What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

Barca putting on a clinic now
No kidding. I don't watch much La Liga, due to availability on TV, but I definitely would enjoy it based on this.
They actually show 2-3 La Liga Games every week (including every Barca match) via many cable tv packages.

Barca are just decimating City here in the first half. Playing in Europe has become a mental hang up for City. They are so much better than this. You can hear the fans groan with each Barca attack forward.
yeah, I know, I just don't have those channels...I am actually considering throwing out Comcast and going u-verse. Anyone here with experience from both, from a EPL perspective primarily, but also soccer in general.
Uverse guy here. They have more soccer than you are able to watch in a week. Fox Sports (multiple Champions League games on now), BEIN (La Liga, Serie A), NBCNH (EPL) GOL (Bundesliga) and so much more.
Do they have EPL on demand via NBC Sports too? (showing All epl games)
Im not sure. I'll bet you NR can answer that.
I don't have uverse but looking at the schedule I think they do have EPL Extra time.

http://uverse.com/uverse/barclays
confirmed - I have the NBC app on my tablet and can watch games and highlights using my Uverse account info.
Much appreciated. Thank you to all that contributed.

Messi should never take a PK again. I can't believe he keeps taking them.
"MY GOD, MAN! WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT?! SACRILEGE! CLEARLY IT WAS HIS INTENTION TO MISS...AND WHAT A MISS IT WAS! MAGESTE-E-E-RIAL MISCALCULATION FROM MESSI! #### YOU, PHIL!

Pretty good result for Montreal tonight in the CCL Quarter Finals. They drew 2-2 on the road at Pachuca. Given that this was their first game of the year, that is a pretty good score for the road leg. It gives them a chance to advance to the semi finals next week at home.

Pretty good result for Montreal tonight in the CCL Quarter Finals. They drew 2-2 on the road at Pachuca. Given that this was their first game of the year, that is a pretty good score for the road leg. It gives them a chance to advance to the semi finals next week at home.
Wow, that is a great result. I thought they'd get smoked.

I forget... away goals count, or is it just total goals?

Wow, that is a great result. I thought they'd get smoked.

I forget... away goals count, or is it just total goals?
Away goals rule is in affect.

funny- I never even considered trying to grow the MLS brand outside the US... but of course. very cool bit of news.
I think Canada is the biggest growth opportunity, but aside from them, MLS and US Soccer(via SUM) recently partnered with IMG for international rights distribution and this looks to be the first deal to come out of that.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/10/22/mls-us-soccer-partner-img-market-media-rights-until-2022

Last edited by a moderator:
funny- I never even considered trying to grow the MLS brand outside the US... but of course. very cool bit of news.
Me either, but broadcasters need content so why not. Great deal for MLS. If they play. [/Andy]
It is interesting they announced this deal right in the middle of CBA. It just gives the players yet another item to point to for revenue.

Me either, but broadcasters need content so why not. Great deal for MLS. If they play. [/Andy]
It is interesting they announced this deal right in the middle of CBA. It just gives the players yet another item to point to for revenue.
but it sounds like raised salaries won't be the sticking point here, correct? IIRC, the owners seem more open to that than FA?

I didn't see any numbers in the releases. My guess is that this is a pretty small deal that generates potential exposure without bringing in enough revenue to really move the needle in CBA negotiations (which are hung up on structural issues that are less dependent on the actual data on revenue distribution this time anyway).

but it sounds like raised salaries won't be the sticking point here, correct? IIRC, the owners seem more open to that than FA?
From what little we have heard from the owners, what you said is true.

But the players continue to say both salary and free agency are the two big issues left to solve so who knows.

The PR rhetoric from the players has been mismanaged imo. They would have done better to keep their mouths shut like the owners mostly have.

I think what is going to happen is that the players are likely to get a better overall deal than most would have expected 6 months ago, but might be perceived as being the losers in the negotiations because of the PR lines they have drawn in the sand.

I didn't see any numbers in the releases. My guess is that this is a pretty small deal that generates potential exposure without bringing in enough revenue to really move the needle in CBA negotiations (which are hung up on structural issues that are less dependent on the actual data on revenue distribution this time anyway).
I am sure the revenue is relatively small but it might be the biggest deal after the US and Canada.

QuizGuy66 said:
MLS is the like the Friday Night Curling of England :D
Probably not far off.

The Lampard and Gerrard signings probably helped this deal get done to help get some name recognition for the broadcasts.

I assume they are taking the ESPN/Fox Sunday doubleheader each week but given the time difference I am not sure.

I think the players are picking the right fight, but I also think PR is largely irrelevant in these things. When I think of collective bargaining, I am reminded of Churchill's quote about democracy. As a means of defraying the power imbalance between owners and players, collective bargaining is the worst system except for all the others. Particularly when the union war chest is less than $10 million.

I think the players are picking the right fight, but I also think PR is largely irrelevant in these things. When I think of collective bargaining, I am reminded of Churchill's quote about democracy. As a means of defraying the power imbalance between owners and players, collective bargaining is the worst system except for all the others. Particularly when the union war chest is less than $10 million.
plus, in the morning I'll be sober and you'll still be ugly.

I think they are picking the right fight but being publicly verbal about it is doing them more harm than good imo. They are almost forcing themselves into a position to strike else they will be left impotent in threatening this tactic in a future CBA. Just shut up and get the best deal you can.

The last article I read pegged the war chest between 5 and 6 million which means that a work stoppage won't last very long.

QuizGuy66 said:
MLS is the like the Friday Night Curling of England :D
Probably not far off.

The Lampard and Gerrard signings probably helped this deal get done to help get some name recognition for the broadcasts.

I assume they are taking the ESPN/Fox Sunday doubleheader each week but given the time difference I am not sure.
More good British press for MLS :oldunsure:

I like how they're scrambling for photos by the end of the article..."I dunno, find some Brits or Irish people and slap some pictures into this thing so we can publish it".

wdcrob said:
El Floppo said:
NewlyRetired said:
Just noticed this tidbit from one of the Sky Sports stories about MLS. Probably more hype than substance but the league branching out can only lead to more exposure.

http://www.vavel.com/en-us/soccer/455152-sky-sports-to-televise-mls-matches.html

It was also said a couple of weeks ago by Orlando City owner Flavio Augusto da Silva that there was a bidding "war" in Brazil for the TV rights and that an announcement would come before the season.

Giroud, Welbeck, Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla all started for Arsenal. Shocked that they'd concede a goal with such a defensively solid lineup.

Just read an intriguing piece(espnsoccer) on Arsene Wenger's days as manager of Monaco...had no idea of the corruption prevalent within Marseilles club and Wenger's subsequent conflict with their owner...poor ol' ####...BERBATOV!

wow. Berbatov. had no idea the Count was still around
The med school at my undergrad college had a team in the flag football league that had played since forever. The QB for their team was probably 25-30 (which was super old to us) and before the game he'd go out on the field with a lit cig in his mouth and throw maybe four or five passes to warm up. Languid, slow-moving, unhurried -- and pretty good.

Berbatov reminds me of that guy.

Users who are viewing this thread