What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (6 Viewers)

Lessons learned through even passive rooting for sport, I've found, are at once normative and revealing. Nothing crazy about that sentiment.

But to football: It's a wasted year already. Why not the best draft pick? Our personnel is gutted due to Maccagnan. Let's build it back, and build it right. 

Cue Fariq. 
Ya see I'm not ready to say the year is wasted already as butt sore as myself and all of us in Jet Nation are from that colossal collapse last Sunday. As I've mentioned a few times and I'll repeat it, whether or not we have a season depends upon what happens Monday night my friend. We win...we have a season. We lose, we are looking at 0-6 possibly and than yeah, it's a wasted year other than when Sam comes back, he still needs to show improvement and that he's ready to take to the next level which likely would be more realistic next year after Douglass has had a draft and UFA to address needs.

We are still likely going to be picking top 10 no matter what happens Monday and besides our schedule is too "easy" 2nd half for us to do a proper tank anyways seeing we'll win 3-4 games by accident and possibly 6 if Sam starts to take off. Let's see where we stand on Monday is my thoughts for now.

@Maximus*To be honest, I really started following the Jets at age 4 in 1971. Following as I watched or listened to every game. I can't say much about Namath because he was always hurt and from what I remember, threw a lot of INTs.

I did like Todd and even Ryan, but maybe the best passer was O'Brien. It's not a great history of QBs. I loved Vinny the year he took us to the playoffs and God intervened with the wind to curse us once again. That Gastineau penalty in the playoffs was another curse. Now it's mono. Sigh

@Maximus*To be honest, I really started following the Jets at age 4 in 1971. Following as I watched or listened to every game. I can't say much about Namath because he was always hurt and from what I remember, threw a lot of INTs.

I did like Todd and even Ryan, but maybe the best passer was O'Brien. It's not a great history of QBs. I loved Vinny the year he took us to the playoffs and God intervened with the wind to curse us once again. That Gastineau penalty in the playoffs was another curse. Now it's mono. Sigh
Now that would be something if Siemian could be as good a backup for Sam as Pat Ryan was to Ken O'Brien.

Ryan was right on the cusp of being a starter. I'll never forget in '86 when Jets started the year 10-1 and once again thoughts of SB's were dancing in the heads of us in Jet Nation but of course the gods intervened and we started to get blown out in games and O'Brien who was having an all pro year all of a sudden couldn't hit the side of a barn. Jets squeak into the playoffs and in the WC game vs KC at Giants Stadium, Joe Walton throws a curveball and benches O'Brien and puts in Ryan and Ryan played great and we won the game 35-10 something like that.

It was the next week at Cleveland when Gastineau due to a combination of being an egotistical #### and having a brain cramp hit Kosar late on a 3rd and forever play as were up 20-10 with just 4 minutes left and we would have gotten the ball back and would have won. But not to be...Browns came back and beat us and went on to Denver where they ended up losing. Had we won that Brown game, we would have been one step away from playing the Gmen in the Super Bowl which would have been epic. And considering the Mets had just won the WS it really seemed like the moons were aligning. But nope...just another Jet tease.....argggg

Now that would be something if Siemian could be as good a backup for Sam as Pat Ryan was to Ken O'Brien.

Ryan was right on the cusp of being a starter. I'll never forget in '86 when Jets started the year 10-1 and once again thoughts of SB's were dancing in the heads of us in Jet Nation but of course the gods intervened and we started to get blown out in games and O'Brien who was having an all pro year all of a sudden couldn't hit the side of a barn. Jets squeak into the playoffs and in the WC game vs KC at Giants Stadium, Joe Walton throws a curveball and benches O'Brien and puts in Ryan and Ryan played great and we won the game 35-10 something like that.

It was the next week at Cleveland when Gastineau due to a combination of being an egotistical #### and having a brain cramp hit Kosar late on a 3rd and forever play as were up 20-10 with just 4 minutes left and we would have gotten the ball back and would have won. But not to be...Browns came back and beat us and went on to Denver where they ended up losing. Had we won that Brown game, we would have been one step away from playing the Gmen in the Super Bowl which would have been epic. And considering the Mets had just won the WS it really seemed like the moons were aligning. But nope...just another Jet tease.....argggg
Didn't Mark Moseley miss a late regulation or OT FG chipper that game to give the Jets life, only to get another chance and win it for the Browns? Or was that another year? I think Freeman played that game and we were pounding the Browns for a while. It was on NBC, IIRC. There was a dirt infield on the Mistake By The Lake and the Jets dominated early, faded late, just like that year.

Joe Walton. Was he the best franchise coach ever behind Weeb and Parcells?

'98 was heartbreak. We turned the ball over five times that day against Denver, IIRC. We would have pounded whoever came next from the NFC. Then Testaverde ruptured his achilles' heel and we heard the ugly chants of Just-End-The-Season! Ray Lucas was our QB that year.

What could have been. 

I remember Paul Maguire calling the Jets the worst 10-1 team ever and saying they would lose out the season. He was easy to hate anyway being so smug as a color analyst despite being a fat former punter but from then on I hated him even more (despite him being correct).

Monday night will be unwatchable
I had some faith if Mosley was playing but now I’m having a hard time buying a win here. Their secondary can’t contain OBJ and Landry, and I like Siemian as a backup but he’s not going to win a shoot out. Maybe they can get enough of a pass rush to nullify Baker a little but no Williams makes that tougher.

I envy the cats that have the CLE D right now. 
Siemian is competent and he’ll be playing with Bell who will help a guy like him out a lot. Anderson and Crowder aren’t special but they’re both good at what they do. I’m hoping the Jets can move the ball and keep up with the Browns (but that was more when I thought Mosley and Williams would play.)

Dr. Octopus said:
I remember Paul Maguire calling the Jets the worst 10-1 team ever and saying they would lose out the season. He was easy to hate anyway being so smug as a color analyst despite being a fat former punter but from then on I hated him even more (despite him being correct).
I recall that as well Doc. Macquire didn't like the Jets back than. I recall he hated Gastineau and like you said after we got to 10-1, Macguire did predict the Jets wouldn't win another game rest of the year and that rat ******* ended up being right.

In fact as i said earlier, we not only lost but we got blown out in those games. Just went to Wiki to see the scores again and man was it putrid for us:

Lose 45-3 at Miami

Lose 17-3 home vs LA Rams

Lose 24-10 at the Niners

Lose 45-24 at home to Steelers

Lose 52-21 at the Bengals.

Williams and Mosley both out for Monday Night. This is just not good.
Yeah that sux bigtime. I think we'll move the ball vs the Browns as I don't think Siemian will embarrass himself at all and will do a nice job managing the offense.

We can live withought Quinnen at this point in his progression but the loss of Mosely in particular is going to leave skid marks. He really  is an elite player and a difference maker. 

I expect surprisingly a high scoring game. I think we are looking at 27-24 Browns now that this news of Mosely being out is official. Still tho, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we pull off the upset as I don't think the Browns are  there yet as it will take them till midway thru season before they start to truly roll. We'll see but I expect a spirited effort from the boys on Monday....Go Jets!!  

Last edited by a moderator:
I envy the cats that have the CLE D right now. 
That would be me my friend....Got Clev D in my only two $$ leagues I do and have me some Nick Chubb in my auction league and I have OBJ in my other which is a snake.

Good thing as bday present, the fantasy gods allowed my two teams to go off so as to not really need either OBJ or Chubb or the Cle D to go off.

I digress a bit from you as I think the Jets are going to score some points tonight.

OK so a little birdie in the sky told me the Jets are going to shock the world and pull off the upset tonight.

I do admit said birdie seemed a bit wobbly when it told me this.

All kidding aside, this is going to go one of two ways:

Either Jets play out of their minds, Siemian pulls a Sanchez circa 2010 and 2011 and goes into game manager beast mode as Gase surprises by not being too conservative. Bell and Montgomery run all over the Browns and the defense does just enough contain Baker, OBJ and Chubb from totally going off to where Jets eek out a 21-17 nail biter and for one week everything will be OK in Jet Nation.

Or Jets lose 41-3 and listening to Joe Beningno and Evan Roberts epically rant tomorrow at 10 on WFAN will make my biz road trip to Pittsburgh go that much faster....lol

Jalen Ramsey wants out of Jax immediately. 

Just listening to Ian Rapporport announce and talk about it a few minutes ago.

Ian Rapoport✔@RapSheet

Sources: #Jaguars Pro Bowl CB Jalen Ramsey has requested a trade from the team. This stems from his frustration with how he’s being used and from a confrontation with coach Doug Marrone on Sunday. This has been steadily building.

If I'm Joe Douglass, I'm on the horn right this minute with Jags to see what it would take to bring him here. You'd have to think a #1 next year and something else. Just speculating here. I think I'd be inclined to probably do it seeing this is a huge bigtime need for this team. And shutdown CB's don't grow on trees.

I admit to not being a huge fan of his obnoxious ways but I am a big fan of his talent on the football field and he'd be just what the doctor ordered as far a shutdown CB

Jalen Ramsey wants out of Jax immediately. 

Just listening to Ian Rapporport announce and talk about it a few minutes ago.

Ian Rapoport✔@RapSheet

Sources: #Jaguars Pro Bowl CB Jalen Ramsey has requested a trade from the team. This stems from his frustration with how he’s being used and from a confrontation with coach Doug Marrone on Sunday. This has been steadily building.

If I'm Joe Douglass, I'm on the horn right this minute with Jags to see what it would take to bring him here. You'd have to think a #1 next year and something else. Just speculating here. I think I'd be inclined to probably do it seeing this is a huge bigtime need for this team. And shutdown CB's don't grow on trees.

I admit to not being a huge fan of his obnoxious ways but I am a big fan of his talent on the football field and he'd be just what the doctor ordered as far a shutdown CB
Jets can’t afford to trade multiple picks (including a first) and then having to dole out a big contract. Plus the guys a head-case. No thanks.

Cleveland has absolutely no respect for this jets team. They're just jailbreak blitzing whenever they feel like it

This is going like exactly what the talent and injuries told you it would.

They stink and are getting dominated, if not blown out soon. 

Hate to be THAT guy but I think it's fair to speculate that Gase could be in trouble if the rest of this season goes like it looks like it's going.

If darnold comes back after the bye and the rest of the team gets healthy, maybe they can go .500 down the stretch?  I honestly think that's optimistic with Gase at the helm.  

Douglas didn't hire him. Wouldn't shock me to see him pull the plug and bring in his own guy if these next 3 months are emabarassing.

Myles "Flash" Garrett  ⚡️‏Verified account @MylesLGarrett

First of all, I want to wish @TrevorSiemian a speedy recovery. We put our bodies on the line every single snap, and I wouldn’t wish an injury on anyone. Other than that, great team win but we still have a lot of work to do. So much love to all the fans, onto next week

9:19 PM - 16 Sep 2019

Jets might start 0-6.

Actually, they'll likely start 0-6. Might as well acquire picks for Anderson and others. Dangle the piece de resistance in Bell later by the trade deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so a little birdie in the sky told me the Jets are going to shock the world and pull off the upset tonight.

Either Jets play out of their minds, Siemian pulls a Sanchez circa 2010 and 2011 and goes into game manager beast mode as Gase surprises by not being too conservative. Bell and Montgomery run all over the Browns and the defense does just enough contain Baker, OBJ and Chubb from totally going off to where Jets eek out a 21-17 nail biter and for one week everything will be OK in Jet Nation.

Or Jets lose 41-3 and listening to Joe Beningno and Evan Roberts epically rant tomorrow at 10 on WFAN will make my biz road trip to Pittsburgh go that much faster....lol
Neither happened unfortunately.

Jets might start 0-6.

Actually, they'll likely start 0-6. Might as well acquire picks for Anderson and others. Dangle the piece de resistance in Bell later by the trade deadline.
They should trade Leo. We've got plenty of guys on that line that provide the same production. No way that we give him an expensive contract next year.

You're right. They should sell off before the deadline.

T Johnson is such a bust. Benched. Why did we even dress him? Can we fire Maccagnan again?

Lev Bell has played like a beast. If only he had some decent teammates around him.

Holy Ficken hell, we made a fg.

That o-line is a disaster. 2 games in a row that they have been under siege and pushed around.

I thought Falk played better than Simien. I couldn't believe that they didn't try to open up the offense at any point. Gase said it was because the o-line was bad.  ugh

I thought the defense played ok until that OBJ td. We invested all that money in CJ and he couldn't play. Johnson is getting $17m and was benched.

I guess they will sign that bum Davis to back up Falk against our friends, the Patriots. Should be fun. Can't wait!

Scenario #1 reminded me of that horrible movie Welcome to Marwen. The updated version of this movie starts off with the Jets beating Cleveland in the manner you described. Then the camera pans back to find a long-time Jets fan suffering from losing PTSD and playing with football player dolls. He was escaping reality in this fantasy scenario only to hide behind the couch as the real Jets offense sputters and the team loses again in a nationally televised game. Roll credits.

Man, I was foul up in here last night about Bracie and others from CLE. My apologies to everybody. That's rare for me in the SP and FFA, and won't happen again. That's my PSF persona, don'cha know?

Anyway, carry on and apologies to all around. 

Scenario #1 reminded me of that horrible movie Welcome to Marwen. The updated version of this movie starts off with the Jets beating Cleveland in the manner you described. Then the camera pans back to find a long-time Jets fan suffering from losing PTSD and playing with football player dolls. He was escaping reality in this fantasy scenario only to hide behind the couch as the real Jets offense sputters and the team loses again in a nationally televised game. Roll credits.
Oof. LOLZ. I don't even know the movie and the image makes total sense. It's like Orwell and the elephant combined with Aristophanes and the philosophers studying bugs. Too close to the subject, too sensory deprived.

I thought Falk looked pretty good all things considered and I though the team played hard, no doubt this is a bad roster, but the fact that they benched TJohnson, went for it correctly on 4th down and did not punt and started moving the ball later in the game against a pretty good D was encouraging. This is still a 4-12 type season, but its pretty obvious now that this roster needs a major overhaul and is probably 3 years away at best from being a good team.  Same as it ever was....

Been  a while and for good reason - another year another disaster....I understand all teams get injuries but only the Jets does it come in insane ways like friggin mono.....week 2 and the season is officially over as far as playoffs - this is bad in so many ways....it gives a crappy coach in Gase a mulligan...it stunts Sam's growth where he may not be the same all year and lose another year of development (I was jealous watching Josh freaking Allen)....plus I have another 6 games to attend in my season tix!?!?  Come on man!  

As for last pm:

QB: Trevor looked lousy and nervous - Falk actually looked better....QB didnt lose this game...Gase playing overly conservative with him is like watching groundhogs day...its the 3rd stringer...just open up the damn O.  

RB:  Bell is a beast....and not worth being on this train wreck of a team....they may be able to squeeze a late 1st out of someone...I'd be listening....why the heck is Ty Montgomery not involved more?  More bad coaching

WR:  DT - shortest debut ever.......JD's 1st stupid signing.......Crowder on a milk carton until end of game when it was over.....Robby looked ok....this group needs a big talent upgrade

TE:  Loss of Herndon really stings.....will help big time when he is back

OL - putrid, awful, terrible to the point where it may not be a bad thing that Sam was not back there getting crushed.....Shame on Mac and the ownership for allowing this to happen sitting on $100M with a potential franchise QB.....just dumb

DL - At least we know Leo is done - trims $11M off the cap....never makes an impact play.....another MAc bust....Q will do the same thing for cheaper...if/when he returns.....there is no interior rush....without the outside pass rusher there is no pressure.  

LB - Missed Mosely big time - Hewitt and Cashman filled in admirably and look like young pieces.  

DB - Thank you G Will for having the guts to bench a $15M bust.....Id rather have the other lesser talented players out there hustling and trying....need a huge talent upgrade but at least we dont have to endure Tru's half assesed $15M effort......Adams was clearly frustrated and cant blame him....hope this season doesnt beat him down...not sure if that was MAye on OBJs long TD but worst angle I have ever seen.....

Coaching - I giv eG Will a B- - kept Cleve O in check to give them a shot before Gase blew it.....I have seen zero credentials of any offensive chops....same ol same old....I dont want to hear about the OL....he knows how bad they are and he came up with zero schemes to stop the rush....even going so far as to not even block Myles freaking garrett?  unreal....I hope he doesnt get a free pass....if he sucks this bad all year he should go.....I dont care if its the 4th string QB...bad clock mgt...bad play calling...no passion...looked clueless....as he did in miami

Future - OMG - week 3 and its come to me looking at 2020 to try to help......I'd trade everything not nailed down except Sam/Adams.....literally everyone else ala Miami....looking at a top 10 pick...again....they can't trade it for any player out there....they will need to trade down and get more picks/depth...this team is a train wreck and needs a complete overhaul.  Looking at the cap next year - if they cut the entire OL, Tru, let Williams walk/trade, Avery, Q retires.....they could be close to $100M under the cap again and this time do it right....build a real OL....CBs and pass rusher.....the 3 holy grail of positions completely ignored with $100M last yr and a top 5 pick....just so frustrating as they lost a year......

That's on football operations and ownership. They let Maccagnan have the keys to the store when they really should have been having a going out of business sale with a new guy at the helm.

Ah, Woody. 
Wish we could blame Woody.....Chris seems to be as easily duped as his big bro though....keeping MAc and allowing him to ruin the $100M offseason and draft is unforgivable  

"Meet the new boss....same as the old boss"

Wish we could blame Woody.....Chris seems to be as easily duped as his big bro though....keeping MAc and allowing him to ruin the $100M offseason and draft is unforgivable  

"Meet the new boss....same as the old boss"
Still stuck on Woody over here. So goofy.

Users who are viewing this thread