funchess was absolutely OUTSTANDING (80% success) on the 2 routes Luck threw the most last year under Reich: curls & outs. https://t.co/rC6qRgIZuR

Frank Reich was elated watching Devin Funchess on film. Loved the fact a big, "physical monster" has the feet he does & runs routes like he does.

Turns out Funchess was absolutely OUTSTANDING (80% success) on the 2 routes Luck threw the most last year under Reich: curls & outs. https://t.co/rC6qRgIZuR
He's pretty elusive for his size. But, as far as I know, he doesnt play to his size in jump ball scenarios.

This guy can be Andrew Luck's Marcus Colston.  Big dude with a wide catch radius who can run good routes and win jump balls.  He is only 24.  Looked to be coming into his own in 2017 but regressed with an injured Cam in 2018.  Now playing alongside a guy (T.Y.) who can stretch the field and give him room to work in the middle of the field, and a QB who knows how to take advantage of it, I would not be shocked to see an 80 catch 1000 yard 10 TD season.

This may be the first time I've ever seen "run good routes" mentioned in regards to Funchess.
LOL, then you didnt read Frank Reich's evaluation of him, which was posted right above my post and was the basis of my statement.  Had you, then my post would have been the second time you had seen that evaluation.  I dont claim to be enough of an evaluator of NFL talent to judge the quality of one's route running from my 65 inch screen, even if the HD is superb.  I'd say 99% of fans simply regurgitate what they hear real evaluators say, which I am not ashamed to say is all that I was doing.

I view Funchess as a solid complementary player and don't ever see him being a true #1 WR.  Playing with Luck/Hilton/Ebron, his value just shot up in redraft, but I don't see a similar rise in dynasty because he only signed a one year deal.  The possibility that he cashes out this season and is playing as a #1 WR elsewhere in 2020-2021 has me a bit gun shy.  

Colts observations: A lot to like from Andrew Luck's receiving options

Excerpt:

Flashes from Funchess

Indianapolis gave Devin Funchess a one-year, $10 million contract in free agency because the Colts believe they can get more production out of his athletic gifts than Carolina did.

Funchess’ gifts were on full display Tuesday. On his first catch, a slant in a contested area, a defensive back arrived at the same time as the ball, and Funchess made the catch anyway. The second catch forced him to reach behind him as he ran over the middle. The third showed what a 6-4, 225-pound frame can do on a jump ball; Funchess made an acrobatic, leaping catch.

“That’s the kind of down-the-field plays (he can make),” Reich said. “Andrew loves throwing in-cuts, and we really think Devin’s a good in-cut runner. We’ll just kind of develop his whole tree so that everything complements each other.”

Reich’s comments could be typical offseason coachspeak, but Funchess might be a sneaky WR2 had for cheap. Kinda surprised how little chatter there is for a guy paired with Luck. 

Reich’s comments could be typical offseason coachspeak, but Funchess might be a sneaky WR2 had for cheap. Kinda surprised how little chatter there is for a guy paired with Luck. 
Agreed.  A lot of people have completely given up on him, but he's a WR2 on a prove it deal (for $10 mill) in a prolific offense.  In redraft, he could be a great value.  In dynasty, his age (25) works in his favor, but the one year deal and the possible development of Campbell make him more of a risky play. 

7 Takeaways From Colts Spring Offseason Program

Excerpt:

Missed Opportunity For Devin Funchess

When you return 21 of 22 starters, after making the Divisional Round of the Playoffs, it’s not likely to see a ton of offensive turnover.

But the arrival of Devin Funchess meant he would fill the playing time we saw at the No. 2 receiver spot from Ryan Grant and Dontrelle Inman last year.

Unfortunately for Funchess, Luck’s absence meant the young wideout didn’t get to receive any throwing work with his starting QB in the spring. This is particular notable because Funchess had a very high drop rate in Carolina last year.

In the handful of open periods granted to the media this spring, Funchess and Jacoby Brissett struggled to establish a consistent rapport. That didn't seem to bother Frank Reich, who praised the aptitude and route running of Funchess following the end of mini-camp.

Funchess, with a one-year, $10 million contract in hand, must change that for the Colts to achieve their lofty goals.

I have a hard time believing Funchess is going to push Parris Campbell to the #3 WR spot. I watched all his games in Carolina and saying he has stone hands isn't an exaggeration. He reminds me a lot of Rod Gardner who the Skins drafted years ago. His nickname was 50/50 for the same reason. Just frustrating as all get out to watch him drop perfectly thrown passes half of the time. Doubt Luck will stay with him if he does that on a regular basis. If he has a Ebron like resurgence I'm happy for Colts fans and I'll come back and eat crow. But I just have seen nothing from him that makes me think he is a natural hands catcher. And if he struggled with Cam's fast ball I would think he'd struggle just as much or more from Luck. These aren't noodle arm QBs throwing him the ball. 

I have a hard time believing Funchess is going to push Parris Campbell to the #3 WR spot. I watched all his games in Carolina and saying he has stone hands isn't an exaggeration. He reminds me a lot of Rod Gardner who the Skins drafted years ago. His nickname was 50/50 for the same reason. Just frustrating as all get out to watch him drop perfectly thrown passes half of the time. Doubt Luck will stay with him if he does that on a regular basis. If he has a Ebron like resurgence I'm happy for Colts fans and I'll come back and eat crow. But I just have seen nothing from him that makes me think he is a natural hands catcher. And if he struggled with Cam's fast ball I would think he'd struggle just as much or more from Luck. These aren't noodle arm QBs throwing him the ball. 
I have to disagree, at least from the start.  Devin isn't "pushing" Parris to the #3 spot - he is already there.  The #2 spot is Devin's to lose.  And to struggle "more" with Luck vs Newton?  Come on, man!  Indy has lots of passing TD's to go around, and they brought in a RZ target for just that purpose.  Devin will get every opportunity to cement himself alongside Hilton.

Users who are viewing this thread