What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Robbie Chosen (1 Viewer)

I also am going with Robby over Tyler Boyd.  I like the matchup but obviously injury to Teddy is a concern.

Robby Anderson has a 27 percent target share through 11 weeks, but just one touchdown. 

Anderson had another scoreless game in Week 11 against Detroit, catching seven of nine targets for 46 yards. D.J. Moore continues to be Carolina's primary deep threat -- a role reversal few saw coming at the start of the season. Moore has averaged 12.3 air yards per target to Anderson's 9.2. FanDuel's JJ Zachariason noted that "only one WR has finished a season since 2011 with at least 25% of his team's targets and 1 (or fewer) touchdown: Brian Hartline in 2012. Vincent Jackson ('14) and Kendall Wright ('13) each had 2 TDs." It's not the best company for Anderson. He'll maintain his status as a high-end WR3 in Week 12 against Minnesota. 

RELATED: 

D.J. Moore

SOURCE: JJ Zachariason on Twitter 

Nov 23, 2020, 11:14 AM ET

What’s the deal with this guy? Why is he still consistently ranked weekly in the top 25? 
Hasn’t had a good week in over a month. 1 TD on the year. WR corps is now fully a three headed monster with Samuel heavily involved and Robby is getting the least valuable targets/touches. This year he is basically like JuJu on a much less explosive offense.

This guy still seems like he is being ranked off his first 3 week start to the season. What am I missing here?

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the deal with this guy? Why is he still consistently ranked weekly in the top 25? 
Hasn’t had a good week in over a month. 1 TD on the year. WR corps is now fully a three headed monster with Samuel heavily involved and Robby is getting the least valuable targets/touches. This year he is basically like JuJu on a much less explosive offense.

This guy still seems like he is being ranked off his first 3 week start to the season. What am I missing here?
He's still seeing good target volume. The last 5 weeks 8, 8, 13, 6, 9. 9th in the NFL over that span. 

He's still seeing good target volume. The last 5 weeks 8, 8, 13, 6, 9. 9th in the NFL over that span. 
Right, I get that. It’s just that the targets are low value targets. Only 3 red zone targets on the year. Moore seems to established himself as the preferred deep threat. Samuel gets red zone touches and designed plays for him at the goal line. He’s getting targets but not a lot of yards. Hasn’t cracked 80 yards since week 5. I guess he’s still decent if you play full ppr. I play mainly half point and standard so there is much less appeal there. The way this guy is being used lately, he’s turned into a moderate floor, low ceiling option. Not much upside. Still think the “Expert” ranks haven’t caught up with the current reality of this guy.

Robby Anderson caught 4-of-7 targets for 94 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' Week 12 loss to the Vikings.

Despite a strong WR2 season as the Panthers' leading receiver, Anderson entered Sunday with just one touchdown. He cashed in his positive touchdown regression touchdown against Minnesota's bottom-level secondary on a missed assignment over the middle. Anderson's floor is set and his ceiling could be higher down the stretch depending on the severity of D.J. Moore's lower-leg injury. Anderson will be, at worst, a WR2/3 play coming out of the Week 13 bye.

- Rotoworld

Robby Anderson caught 8-of-12 targets for 84 yards and handled two carries for 13 yards in the Panthers' Week 14 loss to the Vikings

The 12 targets led the team. Overall, the Panthers offense simply could not get going in the first half, but Anderson and Curtis Samuel took over in the final quarter and a half. Anderson's volume might be a tick higher with D.J. Moore out of the lineup, but the over ceiling of the offense appears to be much lower. Anderson remains a WR2 against the Packers in Week 15.

- Rotoworld

Robby Anderson caught 2-of-5 targets for 21 yards in the Panthers' Week 15 loss to the Packers.

Anderson had zero impact on this game and did not see his first target until the second half. A re-watch might show Jaire Alexander trailing Anderson, but D.J. Moore simply was relied on more to create downfield, and Joe Brady attempted to incorporate Curtis Samuel near the line of scrimmage. Still, the 21 yards were enough to get Anderson over 1,000 receiving yards on the season for the first time in his career. Anderson and Moore are the last Panthers' duo to both reach the 1,000-yard mark in the same season since Muhsin Muhammad and Patrick Jeffers in 1999.

Dec 20, 2020, 12:46 AM ET

Robby Anderson caught 7-of-10 targets for 39 yards and one score in Carolina's Week 16 win over Washington.

It was only his third touchdown of the year despite stacking 129 targets to date. Both D.J. Moore (5/37) and Anderson struggled to make plays down the field as Teddy Bridgewater was kept on his toes and sacked four times. Anderson's 14-yard touchdown late in the second quarter was unsurprisingly his longest gain on the afternoon. He'll wrap up his career-best season in Week 17 against the Saints.

Dec 28, 2020, 6:29 AM ET

Robby Anderson (groin) did not practice Wednesday.

With Christian McCaffrey (quad) and Mike Davis (ankle) already out for Week 17, the Panthers could be without some key playmakers against the Saints. It's a new injury for Anderson, and a DNP to start the week is an ominous sign for a soft-tissue issue. Curtis Samuel and D.J. Moore would be big beneficiaries should Anderson sit.

Dec 30, 2020, 5:03 PM ET

Robby Anderson caught 88 of 163 targets for 1,353 yards and 11 touchdowns from Sam Darnold when both played for the Jets.

Anderson caught 86 of 118 targets from Teddy Bridgwater in 2020, including a meager three touchdowns. Anderson's yards per target didn't change all that much between his days with Darnold in New York and Bridgewater in Carolina, but his TD rate -- 6.7 percent with Darnold and 2.5 percent with Teddy -- stands out in a side-by-side comparison. Anderson, who dominated air yards for the Jets in 2019, finishing the season with more air yards than all but 10 receivers, saw an eye-popping 20 end zone targets from Darnold. In 2020, he had five end zone looks. Carolina offensive coordinator Joe Brady did not use speed merchant as a downfield threat in 2020. Perhaps Anderson's role will change with the bigger-armed Darnold now under center. 

RELATED: 

Sam Darnold

SOURCE: Mike Clay on Twitter 

Apr 6, 2021, 10:46 AM ET

I've had Robby since his rookie year and really like him but am I the only one who is surprised by how rich this contract is?  This tells me that Carolina sees him as a really important piece of the offense and I see his dynasty value and redraft value tick up as a result of this show of faith by his team.

He's pretty underpaid at the moment in a 2 year $20M contract and the cap will explode next year so now is the time to do it.

This guy is worthless this year. Probably my worst call of the draft. He fell to me but still. The narrative that Darnold was going to further boost his stock given their past chemistry was completely wrong. People underestimated the amount of targets a healthy CmC takes at Robby’s expense. And Darnold seems to only have eyes for DJ so far this season. Could be borderline cuttable at this point.

Not invested but was trying to get him in most drafts. Seemed like the better value compared to DJ…way off so far. Still early but with Marshall likely ascending I wouldn’t be surprised if he never really takes off.

What we seem to be seeing is what many expected last year when Robby was first brought in: Moore would be the ascending alpha receiver, with Robby as the down-the-field, complementary threat. Bridgewater and Anderson seemed to have a nice connection, and that continued all year, even though Moore got his too.

With Bradford, he clearly seems to really trust and lock into Moore. I expect Anderson will have his big games, but Moore has obviously established himself as the go-to guy. And with McCaffrey out for who knows long, the arrow is pointing up for the passing game overall.

Very frustrating. I hold multiple shares, but was only compelled to start him in 1 League last night. Targeted him in many a Draft with a RB-heavy blueprint, as a value play committee member. Unfortunately for me, another WR in that bucket was Gallup. Thankfully most of the others are holding their own thus far (Mike Williams, Marvin Jones, JuJu, Boyd). Long way to go, hope we see an uptick in usage as the Season plays out.

Very frustrating. I hold multiple shares, but was only compelled to start him in 1 League last night. Targeted him in many a Draft with a RB-heavy blueprint, as a value play committee member. Unfortunately for me, another WR in that bucket was Gallup. Thankfully most of the others are holding their own thus far (Mike Williams, Marvin Jones, JuJu, Boyd). Long way to go, hope we see an uptick in usage as the Season plays out.
I don’t own him in any leagues but had plans to take him in the middle rounds. I know Marshall is ascending but it’s not like he’s been a target hog, they supported three relevant WRs last year.

Just didn’t see this coming. Guy was a great deep threat (w/ Darnold) on NYJ, goes to Carolina and becomes a solid possession WR (DJM being the ADot king) - totally different kind of role - and then gets reunited with Sam.

Eveyone thought he was gonna be good again. Weird.

on the same boat with you's who drafted him in the mid rounds. ugh. in case you missed the game last night and still have any optimism left, I don't think Darnold looked his way at all until those two targets in the fourth Q. Pecking order for his reads were generally Moore, Marshall, the Tight End, checkdown RB, that other receiver I didn't know was on this team, and then Bob.

Nobody predicted a massive aDoT flip (Moore and Anderson switched places with Robby's actually increasing), but the other thing to note is the passing tree is no longer as narrow as it once was. Sure Marshall Jr. is getting looks, but so is Brandon Zylstra, Alex Erickson, Tommy Tremble, Dan Arnold, Chuba Hubbard (when McCaffrey isn't in)... and so on. With Moore's targets increasing any look that isn't Moore/McCaffrey is nowhere near favored to go to Robby Anderson now. Extremely high aDoT + lesser targets always equals bad for a non #1 WR in the offense.

Until teams actually scheme to take away Moore, it's going to be an issue. The Dallas game looks to be a huge test because Trevon Diggs is ascending to be the next NFL shutdown corner, and he and Moore should have a great duel. With no McCaffrey, that should be a "get-right" game for Anderson.

Good news is I only played him week 1. So far this was my biggest miss in the draft.  He’s just a non-factor. I’m going to hold for now but he’s on the bench until I see usage 

Panthers' HC Matt Rhule believes Robby Anderson needs to be more involved in the offense.

Anderson has just 11 targets through three games while D.J. Moore has 31. Drafted at a slight discount to Moore this off-season, Anderson has been several ballpark's removed from Moore's target share. Anderson has been effective when targeted with a 9.4 YPT, and involving him more makes sense to keep defenses honest. He's unlikely to be able to slow down Moore's breakout, however. Moore has 2.69 YPRR this season, this third straight season with elite per route efficiency. Anderson can at least get back into the WR3 mix with more target volume.

- David Newton, Twitter
Oh really? You THINK???

I'm confused some by Anderson's usage so far. He played well last year with a lot of opportunities inspiring Carolina to give him a decent contract. Now he's targeted sparingly. I'm inclined to take Rhule at his word to get him more involved but perhaps that's wishful thinking. 

I'm confused some by Anderson's usage so far. He played well last year with a lot of opportunities inspiring Carolina to give him a decent contract. Now he's targeted sparingly. I'm inclined to take Rhule at his word to get him more involved but perhaps that's wishful thinking. 
It's a little more effort likely for Brady, especially early on. DJ is a star, he's gonna do his thing and succeed regardless of scheme/coaching/etc. And he already knows exactly how to use and what Marshall is capable of from their time at LSU.

I'm sure Robby's usage will improve as Brady finds a way to efficiently fit him in his scheme as the season progresses. That said... I've said in another thread, if Robby is going to be used as that deep threat, all-or-nothing type (a role I believe he is probably best fitted for), I'm not sure you'll ever be able to confidently use him for fantasy purposes.

Is Terrence Marshall better than Anderson? He looked great in preseason and in game 3.

Is Terrence Marshall better than Anderson? He looked great in preseason and in game 3.
I think he's certainly more versatile, and can be used all around the field. His contributions have been small thus far, but incredibly consistent through 3 games. 3/6, 3/3, 4/5. Twice as many catches as Anderson.

The biggest thing for me is the history with Brady + the early usage is what leads me to believe Robby will likely be phased out to the #3 WR.

Robby going by numbers proved he could be an all-around receiver last year. His aDot was considerably lower, his catch % was fine; he just had to deal with the inconsistency of Teddy Bridgewater (who suddenly looks like a star in Denver, go fig). To me, the reason I wanted Robby wasn't so much that he had a connection with Darnold, it's the work he did in 2020 ADDED to his Darnold connection. DJ is pretty much the same guy he's always been; it's just that he's being used exactly like the YAC machine he is and getting looks at every opportunity from Darnold. You don't usually see such a radical aDoT reversal between two receivers like this unless a team radically underutilized one of them/IS under-utilizing one now.

Taking McCaffrey out of the equation for a few weeks and Moore seeing tougher corners should help Robby, unless Sam gets more diverse with the targets again.

Well I launched after 3 weeks on my bench looking like a turd.

He was drafted as my wr3 and based in my other receivers he slotted down to 6.

Cooks, Williams ,Claypool all passed him to go with Kupp and McLaurin.

So off he goes. I won't be concerned if he has the odd boom game bit there won't be any consistency based on how they are using him now. Let him clog someone else's bench.

We could get a good answer by watching some film, but unfortunately the NFL still doesn't offer the all-22. So we're sort of in the dark.

Playing the odds, I find it hard to believe. Using NFL salaries as an objective measure of a player's ability, spotrac has Robby as the 18th highest paid wide receiver. Now I'm not saying he's the 18th best in reality, but the odds of a 2nd round wr achieving this feat is well below 50%. Not to mention Robby is in his prime while Marshall is a 21 year old rookie. I would consider the idea Terrace is better a form rookie fever. Occasionally correct but more often not.

Now there is the Brady connection thing. But, wasn't he the OC last year drawing up plays for Anderson?

Robby Anderson caught 5-of-11 targets for 46 yards in Carolina's Week 4 loss to Dallas.

Anderson's 11 targets were two more than he had seen all year and just one shy of D.J. Moore's mark (12) for the team lead. Anderson was used in his typical fashion down the field at times but was also brought closer to the line of scrimmage (and in some cases, behind it) for a handful of plays without Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) available underneath. Third-string RB Rodney Smith was the next closest on the team with five targets. Assuming his increased volume remains consistent without McCaffrey, Anderson can be started with confidence as a WR3 in next week's tremendous matchup against the Eagles.
Darnold also missed him on a long TD. His aDoT was much more reasonable and 11 targets to boot, he's back in the WR3 circle of trust IMHO.

Darnold also missed him on a long TD. His aDoT was much more reasonable and 11 targets to boot, he's back in the WR3 circle of trust IMHO.

The downside Frank is that targeting Anderson 11 times didn't help much vs Dallas. They were trailing at one point in the 2nd half 33-14 and I wish we could trust Anderson but in the previous 3 games Carolina won, Anderson didn't factor in a lot especially with targets. He might have had more targets Sunday than the previous 3 games combined. 

I applaud the coach for following thru but in terms of what that dedication did to turn the tide of that game on Sunday, not much and to me that doesn't make him essential in the offense when Carolina wins football games. Just my feelings

I'm not sure what you're trying to state here. Targeting Anderson didn't somehow factor into losing (are you saying he saw more targets because they were behind?), the overrated Carolina D couldn't stop Dallas. Moore saw his normal target allotment (for some reason Dallas did not shadow Moore with Diggs) so it's not like Robby took Moore's targets. All the utilization numbers trend well for Robby going forward.

EDIT: I don't have his aDoT numbers yet, but visually his aDoT was much closer to the LOS.

Robby Anderson caught 2-of-7 targets for 30 yards in the Panthers' Week 5 loss to the Eagles. 

Anderson had the Philly secondary cooked for a would-be long touchdown in the first half but Sam Darnold left the pass short. Beyond that play, Anderson’s Week 5 was uneventful. He and D.J. Moore paced the team with seven targets apiece. Anderson has 18 targets over the past two weeks but he’s converted that into just 76 yards. He has caught a measly 41 percent of his passes this year and doesn't appear to be on the same page as Darnold. With Moore likely to lead the Panthers in targets most weeks and Christian McCaffrey set to return, Anderson can be viewed as a WR3/4 going forward.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Robby Anderson caught 3-of-11 targets for 11 yards and a touchdown in Carolina's Week 6 loss to the Vikings.

The good news is Anderson registered a 26.8% target share from Sam Darnold, salvaging his afternoon with a seven-yard touchdown with 1:27 remaining to tie the game at 28 all. The bad news is that he registered as many drops (3) as receptions, constantly mishandling throws from Darnold that would have otherwise moved the chains. The duo's disconnect has been evident all year, but Anderson has still fortunately averaged 9.6 targets in Carolina's last three games without Christian McCaffrey (hamstring, IR) and Dan Arnold. Admittedly hard to trust, Anderson's involvement behind D.J. Moore the past three weeks will still keep him locked in as an opportunity-based WR3/4 in Week 8 against the Giants.

This guy is so frustrating this year.  But that late TD might have saved me the week.

11 Targets though is quite promising.  Didn't see the game, how did he only catch 3 of 11?  Uncatchable balls?

This guy is so frustrating this year.  But that late TD might have saved me the week.

11 Targets though is quite promising.  Didn't see the game, how did he only catch 3 of 11?  Uncatchable balls?
Darnold is or was flat out God awful. You see that completion percentage? It makes hurts look like Marino 

TampaMike19 said:
Darnold

is or was flat out God awful. You see that completion percentage? It makes hurts look like Marino 
what a misleading post: Anderson dropped at least 3 easy catches, it was one of the worst games you will ever see a WR have with hands. Stadium booed him, the mock cheered when he finally caught one

Deamon said:

Drops

TampaMike19 said:
Darnold is or was flat out God awful. You see that completion percentage? It makes hurts look like Marino 
Ugh you mean Robby was awful. Darnold wasn’t great by any means today, but his receivers didn’t do him any favors. Robby was by far the worst. Three horrendous drops if I remember correctly. 

compromise: It's both. Darnold was terrible, overthrowing receivers and getting spooked by pressure. Anderson, Moore, and Hubbard did him no favors by dropping multiple balls each (Robby 3, DJ and Chuba at least 2, Erickson and Marshall I think had a drop too).

That being said, this was probably the first game all year  (stretch to say a second) Robby blew his chances. The only other good news is you saw his aDoT consistently lower now and his target share in the offense pretty solid. Also if Marshall misses time with his concussion that'll narrow the passing tree.

Robby Anderson caught 1-of-3 targets for two yards in the Panthers' Week 9 loss to the Patriots. 

As feared, Sam Darnold was erased by the Pats, rendering Anderson a box score afterthought. The only notable moment was when CBS' cameras caught Anderson laying into Darnold on the sideline. The wideout claimed after the game everything was good between the two, but something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark in this offense. We don't know how much longer coach Matt Rhule can stick with Darnold's unspeakably bad performances. Anderson will not be a viable WR4 for however long Darnold remains the starter.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread