What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Will they shut him down this week?  Now a groin injury? 
If Rodgers doesn't play the rest of the season, I personally think his legacy starts to be effected a bit. He was healthy enough to finish last season, but didn't, doing it again, and the conversation becomes if he is a bit of a front runner. His leadership has been majorly questioned this year, and unless he's physically incapable of playing(which is highly unlikely) he needs to be out there.

Steve McNair and Rich Gannon both won NFL MVP. 

Let's give it a season or two (or a decade?) before anointing the next great QB.  Rodgers has been doing it for 14 years.
Rodgers has been doing it for 11 years. His 1st 3 years he didn't do much more than me.

The Rich Gannon shade is a little strange. His career was unconventional, but at his peak he was playing a lot better than Rodgers has in 3 of the last 4 years. Gannon was arguably the best player in the NFL from 99-02. AFC Kurt Warner basically. 

If Rodgers doesn't play the rest of the season, I personally think his legacy starts to be effected a bit. He was healthy enough to finish last season, but didn't, doing it again, and the conversation becomes if he is a bit of a front runner. His leadership has been majorly questioned this year, and unless he's physically incapable of playing(which is highly unlikely) he needs to be out there.
That is absolutely not true.  He came back early and played in the Carolina game when the Packers still had a playoff shot.  Anyone who watched that game would tell you he wasn't healthy....far from it.  He couldn't throw a deep ball and his normal velocity wasn't there.  The Packers shut hit down once eliminated from playoff contention for good reason.

Miro Z said:
At the risk of stating the obvious, it clearly takes time for WRs to get used to playing the Packers offense with Rodgers.

If you look at Packers WRs in the Rodgers era, they typically spent 2-3 years learning the ropes before starting.

This was true of players like Nelson and Cobb, and more recently Adams.

This year, with Nelson gone and Cobb injured, you would have expected a guy like Allison to take the next step forward, but he got hurt too.

As a consequence they have been forced to use kids like ESB and MVS way earlier than they would have liked.

Even a Hall of Famer would struggle throwing to raw, low-drafted kids like that.
I'm tired of the rookie WR excuse.  Cobb and Graham were out there against the Bears and Rodgers struggled to connect with those 2 all game.  All season for that matter.  I know Cobb's missed some games but those WR's can and do get open yet Rodgers is just missing them.  MVS was wide open on a deep ball and Rodgers flat out missed him.  Whether it was the early season knee injury I don't know but Rodgers had a crap year by his standards.  He seems to afraid to throw a pick he absolutely waits until a guy is wide open so the result is more sacks and throw aways on his part.  That's on Rodgers...take a few more chances...trust the guys you have.

Rodgers has been doing it for 11 years. His 1st 3 years he didn't do much more than me.

The Rich Gannon shade is a little strange. His career was unconventional, but at his peak he was playing a lot better than Rodgers has in 3 of the last 4 years. Gannon was arguably the best player in the NFL from 99-02. AFC Kurt Warner basically. 
Gannon was fairly impressive in that time frame, but to say he was playing better than Rodgers is silly. Even this year Rodgers' passer rating is equal to Gannon's best year, and two years ago he threw 40 TDs, 12 more than Gannon ever threw. 

He seems to afraid to throw a pick he absolutely waits until a guy is wide open so the result is more sacks and throw aways on his part.  That's on Rodgers...take a few more chances...trust the guys you have.
I'm fully with you on this. The media makes a big deal about these amazingly low INT numbers, but sometimes, as you say... maybe just an indication that the QB is not trusting others to complete the play. Not sure if he's done it his entire career, but in 2018 for sure he has been holding the ball too long and even unwilling to dump off to the RBs.

This similar to the Alex Smith syndrome... applauded for his high completion pct. and passer rating... but in reality it's a dink and dunk show with little actual point production.

He seems to afraid to throw a pick he absolutely waits until a guy is wide open so the result is more sacks and throw aways on his part.  That's on Rodgers...take a few more chances...trust the guys you have.
That's exactly what it looks like. He's holding the ball way too long.

I'm tired of the rookie WR excuse.  Cobb and Graham were out there against the Bears and Rodgers struggled to connect with those 2 all game.  All season for that matter.  I know Cobb's missed some games but those WR's can and do get open yet Rodgers is just missing them.  MVS was wide open on a deep ball and Rodgers flat out missed him.  Whether it was the early season knee injury I don't know but Rodgers had a crap year by his standards.  He seems to afraid to throw a pick he absolutely waits until a guy is wide open so the result is more sacks and throw aways on his part.  That's on Rodgers...take a few more chances...trust the guys you have.
He obviously doesn’t trust anyone but Adams, whether he’s right or not I don’t watch close enough to say for sure but in general they look pretty poor to me. I expect him to bounce back next year but people are really blowing things out of proportion. How many times have qbs like Brees, Rivers and Brady been written off after a bad stretch? He has lots of great years left in him. He’s a long way from being done or even on the decline.

He obviously doesn’t trust anyone but Adams, whether he’s right or not I don’t watch close enough to say for sure but in general they look pretty poor to me. I expect him to bounce back next year but people are really blowing things out of proportion. How many times have qbs like Brees, Rivers and Brady been written off after a bad stretch? He has lots of great years left in him. He’s a long way from being done or even on the decline. 
Maybe, maybe not.  Guys do fade and the injuries have piled up.  Seasons can slip by due to injury or poor coaching/supporting cast.

Agreed and I’m not writing him off but the whole team has played poorly this year including Rodgers. Just tired of some Packer fans blaming everyone else but him.  I have no doubt they will be a potent offense once again next year.

Miro Z said:
At the risk of stating the obvious, it clearly takes time for WRs to get used to playing the Packers offense with Rodgers.

If you look at Packers WRs in the Rodgers era, they typically spent 2-3 years learning the ropes before starting.

This was true of players like Nelson and Cobb, and more recently Adams.

This year, with Nelson gone and Cobb injured, you would have expected a guy like Allison to take the next step forward, but he got hurt too.

As a consequence they have been forced to use kids like ESB and MVS way earlier than they would have liked.

Even a Hall of Famer would struggle throwing to raw, low-drafted kids like that.
Might want to look back a few weeks to where future Hall of Famer Drew Brees disproved this by tossing TDs to everyone on the roster that nobody had ever heard of, making guys like Dan Arnold instant fantasy names.

Or at Tom Brady making a career out of turning mediocre nobodies at WR into producers at the NFL and fantasy level.

Rodgers is a pure example of how people value name and not production.

Aaron Rodgers is no longer who he was. He isnt good anymore, people see those 2 INTs and say he isnt turning the ball over, yeah, and he isnt trying for TDs or contested catches with his WRs ether. basically why they dont move the ball and why they are not winning while struggling to score. His accuracy is awful, it needs to be said and he has avg well under 2 TDs per game this year and he has only 2 games of 3 TDs or more. But he isnt on a decline? He has an elite WR and they finally get him a good TE and they dont use him. Rodgers stnks, its ok to say when former good players are stinking.

Rodgers stinks.

He is not a top 10 QB in any fantasy league I am in.He isnt elite anymore, he is just another guy. For a guy who knows how to use the wheels he has no rushing TDs, spare me his early season injury here in week 15.

He will be a top end pick next year, but he has proven he is no longer elite. He IS just another QB now.

A guy in his 2nd year can throw no look passes, but a former MVP cant avg more than 1.5 TDs a game, when a 2nd year player is avg 3+?
Pleas stop letting Rodgers off because of his past, I have seen him cut this season in some redrafts towards the end of the season here, because...Josh Johnson can be thrown in your lineup and produce more, know how I know? Johnson has produced better than Rodgers the last 2 weeks? But we are gonna pretend like Rodgers is still good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to look back a few weeks to where future Hall of Famer Drew Brees disproved this by tossing TDs to everyone on the roster that nobody had ever heard of, making guys like Dan Arnold instant fantasy names.

Or at Tom Brady making a career out of turning mediocre nobodies at WR into producers at the NFL and fantasy level.
But actually the Brees example makes my point for me. He had one good game vs the Falcons where he threw TDs to the no-names and since then has been in somewhat of a slump by his standards.

Similarly compare Brady's numbers in 2006 when he was throwing to Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney, and 2007, when he was throwing to Randy Moss, Wes Welker etc.

Graham has been playing with a broken thumb and Cobb is clearly not the player he was.

I hear you about Rodgers missing MVS, but I think what optically looks like Rodgers missing is actually Rodgers having poor timing with a scrub WR.

The excessive caution point is justified, but he's waiting for guys to be wide open because he clearly doesn't trust them to make the play.

Graham has been playing with a broken thumb and Cobb is clearly not the player he was.

I hear you about Rodgers missing MVS, but I think what optically looks like Rodgers missing is actually Rodgers having poor timing with a scrub WR.

The excessive caution point is justified, but he's waiting for guys to be wide open because he clearly doesn't trust them to make the play.
The bolded seems like him then.  If you are an all pro guy...put it where your guy has a chance and not the defender.  Ive watched Rivers do that often this year with his shot put arm.  Why can Rodgers not do it with a cannon.

One recently he was praised for zinging by a defender's helmet...(against Seattle maybe?).  it was only close like that because of a poor throw, the WR (Adams I believe) was beyond the defender and had to reach back a tiny bit for it rather than catching in stride.

I don't think its scrub receivers as to why he is missing...he is just misfiring on many routes right now, including deep routes where he used to be extremely accurate.  Guys are open, he is missing (even with Adams).

The bolded seems like him then.  If you are an all pro guy...put it where your guy has a chance and not the defender.  Ive watched Rivers do that often this year with his shot put arm.  Why can Rodgers not do it with a cannon.

One recently he was praised for zinging by a defender's helmet...(against Seattle maybe?).  it was only close like that because of a poor throw, the WR (Adams I believe) was beyond the defender and had to reach back a tiny bit for it rather than catching in stride.

I don't think its scrub receivers as to why he is missing...he is just misfiring on many routes right now, including deep routes where he used to be extremely accurate.  Guys are open, he is missing (even with Adams).
Agreed but let's blame everybody but Aaron.  I love Aaron and think he's potentially still a great player but he had a mediocre season.  Not sure why that's so difficult for some people to admit.  Not piling on him though most of my Packer anger is directed at TT and Mark Murphy. And Murphy only because he didn't have the stones to fire TT a couple of years ago when he should have.  TT's really put this team in a bind with his terrible drafts.

Yea this is a tough one. It sure seems like he's not taking enough risks.  359 passes without an INT, 18:1 rate on the year, and twice as many throwaways as any other QB?  He definitely took more chances earlier in his career.  Maybe he's losing his edge.
Maybe compared to his 2018 self that's true, but A-Rod has never, ever been anything close to a gunslinger. He hasn't thrown more than 11 picks since his rookie season. Other than Brady, whose entire career has been built around precision timing passes, his HOF-caliber peers all average more INTs a season than that.

The difference between early-career Rodgers and current Rodgers is that 2000's A-Rod would take a sack rather than force up a 50/50 ball (he was sacked 200+ times in his first 5 years as a starter), where the current iteration simply throws the ball away. In a way that's the smart decision, since it neither loses yardage nor risks a turnover - but seen another way it's a win for the defense, since 5 years ago defenses that thought they could choose between "sack" and "throwaway" often fell prey to Option C of "scramble a dozen yards for a first down". The increase in throwaways may well be directly tied to him not being able to pull off Option C on one good leg.

It's also possible that he realizes his old style won't work for him as he nears 40 and he's making this his personal transition year into being a true pocket passer. I haven't seen any hard data as to what percentage of throws he's making from outside the pocket vs. in years past to know if that's anything more than a WAG of mine.

Aaron Rodgers is no longer who he was. He isnt good anymore, people see those 2 INTs and say he isnt turning the ball over, yeah, and he isnt trying for TDs or contested catches with his WRs ether. basically why they dont move the ball and why they are not winning while struggling to score. His accuracy is awful, it needs to be said and he has avg well under 2 TDs per game this year and he has only 2 games of 3 TDs or more. But he isnt on a decline? He has an elite WR and they finally get him a good TE and they dont use him. Rodgers stnks, its ok to say when former good players are stinking.

Rodgers stinks.

He is not a top 10 QB in any fantasy league I am in.He isnt elite anymore, he is just another guy. For a guy who knows how to use the wheels he has no rushing TDs, spare me his early season injury here in week 15.

He will be a top end pick next year, but he has proven he is no longer elite. He IS just another QB now.
Did you know that Drew Brees finished as QB9 last year? Lots of people saying he was done.

Rodgers is still among the best in the league, and plenty young enough. With a new coach he is very likely to have a very different year in 2019.

Gannon was fairly impressive in that time frame, but to say he was playing better than Rodgers is silly. Even this year Rodgers' passer rating is equal to Gannon's best year, and two years ago he threw 40 TDs, 12 more than Gannon ever threw. 
I strongly disagree that Rodgers 2015-2018 is better than Gannon 1999-2002. TD passes and passer rating are much easier to come by right now. Gannon won an MVP, and arguably should have won another in 2000.  Rodgers hasn't had an MVP caliber season during the last 4 years. Gannon got hurt in the 2000 playoffs on a hit that would result in an immediate ejection today, they were hanging with that incredible Ravens team before that, and in 2001 got jobbed in the tuck rule game. 

I'm not saying Gannon had a better overall career than Rodgers(obviously) but I was just responding to the other poster who in not so many words, called Gannon a fluky 1-year wonder. I'll end that there, because this thread is about Rodgers and not Gannon.

As for Rodgers, If he sits this week, with a minor injury, after getting McCarthy fired, I think his leadership needs to be strongly questioned. Its another point where Rodgers legacy falls well short of Favre.

I strongly disagree that Rodgers 2015-2018 is better than Gannon 1999-2002. TD passes and passer rating are much easier to come by right now. Gannon won an MVP, and arguably should have won another in 2000.  Rodgers hasn't had an MVP caliber season during the last 4 years. Gannon got hurt in the 2000 playoffs on a hit that would result in an immediate ejection today, they were hanging with that incredible Ravens team before that, and in 2001 got jobbed in the tuck rule game. 

I'm not saying Gannon had a better overall career than Rodgers(obviously) but I was just responding to the other poster who in not so many words, called Gannon a fluky 1-year wonder. I'll end that there, because this thread is about Rodgers and not Gannon.

As for Rodgers, If he sits this week, with a minor injury, after getting McCarthy fired, I think his leadership needs to be strongly questioned. Its another point where Rodgers legacy falls well short of Favre.
For Rodgers' legacy to match Favre's he'd have to screw over the team by talking about retiring up until the deadline every year, retiring and then unretiring to force a trade, and then go play for a division rival.

McCarthy sucked; it's only Rodgers' play which has kept him in his job for years. That was also true of Favre and Mike Sherman, for what that's worth.

tackle for loss said:

Rodgers stinks.

A guy in his 2nd year can throw no look passes, but a former MVP cant avg more than 1.5 TDs a game, when a 2nd year player is avg 3+?
Pleas stop letting Rodgers off because of his past, I have seen him cut this season in some redrafts towards the end of the season here, because...Josh Johnson can be thrown in your lineup and produce more, know how I know? Johnson has produced better than Rodgers the last 2 weeks? But we are gonna pretend like Rodgers is still good?
LMFAO.

You have a point about Rodgers, but don't act like all the same things can't be said of sorry a$$ Jimmy Graham. 

I traded for him before the season started, that's why he was off his game this year. So, you're welcome fellow fantasy players!  Now might be a time to sell because I plan to hold on to him and hope he gets back to his QB1 ways. 

Just got the Friday night players in the news email and it said Aaron Rodgers did not practice on Friday and is not expected to play this weekend.  WTH?  All I have heard all week is how Rodgers is going to play.

LOL - The Friday night rankings email just came and Rodgers is ranked 7th.

Did you know that Drew Brees finished as QB9 last year? Lots of people saying he was done.

Rodgers is still among the best in the league, and plenty young enough. With a new coach he is very likely to have a very different year in 2019.
Brees numbers were down because they were running the ball great and were winning games doing so...  I don't remember anyone questioning Brees' ability.

As for Rogers, he turns 36 in 2019.  Maybe Brady and Brees are the exceptions playing at an advanced age.  There are no guarantees.  Personally, I think he has slipped.

Brees numbers were down because they were running the ball great and were winning games doing so...  I don't remember anyone questioning Brees' ability.

As for Rogers, he turns 36 in 2019.  Maybe Brady and Brees are the exceptions playing at an advanced age.  There are no guarantees.  Personally, I think he has slipped.
Manning threw 55 TDs at age 37. Rivers is 37 this year. Steve Young, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, John Elway, Dan Marino all had Pro Bowl seasons after age 36.

Manning threw 55 TDs at age 37. Rivers is 37 this year. Steve Young, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, John Elway, Dan Marino all had Pro Bowl seasons after age 36.
Yet it doesn't take much in athletic decline to slip from elite to average.  Injuries have accumulated and Rodgers is struggling.  It may or may not turn around.

Yet it doesn't take much in athletic decline to slip from elite to average.  Injuries have accumulated and Rodgers is struggling.  It may or may not turn around.
QB is not a very athletic position, I think that's the point. Of QBs who have played in the past 30 years, there are nine HOFers, plus Brees and Brady going to the HOF at least. Of those 11, 9 have had Pro Bowl seasons after age 36 (missing: Kelly, Aikman, clearly the two weakest of the class).

There's nothing physically wrong with Rodgers's arm. He'll be back.

So happy I played Rodgers over Rivers in my championship game.  Going against Ertz/Hopkins/Hilton and Rodgers has me slightly in the lead.  

Rodgers giveth and he taketh away ...at least for me.

He carried me into a week 17 championship game with his great performance in week 16, but I lost the championship by less than 3 points. 

Oh well hope he is ok

By the time he hangs it up he will be on everyones QB Mount Rushmore.  He is the best combo of smarts, arm, mobility we have seen.

Going way out on a limb here........there will be some reaon he can't make the pro bowl, and don't blame him.  Time to dump that silly game.

I am not sure the type of criticism is being leveled at Rodgers but he is deserving of criticism. I saw a player whose mechanics were off. He was constantly throwing off his back foot, making his throws in accurate. I don't know if it was due to his knee and complacency (😳). Hopefully the latter. I think the coaching change may reinvigorate Rodgers. 

A Bleacher Report deep dive into Aaron Rodgers' relationship with ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthy paints an unflattering picture of both men.

We already posted about the article's McCarthy contents, but it also shows a quarterback who, while obviously not the main problem, did not make things any easier. Some ex-teammates appear to have an axe to grind, but they paint Rodgers as insecure and too quick to hold a grudge. Unsurprisingly, Rodgers reportedly freelanced in the huddle as much as he listened to his coach. Rodgers' distaste for McCarthy supposedly goes all the way back to 2005, when McCarthy's 49ers passed on him. Never exactly known as the most cuddly of personalities, this article only reinforces Rodgers as a prickly pear.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 4, 2019, 1:33 PM

Users who are viewing this thread