What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Emigrating from the US (1 Viewer)

Fennis

Footballguy
Any ex-pats here? Where did you go? For how long? I am curious to hear your story where you went and for how long and what it was like or anything else you want to add.

I am thinking about thinking about moving overseas. If I did it's still likely 10 years away, although I wouldn't mind moving those timelines up if I could pull it off.

:blackdot:

Wife and I have discussed this before. I could probably find a pretty sweet job out of the country since I work in financial IT.

We have a daughter in hs now so maybe when she is out of college. But I could see family stuff (parent's health) making this less attractive at that time.

I lived and worked in Spain for a year and a half in my mid 20s. If not for my girlfriend (now wife) I might still be there.

DD is the most experienced person here I know........

our plan is to live as ex-pats in the next 5 yrs. we bought a place in Italy and have extensively researched what it takes.

more short term, wife has a job with a global firm and we will seek out an overseas opportunity once our dog is chasing squirrels in heaven.

our plan is to live as ex-pats in the next 5 yrs. we bought a place in Italy and have extensively researched what it takes.

more short term, wife has a job with a global firm and we will seek out an overseas opportunity once our dog is chasing squirrels in heaven.
How did you choose Italy? Any particular resources that you would recommend?

Any ex-pats here? Where did you go? For how long? I am curious to hear your story where you went and for how long and what it was like or anything else you want to add.

I am thinking about thinking about moving overseas. If I did it's still likely 10 years away, although I wouldn't mind moving those timelines up if I could pull it off.
The 2016 batch of candidates is looking pretty bad to me too...

vacationed a couple of times.....loved history, food, wine, pace and lifestyle. obviously I can recommend resources if this is the route you are going. me and the wife bought language books and hired a tutor. this is first tip, know the local language. don't go somewhere expecting it to be America light. Europe is waaaay different in all aspects. heck, in Italy outside the touristy areas, stores close from 1p-4.30por lunch. en suite closets don't exist, you need armoires. yada yada

The 2016 batch of candidates is looking pretty bad to me too...
Maybe I'll pull the ripcord early if we end up with President Trump.

My goal is to retire young in the Azores. Been looking at a lot of real estate on Sao Miguel. The problem is, I just have no idea how to actually put it all together.

vacationed a couple of times.....loved history, food, wine, pace and lifestyle. obviously I can recommend resources if this is the route you are going. me and the wife bought language books and hired a tutor. this is first tip, know the local language. don't go somewhere expecting it to be America light. Europe is waaaay different in all aspects. heck, in Italy outside the touristy areas, stores close from 1p-4.30por lunch. en suite closets don't exist, you need armoires. yada yada
Sounds terrible

I've considered Australia for years...peaceful, happy, low violence, solid economy, solid environmentally, no language barrier.

Always grades higher than the U.S. in quality of life studies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd look at Boston. Sure the accent sucks and the m#######s are the worst, but you have four seasons and tons of crack cocaine. gllllllllllllll

My goal is to retire young in the Azores. Been looking at a lot of real estate on Sao Miguel. The problem is, I just have no idea how to actually put it all together.
Have you been to the Azores? Because I have, and it sucks. Too windy and boring IMO.

Then again, I would never live on an island not named Japan or Manhattan. :shrug:

I've considered Australia for years...peaceful, happy, low violence, solid economy, solid environmentally, no language barrier.

New Zealand is on my list to investigate. The current list includes places as varied as Costa Rica, Belize, Italy, France, New Zealand, Mexico, Canada, Ecuador, and a few others.

Countries I have been to I would live in:

Switzerland

Sweden

Finland

Oman

Italy (probably will live here when I retire to be close to X, plus I own a house there)

Estonia

Canada

That's about it and I've been to 60+ countries. I'd like to think I could retire to Botswana or Mozambique because they are so awesome, but I like my TV and Chick-fil-a. I have a plan to spend 120 days a year in Italy and 245 a in Michigan about 13 years from now, I hope I make it. If not, I ####### lived five lifetimes over. It's been an amazing run.

They also have extremely rigid immigration standards. If you're under the age of 40 you'd better have an Australian spouse or some sort of trade or skill which will be deemed a net benefit to their society. If you're over 40 and aren't politically connected or independently wealthy, you can pretty much forget it. They don't want folks moving there at the tail end of their lives to take advantage of their social services.

They also have extremely rigid immigration standards. If you're under the age of 40 you'd better have an Australian spouse or some sort of trade or skill which will be deemed a net benefit to their society. If you're over 40 and aren't politically connected or independently wealthy, you can pretty much forget it. They don't want folks moving there at the tail end of their lives to take advantage of their social services.
Who the hell do they think they are making it hard to move there to suck off the social welfare ###?

What a novel concept

What a novel concept
I may be ignorant in this field but isn't it the same for the US...it's just the whole enforcement thing we don't really do well?

Have you been to the Azores? Because I have, and it sucks. Too windy and boring IMO.

Then again, I would never live on an island not named Japan or Manhattan. :shrug:
I have. I love the place. Boring is part of the charm for me :)

I have. I love the place. Boring is part of the charm for me :)
Do you speak Portuguese?

Tons of American expats in Costa Rica, and everyone I spoke to couldn't say enough about it. Dirt cheap cost of living, and it's paradise, plain and simple. One of the most amazing places I've visited.

I lived and worked in Spain for a year and a half in my mid 20s. If not for my girlfriend (now wife) I might still be there.
Do you speak Spanish? How did you end up in Spain?
Yes, now. Although I was poor at it when I first went. I was pretty much fluent by the end. I've regressed a bit since being back (8 years and counting), but I can hold a conversation and probably even do business.

I ended up there after grad school where I met a professor who brought me in to do research on one of his grants. I was young, debt-free, unmarried, no house, no car. I didn't even have a dog. I could have moved anywhere, but this was the opportunity that presented itself. I could have stuck around to do a PhD there, but declined at returned to the US to be with my girlfriend, who was doing a doctorate herself. It was either stick in Spain and lose my girlfriend, or move back and see where it went with her. I'm married with two kids now, who we are raising bilingually. My wife is originally from Venezuela so she's a native speaker of both English and Spanish.

It was a formative experience and one that I would do all over again in a heartbeat. My wife and I have talked about moving abroad again (Switzerland or Panama the most likely candidates), but careers are tough to manage. I'm not sure either of us would have the job opportunities elsewhere in the same location that we have here in the US.

Tons of American expats in Costa Rica, and everyone I spoke to couldn't say enough about it. Dirt cheap cost of living, and it's paradise, plain and simple. One of the most amazing places I've visited.
Besides the whole 3rd world country thing, right? Driving through San Jose every house has bars on the windows and doors. It is not all paradise.

Besides the whole 3rd world country thing, right? Driving through San Jose every house has bars on the windows and doors. It is not all paradise.
Yeah that's like saying the US sucks because just take a look at Camden, NJ.There are nice beach houses in gated communities and secured condo complexes near the beaches, for a fraction of what you'd pay here. The locals are simple people and extremely friendly in my experience. I never once felt unsafe walking around town, day or night.

McGarnicle said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
McGarnicle said:
Yeah that's like saying the US sucks because just take a look at Camden, NJ.There are nice beach houses in gated communities and secured condo complexes near the beaches, for a fraction of what you'd pay here. The locals are simple people and extremely friendly in my experience. I never once felt unsafe walking around town, day or night.
I get what you are saying but I think you are drastically overstating how safe it is. When I was there two American girls we kidnapped and killed. Be careful, don't mistake ignorance for safety.

A 16-year-old Costa Rican youth convicted in the March killings of two American women has been sentenced to 15 years in prison, judicial sources said.

Olger Castro Cruz, sentenced on Wednesday in a judicial proceeding closed to the press, received the maximum penalty for murder that a minor can under Costa Rican law. He could be released after seven years, authorities said.

Emily Howell, of Lexington, Ky., and Emily Rachel Eagen, of Ann Arbor, Mich., both 19, were both shot in the head and their bodies left along a highway near the Caribbean coastal town of Puerto Viejo.

Castro Cruz was accused of firing one of two guns used in the murders. Police said he then wrecked the victims’ rented pickup truck and sold the gun, a Spanish-made Basque pistol.

Another Costa Rican man is under arrest and facing trial for the killings and a Nicaraguan suspect wanted in the case is a fugitive.

Howell was a student at Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio and was in Costa Rica on a college cooperative education program. Eagen was a former Antioch student. Both had been living for in the Costa Rican capital for some weeks.

Police earlier said the two women may have given the three suspects a ride in their pickup truck. They also said the motive for the murders was perhaps robbery, and that the killers may have been under the influence of drugs.

McGarnicle said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
McGarnicle said:
I get what you are saying but I think you are drastically overstating how safe it is. When I was there two American girls we kidnapped and killed. Be careful, don't mistake ignorance for safety.

A 16-year-old Costa Rican youth convicted in the March killings of two American women has been sentenced to 15 years in prison, judicial sources said.

Olger Castro Cruz, sentenced on Wednesday in a judicial proceeding closed to the press, received the maximum penalty for murder that a minor can under Costa Rican law. He could be released after seven years, authorities said.

Emily Howell, of Lexington, Ky., and Emily Rachel Eagen, of Ann Arbor, Mich., both 19, were both shot in the head and their bodies left along a highway near the Caribbean coastal town of Puerto Viejo.

Castro Cruz was accused of firing one of two guns used in the murders. Police said he then wrecked the victims’ rented pickup truck and sold the gun, a Spanish-made Basque pistol.

Another Costa Rican man is under arrest and facing trial for the killings and a Nicaraguan suspect wanted in the case is a fugitive.

Howell was a student at Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio and was in Costa Rica on a college cooperative education program. Eagen was a former Antioch student. Both had been living for in the Costa Rican capital for some weeks.

Police earlier said the two women may have given the three suspects a ride in their pickup truck. They also said the motive for the murders was perhaps robbery, and that the killers may have been under the influence of drugs.
so, this is a confession?

When I was there two American girls we kidnapped and killed.

McGarnicle said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
McGarnicle said:

:scared:

The Z Machine said:
Yes, now. Although I was poor at it when I first went. I was pretty much fluent by the end. I've regressed a bit since being back (8 years and counting), but I can hold a conversation and probably even do business.

I ended up there after grad school where I met a professor who brought me in to do research on one of his grants. I was young, debt-free, unmarried, no house, no car. I didn't even have a dog. I could have moved anywhere, but this was the opportunity that presented itself. I could have stuck around to do a PhD there, but declined at returned to the US to be with my girlfriend, who was doing a doctorate herself. It was either stick in Spain and lose my girlfriend, or move back and see where it went with her. I'm married with two kids now, who we are raising bilingually. My wife is originally from Venezuela so she's a native speaker of both English and Spanish.

It was a formative experience and one that I would do all over again in a heartbeat. My wife and I have talked about moving abroad again (Switzerland or Panama the most likely candidates), but careers are tough to manage. I'm not sure either of us would have the job opportunities elsewhere in the same location that we have here in the US.
ughhh

8 years???

has it been that long?

I still remember a lot of your posts about being there or having just got back.

8 years?

damn

McGarnicle said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
McGarnicle said:

I got an alibi. :thumbup:

The Z Machine said:

ughhh

8 years???

has it been that long?

I still remember a lot of your posts about being there or having just got back.

8 years?

damn
15 years, lol.

Murder rate in San Jose is like 1/4 the rate of DC.
I understand that, I stayed here:(wasn't a doubletree at the time, just Cariari Hotel)

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/costa-rica/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-cariari-san-jose-costa-rica-SJODTDT/index.html

They got a great golf course with million dollars houses right near there. They all had bars on the windows and doors. I am sure there are great places to retire but it is still a 3rd world country.

McGarnicle said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
McGarnicle said:

WHERE WAS CRAIG JAMES WHEN THIS HAPPENED?

Users who are viewing this thread