What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My 10 best NFL play-by-play announcers of all time (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Not to be confused with color guys or analyst, but just play-by-play guys.  

I excluded Keith Jackson because he was more known for college than the NFL.  He would be #1 on a college play-by-play list.

A special honorary recognition to John Facenda, the greatest voice in the history of broadcasting.

#1 - Ray Scott (I loved the way he delivered a game to me. Not only a good voice,  but technically sound as well.  I have great memories of Scott from the early 70s).

#2 - Lindsey Nelson - (Great storyteller, colorful jackets.  I'm biased because he used to do Notre Dame football in the 70s and I was a big ND fan..  Tough choice between Nelson and Scott for the top spot).

#3 - **** Enberg (recognizable voice,  A great play by play announcer.  Probably used the phrase "Oh My" too much)

#4 - Al Michaels (probably the best play-by-play guy technically)

#5 - Curt Gowdy (loved the voice, most recognizable voice in play by play of the 70s.  Made a lot of mistakes late in his career)

#6 - Charlie Jones (great play-by-play guy, you knew who he was by his voice. A staple of the 70s doing AFC games)

#7 - Howard Cosell - (better known for color commentary on MNF, but also did play-by-play for other games.  I loved his delivery annd dramatics.  He had a legendary voice.  He made you feel like there wasn't a better place in the world to be than at that game he was calling.  That was power)

#8 - Marv Albert - (very unusual voice, later off the field stuff hurt his career, but didn't kill it because he was well past his prime anyway)

#9 - Frank Gifford (another technically sound guy, but I liked his delivery as well.  He's not an excitable announcer, but he's best not to be like that)

#10 - Pat Summerall (I think he favored the Cowboys too much)

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one who doesn't particularly care who the announcers are? I generally don't even notice, and I can't recall a single time when the announcers lessened my enjoyment of a game. I see people who get all worked up about Joe Buck or Phil Simms, or who love Tony Romo, and I just don't get it.

Am I the only one who doesn't particularly care who the announcers are? I generally don't even notice, and I can't recall a single time when the announcers lessened my enjoyment of a game. I see people who get all worked up about Joe Buck or Phil Simms, or who love Tony Romo, and I just don't get it.
I disagree personally.  The play-by-play person is very important to the enjoyment of any sporting event for most.  For UK college basketball games I used to turn off the sound on the TV and listen to Cawood Ledford on the radio while I watched the game.

Agree one has never lessened my enjoyment. I do have preferences though. I'll take Al or Tirico (amongst normal football announcers) over anybody for PBP. And I definitely enjoy Romo. He adds much needed youthfulness to the booth amongst all the oldheads.

I'm pretty young so I haven't listened to a lot of these guys mentioned, but I do find it interesting looking at old clips on YouTube how understated the announcers were.  Really a breath of fresh air compared to many of the announcers today, who talk the entire time and declare everything to be the greatest/most important (shakes angry fist).

In my 32-year old life...

1. Al Michaels - consistent great broadcast
  2. **** Enberg - he may not be for everybody, but I loved his voice and cadence.  It always felt like an event when he was on the call.
  3. Pat Summerall - he was slowing down by my childhood, but I really appreciate that deep voice and his Vin Scully-esque ability to keep the call simple and let the moment speak for itself.
  4. Marv Albert - loved his radio work on Westwood One.  Underrated TV work for CBS, in my opinion.
  5. Ian Eagle - great voice, sense of the game and history, doesn't overstate things
  6. Kevin Harlan - love all his work across sports
On the can't stand list: Jim Nantz, Chris Meyers, Charles Davis, Sam Rosen, **** Stockton. Indifferent towards Joe Buck.

I'm pretty young so I haven't listened to a lot of these guys mentioned, but I do find it interesting looking at old clips on YouTube how understated the announcers were.  Really a breath of fresh air compared to many of the announcers today, who talk the entire time and declare everything to be the greatest/most important (shakes angry fist).

In my 32-year old life...

1. Al Michaels - consistent great broadcast
  2. **** Enberg - he may not be for everybody, but I loved his voice and cadence.  It always felt like an event when he was on the call.
  3. Pat Summerall - he was slowing down by my childhood, but I really appreciate that deep voice and his Vin Scully-esque ability to keep the call simple and let the moment speak for itself.
  4. Marv Albert - loved his radio work on Westwood One.  Underrated TV work for CBS, in my opinion.
  5. Ian Eagle - great voice, sense of the game and history, doesn't overstate things
  6. Kevin Harlan - love all his work across sports
On the can't stand list: Jim Nantz, Chris Meyers, Charles Davis, Sam Rosen, **** Stockton. Indifferent towards Joe Buck.
I would have loved to have a drink with Pat Summerall.

I like Nantz a lot. My only problem with Buck is that he sounds so uninterested. I get you're PBP and supposed to be unbiased, but even his "excited" voice feels pretend.

Curt Gowdy was the man ... recall hearing him with Derogatis as a kid, doing all of the big ticket AFC games (which usually meant any mix/match combo of Raiders/Dolphins/Chiefs/Steelers) - it was like listening to the fellas down at the corner saloon - familiar, raw, a bit raunchy, convivial - never made themselves bigger than the event, and never conveyed the hubris of other more "polished" announcers. 

those two blew the doors off of Enberg/Olsen, imo - the former too "excitable", the latter with a personality akin to the sound of paint drying.  meh. 

gimme Sundays with Curt/Al on channel 4 and Summeral/Brookshier (#2 all time behind the aforementioned, for me) on channel 2.

that's broadcast booth nirvana. 

I quit watching any game with Sims. Guy is the worst by a lot. Most of the others were okay. Can’t say there’s anyone who’s good right now.

Howard Cosell warned us about the coming Jockocracy but we did not head his words.
i only caught him as play by play guy once ... preseason game between the Jets and Bengals - Giff was "clipped by the flu bug" (in August?? methinks hungover was the real culprit) so out the booth that warm summer night - anyways, because Howie was doing the pbp, they needed a color analyst to come in - they chose NY Herald scribe Oscar Madison - now, we all know Cosell could be a tad caustic at times, but, man - he lit into Madison right away - admonishing him about Horst Muhlman (Madison adamantly opined in the Herald that soccer style kickers wouldn't last in the NFL), Joe Willie (Madison penned a column earlier that year breaking Namath's retirement, yet he was still the Jets QB) ... it got so thick for Madison that Cosell trolled him into admitting that he (Madison) had a huge bet on the game ... just brutal. 

Cosell's play by play work that night was stellar - but holy #### did he embarras Oscar. 

i only caught him as play by play guy once ... preseason game between the Jets and Bengals - Giff was "clipped by the flu bug" (in August?? methinks hungover was the real culprit) so out the booth that warm summer night - anyways, because Howie was doing the pbp, they needed a color analyst to come in - they chose NY Herald scribe Oscar Madison - now, we all know Cosell could be a tad caustic at times, but, man - he lit into Madison right away - admonishing him about Horst Muhlman (Madison adamantly opined in the Herald that soccer style kickers wouldn't last in the NFL), Joe Willie (Madison penned a column earlier that year breaking Namath's retirement, yet he was still the Jets QB) ... it got so thick for Madison that Cosell trolled him into admitting that he (Madison) had a huge bet on the game ... just brutal. 

Cosell's play by play work that night was stellar - but holy #### did he embarras Oscar. 
Cosell wasn't easy to get along with for sure and his ego was as big as anyone who has ever lived.  The thing that stands out to me most about Cosell is the way in which he could introduce drama to a telecast, making you sit on the edge of your seat.

Think I was five years or so behind you Johnny so my list may reflect that.

1. Al Michaels - no schitck just real good. Very solid technician as you said. And has the flair for the dramatic: “he did what!” freeman catch

2. Sumerhahl- may be a tad high for some but the guy was great and was the NFL voice of football in the 80s for me. Loved him on golf. Worked with him some as a go-fer in the old Doral days so that may color my judgment. 

3. Enberg - he’s my top folksy guy but was definitely very good.

4. Cosell - don’t really recall his NFL play-by-play chops but he was awesome so deserves mention on any list.

5. Jones- another folksy pick; good but not Enberg.

Nantz, Buck, Criqui, Tirico all part of a tight second five.

This.

Even though Musberger only briefly did NFL play-by-play, to this day he is on my Mt. Rushmore of football voices.

Like Keith Jackson, just hearing him (you are looking live!) gave any game a big-game feel whether from the studio or the booth, in the pros or in college.

Even though Musberger only briefly did NFL play-by-play, to this day he is on my Mt. Rushmore of football voices.

Like Keith Jackson, just hearing him (you are looking live!) gave any game a big-game feel whether from the studio or the booth, in the pros or in college.
Oh Nellie!!!!

I was partial to Charlie Jones, Lindsey Nelson, and Ray Scott. I know 95% of the people here are saying, who? Not @BobbyLayne for sure.

Last edited:
Yes you're the only one.

Pat Summerall - he was slowing down by my childhood, but I really appreciate that deep voice and his Vin Scully-esque ability to keep the call simple and let the moment speak for itself.
Speaking of Vin Scully — how was he on NFL games? My memories on him calling football are vague — his last NFL game was the 1981 NFC title game (SF over Dallas, Dwight Clark makes “The Catch”).

Your looking live, set the tone for a great game.

#3 - **** Enberg (recognizable voice, A great play by play announcer. Probably used the phrase "Oh My" too much)

this is the one for me
Enberg and the Madden Summerall combo were my favorites
I wasn’t a big fan of Summerall and Madden, not because of them so much, but I am an AFC guy and at the time that meant NBC. They were on CBS and covered the NFC. Specifically the Dallas Cowboys. It seemed as if they were doing Cowboy games every other week, or more.

#3 - **** Enberg (recognizable voice, A great play by play announcer. Probably used the phrase "Oh My" too much)

this is the one for me
Enberg and the Madden Summerall combo were my favorites
I wasn’t a big fan of Summerall and Madden, not because of them so much, but I am an AFC guy and at the time that meant NBC. They were on CBS and covered the NFC. Specifically the Dallas Cowboys. It seemed as if they were doing Cowboy games every other week, or more.
I agree, being force feed the Cowboys & 49ers during the 4 o'clock games for a stretch of years was rough.

No love for Brent Musberger? Legendary football voice.

Also I know it was college but Keith Jackson a legend too.

My favorite team would have to be the MNF team of

Gifford/Cosell/Dandy Don Meredith

Also **** Enberg and Merlin Olson

Firmly disagree here. As I'm flipping channels, I'll stick around for games that he is calling. Love his schtick.

Keith Jackson did the first MNF game, but he is remembered more for college football. Great voice.

You aren’t alone. I let the actual game be the focal point. Of the things I notice for good or bad during an NFL game, PBP is WAY down the list.

I always get a kick out of people who can’t enjoy a game because so-and-so is in the booth. Radio is another story. Totally different. They can make a game more enjoyable. TV guys? Whatever…

We reach for the mute button when subjected to Buck / Aikman or Collingsworth / Turico. So much unnecessary babble.

Romo's schtick is becoming a little tiresome but he's relatively new. Nantz I don't mind.

Herbstreet is a nice combination with Al Michaels.

Amazon's pre / post game crew win the award for most irritating pre / post game crew. Charissa's only noticeable skill is internet videos.

We reach for the mute button when subjected to Buck / Aikman or Collingsworth / Turico. So much unnecessary babble.

Romo's schtick is becoming a little tiresome but he's relatively new. Nantz I don't mind.

Herbstreet is a nice combination with Al Michaels.

Amazon's pre / post game crew win the award for most irritating pre / post game crew. Charissa's only noticeable skill is internet videos.
My only problem with Romo is his irritating voice.

Going to school outside of Philadelphia, I used to love listening to Merrill Reese announce Eagles game on the local radio whenever I wasn't able to be in front of a TV watching the games. Though I had already been gone from the area for a while at that point, I made sure to go online and listen to him calling the "Philly special" as well as last few minutes of the Eagle's super bowl win the next day. I was not disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread