What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Wayne Gallman, ATL (1 Viewer)

Some HCs are so damn stubborn. Maybe McAdoo gives too much autonomy to their OC or RB coach, but Gallman should've been active after game 1, IMO.

I'm not super-high on Gallman, but holy cow, they need a running game. He's got some talent. Give Gallman some touches & see what he can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some HCs are so damn stubborn. Maybe McAdoo gives too much autonomy to their OC or RB coach, but Gallman should've been active after game 1, IMO.

I'm not super-high on Gallman, but holy cow, they need a running game. He's got some talent. Give Gallman some touches & see what he can do.
Agreed, not a Giants fan or a Gallman owner, but #### it, they need to do something.

Perkins has lost what burst he had in 2016. Darkwa isn't bad but inconsistent pass blocker and injury prone, Gallman needs to be active unless he can't play on Special Teams at all.

(RotoWire) Gallman could dress for Sunday's game against the Buccaneers and factor into the Giants' offensive game plan, Tom Rock of Newsday reports.

Analysis: Gallman has been a healthy inactive for all three of the Giants' games thus far, but with the status of backups Orleans Darkwa (back) and Shane Vereen (calf) in question for Week 4, the rookie fourth-round pick has a realistic shot at making his NFL debut. Since the 22-year-old held only a minor role as a receiver out of the backfield for a deep Clemson squad last season, he'd likely make for a more natural replacement for Darkwa than Vereen, but it appears coach Ben McAdoo is comfortable deploying Gallman on both passing and running downs if starter Paul Perkins requires a breather. If at least one of Darkwa or Vereen is active Sunday, Gallman's path to ample snaps would become a little more blocked, but simply being active for the contest would give the first-year player an opportunity to stake his claim to more work in future weeks. The Giants have struggled to generate production from any of their top three running backs this season, so any spark Gallman is able to provide would likely be rewarded.
I picked him up in dynasty after this news.  Worth a swing at the price. 

I haven't watched any of his tape yet but reading this about him..

Gallman has limited instincts as an interior runner and needs lanes rather than creases, but he's physical enough to bang out tough yardage.
..makes me think the NYG OL isn't going to be doing him any favors. But hey, at least he won't hit the ground like Earth's gravity suddenly increased tenfold like Perkins does when he's grazed by the flailing arm of a defender.

He took 85% of the reps with the starters this week. I'll get you a link...

http://nypost.com/2017/09/28/rookie-could-be-the-cure-for-what-ails-giants-running-game/

The past two days, Gallman estimated he received about 85 percent of the reps with the starting offense, with Vereen and Darkwa out and Perkins not given a full load in practice. Gallman could get the call, for the first time, Sunday. On Monday, he turns 23.

“That would be the best time of my life,” Gallman said. “Would be a dream come true.”

I posted in the Giants thread.A longstrider who looked decisive, pushes the pile and has burst. Plus the guy and catch the ball.

I picked up Gallman for Darkwa before the game started. Looks like he could be the starter going forward, especially with Perkins hurt.

I picked up Gallman for Darkwa before the game started. Looks like he could be the starter going forward, especially with Perkins hurt.
I did this on Friday. Hoping it pays dividends. Nice to see the kid score a touchdown in his first game--on his birthday no less  :)

Saw a tweet that he should get a chance at some touches just after the 1 pm games started, really glad I had someone to drop for him. Didn't see any of the game but I thought he looked decent in college and now the opportunity is there for him

Wayne Gallman rushed 11 times for 42 yards and caught both of his targets for eight yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 4 loss to the Bucs.

Advice: Gallman only had one carry for two yards in the first half, but he capitalized on his chance when Paul Perkins picked up an injury in the third quarter. He went for 13 yards on his first carry and got open the in flat for a four-yard touchdown to close out the drive. While his per-carry average was nothing to write home about, Gallman consistently gained positive yardage and looked infinitely better than Perkins has at any point this year. Even with Orleans Darkwa likely on the way back, the Giants have to give Gallman a shot moving forward. He will be an add in every format this week.
I might be a bit biased but as a Giants fan, but if he has no pass protect issues he should be the starting RB. Looked to be better than Perkins in all facets except appearing like you're running with a 50 pound weight on your back.

Went to check past scouting reports on Gallman

NFL.com

ProFootball Focus

WalterFootball.com

Jack or all trades, master of none. The biggest takeaways I saw that were in the Giants game is the upright power style. He pushed the pile and fell forward but yeah, he runs real high. He's supposed to have pass-catching and blitz pickup issue but he actually did well in both facets in the game.

I don't think there's any question Gallman is their best RB. Not super-high on him, but he runs hard & his lateral agility is underrated. Gallman has loose hips & uses them to his advantage at the 2nd level.

Does everything pretty well. Gallman is the type of RB who could surprise with help from his offense. Their OL is a problem, but if they can get the passing game going, he could put up some numbers.

I think the biggest takeaway - if Gallman does take over the job - is his usage in the passing game. It might not necessarily be the case that Vereen, who is showing his age, automatically comes in on 3rd downs or other obvious passing situations. 

I think the biggest takeaway - if Gallman does take over the job - is his usage in the passing game. It might not necessarily be the case that Vereen, who is showing his age, automatically comes in on 3rd downs or other obvious passing situations. 
That's the interesting thing. I saw him in preseason and yesterday's game and was like "Hey he's not bad at pass-catching and shows ball awareness"... but his past says he's bad at it. Considering Giants want to manage Vereen's reps to prevent a repeat of last year's injuries with Vereen, he could stay in on some 3rd downs.

That's the interesting thing. I saw him in preseason and yesterday's game and was like "Hey he's not bad at pass-catching and shows ball awareness"... but his past says he's bad at it. Considering Giants want to manage Vereen's reps to prevent a repeat of last year's injuries with Vereen, he could stay in on some 3rd downs.
I don't know if he was bad at it - I just don't think they needed him in that role at Clemson. I could be wrong though, as I'm not a big college guy.

As for Vereen, I can't imagine they're all that concerned at this point about preventing him from staying fresh. Just seems like his best days are behind him.

This guy isn't getting enough buzz considering the opportunity.  Mid round rookie, looked better than any RB has on the team in half a quarter.  Sure the Giants have been terrible and he's not going to average 5yds a pop.  But he can get volume, TD's and catch a few passes.  To me he's the #1 waiver wire add in dynasty this week, easily.

This guy isn't getting enough buzz considering the opportunity.  Mid round rookie, looked better than any RB has on the team in half a quarter.  Sure the Giants have been terrible and he's not going to average 5yds a pop.  But he can get volume, TD's and catch a few passes.  To me he's the #1 waiver wire add in dynasty this week, easily.
I'm thinking it's between Latavius and Gallman, leaning towards Latavius.

steelers1080 said:
Aaron Jones is available in my league and I have the #1 waiver claim. Do you take Latavius, Aaron Jones or Gallman?
I have to think Gallman has the clearest path to 3-down usage.  

I'm a Packers fan who hasn't bought into the Ty Montgomery hype but McCarthy clearly loves the guy.  He can't stay healthy but when he is healthy he is their clear #1 workhorse.

Latavius isn't 100% healthy (still recovering from his ankle surgery) and is what he is.  I feel that backfield is going to be a messy RBBC.

Personally I'm going Jones, Gallman and ignoring Murray. I could see a case for Gallman ahead of Jones though.
I know this is a Gallman thread, but I have some curiosity as to why you blow off Murray. Besides the ankle issue, which is a red herring, he has the clearest path to significant touches - beyond week 5 of course. Murray is who is, and that's the guy whom the Vikings gave 15 mil. Pretty sure they said he's a reliable three down back. He'll lack Cook's effectiveness but he'll be on the field almost all the time. 

I know this is a Gallman thread, but I have some curiosity as to why you blow off Murray. Besides the ankle issue, which is a red herring, he has the clearest path to significant touches - beyond week 5 of course. Murray is who is, and that's the guy whom the Vikings gave 15 mil. Pretty sure they said he's a reliable three down back. He'll lack Cook's effectiveness but he'll be on the field almost all the time.
I think he looks bad and I was never impressed with him even when he was in OAK. I think it will be a 60/40 split between him and McKinnon in his favor. I think McKinnon will work on 3rd downs/hurry up and that Murray will get work between the 20s (not all of it) and in short yardage situations. For the asking price I don't think he's worth it and what I'd be willing to bid on him would never be enough to acquire him. Plus, I even think there's a non-zero chance that C.J Ham gets mixed in a bit. This is just my opinion though and I could be wrong. This week's waiver wire, as it pertains to RBs, is one of the most muddled in recent memory.

I think he looks bad and I was never impressed with him even when he was in OAK. I think it will be a 60/40 split between him and McKinnon in his favor. I think McKinnon will work on 3rd downs/hurry up and that Murray will get work between the 20s (not all of it) and in short yardage situations. For the asking price I don't think he's worth it and what I'd be willing to bid on him would never be enough to acquire him. Plus, I even think there's a non-zero chance that C.J Ham gets mixed in a bit. This is just my opinion though and I could be wrong. This week's waiver wire, as it pertains to RBs, is one of the most muddled in recent memory.
I would agree with this. I think Cook's productiveness is more attributed to his talent than the offense/OL. That is going to be a problem for whoever takes over. Latavius wasn't all that impressive, and it smells like the running game production from last year without Cook.

I disagree about going after Jones. I think he's a 1 week guy, if that. If Ty comes back, he's not taking the carries from him unless Ty gets hurt again. McCarthy was bullheaded and wouldn't use Ty enough last year (or this year). The offense clicks so much better with him in there, and it took him a very long time to consistently make use of him. I don't see him just switching to Jones so easily.

In order of value (based on opportunity + talent):

• Latavius Murray 
  • Gallman
  • Aaron Jones
Murray has the best opportunity. He'll be slotted in a their lead back immediately with no competition for touches other than McKinnon on 3rd downs. 

Gallman is just objectively better than Perkins and it's clear. But the Giants O-line is horrendous and who knows if Perkins continues to get play despite his lack of talent. 

Jones is the best back of the bunch but he'll be forced to compete with Williams in the short term and will absolutely, unquestionably lose the starting role to TyMo when he returns after however long it takes him to heal multiple broken ribs while also dealing with the sickle cell trait that makes healing more difficult, apparently. 

SaintsInDome2006 said:
If you don't mind my asking, don't Gallman and Murray hold the promise of season long value, while Jones has the hedge of Williams and Montgomery returning? On that basis, even if Jones is a promising back why not prioritize those two? Just curious about your thinking. Thanks.
I mentioned my reasoning in slightly more depth in the week 5 WW thread. This is simply a bet against Ty's health and a bet on Jones' talent. I think there's a shot Jones has better short and long-term value than either Gallman or Murray.

But again things are muddled, I'm sitting here trying to make fantasy decisions when I'm sure Carrol, Zimmer, McAdoo and McCarthy are still unsure about how they're going to handle their backfields in real life. All I can do is track utilization, snaps, watch coaches film and go with my gut.

Yeah I think Darkwa is Gallman's only threat right now, but the Giants don't really trust him in the sense he never got a shot to beat out Perkins until the Eagles game.

EDIT: WTH don't give me likes, give SSND them! He did the work!

Anyway we're a little off the rails here.

Who can tell me more about Gallman? I watched him a little at Clemson and he looked good last week. I don't have a good feel for him.

That O-line is a bit of a mess but sometimes units gell as the season goes on; surely he is a step up from what they have been trying. The Giants have had a muddled rbbc approach for 3 years (since they signed Vereen) and it's been forever since they've had an effective run game that featured a back getting 15-20 touches per game.

I posted a crapton about Gallman and who he profiles similarly to... one name I found interesting was James Starks. Ran upright with some power, always seemed to fall forward. The vid SSND posted shows the same thing about Gallman.

The question for me is will Gallman get enough volume to be effective?

In the very limited sample I have seen of him this year he looks like the the best of the NYG rb’s, but I fear the Giants will work too many people in and drastically limit his upside.

Guys who pay attention to the Pack a lot more than me say that competition already happened and has been lopsided in Jones favor for months.
And who is to say how fast Jamaal Williams himself comes back.  A "knee sprain" can mean a lot of things.  Guys are usually out longer than expected, not shorter.

It just occurred to me how vulnerable LAC's run defense is. Combined with the fact that they have to travel west to east and I have Gallman up there with Jones as one of the better spot start this week.

Here's what RBs have done on the ground vs. them..

Anderson 20/81/0

Charles 10/40/0

Ajayi 28/122/0

Hunt 17/172/1

Blount 16/136/0

Smallwood 10/34/1

Good god.

It just occurred to me how vulnerable LAC's run defense is. Combined with the fact that they have to travel west to east and I have Gallman up there with Jones as one of the better spot start this week.

Here's what RBs have done on the ground vs. them..

Anderson 20/81/0

Charles 10/40/0

Ajayi 28/122/0

Hunt 17/172/1

Blount 16/136/0

Smallwood 10/34/1

Good god.
Just an observation: all those teams have really good run blocking too though. Don't think we can say the same for Giants. 

Users who are viewing this thread