What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jordan Howard , NO (1 Viewer)

Elliott was obviously a great pick for Dallas but no reason to take a RB in top 10 ever. 
I'd say unless we are talking about a true freak of nature, every ten years type of back, which Elliott isn't, you're right. Especially in a situation like Dallas's, Howard at a tenth of the cost could have done the same thing Elliott did. This isn't some big secret in the Nfl though, but Jerry Jones isn't the brightest bulb

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Bears will get a new OC and a tackle this off season,  Whitehair,  Long,  and Sitton will all be back and Howard will be a stud. 
I wonder what part of 1600 yfs, 7 100 yard rush games in 13.5 games and 5.2 ypc isn't already studly?

I'd say unless we are talking about a true freak of nature, every ten years type of back, which Elliott isn't, you're right. Especially in a situation like Dallas's, Howard at a tenth of the cost could have done the same thing Elliott did. This isn't some big secret in the Nfl though, but Jerry Jones isn't the brightest bulb
The Elliott pick wasn't about being an all-world back (I'd argue he is but that's a different thread), it was about the virtual certainty he'd be, at a minimum, very good. 

People are drastically overstating how often 5th round picks succeed to any extent, let alone to the level Howard just did.  There have only been four (now five) 5th round picks or later that broke 1000 yards as a rookie.  Only nine players in the history of the league drafted 5th or later have had more than two 1000+ yard rushing seasons.  Only three of them had more than three seasons over 1000, and none had more than four seasons over 1000 yards.  Alfred Morris (3), Jay Ajayi (1), and Latavius Murray (1) are still active and may extend that.  Those numbers drop to 5/1/0 just by setting the threshold to 1100 yards rushing in a season.

I think the point is that taking a RB in the top 10 these days is very poor value,  although it worked out very well for the Cowboys.  It's why you don't see RBs taken there often. 

According to the Chicago Sun-Times' Adam Jahns, Jordan Howard is "noticeably slimmer" than he was as a rookie.
This is our first blurb on Howard since last Week 17, which isn't very much pub for last year's No. 2 rusher. Howard has completely changed his diet heading into 2017 and wants to play around 225 pounds after being at 230 as a rookie. "I don’t want to come off the field as much," Howard said. "I feel like some people might feel like I might have been just a one-year wonder. That’s motivation to keep coming out here and working and improving my game." Howard is currently being drafted in the early-to-middle second round of fantasy drafts as the overall RB6.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times 
May 31 - 11:51 AM

He's my keeper and this article scared me.

Teams with running backs who finished in the top-12 at the position have averaged a little fewer than nine wins per season over the last five years. Of those 60 performances, only 13 played on teams with fewer than seven wins, and only seven came from teams with five wins or fewer. Moreover, some great work by Sean Fakete shows elite fantasy games are far more likely to come from a running back on a winning team. 
Oddly enough, Howard is 1 of the 7 out of 60 who managed a RB1 finish on a team with less than 5 wins. 

How many times did Barry Sanders do it? Probably the best RB ever that was consistently on bad teams.
I'm sure but the point is they're outliers.

It makes sense right. Bad teams aren't afforded the luxury of running out the clock in the 4th quarter. Bad teams seldom find themselves in the RZ.

Worse yet is that Howard isn't likely to see a ton of passes thrown his way this season so he isn't gameflow proof.

I'm okay with keeping him in the 4th because I still think he'll finish as a solid RB2 but at his current price there's no way I'd draft him normally. Best case scenario is Trubisky comes in and puts the team on his shoulders but that is admittedly a long shot. 

I'm sure but the point is they're outliers.

It makes sense right. Bad teams aren't afforded the luxury of running out the clock in the 4th quarter. Bad teams seldom find themselves in the RZ.

Worse yet is that Howard isn't likely to see a ton of passes thrown his way this season so he isn't gameflow proof.

I'm okay with keeping him in the 4th because I still think he'll finish as a solid RB2 but at his current price there's no way I'd draft him normally. Best case scenario is Trubisky comes in and puts the team on his shoulders but that is admittedly a long shot. 
I understand the risk he has with that ADP but I don't see too many better options at the RB position around there.  He's still their main option in the running game.  They should be a better team than last year.  He still has a great chance to finish as a RB1.

I understand the risk he has with that ADP but I don't see too many better options at the RB position around there. He's still their main option in the running game. They should be a better team than last year. He still has a great chance to finish as a RB1.
His talent is undeniable and the OL, specifically the interior is great. I suppose if he's just as efficient and effective as he was last year he has a very good chance to finish as a RB1 regardless as to how bad CHI is. My real fear is that he faces stacked boxes all season as he only saw 8-man fronts 6.4% of the time last year. I don't even understand how that happened to be honest and it's sure to rise significantly. 

Yeah haha, lots of fear on my end.

His talent is undeniable and the OL, specifically the interior is great. I suppose if he's just as efficient and effective as he was last year he has a very good chance to finish as a RB1 regardless as to how bad CHI is. My real fear is that he faces stacked boxes all season as he only saw 8-man fronts 6.4% of the time last year. I don't even understand how that happened to be honest and it's sure to rise significantly. 

Yeah haha, lots of fear on my end.
If they can get some decent QB play out of Glennon or Trubisky then someone is going to put up good numbers.  I really hope that Trubisky is as good as he performed last night.

I understand the risk he has with that ADP but I don't see too many better options at the RB position around there.  He's still their main option in the running game.  They should be a better team than last year.  He still has a great chance to finish as a RB1.
Define "great".

IMO he is one of the top candidates to finish well below his draft position because of the quality of team around him.

If you think he is the next Barry or O.J. that's fine but I would not be willing to bank on that being the case.

This feels to me like Lamar Miller felt to me last year. There is just no way, in my mind, that he can live up to his perceived hype. That is not saying he will bust or be bad but does mean he likely ends up (imo) as RB14-18 or so.  People tend to lock in all the potential and none of the reality that holds the reigns. You can't categorically say he will get all this opportunity without being able to realistically defend how much opportunity will be there and how they are going to get it and the fact, as of right now, is the Bears are simply not a good team and have a lot of deficiencies. Those things kill RB opportunity.  Drives aren't as long.  Teams don't lead going in to the 4th quarter and get all that garbage time. Bad teams find ways to have players that check out and don't give sustained effort all the way through the season. bad teams find ways to get eliminated and don't keep the energy up all the way through. These are just things that happen.

I see a regression by Howard this season but I still think he's a RB1 longer term.  The combination of a bad team, bottom 5 rushing schedule, sophomore 'slump'... all lead me to avoid Howard in redraft this season.  He'll be startable but probably more of a RB2 this season.  That's what my gut and 25 years of FF experience is telling me.  He's still a must start in 2 RB start leagues.

It's very likely his ADP is inflated but I'm looking at the RBs going around him and now with Zeke out, how do you push this guy out of the top 12? You have DJ, Bell, McCoy, Gordon, Freeman, Ajayi, Murray, Fournette.. and then what? Are you taking Gurley over him? Crowell? Miller? These guys are in similar situations. Are you going to take McCaffrey or Cook over him?

There's a lot of turnover in the top 12 RBs from year to year but just by judging each RBs current situation and most importantly volume, I have a hard time making a case for there to be 12 RBs that should go ahead of him.

Define "great".

IMO he is one of the top candidates to finish well below his draft position because of the quality of team around him.

If you think he is the next Barry or O.J. that's fine but I would not be willing to bank on that being the case.
Since he's the main back and should get a lot of carries he should finish in the top 12.  There aren't that many 3 down backs and I think he's one. 

It's very likely his ADP is inflated but I'm looking at the RBs going around him and now with Zeke out, how do you push this guy out of the top 12? You have DJ, Bell, McCoy, Gordon, Freeman, Ajayi, Murray, Fournette.. and then what? Are you taking Gurley over him? Crowell? Miller? These guys are in similar situations. Are you going to take McCaffrey or Cook over him?

There's a lot of turnover in the top 12 RBs from year to year but just by judging each RBs current situation and most importantly volume, I have a hard time making a case for there to be 12 RBs that should go ahead of him.
Ultimately it's a guessing game. What we do know is that there is almost always a 50% turnover in the top 12 RBs. So you just decide which ones you think will hold and which will fall and have the courage to act accordingly during your draft. And that last part is never quite as easy as it sounds.

Since he's the main back and should get a lot of carries he should finish in the top 12.  There aren't that many 3 down backs and I think he's one. 
But he's not a 3 down back. He's a below average receiver out of the backfield. Actually he was terrible in that department last year with seven drops.

We were saying the same thing about Lamar Miller last year.
Yeah but on top of his team sucking, Miller personally sucked last year. Howard has already shown more than Miller has in any season. 

Just look at each players DYAR from last year. Howard ranked 5th, Miller 34th. Miller performed below replacement level. 

It's interesting because the knock on Howard is that his team sucks yet his team sucked last year and it didn't really matter because of how well he played.

But he's not a 3 down back. He's a below average receiver out of the backfield. Actually he was terrible in that department last year with seven drops.

As a rookie, Howard was very effective in pass protection. His 80.7 pass-block grade ranked eighth and his pass-blocking efficiency of 97.4 ranked sixth out 62 eligible running backs. Howard allowed just two pressures on 62 total pass block snaps. - PFF
He's not going to be coming off the field on 3rd down often. I honestly expect him to see around the same number of targets this year and for him to catch a larger percentage of them. He's been working on his pass-catching during the off-season and had lasik surgery to help correct an apparent problem with his vision.

DropKick said:
So, is all the pessimism a by-product of last night's game?  It is the pre-season, right?
I have no shares of Howard yet this year, but to base anything on last night's  game is just odd. Three carries against one of the best defenses in the NFL is a pretty small sample size.

Overthinking things in the forum again. The kid is a stud. He showed it time and time again last year with a worse offense and defense than he'll have this year. The reasons to avoid him are imagined. 

SameSongNDance said:
Yeah but on top of his team sucking, Miller personally sucked last year. Howard has already shown more than Miller has in any season. 

Just look at each players DYAR from last year. Howard ranked 5th, Miller 34th. Miller performed below replacement level. 

It's interesting because the knock on Howard is that his team sucks yet his team sucked last year and it didn't really matter because of how well he played.
Also Lamar Miller never has had a rushing season as good as Howard with many more opportunities and better offenses.  Howard will be a stud if healthy, absolutely a RB1.  If he was drafted in the first round last year he would have come out of the gate starting instead of basically missing the first three games, and ended up with about 1600 rushing yards most likely.

SameSongNDance said:
He's not going to be coming off the field on 3rd down often. I honestly expect him to see around the same number of targets this year and for him to catch a larger percentage of them. He's been working on his pass-catching during the off-season and had lasik surgery to help correct an apparent problem with his vision.
But he really was a liability in the passing game.

I love his talent, and more importantly the fact that Fox is his coach because he sticks with one back, but I still expect him to be diminished by late game deficits and him being a liability when the Bears are playing catch-up.

Not saying he won't finish top 12 but he is probably the top on my list of guys who fall out of that tier.

I love his talent, and more importantly the fact that Fox is his coach because he sticks with one back, but I still expect him to be diminished by late game deficits and him being a liability when the Bears are playing catch-up.

Not saying he won't finish top 12 but he is probably the top on my list of guys who fall out of that tier.
Whoa, whoa, whoa... He sticks to one back?  What about all the people that keep talking about how Fox loves using RBBC?  Which one is it?  I can't can't get a bearing on what is actually true or not based on people's opinions on this board anymore.

Did you see how bad the Bears were last year and Howard still produced?  Worst season in Bears history.  Still led league in ypc and would've led it in rushing if Fox had any sense and started him from the beginning. That doesn't sound like a player to avoid to me. 

Whoa, whoa, whoa... He sticks to one back?  What about all the people that keep talking about how Fox loves using RBBC?  Which one is it?  I can't can't get a bearing on what is actually true or not based on people's opinions on this board anymore.
Man I don't know 

Don't ask me. I am not one of those people.

FTR I think Howard is plenty talented and his coaching situation is favorable, but he is #1  on my list of RBs who will fall out of the top 12 RBs.  Fine, maybe top 3 with Ajayi and Murray.

SameSongNDance said:
Maybe he improved in this facet of his game but his catch rate was 58%, worst among RBs according to FBGs target sorter.  His seven drops were tied for 3rd worst in the NFL and he did that on only 50 targets which by far the worst drop % in the league at 14%.

Maybe he improved in this facet of his game but his catch rate was 58%, worst among RBs according to FBGs target sorter.  His seven drops were tied for 3rd worst in the NFL and he did that on only 50 targets which by far the worst drop % in the league at 14%.
Jeremy Langford has a worse catch percentage than Howard did in his rookie season at 52.4% I am not sure how many total drops Langford had but I know he dropped one in their home game vs. the Vikings that if he had caught it, the Bears likely would have won that game instead of losing it.

Langford had a 70% catch rate in his second season before being injured.

Average catch rate for RB in the NFL is 73% I wouldn't be at all surprised that RB don't catch as many passes in their rookie season as they do in seasons following that. Players tend to improve after their rookie seasons, and this would be one of those areas of improvement.

Hey, Mitchy looked pretty good out there vs 2s. Everyone writes him off (goff too) but they were picked 1st for a reason. 

I don't recall Goff looking as good in any pro game as trubisky looked the other day
Sure but everyone also said goff was going to take some time to develop. Then when he looks terrible (along with the rest of the team all year) everyone goes "he sucks." Trubisky was written off before he was even drafted, even though most thought he'd be the 1st qb off. Maybe they will bust or be mediocre, but it's baffles me how the NFL can value players one way and the fantasy community dismisses it but loves guys like Watson, Kizer, and maholmes. I mean, didn't goff break Arods records at cal? I'll give him a pass for last year and that team/staff. Mcvey and co will be better, and I think goff will look at least ok. Anyway, it's the Howard thread, but trubisky and Glennon should be an upgrade. 

Sure but everyone also said goff was going to take some time to develop. Then when he looks terrible (along with the rest of the team all year) everyone goes "he sucks." Trubisky was written off before he was even drafted, even though most thought he'd be the 1st qb off. Maybe they will bust or be mediocre, but it's baffles me how the NFL can value players one way and the fantasy community dismisses it but loves guys like Watson, Kizer, and maholmes. I mean, didn't goff break Arods records at cal? I'll give him a pass for last year and that team/staff. Mcvey and co will be better, and I think goff will look at least ok. Anyway, it's the Howard thread, but trubisky and Glennon should be an upgrade. 
IIRC Goff never really took snaps from under center much in college, I recall reading stuff like this about him early on last year as well, that he was adjusting to that and the play book.

The Rams were running an offense that requires that more, wanting to run the ball and use play action passing as a staple. Your fakes to a RB out of shotgun not as deceptive as the QB turning their back to the defense on a fake hand off.

He had no help from his coaching. I recall watching hard knocks last year and all I hear the coaches saying about Goff was "thats what an NFL QB looks like, that's an NFL throw". This inarticulate perspective about QB play shows me that their coaching likely wasn't very nuanced or developed either.

WIth the new coaching staff and an offense that is modern and likely built around what Goff does well, instead of built around trying to run the ball and always show trick plays to Austin will be a great benefit to him and his development. It's just unfortunate he likely didn't get that coaching last year.

The addition of some better weapons in the passing game should help a lot as well. Aside from Britt the Rams didn't have much experience for the rookie to lean on.

Is the O line any good this season?
Which one?

The Rams did add Whitworth the top free agent tackle on the market which should be a big upgrade for them. He still has to get used to the new offense, I wouldn't neccessarily expect him to play at as high a level as he has been with the Bengals right away, but it should really help them.

You could speak more to the Chargers offensive line outlook than I can.

Is the O line any good this season?
To be honest, I don't know if the situation has changed since all of these OL ranking articles were written but..

Rank 5 - Fifth might seem steep for Chicago, but at the moment there isn’t a better interior offensive line in the NFL. Left guard Josh Sitton, center Cody Whitehair, and right guard Kyle Long are all Pro Bowl-caliber players. The issues arise at tackle where Charles Leno and Bobby Massie have never proven themselves more than below average starters.
Rank 7 - Jordan Howard turned in a surprising rookie season but like Ezekiel Elliott, the offensive line gets some of that credit. Maybe most of it. Howard averaged 5.2 yards-per-carry. The guards Kyle Long and Josh Sitton form a great core along with second-year center Cody Whitehair. The tackles could improve but this is a solid unit, especially for the rushing game.
Rank 10 - It’s odd to put the Bears this high, but if this is based solely off the 2016 season (it is), they massively outperformed expectations. With Josh Sitton and Kyle Long locking up the guard positions, their 2016 second-round pick Cody Whitehair looked really good in his rookie campaign. The tackle positions are still a big concern, which will affect the passing game more than it’ll affect someone like Jordan Howard.
PFF OL rankings

Fantasypros

The Huddle

Users who are viewing this thread