What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

El Floppo said:
Do you guys know if we can retroactively add miles if we sign up now? And if Strava counts as a "wearable device"? Grus garmin continues to evade discovery in our apartment (sorry gru).
MCM site says registration closed for the desert storm thing. 

Speaking of watches my Garmin is 3.5 years old and everything works fine but the elevation.  I’m torn going forward whether I stick with Garmin or move to Apple.  I’m buried in the Apple ecosystem and I use none of the Garmin training tools.  The watch tracks my runs and does heart rate on peloton.  I have a Garmin bike computer for bike rides.  I know the Garmin is better for activity tracking but most of the time I want it to be a good smart watch.

The elevation thing is kind of annoying because I’m getting credit for 500-600 ft of elevation on my normal runs when in reality it’s like 50-60 feet.

bushdocda said:
I’ve been going two lower layers, 3 upper most runs that I can’t high point the sun/temp.

I need to get some more quality warm socks, any recs from the crew?  
I love my Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal wool socks (unfortunately discontinued).  One pair is plenty, feet never get cold, even here in the Frozen Tundra.

When it's warm?  Balega Hidden Comfort, exclusively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of watches my Garmin is 3.5 years old and everything works fine but the elevation.  I’m torn going forward whether I stick with Garmin or move to Apple.  I’m buried in the Apple ecosystem and I use none of the Garmin training tools.  The watch tracks my runs and does heart rate on peloton.  I have a Garmin bike computer for bike rides.  I know the Garmin is better for activity tracking but most of the time I want it to be a good smart watch.

The elevation thing is kind of annoying because I’m getting credit for 500-600 ft of elevation on my normal runs when in reality it’s like 50-60 feet.
Apple's GPS accuracy pales in comparison to Garmin.

Apple's GPS accuracy pales in comparison to Garmin.
I've owned them all and currently sport the Apple 6. I too am firmly implanted in the world of Apple but if I was still running seriously, no question, it would be the Garmin. Battery life, data points, accuracy, all of it goes to the Garmin.

The Apple watch is fun, it's interactive, it's your phone on your wrist. It also tracks movement.

Can't expel the bear.  :kicksrock:

Meeting for a pickle at 8 so need to get out now...but dammit- I know its waiting to attack in 3-5 miles.

Can't expel the bear.  :kicksrock:

Meeting for a pickle at 8 so need to get out now...but dammit- I know its waiting to attack in 3-5 miles.
I'm just jealous that you get to run outside.  Snowing right now, and a high of 6° today with wind chills in the negative teens.  Helloooooooooo, treadmill long run...

I have one of those days with no sun or high point to target. So I’ll just have to hulk up in a bit after a highly lazy morning.  

The last week went substantially better than I expected.

Sa- Hour 20 LMF (18/feels like 2 - but sunny!!!)

Su- miserable 5 mile recovery (18/4 in snow)

M- 5x1k (18/12 in snow)

Tu- rest (snow/wind/frigid)

W- Higdon Tempo/Bell curve (20/20)

Th- 5 snowy, windy 'easy' single track trail miles (22/10)

F- Hour and a half long run under sunny skies (30/30!!!)

Good thing too because this week looks like a mess. I'm hoping our roads are treated enough to do 4x1200 Wed, but that may be the only thing > foot shuffling between now and this time next week.

I'm just jealous that you get to run outside.  Snowing right now, and a high of 6° today with wind chills in the negative teens.  Helloooooooooo, treadmill long run...
It was 20s feels like teens with a light wind, pathways and sidewalks mostly clear...all in all, decent conditions. I would lose my mind having to run consistently on a treadmill...even with watching goofy tv shows.

With more clear paths, I tried a few at hmp before my pickle run. The phone was tucked into my glove, so I was running by feel too. Happy to see the pace dropping a bit closer to my PR pace. Would love to find a 1/2 in late March, early april to give it a go.

that was kind of fun... went out for 10 and decided to 'push it' a little - at least for me these days. averaged 8:35 for the whole thing. First mile was just under 9, last mile was just over 8 all the ones in the middle were 8:26 to 8:44. Still have a lot of work to do but fun to feel some progress. 

Also had a pretty good ice beard/mustache by the end. 

Ok I’m interested, would this be recommended over the forerunner 935?
Yes, if you don't mind the chonk of the Fenix lineup.  It has longer battery life, a few more features (PulseOx) and is more durable.

I have the Fenix 5+ and really like it.  The 5X+ is bigger and has the PulseOx feature that mine doesn't.

Hope you peeps are doing well. I can't quite say why I've been so MIA lately (outside of my one Christmas update) but it's probably just a combination of being busy with Baby Harris, COVID-life stress leading to an overall poor mental state, deaths in the family, work craziness/starting a new job, and figuring out our lives after deciding that we're moving back to Chicago....

Baby Harris aka Eloise: Before little E came along and people said that having kids was the best thing ever and they're so great, life will never be the same, blah blah blah, I would just think yeah, right, "these people are all just exaggerating and saying that their kid is the best. I'm sure it's nice and all but this is all kind of corny, it can't be that great." Then I had a kid. And after even just two months it's awesome. Not all roses all the time, especially when you spend hours at night trying to put a fussy baby down or when you get woken up at 3am randomly, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I probably said this before but I just can't imagine a world without little E in it. But overall she's doing great, my wife is doing great and we're loving and soaking up every little bit of time that we have with her. Also she's kind of a beast compared to these French babies. 13lbs after two months. We should probably cut down on her steady diet of bread and cheese.

COVID BS: Not sure if any of you follow what's going on in France but on November 1 we went into full-on lockdown mode for a month. No going out except for food or exercise/walks. That ended on December 1 but since then we've been on strict curfew of 6pm every night. We spend so much time inside a tiny apartment that it's just draining. If you miss the morning window of going out (which lots of times I do because I'm helping with the baby) and then miss a proper lunch break because those don't really exist when working from home, you're pretty much f'd. Before you know it 6pm rolls around and there is no going outside for any reason. Luckily we have Eloise to keep us busy and play with and I will likely look back on these times and be thankful that I was able to spend all of these moments with her. But I would kill to be able to go for a run after work again.

I know it won't be forever but the mental state is just poor at the moment. I'm glad we were able to make it back to US in December but we really only did see my in-laws. My parents are in Arizona and due to increased French travel restrictions put in place a couple of weeks ago, our trip to go to the US again in March to see them won't be possible. They've luckily gotten the vaccine as they're high risk but they can't go to France and we cannot leave France. They probably won't be able to meet Eloise at all until she's 9 months old when we move back.... 

COVID (and non-COVID) Super BS: Throughout most of this pandemic we had been incredibly lucky to have avoided much tragedy in our lives and so I absolutely understand that the above COVID rant is nothing in comparison to what others have experienced. In the the span of a month, however, between November and December my wife and I lost three grandparents to both COVID and non-COVID related issues. Just as it will stick with me forever the moment that Elosie was born, it will stick with me just as much to be calling my grandmother to say goodbye from the French maternité just three days afterwards. She couldn't hear me because she was on a ventilator but the nurses and front-line workers around the world are all amazing people and the ones taking care of her while she was alone in the hospital made it possible for our family to tell her how much we love her as none of us could be with her. My wife also lost both of her grandfathers around this time, one more expected and one more sudden. Christmas was, to say the least, a bit less festive this year, but we were all glad to have each other around this time. 

Work and U-S-A: in mid-November, just after one of my wife's grandfathers had passed, and a couple of weeks before Eloise was born, our Global COO emailed me out of the blue and asked if I had a moment to catch up. It hadn't been announced yet but there was a bit of a re-org happening (including our current CEO retiring) and he needed a new right-hand person to come and work for him. Would basically be moving away from day-to-day real estate investment work that I do now to global strategy and operations. And he would eventually need me back in Chicago where he is located.

Now I can't exactly say what we would have decided if we were living in a non-COVID environment. But with a combination of all of the above, plus wanting Eloise to get to know her own grandparents and see them more than once per year, and not knowing how many opportunities we would have actually move back to the US with job in hand, we decided that we should say au revoir to our time in France. There were so many pros and cons that we could have debated for ages, and honestly if I was able to do the job remotely from our French office forever we might have chosen that route. But Chicago is a great place too and we'll be glad to be going back.

So I started this new position on 1/1 while still working my old job through mid-March (pitfalls of internal transfers). And we will be moving back to Chicago in September of this year. I think that's it.

Where is running during all of this, you ask? Ha well my friends, that is a great question. This time last year I was in the best shape of my life and had just put in months of work for an upcoming marathon. This year....not so much. It'll come around but just slowly as I've lost most of my gains from last year. I've been trying to do something (either running or cycling) once a week and bought some dumbbells for those weeknights when we are locked inside. 

BUT, what I have also realized over the past months is that I missed being part of this group. You guys are all awesome and motivation in itself with all that you do and I'm looking forward to being part of the group in real time vs. catching up in giant chunks as I have been. And also perhaps some proper real-life hangs once we're back in the States for good. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, Happy Valentine's Day, love yall  :wub:

Also, if you made it this far you deserve a prize....maybe a foot massage from tri-man.

Oh damn. All the emojis for that update, @Harris

So sorry about your losses...no words, especially all at the same time and around the holidays.

As a fellow city dweller, I can empathize with the downward mental state being locked away in a tiny apartment this thing has wrought. Remember to give yourself a break- physically (even just a walk) and mental/emotionally. Tbh, the running has been a lifesaver for me on both counts, getting me the endorphins and some alone time away from my evil, lif-draining...i mean amazing, brood. And just getting reminders in here when I'm down that yes...there is in fact this terrible global situation occuring and it's ok to be feeling crap...helps.

Congrats on the job! Sounds like an amazing opportunity (if your world needs people with high end residential interior architectural experience, let me know) and the move to Chicago should be life-changing..hopefully in all the best ways. Plus, you've got a built in community of athletes there to train with.

Eloise...you already wrote it- you will look back in this time and be so thankful to have gotten to be there with her during this incredible time in her life..for every little change that happens so quickly those first months and will feel like it flew by, even when in the moment of all the difficult exhaustion/stress of newborns it feels the opposite. Enjoy!

@Harris great to see your runs on Strava -- even some group runs.

Thank you for the update.  e ("little E"?) sounds awesome and it's plain to see she's going to have an awesome dad to raise her.

Already looking forward to seeing some group runs with the Chicago 10Kers in September!  In the meantime, get a peloton and you can join the brorgy that seems to happen on a weekly basis!

Thank you for the update.  e ("little E"?) sounds awesome and it's plain to see she's going to have an awesome dad to raise her.

Already looking forward to seeing some group runs with the Chicago 10Kers in September!  In the meantime, get a peloton and you can join the brorgy that seems to happen on a weekly basis!
I don't know what his apt looks like (I've seen a handful of Paris apts...seem similar to larger than what we get in nyc)...but you guys overestimate what we can fit in these things. A peloton coming in would mean shipping out my daughter to free up space.

I don't know what his apt looks like (I've seen a handful of Paris apts...seem similar to larger than what we get in nyc)...but you guys overestimate what we can fit in these things. A peloton coming in would mean shipping out my daughter to free up space.
Your daughter is bigger than his so he has a higher likelihood of success.

Jealousy doesn’t look good on you.

@Harris - so nice to hear from you and get the life report!  Great to hear about little E; great to hear about the job opportunity, even if it means giving up your time in Paris.  (On that front, I regretted moving out of downtown Chicago, but the memories and benefits of time on the near north and near south sides have stuck with me.  I.e.: You'll always have Paris.)  So sorry to hear about COVID and the family losses.  If you do resettle in Chi-town, I expect some nice race competitions with @Juxtatarot ...maybe @Brony and I can tag along for the ride.

If a Peloton suddenly arrived to our 500sqft apartment I would be shipping myself out.

Oh damn. All the emojis for that update, @Harris

So sorry about your losses...no words, especially all at the same time and around the holidays.

As a fellow city dweller, I can empathize with the downward mental state being locked away in a tiny apartment this thing has wrought. Remember to give yourself a break- physically (even just a walk) and mental/emotionally. Tbh, the running has been a lifesaver for me on both counts, getting me the endorphins and some alone time away from my evil, lif-draining...i mean amazing, brood. And just getting reminders in here when I'm down that yes...there is in fact this terrible global situation occuring and it's ok to be feeling crap...helps.

Congrats on the job! Sounds like an amazing opportunity (if your world needs people with high end residential interior architectural experience, let me know) and the move to Chicago should be life-changing..hopefully in all the best ways. Plus, you've got a built in community of athletes there to train with.

Eloise...you already wrote it- you will look back in this time and be so thankful to have gotten to be there with her during this incredible time in her life..for every little change that happens so quickly those first months and will feel like it flew by, even when in the moment of all the difficult exhaustion/stress of newborns it feels the opposite. Enjoy!
Thanks GB, I've realized that just getting out there as you said, evn if just a walk at lunch, is super helpful. It doesn't always work but I've started to block off an hour in my work calendar every day for a break. Even if I don't always get out it's a reminder to stop for a bit.

re: architectural work. We don't normally deal in residential stuff (unless it's larger apartment complexes) or many developments (we're mainly core investors) but with the way real estate will shift after the pandemic who knows. Will certainly remember this if anything comes up.

Over the years I've invested in so many winter cycling clothes and have too many bikes as it is (4 currently) that I wouldn't survive anything more.

Luckily Parisian winters allow for cycling outside most days (except the past 2-3 weeks). When we move back to Chicago it's bike trainer + Zwift for the win 

@Harris - so nice to hear from you and get the life report!  Great to hear about little E; great to hear about the job opportunity, even if it means giving up your time in Paris.  (On that front, I regretted moving out of downtown Chicago, but the memories and benefits of time on the near north and near south sides have stuck with me.  I.e.: You'll always have Paris.)  So sorry to hear about COVID and the family losses.  If you do resettle in Chi-town, I expect some nice race competitions with @Juxtatarot ...maybe @Brony and I can tag along for the ride.
Thanks tri-man! It's been a good run (almost 3 years in September when we leave) and we'll try to keep coming back often. 

In Chicago I think we're aiming on living up in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square on the northside of the city. Because the daycare scene is so insane we basically had to sign up for a couple wait lists in that area already. So we'll definitely be around!

I'll have to start checking out some fall races around the area  :headbang:  

It's an easy 3.5-hour drive from Chicago to Indy...
What are we doing and when? I'm in. Should probably buy a car or something first. Or find a place to live. But them I'm in.

I've actually been thinking about Boston 2022 and how do you all think this will work with hardly any races on the docket. Simply a smaller field or push back registration date by a couple of months?

What are we doing and when? I'm in. Should probably buy a car or something first. Or find a place to live. But them I'm in.

I've actually been thinking about Boston 2022 and how do you all think this will work with hardly any races on the docket. Simply a smaller field or push back registration date by a couple of months?
Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 6.  There's a half marathon option, too.

Absolutely no clue in hell how Boston registration is going to work....for this year (if it happens) or next year.  If I had to guess, I'd bet they'll open registration for next year in September like usual, and it might just be like the old days where it doesn't fill up right away and it just stays open on a FCFS basis until it does.

If Boston '22 doesn't change their policies (I expect them to) then you'd need to qualify for it by September. I'm hoping Boston '23 is the return to normal.

If Boston '22 doesn't change their policies (I expect them to) then you'd need to qualify for it by September. I'm hoping Boston '23 is the return to normal.
Not true.  You just need to qualify before the race.  If it doesn't fill up during the initial 2-week period in September, then you could qualify and register for 2022 anytime thereafter until it fills up.

Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 6.  There's a half marathon option, too.

Absolutely no clue in hell how Boston registration is going to work....for this year (if it happens) or next year.  If I had to guess, I'd bet they'll open registration for next year in September like usual, and it might just be like the old days where it doesn't fill up right away and it just stays open on a FCFS basis until it does.
Sweet. Sent this to the boss as well since she likes to run HMs and is looking for a bit of a target coming back post-baby. This could be a good one for her too.

Not true.  You just need to qualify before the race.  If it doesn't fill up during the initial 2-week period in September, then you could qualify and register for 2022 anytime thereafter until it fills up.
Back in the day (before @tri-man 47 qualified for Social Security), there were "last chance" marathons in March and early April where you could literally run a marathon, qualify, and then turn around and run Boston a few weeks later.

Sweet. Sent this to the boss as well since she likes to run HMs and is looking for a bit of a target coming back post-baby. This could be a good one for her too.
Literally my favorite race.  Flat, fast, affordable, predictably perfect (cold) weather, and super easy logistics.  You can literally sit in your hotel room until 20-30 minutes before the gun.

Oh, and for afterwards, there's a nearby bar called Kilroy's that has 20 different flavors of 32-oz long islands...

Literally my favorite race.  Flat, fast, affordable, predictably perfect (cold) weather, and super easy logistics.  You can literally sit in your hotel room until 20-30 minutes before the gun.

Oh, and for afterwards, there's a nearby bar called Kilroy's that has 20 different flavors of 32-oz long islands...
:scared:

Really? So, theoretically - Boston doesn't fill up during the initial window then as others net QT's that would usually go towards the race a year plus out some would opt to just race that year, which would suppress demand for the year after.  

Really? So, theoretically - Boston doesn't fill up during the initial window then as others net QT's that would usually go towards the race a year plus out some would opt to just race that year, which would suppress demand for the year after.  
The times would count for BOTH 2022 and 2023.  You could double dip.

Users who are viewing this thread