What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Curtis Samuel, BUF (1 Viewer)

I have Samuel in a few dynasty leagues, but expect nothing from him this year.

I am very curious to see how the new offense shapes up... Olsen is getting up there in years, Benjamin literally needs to shape up, Funchess is unproven and McCaffrey is the shiny new toy. There are targets to be had, I think it will take a year to see how the shake out.

For this year, I see Benjamin and Olsen being the top tier in targets with about 120 each

Second tier is Funchess, McCaffrey and Samuel in the 60-80 range each (which is great for a RB, not so much a WR)

Yeah, nobody should expect much from him this season.  Nut you can never know for sure how it will turn out for him. Will probably be on my taxi squad all year

They have certainly invested draft stock into the skill positions the past couple of years to give Newton some weapons. 

@DexterDew you have a point that this year, Samuel shouldn't expect much. He's got amazing talent but likely needs to develop into a full-time NFL wide receiver.  Gadget players sometimes have a hard time fitting in. 

I have Samuel in a few dynasty leagues, but expect nothing from him this year.

I am very curious to see how the new offense shapes up... Olsen is getting up there in years, Benjamin literally needs to shape up, Funchess is unproven and McCaffrey is the shiny new toy. There are targets to be had, I think it will take a year to see how the shake out.

For this year, I see Benjamin and Olsen being the top tier in targets with about 120 each

Second tier is Funchess, McCaffrey and Samuel in the 60-80 range each (which is great for a RB, not so much a WR)
Benjamin apparently already shaped up before camp and is looking like a great value at his ADP. Barring injury I expect him to be the unquestioned receiving leader for Car.

I think Funchess is most likely to turn.out to be a nothing-burger and Samuel will be about a year out from providing an ROI.

Benjamin, Olsen, McCaffrey and Stewat (when healthy) look to be the Panthers to own in 2017...and Cam, of course.

Just picked him up in a league where I have C-Mac. I feel like he could emerge as a good fantasy player still. Probably in a lot of WWs

What’s going on with this guy?  Does he need time to develop or is he just not getting opportunities or is it the offense itself?  Do people see him as a Dynasty hold at this point?

He's definitely a hold since you can't get anything meaningful for him, but he'd be low on my hold list.  He's a square peg in a round hole there and they can't even figure out how to get CMc going. 

He's definitely a hold since you can't get anything meaningful for him, but he'd be low on my hold list.  He's a square peg in a round hole there and they can't even figure out how to get CMc going. 
I kind of thought that these two might be used in combined route concepts where the QB could read which one had the favorable coverage. I haven't seen anything like that at yet though.

After watching Cam last night I just don't see him as a good fit for the timing routes and touch passes these guys would benefit from. Give these two guys to Brees or Brady and I think they would do really well.

I kind of thought that these two might be used in combined route concepts where the QB could read which one had the favorable coverage. I haven't seen anything like that at yet though.

After watching Cam last night I just don't see him as a good fit for the timing routes and touch passes these guys would benefit from. Give these two guys to Brees or Brady and I think they would do really well.
Yep I'm a raging Buckeye fan so loved Samuel but he was dead to me after they drafted him.  No faith they will be able to get him the ball the way he needs to.  He's a lot like Tyreek and needs time to develop WR skills and route-running so until then a team needs to be creative getting him the ball.  There won't be enough of those snaps available in CAR.

CBS shows him as the #2 on the depth chart now.  It seems like he is still a work in progress but with Funchess drawing the #1 coverage, and a potential uptick in targets, could we see more from Samuel?

Interesting.  Official depth chart on panthers website has Shepard starting opposite Funchess.  

Interesting.  Official depth chart on panthers website has Shepard starting opposite Funchess.  
He's been the better player so far, and to me Sheperd out wide and Samuel in the slot makes more sense. Maybe with Benjamin gone they are trying a shift to the quicker, younger guys?

Isn't Olsen coming back soon?

Pretty sure he will be the biggest beneficiary of the Benjamin trade.

Benjamin is currently 26 years old. 

One of the knocks on him as a 23 year old rookie was how raw he still was and the lack of college productivity for his age. 

Maybe that is the Panthers' plan, but I'm old enough to remember when the idea was they needed big rangy receivers to give Newton something to target. He did connect with SSmith when he first came in the league, but he also connected with Olsen and then they seemed to go after Benjamin and Funchess purposefully. It's kind of funny hearing Rivera say Benjamin and Funchess are similar, yeah I thought that was the idea. 

Maybe that is the Panthers' plan, but I'm old enough to remember when the idea was they needed big rangy receivers to give Newton something to target. He did connect with SSmith when he first came in the league, but he also connected with Olsen and then they seemed to go after Benjamin and Funchess purposefully. It's kind of funny hearing Rivera say Benjamin and Funchess are similar, yeah I thought that was the idea. 
Your right it was. 

The Panthers were not happy with their red zone production the year before they drafted Benjamin and having bigger targets there I do think has helped them score more TD. Of course Cam still calls his own number a lot down close. I think this is part of what they were trying to do, is give Cam other options than trying to run all the time in goal line situations.

Funchess is a similar player to Benjamin as far as size and was somewhat of a forgotten player at times, like he was the back up to Benjamin. Funchess has played better in recent games and so perhaps they think they didn't want to have both of them and Olsen on the field at the same time. Funchess is younger and improving, while Benjamin may have already reached his maximum potential in their view.

Samuel is a different player with more speed, which is something they wouldn't have if Funchess, Benjamin and Olsen are their main WR. although he has some similar overlapping skill set with McCaffrey. They kind of doubled up with those two picks as well.

Any thoughts on Samuel in the 2nd half of the season? 

High draft pedigree (I’ll call 2nd high), speed to burn. Cam likes to air it out. Funchess is a nice player but wonder how he’ll fare when secondaries are keying on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't watched too much Panther fb this season and, when i have (their overrun of the Pats in wk 4). i saw no real indication of a change in offense they supposedly acquired McCaff & Samuel and now dumped KB to employ. Loved those picks, but has anyone seen new germs of creativity from Shula that i haven't?

Any thoughts on Samuel in the 2nd half of the season? 

High draft pedigree (I’ll call 2nd high), speed to burn. Cam likes to air it out. Funchess is a nice player but wonder how he’ll fare when secondaries are keying on him.
Worth an add in dynasty leagues in my humble opinion, in expert leagues I've followed he's been recently added in most every league.  Ginn type of player, who knows what happens when Olsen returns though, we may be dealing with boom bust weeks but the kid has talent, the speed that's been missing to open up the running game and now the opportunity, so why not he's a worthy stash if you have the room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't watched too much Panther fb this season and, when i have (their overrun of the Pats in wk 4). i saw no real indication of a change in offense they supposedly acquired McCaff & Samuel and now dumped KB to employ. Loved those picks, but has anyone seen new germs of creativity from Shula that i haven't?
No.  The offense is putrid and play calling remains a big part of that.

What is his value?

Anyone likes him?
Can’t see giving up anything of value for him. Short term he’s at best 5th in line for targets. Long term maybe Olsen ages towards a reduced role or retirement in a year or 2 and they let Funchess walk as well but surely they’ll bring in someone better or they’ll expect Ian Thomas to develop into a worthy target making Samuel again 4th at best for targets. Looking like a Tavon Austin lite gadget guy to me.

Was kind of hyped on this guy last year...surprised they grabbed DJ Moore...I think Samuel will do something this year...a year in the system will help, and he has talent and is a great route runner...

He’s looked really good this pre-season, he’d be on a lot of sleeper lists if Moore wasn’t drafted. Bad timing for him

He'd be useful if it wasn't for McCaffery and now we're saying he'd be useful if it wasn't for Moore. So odd

I think there is a real shot that he is the #2 WR on the Panthers this year, and I could even see a scenario where he's the top threat in the receiving game.  I know this sounds like hyperbole and it definitely is, but he has been incredibly impressive in camp and preseason.  He was last year as well and was beginning to break out before his injury.

I am not holding him on a roster now, but don't be surprised if he has a couple big touchdowns early in the season and becomes a hot waiver wire add.

Was kind of hyped on this guy last year...surprised they grabbed DJ Moore...I think Samuel will do something this year...a year in the system will help, and he has talent and is a great route runner...
Cam excels with speed and precise route running.  Having multiple options that fit that mold is important.  Samuel and Moore have the yards after catch and playmaking ability, while Smith brings the straight line speed and Wright has the route running.  All of these guys fit the mold of players that excel with Newton.

Does this make things more appealing for DJ Moore in redraft? I was really excited about him and went after him earlier in the month but now it seems like experts have been saying Moore isn't worth a redraft roster spot. 

Does this make things more appealing for DJ Moore in redraft? I was really excited about him and went after him earlier in the month but now it seems like experts have been saying Moore isn't worth a redraft roster spot. 
depends on league i guess.  i think he is worthless for at least half the season 

Here's the answer to "Who is the most efficient touchdown-maker in the league?" He's also the 13th ranked WR by Pro Football Focus. Really wish he could get on the field more often. He saw 7 targets on just 16 snaps and turned it into 5/52/1 last game. I've held him in two dynasty leagues waiting for the right moment to put him in my lineup. He's worth the risk this weekend for 5-6 and 6-5 teams looking for high upside with nothing to lose. 

More from USA Today here

Here's the answer to "Who is the most efficient touchdown-maker in the league?" He's also the 13th ranked WR by Pro Football Focus. Really wish he could get on the field more often. He saw 7 targets on just 16 snaps and turned it into 5/52/1 last game. I've held him in two dynasty leagues waiting for the right moment to put him in my lineup. He's worth the risk this weekend for 5-6 and 6-5 teams looking for high upside with nothing to lose. 

More from USA Today here
If you can get him in dynasty, he is definitely a stash with upside.

Could someone tell me the differences between DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel?

Does one do things the other one cannot? Do they line up differently, e.g., what's the ratio of outside v slot for each?

Users who are viewing this thread