What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

I can speak with 100% confidence that I do not have another attempt in me. I've been up for 3 hours and only gotten up once to refill coffee...and destroy the bathroom. 

I can speak with 100% confidence that I do not have another attempt in me. I've been up for 3 hours and only gotten up once to refill coffee...and destroy the bathroom. 
Yup, as I posted before, I couldn't even do an ER this morning.  My time is in the books and it ain't changin'.

Tracking info?   It would be epic to have @gianmarco on a bike posting her mile splits here.  It might break the internet with the traffic to this thread.
I'm running at least the first mile with her to pace her at 6:59 pace.  I'll then hold on for as long as I can. 

That HM where we kept the pacing steady for the first 10 miles and then she destroyed the final 3?  She now knows the value of negative splitting and how that goes.  She already mentioned it this morning so if she's capable, she's going to finish strong.

I'm running at least the first mile with her to pace her at 6:59 pace.  I'll then hold on for as long as I can. 

That HM where we kept the pacing steady for the first 10 miles and then she destroyed the final 3?  She now knows the value of negative splitting and how that goes.  She already mentioned it this morning so if she's capable, she's going to finish strong.
Just draft her to the finish.

I felt pretty good on Friday before the DOMS hit, even knocked out a big Peloton PR. Feel like dog#### today though. Doing a PZE ride as we speak, and Z3 feels way harder than it should.
That's one of my hypothesis here. Z2 being easier a few days after a hard workout / race while going back to z3 or another race would be harder. 

I don't plan to stay in z3 too often, though it happens in long races.

That's one of my hypothesis here. Z2 being easier a few days after a hard workout / race while going back to z3 or another race would be harder. 

I don't plan to stay in z3 too often, though it happens in long races.
I hate z3. Check out Friel, I’m a huge fan. 

Um.....can you please do #teamgrue a favor and stay out of her way?

It might only be seconds.  @The Iguana, how you feeling?  

Maybe I'll have to drive up to Wisconsin and find that course that @gruecd ran.
This would be the greatest schtick ever in the history of this thread.   :lmao:

FWIW, looking at 2pm CST.

60 degrees.  Cloudy.  No rain.  6mph tailwind.
You positively need to figure out how to bike next to her with a Zoom-esque live feed of this with all out the #teamgrue members right alongside cheering her on.   :towelwave:

It might only be seconds.  @The Iguana, how you feeling?  

Maybe I'll have to drive up to Wisconsin and find that course that @gruecd ran.
I'm a little sore today but I'm seriously considering it. Did not race as smart as I could have and definitely haven't been doing the work I should have. Feel I let down the team some. Seriously considering a run later today. Going to take the dog for a walk in a bit to throw his frisbee and see how much I can loosen up my legs.

I'm a little sore today but I'm seriously considering it. Did not race as smart as I could have and definitely haven't been doing the work I should have. Feel I let down the team some. Seriously considering a run later today. Going to take the dog for a walk in a bit to throw his frisbee and see how much I can loosen up my legs.
@gianmarco:  You, your wife, and @The Iguana all need to race at the same time.

#BMFlife

I don't see any way I'm going to be able to finish.  Between last night and my sore as hell quads, I'm going to be lucky to get the first mile done at pace. 
Definitely for the best. Think about marathon season. And the children, don’t forget about them. 

I’m going for a hike with the kids now. If I hear that a run is needed later cause gian pulled some strava magic out his ### I’m going to be so internet pissed

Maybe it will end up like this

https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/g470h1/if_you_want_to_die_follow_me_the_2012_olympic/

man, it's amazing what a difference 41 seconds makes... I'd be so much happier if I had just been 41 seconds faster. 41!
tbh, before my meltdown I'm pretty certain I was going to be closer to 22:00 than 23:00. 

hit tennis balls with the kids this morning and was a compete wreck. operation *see if I have anything left* for today looks unlikely... but might give it a shot if mrs gian destroys things- which seems likely.

Alright, here's a stab at a recap.   

Background:  I basically stopped running or training in November.  Spent all my exercise time playing indoor tennis and pickup basketball (over 40 "league" - league is a loose term).   Didn't really get back to running until early March, when supposedly the weather started to warm up here in Chicago.   So candidly, I didn't really know what to expect the past few weeks.    Actually, let's go back even further.  I've shared this on the board years ago, but I didn't start running until age 38 or 39.   My father had a mild heart attack 6-7 years ago; I had a crazy intense job, 5 year-old twins at home, Mrs APK worked a TON back then in public accounting (because she had demanding clients like Tri-man, hahaha) and in essence, I was in terrible shape.   Weighed 20-25 pounds more than now, drank way too much of every kind of alcohol, etc.   One day while out walking with the Mrs while our kids were on some type of scooters (or whatever), I said to Mrs APK "do you think I could run a mile right now if I had to?"   So I tried to go out and run -- and felt like dying.  It was awful.   Fast forward, a buddy suggested that we sign up for a half marathon (in San Fran - wtf), we did the race and I got hooked on running.  But most of my running has been half marathons, maybe 1-2 per year.   

Back to the present.

So today I woke up motivated after jumping on the Zoom meetup for a bit last night.   Scarfed down 1/4 of a donut, took three separate bathroom trips to "get ready", listened to Welcome To The Jungle to get ready.   Based on all the math people have put together, it was pretty clear I needed to drop below 24 minutes to give the team a shot.   I've only a run a few 5Ks, usually every September for a charity event at work.   The only time I'd previously broken 25 minutes was on a hot afternoon 3-4 years ago; I ran with a super hot mid-20s co-worker that day.  She talked non-stop, mostly about how she kept making bad decisions choosing guys, and how she "really just wanted to find someone mature and stable."  My entire motivation that day was A) continue to run with her, B) keep her talking so that I don't have to, C) avoid collapsing, D) never lose my discipline and don't tell Mrs APK about this race.   On that hot mid-September day I ran 24:48.

After letting the 1/4 donut settle in my stomach for about 20-25 minutes, walked out the back door and lightly jogged for maybe 1/3 of a mile.   Could tell that my legs felt a little heavy and the brain was saying "dude - are you really going to do this to us?"  Finally hit the Strava app and it was go time.

Mile 1  (7:23) - this was too fast of a start, but it was a deliberate choice.   Clearly the wrong choice, but deliberate.   My logic was basically.....I need to run close to 23:00 flat today in an ideal world.   The only way that happens is if I can make a miracle and run close to a 7:25 pace.   I meant to start around a 7:40 for the first mile.  Not sure what happened.  Lack of experience.  As my tennis coach used to say "there is a difference between a practice player and being match tough."   My breathing wasn't great early on, but my stride felt good.  Legs felt good.  Body felt rested.   Hit my one and only meaningful stop light and had to deviate slightly to avoid slowing down.   That was annoying.   Note:    my course overall was very flat.   It's Evanston - there are almost no hills in sight.

Mile 2  (7:41) - still felt like my breathing was difficult.   Feet were still quick and light.   Crossed the halfway point and had a minor uphill to cross the Skokie Channel.   I hate that bridge on normal days, and hated it even more today.   A slight incline just felt ####ty.   And here is where the one and only glitch happened --- my *#*% shoelace came untied.  Literally don't remember the last time that happened.   Decided to stop quickly and tie it.   This was at the 1.7 mile mark.  Stood up and felt a bit wobbly.   Never really recovered from that moment.   Hit a slight downhill to finish out the 2nd mile and knew the end would be rough.

Mile 3 (8:05) - here we enter the overthinking phase of the run.   I noticed that there was a very slight incline to my last 0.8 miles and decided to deviate from my gameplan at that moment (why????  why???? why????).   Decided to run my planned route up to 2.7 miles, then double back, hit the slight decline and head toward home for the final 0.4 miles.   Could barely function at this point.  One foot in front of the other.   Picked out different markers ("just need to hit the next intersection!") and ran for that marker, only to set a new marker ("hot young mom with stroller 1 block ahead - strut your stuff").   At some point I was hallucinating and saw former Mayor Daley running alongside me.   When I hit the 2.7 mile mark and made the wide, circle turn, it took about 50 yards to realize "MF'er, the wind is now straight in my face."   Yeah, that's why the original course went south until mile 3.1 -- the wind was part of the ####'ing gameplan.   I'm not going to lie -- the last 0.2 miles of this leg were horrible.   A guy with a dog was walking toward me and shouted something at me.  No clue what he said.   I was a good 15 feet away from him, very socially distant.

Last 0.1 (7:55) - early 30s girl running toward me, smiling.  I stayed focused on her until we passed each other.   Probably would have fallen over in a heap if she hadn't been in my field of vision that last 0.1-0.2 miles on Sheridan Road.  Stopped the Strava.   

Total time 23:58 (7:43/ pace)    PR by a decent clip.   

Sat down on someone's front sidewalk step.  Hyperventilating?  Dry heaving?  Tasting blood in the back of my throat?   All of the above?   Just felt spent.   I probably sat there for 5-10 minutes, then got up and walked a 1/2 mile.   Put a podcast on and jogged home.   Mrs APK was very supportive - still in wonderment that tri-man is "so fast for his age" 😡 😡😡😡 and then we ate donuts while waiting for kids to wake up.

Thanks again to this group for the motivation and encouragement the past few weeks.   Definitely appreciate the quality of runners in this group.  I usually just lurk in here, but am always reading to find tips and tricks from y'all.   Long long way to go before reaching my medium-term goals, but this was a good re-start on that journey.  Just wanted to say thanks - without you guys, I wouldn't have even tried to get this far. 

Next level commitment from @gianmarco to TeamGrue. Going out of his way to get uncharacteristically blackout drunk, losing big money gambling, and likely neglecting his children this morning just to piss off Mrs Gian to motivate her to run faster. Thank you Gian you’re the real hero of our team, and please tell Mrs Gian that behind every great woman is a greater man.

Next level commitment from @gianmarco to TeamGrue. Going out of his way to get uncharacteristically blackout drunk, losing big money gambling, and likely neglecting his children this morning just to piss off Mrs Gian to motivate her to run faster. Thank you Gian you’re the real hero of our team, and please tell Mrs Gian that behind every great woman is a greater man.
Hey, what are you doing in my house?  

Alright, here's a stab at a recap.   

Background:  I basically stopped running or training in November.  Spent all my exercise time playing indoor tennis and pickup basketball (over 40 "league" - league is a loose term).   Didn't really get back to running until early March, when supposedly the weather started to warm up here in Chicago.   So candidly, I didn't really know what to expect the past few weeks.    Actually, let's go back even further.  I've shared this on the board years ago, but I didn't start running until age 38 or 39.   My father had a mild heart attack 6-7 years ago; I had a crazy intense job, 5 year-old twins at home, Mrs APK worked a TON back then in public accounting (because she had demanding clients like Tri-man, hahaha) and in essence, I was in terrible shape.   Weighed 20-25 pounds more than now, drank way too much of every kind of alcohol, etc.   One day while out walking with the Mrs while our kids were on some type of scooters (or whatever), I said to Mrs APK "do you think I could run a mile right now if I had to?"   So I tried to go out and run -- and felt like dying.  It was awful.   Fast forward, a buddy suggested that we sign up for a half marathon (in San Fran - wtf), we did the race and I got hooked on running.  But most of my running has been half marathons, maybe 1-2 per year.   

Back to the present.

So today I woke up motivated after jumping on the Zoom meetup for a bit last night.   Scarfed down 1/4 of a donut, took three separate bathroom trips to "get ready", listened to Welcome To The Jungle to get ready.   Based on all the math people have put together, it was pretty clear I needed to drop below 24 minutes to give the team a shot.   I've only a run a few 5Ks, usually every September for a charity event at work.   The only time I'd previously broken 25 minutes was on a hot afternoon 3-4 years ago; I ran with a super hot mid-20s co-worker that day.  She talked non-stop, mostly about how she kept making bad decisions choosing guys, and how she "really just wanted to find someone mature and stable."  My entire motivation that day was A) continue to run with her, B) keep her talking so that I don't have to, C) avoid collapsing, D) never lose my discipline and don't tell Mrs APK about this race.   On that hot mid-September day I ran 24:48.

After letting the 1/4 donut settle in my stomach for about 20-25 minutes, walked out the back door and lightly jogged for maybe 1/3 of a mile.   Could tell that my legs felt a little heavy and the brain was saying "dude - are you really going to do this to us?"  Finally hit the Strava app and it was go time.

Mile 1  (7:23) - this was too fast of a start, but it was a deliberate choice.   Clearly the wrong choice, but deliberate.   My logic was basically.....I need to run close to 23:00 flat today in an ideal world.   The only way that happens is if I can make a miracle and run close to a 7:25 pace.   I meant to start around a 7:40 for the first mile.  Not sure what happened.  Lack of experience.  As my tennis coach used to say "there is a difference between a practice player and being match tough."   My breathing wasn't great early on, but my stride felt good.  Legs felt good.  Body felt rested.   Hit my one and only meaningful stop light and had to deviate slightly to avoid slowing down.   That was annoying.   Note:    my course overall was very flat.   It's Evanston - there are almost no hills in sight.

Mile 2  (7:41) - still felt like my breathing was difficult.   Feet were still quick and light.   Crossed the halfway point and had a minor uphill to cross the Skokie Channel.   I hate that bridge on normal days, and hated it even more today.   A slight incline just felt ####ty.   And here is where the one and only glitch happened --- my *#*% shoelace came untied.  Literally don't remember the last time that happened.   Decided to stop quickly and tie it.   This was at the 1.7 mile mark.  Stood up and felt a bit wobbly.   Never really recovered from that moment.   Hit a slight downhill to finish out the 2nd mile and knew the end would be rough.

Mile 3 (8:05) - here we enter the overthinking phase of the run.   I noticed that there was a very slight incline to my last 0.8 miles and decided to deviate from my gameplan at that moment (why????  why???? why????).   Decided to run my planned route up to 2.7 miles, then double back, hit the slight decline and head toward home for the final 0.4 miles.   Could barely function at this point.  One foot in front of the other.   Picked out different markers ("just need to hit the next intersection!") and ran for that marker, only to set a new marker ("hot young mom with stroller 1 block ahead - strut your stuff").   At some point I was hallucinating and saw former Mayor Daley running alongside me.   When I hit the 2.7 mile mark and made the wide, circle turn, it took about 50 yards to realize "MF'er, the wind is now straight in my face."   Yeah, that's why the original course went south until mile 3.1 -- the wind was part of the ####'ing gameplan.   I'm not going to lie -- the last 0.2 miles of this leg were horrible.   A guy with a dog was walking toward me and shouted something at me.  No clue what he said.   I was a good 15 feet away from him, very socially distant.

Last 0.1 (7:55) - early 30s girl running toward me, smiling.  I stayed focused on her until we passed each other.   Probably would have fallen over in a heap if she hadn't been in my field of vision that last 0.1-0.2 miles on Sheridan Road.  Stopped the Strava.   

Total time 23:58 (7:43/ pace)    PR by a decent clip.   

Sat down on someone's front sidewalk step.  Hyperventilating?  Dry heaving?  Tasting blood in the back of my throat?   All of the above?   Just felt spent.   I probably sat there for 5-10 minutes, then got up and walked a 1/2 mile.   Put a podcast on and jogged home.   Mrs APK was very supportive - still in wonderment that tri-man is "so fast for his age" 😡 😡😡😡 and then we ate donuts while waiting for kids to wake up.

Thanks again to this group for the motivation and encouragement the past few weeks.   Definitely appreciate the quality of runners in this group.  I usually just lurk in here, but am always reading to find tips and tricks from y'all.   Long long way to go before reaching my medium-term goals, but this was a good re-start on that journey.  Just wanted to say thanks - without you guys, I wouldn't have even tried to get this far. 
Man, awesome report. Sounds like you really dug deep there and you did give your team a chance to win. Nice job!

Users who are viewing this thread