What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

You can't pause live games, but if you set it to record a game, you can essentially do the same (pause, re-wind, jump ahead to live, etc.) from the recording.

Just for a totally hypothetical example, with no basis in reality -- if you're late to watch a game due to Sunday morning commitments, but notice there was a red card in the 45th minute, you potentially could skip ahead, watch the red card, see that the score is now 0-2 and decide to watch the Packer game instead.
How do I pre record a match though or does it do it automatically? Next week Newcastle play at 9AM essentially the same time I have to be at work at so I'd like to go home and watch it after work and after the Eagles/Bengals game 

Yeah... I watched replays over the weekend since it was so nice and I was outside with the kids. 

Not sure about the recording angle...I'm using it through my phone and chromecasting.

:oldunsure:

Spurs are scheduled to play Leyton Orient tomorrow in the League Cup - but Leyton Orient confirmed today:

"We have received formal confirmation that a number of our first-team squad have tested positive for COVID-19."

Game is now in doubt, but the bigger concern is potential spread within teams.  I am sure the bigger teams have taken more precautions than the smaller teams - but just a reminder how quickly it can spread if anyone lets their guard down.

(Interesting side note about Leyton Orient - Harry Kane played there on loan, and he is now one of their Shirt sponsors for this season.)
A little back story - someone should get sacked for letting it get this far:

The majority of Leyton Orient’s first team squad have tested positive for Covid-19, leading to the expectation that their Carabao Cup game at home to Tottenham on Tuesday will be called off, with a decision set for the morning, and serious questions being asked about the biosecurity of League Two.

The testing of players is not mandatory in the English Football League – as it is in the Premier League – with the authorities content to insist on stringent hygiene measures and work-place social distancing. They say that the evidence shows there is a minimal risk of transition of the virus via training and playing outdoors.

Spurs, though, wanted a degree of reassurance before the third-round tie and they paid for Orient’s first-team squad to be tested after the 2-2 draw at home to Mansfield on Saturday. The huge number of positive results – understood to be well into double figures – have shocked the east London club, with Orient announcing on Monday lunchtime that they had closed their stadium and training ground until further notice.

The Guardian understands that Mansfield plan to lodge a formal complaint with the EFL, arguing that Orient players should have been tested before Saturday’s match given their manager, Ross Embleton, revealed there were a “number of people suffering with illnesses” in his pre-match press conference.

At the time Embleton stressed it was “not a Covid issue for any of us to worry about” and after the game he revealed that as many as “nine players” were struggling to play because of a “bug”. Orient’s doctor and head physio conducted regular medical checks and are understood to have felt comfortable the symptoms reported by players were unrelated to Covid-19 until last Friday, when it became apparent a couple of players were suffering from symptoms linked to the virus. As a precaution those players were not involved against Mansfield; they are thought to be among the positive tests.

No reason all the lower EFL teams shouldn't be required to be tested regularly. 

If it is a cost concern then the governing body should pick up the tab. Hell, the PL teams could chip in to cover it and most wouldn't even notice it in their budgets.   

If it's a money thing, then it should come out of the coffers for the league cup.  Winner gets a smaller share this year so that everyone in English football can have a test before each game...  should be simple to figure out.

I was looking at the Europa League results from last week, and the TSC Backa Topola v FCSB match jumped out at me. (Serbian v Romanian)
TSC scored in the 11th and 14th to go up 2-0.  FCSB scored in the 25th to make it 2-1.
Then in the 50th minute FCSB equalized, 2-2 .... only to have TSC go ahead a minute later 3-2.
FCSB equalizes again in the 63rd on a penalty. 3-3

Then in the 90+3rd mintue, TSC has an own goal and FCSB has its first lead of the match ... only to have TSC equalize a minute later 4-4
Extra Time
FCSB pulls ahead in the 105th minute! ... only to have TSC equalize a minute later 5-5
FCSB pulls ahead again in the 108th minute ... this time it takes TSC 9 minutes to equalize 6-6
:loco:
I think maybe FCSB should work on celebrating less after scoring, they obviously have an issue refocusing.

FCB wins 5-4 on penalties.

uh oh. :oldunsure:

Sam Inkersole

@Sam_InkersoleTM

Full story on West Ham manager David Moyes, defender Issa Diop and midfielder Josh Cullen all testing positive for Covdi-19.

I hope these are false-positives.  But with Leyton Orient having 18 players test positive, and cases in general ticking up in Europe/England - these are worrying signs.

This might be something to keep in mind at Newcastle 

Two of Steve Bruce’s senior Newcastle United medical staff have been stood down from their roles amid an internal investigation First-team physio Michael Harding and soft tissue therapist Wayne Farrage have not been seen at the club for the past week #NUFC

uh oh. :oldunsure:

Sam Inkersole

@Sam_InkersoleTM

Full story on West Ham manager David Moyes, defender Issa Diop and midfielder Josh Cullen all testing positive for Covdi-19.

I hope these are false-positives.  But with Leyton Orient having 18 players test positive, and cases in general ticking up in Europe/England - these are worrying signs.
Positive Tests in Newcastle Academy 

Covid-19 among our Academy There have been several confirmed cases of Covid-19 inside Newcastle’s academy This has led to a strict separation of first-team & academy players and staff. Younger players no longer being called on to train with the senior squad #NUFC

Ollie Bayliss @Ollie_Bayliss

81% of National League North clubs say they don’t want to start the season without either fans or financial support.

I am not following this story too closely - but I think England has ruled out spectator for the near/intermediate future.  I think I read somewhere that March is the target for allowing crowds.  Obviously at the lower levels, fans in the stands are the primary source of revenue, and without it, makes the league financially non-viable.

Covid has tested positive for Zlatan.

AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has tested positive for coronavirus, the club confirmed on Thursday.

The news was announced by the Serie A club in a short statement ahead of the Europa League game against Bodo/Glimt.

Milan said they have "informed the relevant authorities and the player has been promptly placed in quarantine at home. All other team members and staff have tested negative."

Sinn Fein said:

Covid has tested positive for Zlatan.

AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has tested positive for coronavirus, the club confirmed on Thursday.

The news was announced by the Serie A club in a short statement ahead of the Europa League game against Bodo/Glimt.

Milan said they have "informed the relevant authorities and the player has been promptly placed in quarantine at home. All other team members and staff have tested negative."
Everyone besides Leo Duarte who tested positive 

I kind of poo-poohed Ted Lasso as not having enough bite to make it really worthwhile.

I take it back. I'm all in- love it. Need it, with so much cynical crap out there in life, politics and tv.

I honestly can't even imagine how easy life must be for a woman THAT good looking.
I'm sure she's given opportunities others aren't, just based on her looks.....

but...

She's an olympic level athlete who is now a trainer at Dortmund.  How many people are assuming it's her looks and not her athletic accomplishments that are responsible for her getting that job?

I'm sure she's given opportunities others aren't, just based on her looks.....

but...

She's an olympic level athlete who is now a trainer at Dortmund.  How many people are assuming it's her looks and not her athletic accomplishments that are responsible for her getting that job?
I wasn't really talking about this job. (And it doesn't look like it's a full time gig. More like just something they were doing one time)

I just imagine that she doesn't have a very hard time in life in general. Guessing things tend to work out for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way Zlatan is playing, he is going to have to retire to MLS, again, in a couple of years.

3 goals in 2 games to start the season for Milan including a brace today in the Serie A opener for Milan.

14 goals in his first 22 games for Milan.
The ESPNFC guys for the exception of Gabe (Who knows his stuff) all said he was a horrible signing. Never doubt a king. Especially one in his comfy Jungle. COVID is fighting for its life right now with Zlatan btw. 

Graham carr speaks out...

Newcastle’s ex-scout Graham Carr has quite a list of players that he failed to convince the Magpies to sign.

In a far-ranging interview with the Daily Mail, Carr recalls endorsing a number of Europe’s greatest talents when they could have been signed for a fraction of what they’re worth now.

Carr also remembers travelling with Ashley to watch Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang play in his early twenties but the Newcastle owner didn’t even know which player he was supposed to be looking at.

Carr said: “If the club were honest and went through the records… Hakim Ziyech, Wilfred Ndidi, James Maddison. I saw Raphael Varane play for Lens when he was 17 and I called Derek Llambias (managing director) that night. You get excited when you spot one.

This got off fast 

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

AC Milan have opened talks to sign Jens Petter Hauge, left winger born in 1999, Bodø/Glimt young-star who scored a great goal yesterday in San Siro. Milan are considering to sign him - talks ongoing and first official bid to be made soon. #ACM

@SkySport

AC Milan are ‘confident’ to complete the deal for Jens-Petter Hauge on next few days. The agreement with Bodø Glimt is now getting closer - Hauge is keen to join AC Milan. ‘Here we go’ expected on next week.

@SkySport

#Milan #transfers

So a week to go before the transfer deadline and thus far, Man United's only signing has been van de Beek.

They've played 2 games, and have been outplayed in each against sides that maybe 2-3 players total would fit into United's starting 11.  Yet, United's problem is their transfers?  No, it's their manager, imho.  He's not very good at all tactically.   I mean, sure I could pick a starting 11 from that squad and it would be fine, it's mid-game adjustments that Ole simply doesn't make.  Yet, United fans/press/management still think transfers will solve this problem?  It's ####### madness.  They need a coach.  They need a director of operations that knows wtf he is doing.  Yes, they need to get deals done, but they are still chasing after Sancho like Dortmund is all of the sudden going to say "Okay, you got us, we'll take 33% off our asking price now".  Make a bid, move on.  Now they are going after Telles who's a fine player, but really there are better options available, imho.  They #### the bed with Reguillon.   If they can't get the deal done with Telles, grab Tagliafico asap.  By the time they get their player and get acclimated, they'll be lucky to be within shouting distance of the top 4.  So annoying it's unreal.  And it's been the same thing for the past few years  now.  

Speaking of poor coaching decisions, Pirlo has a few lessons to learn at Juve as well.  And I'm quite surprised by the performances of Dortmund and BM over the weekend as well.  I like the way Hoffenheim play, I've liked them a lot since Nagelson took over and they still play the same.  But Bayern didn't adjust and kept the high press which was exploited time and time and time again.  And Dortmund getting shut out by Augsburg is inexcusable.  They tried passing the ball into the net, similar to the way Arsenal played back 4-5 years ago, rather than get the ball to Haaland, they want to make the beautiful goal.  The ugly one's count just the same.  

I'm looking forward to today's Arsenal/Pool tilt, and frankly if Liverpool win this one, may as well hand them the league.  City can't put away Leicester who were without 2 of their best players from the starting 11 as well (not to mention they lost Chillwell in the offseason).  And West Ham was quite impressive as they fight off relegation - but I don't know wtf Moyes doing.  They spend big on Haller and basically he now only features in cup games.  And Anderson and Lanzini were on the bench for this one as well?  I mean I don't know if they were not fit or what, but the fact the Hammers put up 4 with three of their highest rated players on the bench, maybe Moyes is a mad genius?  I dunno.

So a week to go before the transfer deadline and thus far, Man United's only signing has been van de Beek.

They've played 2 games, and have been outplayed in each against sides that maybe 2-3 players total would fit into United's starting 11.  Yet, United's problem is their transfers?  No, it's their manager, imho.  He's not very good at all tactically.   I mean, sure I could pick a starting 11 from that squad and it would be fine, it's mid-game adjustments that Ole simply doesn't make.  Yet, United fans/press/management still think transfers will solve this problem?  It's ####### madness.  They need a coach.  They need a director of operations that knows wtf he is doing.  Yes, they need to get deals done, but they are still chasing after Sancho like Dortmund is all of the sudden going to say "Okay, you got us, we'll take 33% off our asking price now".  Make a bid, move on.  Now they are going after Telles who's a fine player, but really there are better options available, imho.  They #### the bed with Reguillon.   If they can't get the deal done with Telles, grab Tagliafico asap.  By the time they get their player and get acclimated, they'll be lucky to be within shouting distance of the top 4.  So annoying it's unreal.  And it's been the same thing for the past few years  now.  
I agree with you on the play, transfers and the DoF, but not ready to agree with you on Ole (although moving Ole to the DoF position and bring in another manager could still be a good idea). 

United has absolutely no competition for starting spots.  No depth, nothing.  Players know they can't be dropped becuase there is nothing behind the top 11.  VdB is a start to that.  And Pogba may very well find himself left out if he doesn't perform.  Another attacker is sorely needed.  Especially to push those three to perform. 

But how do you expect him to adjust when you look down the bench and go, hmmm what game changers do we have and how can we change the game?  Oh right.  NONE.    You may be right.  But until the board and Woodward back the manager with the needed players, how much are you expecting him to be able to do?

Per Romano 

AC Milan and Jens-Petter Hauge agents have been in direct contact today. Milan are ‘confident’ to sign the Norvegian winger on a permanent deal from Bodø - he’d join immediatly and he’d not stay at Bodø until January. Hauge is keen to join Milan. Talks now at final stages.

Here we go!!!!

According to Daniele Longo of Calciomercato.com, the Rossoneri have reached an agreement with Bodo/Glimt for the transfer of Hauge, who is expected to join straight away. The fee of the operation will be €5m.

@AntoVitiello

Fatta! Accordo raggiunto in serata tra il #Milan e #BodoGlimt per il trasferimento di #Hauge. Trattativa andata a buon fine.@MilanNewsit

Translated from Italian by

Done! Agreement reached in the evening between #Milan is #BodoGlimt for the transfer of #Hauge . Negotiation was successful.@MilanNewsit

I agree with you on the play, transfers and the DoF, but not ready to agree with you on Ole (although moving Ole to the DoF position and bring in another manager could still be a good idea). 

United has absolutely no competition for starting spots.  No depth, nothing.  Players know they can't be dropped becuase there is nothing behind the top 11.  VdB is a start to that.  And Pogba may very well find himself left out if he doesn't perform.  Another attacker is sorely needed.  Especially to push those three to perform. 

But how do you expect him to adjust when you look down the bench and go, hmmm what game changers do we have and how can we change the game?  Oh right.  NONE.    You may be right.  But until the board and Woodward back the manager with the needed players, how much are you expecting him to be able to do?
I agree with guru.  It shouldn’t matter if you don’t have depth - the side he is putting on the pitch has quality everywhere (although the back four is debatable).  He either can’t handle the tactics or can’t get them motivated to play the “lower” table clubs.  They play with little passion and energy - fairly consistently. 

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Jens Petter Hauge is joining AC Milan. Agreement reached on personal terms and with Bodø Glimt on a permanent deal. Last details to be completed... here we go soon! #ACMilan #Hauge #transfers

AAABatteries said:
I agree with guru.  It shouldn’t matter if you don’t have depth - the side he is putting on the pitch has quality everywhere (although the back four is debatable).  He either can’t handle the tactics or can’t get them motivated to play the “lower” table clubs.  They play with little passion and energy - fairly consistently. 
Yes the motivation is a problem.  For me, I like what he is doing at the club and fall into the side of the board needing to back the manager and bring in talent.  United spends an ave of 160m when they dont make CL and 80m when they do.  We've seen them play well for sustained periods and they have shown me that depth is the biggest issue.  

And I am not saying you guys are wrong, I just want to see what he can do with board support and true depth.  Ultimately I do think he would be a great option for a Director of Football.

Paqueta will join Lyon for €21M+future resale percentage in Milan’s favour [Di Marzio] 

Kind of feel sorry for the kid. So much potential didn't work out for whatever reason. He left the team for a bit as there were rumors about some mental issues (home sick and depression) and I hope if those are true he has those fixed. Wished Milan gave him another chance. He needs to be a Trequista and play the position Kaka did but forever reason Milan decided he was a Mez'zale or Winger for ungodly reason. The matches he played behind the strikers he looked good. First match I believe he did this was in the Derby against Inter and then got Hurt was out until last 2 games of the year. Came back and was sent off on a red and suspended for the final matches. Dude has talent but when he's on the pitch tries to for too much flare instead of going simple 

Sept 29 is a big day for Milan Birthdays. Former owner Silvio Berlusconi turned 84 and former Striker and Ukraine national Team Forward Andry Shevchenko turns 44 yrs young 

Shocking developments in PL:

After ####### Spurs out of two points, the League has decided enough is enough with the "new" hand ball interpretations, and will be loosening the interpretations going forward.

Premier League referees are to take a lenient approach to applying the new handball law after an outcry from across the game.

This season there have been five penalties awarded for handball in three matchdays, compared with 19 across the whole of the last top-flight season. The change has been blamed on a new interpretation of handball which punishes a defender if the ball strikes their arm in an “unnatural” position.

After criticism from managers and players, Premier League club executives on Tuesday endorsed a change which would give referees more leeway in interpreting the law. The change has been endorsed by Ifab, the body which sets the laws of the game.

The strategy will be implemented from this weekend and it is expected to flip the approach applied in preceding weeks. Instead of looking for “unnatural” body shapes a referee will be invited to consider whether a player could be expected to have their arms in such a position given the way they were standing, or how they were interacting with opponents.

Shocking developments in PL:

After ####### Spurs out of two points, the League has decided enough is enough with the "new" hand ball interpretations, and will be loosening the interpretations going forward.

Premier League referees are to take a lenient approach to applying the new handball law after an outcry from across the game.

This season there have been five penalties awarded for handball in three matchdays, compared with 19 across the whole of the last top-flight season. The change has been blamed on a new interpretation of handball which punishes a defender if the ball strikes their arm in an “unnatural” position.

After criticism from managers and players, Premier League club executives on Tuesday endorsed a change which would give referees more leeway in interpreting the law. The change has been endorsed by Ifab, the body which sets the laws of the game.

The strategy will be implemented from this weekend and it is expected to flip the approach applied in preceding weeks. Instead of looking for “unnatural” body shapes a referee will be invited to consider whether a player could be expected to have their arms in such a position given the way they were standing, or how they were interacting with opponents.
One paper this sounds like a good plan.  As usual, the application by the refs will be interesting to see. Will it be better or will it just cause a different type of complaint.  

United had 2 handballs called for PKs, one for and one against.  I would be curious to see how they would have been called under this new interpretation.

One paper this sounds like a good plan.  As usual, the application by the refs will be interesting to see. Will it be better or will it just cause a different type of complaint.  

United had 2 handballs called for PKs, one for and one against.  I would be curious to see how they would have been called under this new interpretation.
I think what I have read - only the Dier call would have resulted in a penalty - from the calls this year.  Obviously its subjective with each ref - but in Dier's case the argument is his hands were above his shoulders - thus even accidental contact would be a pen.  (It ignores the shove that caused Dier's hands to be above his head, but whatever)

I think it will be a positive change - because without it, players will be targeting quick little flicks in the box hoping to capitalize on a easy Pen.

Oh and for a good laugh, here is how I epically failed as a father....

My 11 yo is wearing a Man United shirt to school.  Her teacher asks if she has a favorite player on the team.  She totally draws a blank on any names.  Then she tells the teacher that she doesn't have a favorite player but knows Lingard plays for the team.

LINGARD?  THATS THE ONLY NAME SHE KNOWS?!?!?! Epic failure by me.

So I tell her, next time just remember the names Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Bruno.  Oh and if you really want to blow the teacher's mind, just tell him your favorites are Christen Press and Tobin Heath.  She loved that, since her shirt didnt ref men or women and she knows who both of them are (we've been to many USWNT games).

I think what I have read - only the Dier call would have resulted in a penalty - from the calls this year.  Obviously its subjective with each ref - but in Dier's case the argument is his hands were above his shoulders - thus even accidental contact would be a pen.  (It ignores the shove that caused Dier's hands to be above his head, but whatever)

I think it will be a positive change - because without it, players will be targeting quick little flicks in the box hoping to capitalize on a easy Pen.
That's interesting since I would believe BHA's handball against United would stand even in this rule.  His arm was shoulder high and he leads with it as he blocks the header from McGuire

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/bruno-fernandes-penalty-wins-it-manchester-united-v-brighton

I do hope its a positive change.

Uh oh...

Liverpool midfielder Thiago Alcantara has tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently self-isolating according to the necessary guidelines.

The 29-year-old, who missed Monday’s match against Arsenal, has exhibited minor symptoms of the virus but is in good health and is getting better.

The club has, and will continue to follow, all protocols relating to COVID-19 and Thiago will remain in self-isolation for the required period of time.

LFC first-team doctor, Dr Jim Moxon, said: “It is the choice of each individual whether they reveal publicly the outcome of a COVID-19 test.

“We have followed all the protocols to the letter and Thiago is OK. He will be self-isolating now as per the guidelines and hopefully he’ll be back with us soon.”
TAA allegedly had it during pre-season too...

Users who are viewing this thread