What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

He makes too many head scratching mistakes to have been a starter for a team like Chelsea, but with AV?  Barkley has a ton of skill and that team with him and Grealish in the middle should scare some of the big fish.

I feel bad for Tottenham (but not Jose)

9/17 Europa
9/20 EPL (southampton)
9/24 Europa
9/27 EPL (Newcastle)
9/29 League Cup (Chelsea)
10/1 Europa
10/4 EPL (United)

7 games in 17 days

I feel bad for Tottenham (but not Jose)

9/17 Europa
9/20 EPL (southampton)
9/24 Europa
9/27 EPL (Newcastle)
9/29 League Cup (Chelsea)
10/1 Europa
10/4 EPL (United)

7 games in 17 days
Lets not count those chickens just yet...

There is still a 1-game playoff to get into Europa that takes place tomorrow.

As for Jose, he is a kinder, gentler version of his former self.  He won't turn into the grinch until next season....

Lets not count those chickens just yet...

There is still a 1-game playoff to get into Europa that takes place tomorrow.

As for Jose, he is a kinder, gentler version of his former self.  He won't turn into the grinch until next season....
:confused:

Just ment thats a lot of games in a short period of time.  Wasn't counting anything.

Chelsea match was really just a B squad + Dier/Lloris. The win was pure bonus.

Jose obviously wanted to win, but he wants to win tomorrow more - so you can see the irony forming already....

Son could be back on the bench on Sunday, but Bale won't be back until after the international break.

Speaking of the International break - Kane, potentially faces an additional 3 games on that schedule, as the European idiots have schedule 3 games over this break.

Chelsea match was really just a B squad + Dier/Lloris. The win was pure bonus.

Jose obviously wanted to win, but he wants to win tomorrow more - so you can see the irony forming already....

Son could be back on the bench on Sunday, but Bale won't be back until after the international break.

Speaking of the International break - Kane, potentially faces an additional 3 games on that schedule, as the European idiots have schedule 3 games over this break.
Jose is ready to go full Jose, win or especially if he loses any of the next two.

And he's already asked all the international coaches to not pick any of his players over this break.

I heard this morning Son would be out awhile? 

Jose is ready to go full Jose, win or especially if he loses any of the next two.

And he's already asked all the international coaches to not pick any of his players over this break.

I heard this morning Son would be out awhile? 
Son should be back on the bench on Sunday - but won't start, and won't play unless the game is close late.

He has already said - today - he has not spoken with any of the international coaches, but does hope they understand the overuse issue.

Kane is England's captain - he is always going to be picked, and will probably play 2 of the 3 games.

I assume Bale will also be picked, and he could actually use the minutes.

Shocking developments in PL:

After ####### Spurs out of two points, the League has decided enough is enough with the "new" hand ball interpretations, and will be loosening the interpretations going forward.

Premier League referees are to take a lenient approach to applying the new handball law after an outcry from across the game.

This season there have been five penalties awarded for handball in three matchdays, compared with 19 across the whole of the last top-flight season. The change has been blamed on a new interpretation of handball which punishes a defender if the ball strikes their arm in an “unnatural” position.

After criticism from managers and players, Premier League club executives on Tuesday endorsed a change which would give referees more leeway in interpreting the law. The change has been endorsed by Ifab, the body which sets the laws of the game.

The strategy will be implemented from this weekend and it is expected to flip the approach applied in preceding weeks. Instead of looking for “unnatural” body shapes a referee will be invited to consider whether a player could be expected to have their arms in such a position given the way they were standing, or how they were interacting with opponents.
The sad thing is the handball on Spurs was called exactly how the rule of law is suppose to be. 

Oh and for a good laugh, here is how I epically failed as a father....

My 11 yo is wearing a Man United shirt to school.  Her teacher asks if she has a favorite player on the team.  She totally draws a blank on any names.  Then she tells the teacher that she doesn't have a favorite player but knows Lingard plays for the team.

LINGARD?  THATS THE ONLY NAME SHE KNOWS?!?!?! Epic failure by me.

So I tell her, next time just remember the names Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Bruno.  Oh and if you really want to blow the teacher's mind, just tell him your favorites are Christen Press and Tobin Heath.  She loved that, since her shirt didnt ref men or women and she knows who both of them are (we've been to many USWNT games).
Thats a Red Card on poor fathering sir 

Anyone know a way to watch this WITHOUT these idiot talking heads in the studio?

nm, uefa.com works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshua Kimmich was named UEFA 2019-2020 best defender.  And he's been absolutely terrific as a midfielder as well.

And Thomas Mueller has just won his 27th trophy, most in German history.

I'm not a Bayern fan, but I am a massive German national team fan and these are probably my two favorite players of the 21st century (honorably mention to Polish born Klose and Podolski).  Very likely Kimmich will finish just behind Lothar Matthaus as my favorite German player ever.  

Very pleased with the Liverpool draw:

Ajax

Atalanta

Midtjylland

Travel is reasonable, and nice fan travel destinations (if that was possible :(  ).

Is it a thing now to refer to PSG as "Paris" - like in this graphic?  Because I've been seeing that the past year or so and it really messes with my OCD.  There are presumably a ton of soccer clubs in Paris, and this one is named Paris Saint-Germaine.  I remember a club named "Racing Paris" but haven't seen much from them for years.  There is a well-known naming convention for the two big Milan clubs, but I've never heard of PSG being called "Paris" until about a year ago.  This seems like referring to a club as "Madrid" or "Manchester."  This really pisses me off!

Yes the motivation is a problem.  For me, I like what he is doing at the club and fall into the side of the board needing to back the manager and bring in talent.  United spends an ave of 160m when they dont make CL and 80m when they do.  We've seen them play well for sustained periods and they have shown me that depth is the biggest issue.  

And I am not saying you guys are wrong, I just want to see what he can do with board support and true depth.  Ultimately I do think he would be a great option for a Director of Football.
Just curious what you like?  I'm not a huge fan of the style.  I will say that people usually gave SAF too much credit for his style - it really wasn't always great.  He had great players, was a really good tactician and a great motivator.  I'm not expecting Ole to turn in to Klopp or Pep overnight but something is lacking.  And then you get to the lack of passion/motivation, how often they play down to the level of the opponent or wait until they are behind to show up.  I'm not convinced those issues would be completely fixed with more depth and some more quality.

CL draw today

:popcorn:
Full draw

Group A: Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid, FC Salzburg, Lokomotiv Moscow

Group B: Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Inter Milan, Borussia Monchengladbach

Group C - FC Porto, Manchester City, Olympiakos, Marseille

Group D -  Liverpool, Ajax, Atalanta, FC Midtjylland

Group E: Sevilla FC, Chelsea, Krasnodar, Rennes

Group F: Zenit St Petersburg, Borussia Dortmund, Lazio, Club Brugge

Group G: Juventus, Barcelona, Dynamo Kiev, Ferencvaros

Group H: PSG, Manchester United, RB Leipzig, Istanbul Basaksehir

Full draw

Group A: Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid, FC Salzburg, Lokomotiv Moscow

Group B: Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Inter Milan, Borussia Monchengladbach

Group C - FC Porto, Manchester City, Olympiakos, Marseille

Group D -  Liverpool, Ajax, Atalanta, FC Midtjylland

Group E: Sevilla FC, Chelsea, Krasnodar, Rennes

Group F: Zenit St Petersburg, Borussia Dortmund, Lazio, Club Brugge

Group G: Juventus, Barcelona, Dynamo Kiev, Ferencvaros

Group H: PSG, Manchester United, RB Leipzig, Istanbul Basaksehir
Not really a true Group of Death this year, but F and D should be fun.

Just curious what you like?  I'm not a huge fan of the style.  I will say that people usually gave SAF too much credit for his style - it really wasn't always great.  He had great players, was a really good tactician and a great motivator.  I'm not expecting Ole to turn in to Klopp or Pep overnight but something is lacking.  And then you get to the lack of passion/motivation, how often they play down to the level of the opponent or wait until they are behind to show up.  I'm not convinced those issues would be completely fixed with more depth and some more quality.
I agree with most of this.  SAF definitely gets remembered more fondly then he really was (although most is deserved).  I am not sure SAF had tactics but he was probably the greatest motivator and knew how to deal with each player.  Something most of today's managers lack.  Which is why his last team won going away and Moyes could only must 7th with pretty much the same team.  

Most of what I am happy with in regards to Ole is how he's moved out or dropped players.  Fellaini, Sanchez, Smalling, Young all had to go. Once he got a true #10, we stopped seeing Lingard and Pereira* and the team's play improved.  Both of them can go too with Jones and Rojo following. Gave Martial back is #9 and made him the striker.  Moved Rashford to the left so he can play in more space.  Elevated Greenwood slowly and properly.  AWB and McGuire improved the D from 11th to 3rd, 1 goal off 2nd.

Those he has brought in are there for a reason, fit in a role and as part of the team.  Not looking for galacticos.  This is why I think he may be a better Director of Football then a coach.

However, when United actually plays with passion, pace and movement its as good as any and fun to watch.  We saw that up until they beat PSG.  We saw that after Bruno came in and then after the restart.  We see that in the derby and vs Chelsea. But for whatever reason, it doesn't happen every game and its not always for a full 90.  But if you don't have the players to push for spots, then there isn't much you can change.

The problem in my mind, is if some part of the game plan isn't working or someone is having an off day (or needs a day off), there was no one there to put in to change it.  McT and Fred are solid rotational squad guys with high ceilings, but are they game changers?  With VdB you have someone that can come on for Pogba or Bruno and you don't lose much if anything in your play.  Sancho would bring that to the attackers.  Imagine starting with three of Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood and you need a change (injury, bad day, etc)?  Bring on the one not on.  If you need a goal, imagine taking off a defender and putting in Sancho w/ Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba..... 
If Bailly is fit he is their best CB and can pair with McGuire and maybe you don't need to spend there.  His pace may allow more players getting forward since he can cover more ground in the back.  If fitness is an issue with him you need to get a replacement.  

So yes, keep me in the "back your manager" camp. In a lot of the games I actually felt like United could score and could score late to win.  Although some games I feel they will give up the equalizer (BHA last weekend for sure was coming), overall I like watching again.  Something that was lost with Jose's teams. 

If the board backs Ole and this continues, then yes i'll join the Ole out brigade.  

* I believe Pereirra has left on loan with an option to buy.  

Had to look up Ferencvaros' history today. Interesting that two of the teams they get in a group for their first CL are ones they have faced in older European tournament finals ~50 years ago.

Dembele, Fati, and Trincao are the current wingers in the squad. At least the first two can play on both wings. Messi also doesn't play on the right anymore really. It is really players like Greizmann and Coutinho that are hard to imagine with Messi, as they like to cut into more central spaces. The biggest gap in attack is the #9 spot.

ETA: Certainly Coutinho has been successful on the wing in other stops, so maybe he will play there under the new coaching.
Shocking nobody, Koeman appears to have a better tactical imagination than me. It's been a very interesting lineup so far. It is essentially a 4-2-3-1 with Messi as the 9, but just roaming around. Greizman deployed wide right, but often making the central runs to occupy defenders (similar to how Juve used Maduzkic a few years back). Coutinho as a traditional #10 playing very well. The fluidity in attack is very entertaining and all 4 of these players are actually pressing, but we'll see what happens when comes up against a team that can defend deep and organized for 90 minutes. These players are all getting into the box, but none have the physicality you often need to get goals in that situation.

There is a shame cloud hanging over my local squad. 

I will say in the fan forums they’re nearly universal in their praise for Donovan and condemnation of Schantz. 
Here is a subtitled video of Landon arguing with ref and with Schantz.  I don't blame the ref here as he is in a bad spot if he didn't hear nor understand the term.

I don't think Schantz comes off well at all.  It is almost like he is saying "this is a part of the game".

https://twitter.com/caitlinmurr/status/1311696338048954368?s=20

The Phoenix player has totally denied saying it, FWIW.

There is a shame cloud hanging over my local squad. 

I will say in the fan forums they’re nearly universal in their praise for Donovan and condemnation of Schantz. 
Was trying to @ you when iI read that this morning...but couldn't spell your name right. 

That video andy linked is not a good look for your coach. 

GROUP J:

Tottenham
Ludogorets
LASK
Antwerp
:shrug:  So...  who are these teams? 

This is from a random 'net article.  

It’s not a bad draw. Ludogorets are currently at the top of the Bulgarian league table, one point over the other Bulgarian team Spurs defeated in qualifying, Lokomotiv Plovdiv. Royal Antwerp are currently sixth in the Belgian Jupiler League with 11 points from 7 matches.

If there’s a dangerous team in this group, it’s probably LASK. The Austrian side beat Sporting Lisbon 4-1 yesterday in the playoffs and defeated AZ Alkmaar last season en route to the Europa League Round of 16 where they lost to Manchester United.

Either way, it’s pretty good if you’re concerned about travel — the farthest distance Spurs will have to go is to Bulgaria again, and trips to Austria and Belgium isn’t too shabby, all things considered.

Yeah - my takeaway from the teams - Spurs, on paper, are better than all of them, and the best news is less about the teams, and more about the limited travel on a Thursday night.

Hard to dislike that Leeds team. Love the fearless attitude, and I just wish we can get fans back in the stands again soon. Would be awesome for the ManU game at Elland Rd.

ETA: 4/24 (subject to change)

There is little chance Ben Olsen survives the weekend as DC's coach.  The team is bad enough, but when you sub in a player that was not even on the match day roster, you have lost the entire plot as a manager.

Serie A - the first league to have real COVID drama - with Napoli refusing to show up for their match with Juventus today, on the heels of 2 positive tests in the Napoli squad.

Normally we'd be talking about how embarassing Leicester's 3-0 home defeat to West Ham was, but this weekend it doesn't even deserve a mention.  What is going on the EPL?

What was the end result here... Napoli forfeit? Postponement?
Apparently Napoli was on the plane to travel and got grounded by the local health authorities.  Matches get postponed if they have 4 positive tests.  Napoli only had 2.  So, they could have otherwise shown up and played but for the health department.  As a result, Serie A decided to force them to forfeit. 

Classic Serie A.

Users who are viewing this thread