Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

6 hours ago, jamny said:

Mentioned just before your previous post.

Sorry. It's such a strange piece of news. He was shot at and wounded  while at a gas station in December.  He was reported missing on Wednesday. They found his car in a retention pond Saturday.  Unconfirmed reports was that the body was in the car.

Accident? DUI? Someone dumping a body? Still waiting on details.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Eephus said:

Reggae legend Bunny Wailer.  The last of the original Wailers.

I was never a huge reggae fan but Bunny was my favorite. I'll pop on Rootsman Skanking in his honor.

Wish I had some weed. RIP Bunny...thanks for the tunes.

1 minute ago, Sea Duck said:

Tony Hendra, the actor who played Spın̈al Tap's manager.

"It's not a big college town..."

More importantly, a prime figure in the ascendancy and success of National Lampoon. He put a lot of very talented people together by being one of the few people on the scene willing to be the brave in a Land of Chiefs. RIP -

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

More importantly, a prime figure in the ascendancy and success of National Lampoon. He put a lot of very talented people together by being one of the few people on the scene willing to be the brave in a Land of Chiefs. RIP -

In the first stage show National Lampoon put on, "Lemmings", Hendra cast John Belushi, Chevy Chase and Christopher Guest in their first big roles. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Very sad. Definitely seemed to have a rougher go of it than the vast majority of his Miracle teammates.

Had a brief but solid NHL career after the Olympics - brought to the Rangers by Herb Brooks and Craig Patrick and still holds the rookie scoring record for the team. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zamboni said:

A couple others within the past few days:

Michael Stanley of the Michael Stanley Band - had a few hits, mostly known for He Can’t Love You

Walter Gretzky, Wayne’s dad and coach 

Michael Stanley, thats a name from the past.

31 minutes ago, zamboni said:

A couple others within the past few days:

Michael Stanley of the Michael Stanley Band - had a few hits, mostly known for He Can’t Love You

Walter Gretzky, Wayne’s dad and coach 

The Michael Stanley Band was legend in most parts of Ohio - these guys were everywhere from HS through most of my 30s.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

The Michael Stanley Band was legend in most parts of Ohio - these guys were everywhere from HS through most of my 30s.

Northeast Ohio/northwestern PA was MSB’s stomping grounds. Being in high school in the late 70s-early 80s was having MSB as your soundtrack. Anywhere they played, they sold out. They were my first concert at Thiel College sometime in that era. 
Later on, his band and Donnie Iris would play shows together in each other’s town. MSB would headline in Pittsburgh and Donnie would return the favor in Cleveland. Stanley had other bands and a solo career after MSB, but it wasn’t the same. 
He was a co-host of PM Magazine on channel 8, and even appeared as himself on The Drew Carey Show. His last job was as afternoon drive DJ on WNCX. 

RIP Michael and thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway. 

Edited by Tom Servo
  • Like 4

On 3/6/2021 at 1:09 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

They were very popular in The Burgh also.

Seems it was the MSB, Donnie Iris or the Iron City House Rockers  booked as the opening act for many shows back in the 80's 

• Like 3

gosh, as someone who's spent his life around players - stars, innovators, roadwarriors, garagebanders - it's beautiful to see y'all react so warmly in memory of an ol' warhorse. rock on!

• Like 3

Norton Juster... a name that might not be instantly recognizable.  But he wrote a children's book called The Phantom Tollbooth.  

My God, I recall reading that book so many times as a youngster, I think the pages started to fall out.    

Berkeley Breathed, the creator of Bloom County, admitted that this book was his first childhood inspiration, so much that he named Milo Bloom and his son after the main character in the book.

Edited by Shankopotamus
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Is that the last of the CBS OGs? Network moment if it is. Clean as a glass plate, this guy. I'm sad for anyone who didnt have the world delivered to them over the tube by Murrow, Cronkite, Trout, Collingwood, Sevareid, Mudd etc. RIP -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

Is that the last of the CBS OGs? Network moment if it is. Clean as a glass plate, this guy. I'm sad for anyone who didnt have the world delivered to them over the tube by Murrow, Cronkite, Trout, Collingwood, Sevareid, Mudd etc. RIP -

Don't bury Dan Rather yet.

The Kalb brothers are also still with us.

22 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Don't bury Dan Rather yet.

The Kalb brothers are also still with us.

i consider Rather 2nd wave, but i'd put the Kalb bros in there, even tho i cant remember the chronology anymore

19 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

91 years old Barbara Walters is holding ground. 

and i can think of few more opposite from CBSNewsness

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:
4 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

i consider Rather 2nd wave,

He predates Roger Mudd in the news business by three years.

They both joined CBS at around the same time -- Mudd in May 1961, Rather in February 1962. But Mudd was far more prominent in those early days, as he did regular reports from Congress and also anchored the weekend news and occasionally filled in for Cronkite.

20 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Dutch engineer Lou Ottens, who invented the audio cassette tape while working for Phillips in 1963, has died at 94.

I'm going to get out my old cassette deck and have it chew up an old mix tape in his honor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 5

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I watched a lot of bowling growing up ...I do not remember Mo.  

More famous in his later years not necessarily as a bowler, but more for designing balls and coming up with new layouts/ball technology/etc. He was one of the founders of Radical.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Dutch engineer Lou Ottens, who invented the audio cassette tape while working for Phillips in 1963, has died at 94.

no offense, but i hope he's lowered to his final rest by sprockets & pencils. RIP -

ETA: dang - Bink beat me to it...

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Man With No Name said:

Loved hearing call Cavs games. Broadcasting Hall of Famer.

I used to pull their games in on 3WE Cleveland.  I think he called the Len Barker perfect game also.  ALways liked Tait, reminede me of Jim Durham in Chicago.

17 hours ago, FairWarning said:

I used to pull their games in on 3WE Cleveland.  I think he called the Len Barker perfect game also.  ALways liked Tait, reminede me of Jim Durham in Chicago.

He did indeed call that, along with no-hitters by Bozman in ‘74 and Dennis Eckersley in ‘77. 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:36 PM, Encyclopedia Brown said:

91 years old Barbara Walters is holding ground. 

Reminds me of Johnny Carson as Carnack on a hot summer night decades ago, paraphrasing the joke.

JC: 93 and sultry.

Ed McMahon:  93 and sultry?

JC: Glares at Ed, rips open the envelope, crowd anticipating the joke begins to giggle.

JC: Who is Barbra Walters.

Band rips off a big Rimshot crowd doubles over in laughter.

• Like 3