What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (4 Viewers)

Gotta think it's down to the Jets and Dolphins.  He would probably be happy with either... so let the bidding war begin.

There is shame in the Texans biting the bullet and trading Watson to Miami for the #3 pick (plus) that originally belonged to the Texans. Just like there's shame in the Bears trading for Watson now, since they should have just selected him or Mahomes four years ago. Organizations don't like admitting mistakes, even if it was a former GM who made the move. He's gonna be a Jet.

The Culley hire to me screams Easterby and Caserio know they have ALL the power and they wanted to keep it that way and hire a coach they viewed as not threatening to their controlling grip on the franchise and I believe Watson sees this as well.
I agree.  This was always the kind of hire they were going to make.  Ownership and upper management have made this the worst head coaching job in the NFL and I would bet there are a number of college programs more appealing to some top coaches.  The only coach who was going to agree to step into this situation was either a retread who isn't going to get another chance from 95% of the league so this would be his last chance, or a guy like Culley - someone who wasn't ever going to get a shot from 95% of the teams so this was his only chance.

It's just crazy that people are talking about how it's Culley's job to change the culture of the franchise.  Like McNair and Easterby are going to let that happen. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Deshaun Watson requested a trade before the team hired David Culley as their head coach. 

Rapoport said Watson's trade request came last week, though it became public on Wednesday via a tweet from ESPN's Adam Schefter. Watson's relationship with the organization was irreparably damaged when he was not consulted on the hiring of new general manager Nick Caserio. He reportedly found out about the hire the same way we did: on Twitter. Watson, 25, is now in control of where he'll play in 2021, with Robert Saleh's Jets emerging as the front runner. If the Texans play hardball with Watson, they can fine him $95,877 for missing minicamp and $50,000 for each day of training camp he misses. Probably it won't come to that. 

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 28, 2021, 1:38 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers plan to make a "strong push" for Deshaun Watson. 

Rapsheet reports Carolina will be "aggressive" in pursuit of the elite quarterback. As we know, any team with even a passing need at quarterback should be checking into Watson's availability, but the Panthers are a particularly good fit. They have both an acute need under center and the No. 8 overall pick in the draft. The Texans will surely like the fact that they also reside in the opposite conference, limiting the amount of times Watson will be able to embarrass them in the years to come. Sporting an aggressive front office, the Panthers should be taken seriously if the Texans give into Watson's demand to be dealt. 

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 28, 2021, 5:07 PM ET

Hoh said:
Yeah.  But I mean...it’s the Texans...

(yeah you’re right I’m dumb) 🙂
It would be dumb not to trade him within the division if it's the best return.  

Some of the worst sounding moves are when teams say something like they took less compensation to trade the player to another conference.  Considering you play both conferences nearly equally that is way overblown. 

It's so overblown that teams should consider a trade within their own division.  You can't control what other teams do anyways, just do the best for your team even if it "helps" a division rival.

Watson I can see some argument because he's really young. I already see Detroit whispers about trading Stafford outside the conference.  Stafford is 32, you trade him to the Bears if they offer the most. Lions are in a multi year rebuild anyhow. 

Rant done... But doing silly stuff like this over and over again is how the Texans became the Texans and the Lions became the Lions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL at opposite conference.  Who cares about that??? What do you play them 25% more as in 1 game every 4 years instead of 3??? 

Does not matter, and I am so tired of seeing reporters say this stupid crap. 

I guess the rant was not over. 

(not intending to shoot the messenger here if not clear) 

Jets have the capital. So does Miami. Who wants to give up more draft capital, and who wants Deshaun more. That's what it'll come down to.

The Panthers are as unlikely as the Giants. But really, most of the 31 other teams in the game should be involved, especially those with 26-28 year-old running backs that the Texans love so much.

Heard a great quote from Chase Stuart today on Twitter, and allow me to paraphrase: Any rational approach to the Texans situation misunderstands it. They are not taking a rational approach to the situation. We can't even assume they have their own best long-term or short-term interests at hand. How does reason help in a case that has none?

I presume he's talking about Easterby and ownership, and he's right. They're probably looking for good Christian men playing our good Christian game of football for the Lord.

Jets have the capital. So does Miami. Who wants to give up more draft capital, and who wants Deshaun more. That's what it'll come down to.

The Panthers are as unlikely as the Giants. But really, most of the 31 other teams in the game should be involved, especially those with 26-28 year-old running backs that the Texans love so much.

Heard a great quote from Chase Stuart today on Twitter, and allow me to paraphrase: Any rational approach to the Texans situation misunderstands it. They are not taking a rational approach to the situation. We can't even assume they have their own best long-term or short-term interests at hand. How does reason help in a case that has none?

I presume he's talking about Easterby and ownership, and he's right. They're probably looking for good Christian men playing our good Christian game of football for the Lord.
Bingo, why expect rationality from an organization that seemingly went out of their way to antagonize their franchise QB and made a litany of moves each worse than the last? Now suddenly they will make "good" moves? Said it in the Giants thread and I'll say it again; it seems Easterby wants players he can get to buy into his mindset/philosophy as much as he wants picks, which is insane... but here we are.

BTW did I mention Daniel Jones is a devout God-fearing man?

Edgar said:
There is shame in the Texans biting the bullet and trading Watson to Miami for the #3 pick (plus) that originally belonged to the Texans. Just like there's shame in the Bears trading for Watson now, since they should have just selected him or Mahomes four years ago. Organizations don't like admitting mistakes, even if it was a former GM who made the move. He's gonna be a Jet.
Well the Jets had their shot at Watson in the draft as well and chose a safety instead- ironically trading that safety away for two first round picks is what may allow them to acquire Watson now.

Well the Jets had their shot at Watson in the draft as well and chose a safety instead- ironically trading that safety away for two first round picks is what may allow them to acquire Watson now.
I understand Watson doesn’t get to pick his team but would he be happy going to the jets? Seems like a very lateral move. Can’t see it.

I understand Watson doesn’t get to pick his team but would he be happy going to the jets? Seems like a very lateral move. Can’t see it.
Rumors are that it's his first choice. apparently he's a fan of Saleh and wanted the Texans to hire him or Bienemy.

I realize the Jets have been a complete joke but they have a respected GM and HC now so there's a chance it turns around.

Miami is 2nd on this list, Jets are 1st, Texans are 32nd...shocking the role the media is playing in this, have heard very little from Houston and the owner/front office, they should be out in front of this holding press conferences, doing whatever they can to show their fan base they are trying but the sound of crickets are not helping much.

I am dumbfounded how the Texans allowed it to get to this point, I just do not understand and cannot see how any fan would tolerate this. You get a franchise QB, they are hard to find I might add, Watson is coming off a year he accounted for 88% of the offense by my math and outlets I have heard or read about. It is insanity the hand the Texans are playing, how could any fan want to buy a ticket after this? They are ruining the franchise forever, don't give me 3-5 years they will be good as new, not with this lousy owner that isn't even bright enough to have top mind front office folks to help Watson and his career further along, just pitiful and I am speaking as a Phinsfan that has not bought a regular season football ticket to Joe Robbie Stadium in light years it seems...oh I've been to a game or two when a ticket was handed to me but I would not spend money on the team and I still hate the whale logo vs the old Dolphin symbol from the 70s and 80s. 

Do not support that team if they cannot make it work with Watson, kid has a great mind and heart IMHO, a joy to coach, this should not happen and I feel Watson is not treated the same as other top flight QBs, it's not the money but the way they don't allow him to be the natural leader. That's just how I feel and again if they are dumb enough to trade Watson, Miami has nothing to lose and these draft picks which are never a sure thing, trade for him! But that contract is going to eat up all our reserve money mostly and that will not allow us to strengthen and grow in other areas of the team so as much as I want him, I know it's not likely part of this FO or Coach's plan. 

Rumors are that it's his first choice. apparently he's a fan of Saleh and wanted the Texans to hire him or Bienemy.

I realize the Jets have been a complete joke but they have a respected GM and HC now so there's a chance it turns around.
Yeah I just read that after. Head scratcher to me as the jets ownership finds ways to screw things up.

Yeah I just read that after. Head scratcher to me as the jets ownership finds ways to screw things up.
Supposedly - and who knows with Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber - the Johnsons are staying out of decisions and letting Douglas run things. They even change their stupid reporting system where both the GM and HC reported to them seperately. Saleh now reports to Douglas and Douglas reports to ownership.

But yes their ownership has sucked for the most part.

Supposedly - and who knows with Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber - the Johnsons are staying out of decisions and letting Douglas run things. They even change their stupid reporting system where both the GM and HC reported to them seperately. Saleh now reports to Douglas and Douglas reports to ownership.

But yes their ownership has sucked for the most part.
I'd think any team willing to part with two or three first round picks (one of them in this draft) plus one good NFL-ready player would be in the running, so that puts the Jets (and really any team with a 2021 Top Ten pick) in a position of strength. However this is the Texans so if you have an WR with a concussion history or a terrible QB they may take that and two 2nd rounders for all we know.

The consensus seems to be 3 firsts as a starting point but as already said the Texans haven’t been great at trading lately. If anyone is going to compete with Miami and NY, they are likely going to have to give this years 1st and next year’s 1st, plus a good young player (likely on defense), plus something else (another 1st? Combo of 2nds, 3rds, young QB, etc.?)

Carolina was mentioned as possibly “aggressively” pursuing Watson. The 8, next year’s 1st, and one of their young front 7 guys of which they’re loaded with probably gets the conversation started I would guess if the Texans “brain trust” is even the slightest bit rational.

The consensus seems to be 3 firsts as a starting point but as already said the Texans haven’t been great at trading lately. If anyone is going to compete with Miami and NY, they are likely going to have to give this years 1st and next year’s 1st, plus a good young player (likely on defense), plus something else (another 1st? Combo of 2nds, 3rds, young QB, etc.?)

Carolina was mentioned as possibly “aggressively” pursuing Watson. The 8, next year’s 1st, and one of their young front 7 guys of which they’re loaded with probably gets the conversation started I would guess if the Texans “brain trust” is even the slightest bit rational.
They traded away arguably the best WR in the NFL at the time and not only didn't get a 1st back, they took the horrible contract of David Johnson.

They get no benefit of the doubt from me and until further notice are the sucker in the room.

They traded away arguably the best WR in the NFL at the time and not only didn't get a 1st back, they took the horrible contract of David Johnson.

They get no benefit of the doubt from me and until further notice are the sucker in the room.
The guy who did that trade was fired 4 months ago and they have a new coach and new GM now. Maybe they will sell Watson cheap now that he’s publicly demanded a trade but I see no reason to get bent out of shape when you float a terrible trade where a team ships off damaged goods for a star.

Edited a few times, sorry.

Texans GM Nick Caserio reiterated the team's commitment to Deshaun Watson.

"Organizationally, want to reiterate our commitment to Deshaun Watson," Caserio told media Friday. "We have zero interest in trading the player." And yes, he actually referred to Watson as "the player." Clearly at a crossroads with the front office despite its recent hire of respected coach David Culley, Watson finds himself battling for leverage ahead of the 2021 season with an owner, general manager, and coach he refuses to speak with. Even Caserio labeled the team's timeline to resolve any issues with the 25-year-old as a "one-day-at-a-time" process for the organization. With no long-term blueprint or plan in the near future in place to succeed at any level, Watson will certainly remain hard-pressed to waive his no-trade clause if only to escape the trainwreck grasp of owner Cal McNair and Co.

SOURCE: Sarah Barshop on Twitter

Jan 29, 2021, 1:53 PM ET

I am speaking as a Phinsfan that has not bought a regular season football ticket to Joe Robbie Stadium in light years it seems...oh I've been to a game or two when a ticket was handed to me but I would not spend money on the team and I still hate the whale logo vs the old Dolphin symbol from the 70s and 80s. 
At least you've channeled your inner stream of consciousness.

Buckna said:
The guy who did that trade was fired 4 months ago and they have a new coach and new GM now. Maybe they will sell Watson cheap now that he’s publicly demanded a trade but I see no reason to get bent out of shape when you float a terrible trade where a team ships off damaged goods for a star.

Edited a few times, sorry.
Greetings,

Can you expand? As I was reading this I thought you were saying "Well, we fired that guy 4 months ago" and as I was reading that I thought that doesn't absolve the Texans, The Houston Texans and their ownership from the top down, don't care what the names and faces are that are being funneled in and out of the arena/front office/staff, the faces change, the names change perhaps but the results do not. That said, as I was reading the 2nd half of the post, i got a little lost in the damaged goods for a star, maybe I gotta scroll back further but I hope we are not absolving the Texans of potentially being on the brink of losing DeShaun Watson. 

I cannot express how done I would be with Miami if they had actually landed a franchise QB or had a QB that flashed "Franchise" and I'm aware of Tannehill's success in Tennessee but nobody ever thought he was a franchise QB here and not many Phinsfans begrudge him for anything. 

But to have a QB on the roster of Watson's talent and leadership and to see him so angry and frustrated that he openly thru media says he wants to be traded...the fans should be down there railing about the potential loss of Watson. It's not something that should be taken lightly. With the current structure in the AFC, what are the chances the Texans ever compete for a Super Bowl or even an AFCC in the next decade if they lose Watson? It's mind boggling to not hear more outcry from the Houston Texans fan base. There should be season ticket holders already canceling should they trade away Watson. 

I've always had fun posting back and forth with you Buckna, help me understand how a Texans fan can feel good about anything right now? And believe me as a Phinsfan, I have been ready to cut the cord a lot, in fact I have been so critical of Miami prior to 2019/2020(Flores) there almost was a time when the Miami fans on here hated me for being honest and candid and truthful about the reality of the current owner, etc...I still have my doubts they can truly get this turned around and especially with Tua right now but I've eased up a little on being so critical of them, feels like Flores has them moving in the right direction. It might take the NEXT head coach to build on Flores success but I'm hopeful we have the right coach for the next several years maybe an entire decade if we're lucky. 

Cheers! 

The Frankman said:

BOB has been fired

You are correct, it might be 4 1st rounders after seeing what Stafford got! 
Stafford only got about 1 2021 first. 

The Texans have less leverage than the Lions even did.  I am sure Stafford would have been glad to play for Detroit again if they didn't get good enough offers to trade him away. 

Houston is in a crappy spot here.  They should have traded Watson when they knew internally, before the point of no return was reached with the public trade demand. 

Greetings,

Can you expand? As I was reading this I thought you were saying "Well, we fired that guy 4 months ago" and as I was reading that I thought that doesn't absolve the Texans, The Houston Texans and their ownership from the top down, don't care what the names and faces are that are being funneled in and out of the arena/front office/staff, the faces change, the names change perhaps but the results do not. That said, as I was reading the 2nd half of the post, i got a little lost in the damaged goods for a star, maybe I gotta scroll back further but I hope we are not absolving the Texans of potentially being on the brink of losing DeShaun Watson. 

I cannot express how done I would be with Miami if they had actually landed a franchise QB or had a QB that flashed "Franchise" and I'm aware of Tannehill's success in Tennessee but nobody ever thought he was a franchise QB here and not many Phinsfans begrudge him for anything. 

But to have a QB on the roster of Watson's talent and leadership and to see him so angry and frustrated that he openly thru media says he wants to be traded...the fans should be down there railing about the potential loss of Watson. It's not something that should be taken lightly. With the current structure in the AFC, what are the chances the Texans ever compete for a Super Bowl or even an AFCC in the next decade if they lose Watson? It's mind boggling to not hear more outcry from the Houston Texans fan base. There should be season ticket holders already canceling should they trade away Watson. 

I've always had fun posting back and forth with you Buckna, help me understand how a Texans fan can feel good about anything right now? And believe me as a Phinsfan, I have been ready to cut the cord a lot, in fact I have been so critical of Miami prior to 2019/2020(Flores) there almost was a time when the Miami fans on here hated me for being honest and candid and truthful about the reality of the current owner, etc...I still have my doubts they can truly get this turned around and especially with Tua right now but I've eased up a little on being so critical of them, feels like Flores has them moving in the right direction. It might take the NEXT head coach to build on Flores success but I'm hopeful we have the right coach for the next several years maybe an entire decade if we're lucky. 

Cheers! 
No problem, sorry if I wasn’t clear in my earlier post, the poster I responded to was talking about how the Texans haven’t been acting rational (a fair point) so why would they trade Watson for anything close to what’s being speculated in the media or this thread, specifically citing the Hopkins trade as justification for his earlier speculation post of 2 firsts + Danny dimes + Engram for Watson. Jones already looks like a bust and Engram is oft-injured and in the last year of his contract so that’s the damaged goods I was referring to. The guy who negotiated and made the Hopkins trade was fired so I don’t see how it’s relevant any more even if Easterby and ownership signed off on it at the time.

There is nothing at all to be happy about with the Texans at this time, the only thing we can hope for is a reconciliation with Watson or a massive haul in a trade which I am prepared to be disappointed with at this point. Even a big haul of picks still wouldn’t be great as picks bust 50% of the time. I’ve stated in the Houston thread and I think my fellow Houston fans agree, there is zero reason to support this team until Easterby is gone and ideally the team is sold to new ownership (which will probably never happen.) If they trade Watson and draft a bunch of new guys I’ll support those players, it won’t be their fault they got picked by a crappy organization.

Stafford pulled a 1st and 3rd, I am treating the other 1st as payment to take on Goff’s contract. Multiple reports that the Lions had better offers they passed on for a more agreeable destination for Stafford. 3 1sts or 2 plus a good, young player with contract years left still seems like a minimum for Watson if the Texans don’t pull another O’Brien.

You are correct, it might be 4 1st rounders after seeing what Stafford got! 
The Jets No. 2 or the Dolphins No. 3 overall are each worth more than the total package of picks the Rams got - plus the Lions has to take a bad contract. 

if there’s a trade it may seem similar to what the Lions got but in reality it would likely be much more.

No problem, sorry if I wasn’t clear in my earlier post, the poster I responded to was talking about how the Texans haven’t been acting rational (a fair point) so why would they trade Watson for anything close to what’s being speculated in the media or this thread, specifically citing the Hopkins trade as justification for his earlier speculation post of 2 firsts + Danny dimes + Engram for Watson. Jones already looks like a bust and Engram is oft-injured and in the last year of his contract so that’s the damaged goods I was referring to. The guy who negotiated and made the Hopkins trade was fired so I don’t see how it’s relevant any more even if Easterby and ownership signed off on it at the time.

There is nothing at all to be happy about with the Texans at this time, the only thing we can hope for is a reconciliation with Watson or a massive haul in a trade which I am prepared to be disappointed with at this point. Even a big haul of picks still wouldn’t be great as picks bust 50% of the time. I’ve stated in the Houston thread and I think my fellow Houston fans agree, there is zero reason to support this team until Easterby is gone and ideally the team is sold to new ownership (which will probably never happen.) If they trade Watson and draft a bunch of new guys I’ll support those players, it won’t be their fault they got picked by a crappy organization.
Excellent explanation, thank you for expanding the conversation. I think I'm in step with you here. 

zed2283 said:
No way anyone trades 3 firsts for him.
The Phins have the ammo and if you are someone who reads things outside of MoP's opinion than you would think Tua still has rock solid value, Miami could possibly just dangle Tua, the 1.03 and then the 2.03, Houston recoups their picks and get a potential franchise QB according to lots of experts, Phins fans defending Tua quite a bit, most aren't ready to turn the page like MoP who never wanted him to begin with. 

I have tried so hard to keep it quiet thinking that Watson wasn't really ever going to be traded but if he lands on another team outside of Miami I'm gonna be disappointed with all the silly picks we have form the very team where he wants out...how could Miami not be the No 1 landing spot?

What other QB right now has a fighting chance against Mahomes? Miami could still fill in holes with other selections and they have around $50M to piss thru in the off season, maybe more depending on what they are willing to sacrifice. 

But my gut says Flores has a plan and he ain't coming off of his 5 year plan, we're entering Year 3. 

Does anyone here really think any team outside of Miami and NYJ have a realistic chance of landing Watson? Miami has always seemed like the best fit, and he apparently wants to go to NYJ (which more power to him, but seems like a mistake on his part). This talk about Carolina seems far fetched, as they would have a really hard time putting together a package that could beat Miami or NYJ. I know my Skins are desperate and Rivera was reportedly willing to go heavy for Stafford, but I just can’t see them with the ammo to get a deal done. SF seems too conservative with their picks to make a huge move like this, and again, they can’t really beat out Miami and NYJ. Unless Houston is absolutely determined to trade him out of conference, I just don’t see him ending up on any other team but those two AFC East options. It just comes down to who wants him more.

Does anyone here really think any team outside of Miami and NYJ have a realistic chance of landing Watson? Miami has always seemed like the best fit, and he apparently wants to go to NYJ (which more power to him, but seems like a mistake on his part). This talk about Carolina seems far fetched, as they would have a really hard time putting together a package that could beat Miami or NYJ. I know my Skins are desperate and Rivera was reportedly willing to go heavy for Stafford, but I just can’t see them with the ammo to get a deal done. SF seems too conservative with their picks to make a huge move like this, and again, they can’t really beat out Miami and NYJ. Unless Houston is absolutely determined to trade him out of conference, I just don’t see him ending up on any other team but those two AFC East options. It just comes down to who wants him more.
Panthers have a shot too I think. 

Houston HAS to trade him.  They have no choice other than to spite themselves.  Which I suppose they may do, since they are Houston.  

The Phins have the ammo and if you are someone who reads things outside of MoP's opinion than you would think Tua still has rock solid value, Miami could possibly just dangle Tua, the 1.03 and then the 2.03, Houston recoups their picks and get a potential franchise QB according to lots of experts, Phins fans defending Tua quite a bit, most aren't ready to turn the page like MoP who never wanted him to begin with. 

I have tried so hard to keep it quiet thinking that Watson wasn't really ever going to be traded but if he lands on another team outside of Miami I'm gonna be disappointed with all the silly picks we have form the very team where he wants out...how could Miami not be the No 1 landing spot?
I’ve thought all along Miami is the best and most realistic landing spot for him. Much like my Skins, you are ready to win now, already have a solid D in place to compete and can backfill your offense in free agency. Most importantly you have the draft capital to get it done. And you know my thoughts on Tua, it’s best to move on while he still has value imo.

But I think it would take a helluva lot more than the 3, Tua, and a 2nd rounder. Maybe it’s a bluff, but it was reported that Tua wasn’t a player the Texans were high on (can’t blame them, imo). I could see Tua as part of a package, but it would still take at least another 1st, most likely 2 additional firsts. Jamaal Adams got traded for 2 firsts and that was for a safety. I think don’t think Houston stays on the phone for less than 3 firsts. Yes, he’s put Houston in a bad spot, but they have two great options to play off each other in a bid off with the Jets and Miami.

Panthers have a shot too I think. 

Houston HAS to trade him.  They have no choice other than to spite themselves.  Which I suppose they may do, since they are Houston.  
True, but if Miami and NYJ are both interested, those are about the best two options you could ask for to play off each other and start a bidding war. Neither team will want the other one to get him, knowing they’ll have to face him twice a year. And they both have a treasure trove of draft picks. I just don’t see the Panthers able to put together a package enticing enough to land him in a competition with those other two teams.

Users who are viewing this thread