What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (14 Viewers)

I'm curious to see what happens if they start knocking out weeks during the season.  Fantasy football panic will ensue. Hosting sites like Yahoo better be flexible.

I know that fantasy sports takes a backseat during this pandemic. I've got 2 hockey leagues on hold to see if we will continue the regular season or just end the standings as is. I convinced my fantasy baseball league to push back the draft from March. Baseball usually carries me over until football season and I hate playing it once football starts. If baseball starts in July, I don't even want to do it anymore since it will really coincide with football.  I've already backed out of other baseball leagues luckily.

Then there is Daily sports. I have friends texting me about using certain Korean baseball players. GTFO. I don't even want to think about that. I have daily fantasy out of my system now. Not sure that I'll go back. Norman Chad is getting killed for his we need less sports article today. I don't know.  I'm not sure that he's totally wrong. I don't need to play daily fantasy right now and it doesn't feel so bad. It's pretty time consuming.

Anyway, like you say, maybe it's all for naught. Maybe there won't be sports. I still think greed will rule the day.
Yeah, since baseball and hockey passed me by and there was no real way to catch up without massive investments of time, I only have football.  I can't imagine what is going on with hockey and basketball right now in the minds of guys who spent a ton of hours on this stuff. That's just a real bummer, secondary though it is to how much worse this viral outbreak and spread could be. Thanking lucky stars every day, to be sure. 

I agree about daily sports and the like. I'm not sure whether or not my view is colored by not really gambling at all anymore, so there's that sort of cognitive bias I'm bringing to the table. Your choice of words that it's "out of my system now. Not sure that I'll go back" doesn't sound like a jingle for the product. I'd bet you'd win, but the rest of us that aren't using high-level data gathering and appropriation are at a massive disadvantage, it seems, to guys who do this for a living. The casual player is eminently ####ed, both in the dailies and season-long comps like FBGs.

I'll have to check out Norman Chad's article. That interests me for some reason. At first blush, poker guys seem a bit dour, like they're a miserable lot, but as it gets a little deeper you realize they're also probably some of the more interesting guys you'd ever meet. But they have a tendency towards expressions that are pragmatic and cynical, so it seems by either word or by coverage.

Lastly, and I think I know how you meant the phrase colloquially, I don't think it's all for naught. I think there's a greater goal. I hope everybody does the right thing by each other, by the polis, by the individual. If that means not playing, I hope we don't see it as weakness. If it means not giving in to unfounded fear, then play. But right now we don't know which it is. So then, we wait.

Yeah, since baseball and hockey passed me by and there was no real way to catch up without massive investments of time, I only have football.  I can't imagine what is going on with hockey and basketball right now in the minds of guys who spent a ton of hours on this stuff. That's just a real bummer, secondary though it is to how much worse this viral outbreak and spread could be. Thanking lucky stars every day, to be sure. 

I agree about daily sports and the like. I'm not sure whether or not my view is colored by not really gambling at all anymore, so there's that sort of cognitive bias I'm bringing to the table. Your choice of words that it's "out of my system now. Not sure that I'll go back" doesn't sound like a jingle for the product. I'd bet you'd win, but the rest of us that aren't using high-level data gathering and appropriation are at a massive disadvantage, it seems, to guys who do this for a living. The casual player is eminently ####ed, both in the dailies and season-long comps like FBGs.

I'll have to check out Norman Chad's article. That interests me for some reason. At first blush, poker guys seem a bit dour, like they're a miserable lot, but as it gets a little deeper you realize they're also probably some of the more interesting guys you'd ever meet. But they have a tendency towards expressions that are pragmatic and cynical, so it seems by either word or by coverage.

Lastly, and I think I know how you meant the phrase colloquially, I don't think it's all for naught. I think there's a greater goal. I hope everybody does the right thing by each other, by the polis, by the individual. If that means not playing, I hope we don't see it as weakness. If it means not giving in to unfounded fear, then play. But right now we don't know which it is. So then, we wait.

I don't think that too many people are griping or worried about their hockey/basketball fantasy seasons. If the regular season is over, you played 85% instead of 100% of the season. In one hockey league, I was neck and neck with this team when on the last day of the hockey season, one guy jumped up over me into second place by a half point because he had a goalie going and the Rangers coach decided to rest his goalie for some reason.  If the season had continued I'm pretty sure I would have held on to second and had a pretty good chance at repeating the championship.  In another league where you get daily points and have transaction limits, I always make my moves late in the season because I focus on football. I was way back by 200 or more points and closed within 15 points by the last night before the season was cancelled. I had way more moves left and would have won. What can you do? It is what it is.

With Daily fantasy, it was more about the time invested to play and then follow. For football, I would make my lineups and never really followed it because I'm in so many regular season leagues. Without hockey and baseball now, instead of making lineups, I'm spending more time working out, listening to music, hanging with the gf,  catching up with friends, etc. It was never about making money for me. It was more about entertainment, but with a good amount of time investment. I don't really miss that part. I think Norman Chad's point was that we can focus on some of these other things instead of just getting distracted by sports with most of your time. Or maybe that's just my take.

I don't disagree with your stance on the health aspect of not playing. I think (I'm tired and it feels like days ago since I wrote it) my for naught comment was more about discussing the schedule and predictions because there might not be a season after all.

I don't disagree with your stance on the health aspect of not playing. I think (I'm tired and it feels like days ago since I wrote it) my for naught comment was more about discussing the schedule and predictions because there might not be a season after all.
I see what you're saying about Daily sports, and I knew what you were getting at in the quoted material. I probably shouldn't have commented that it could be read differently than it was intended. You conveyed that pretty well. 

Sleep well, bud. 

Someone needs to put Manish out to pasture.

The non-stop attacks on Gase are bad enough (Jets signed Gore because Gase hates Bell), but now he is reporting that the Jets believe they will sign Logan Ryan to a one-year deal. Lol. Jets believe.  What the hell. Then everyone runs with it. Even Schefter retweeted it, but then deleted it.

Journalism today is certainly different.

The other day in Cimini's Sunday Jets column, he says I think the Jets would be interested in Flacco. Then everyone runs with "the Jets are interested in Flacco" including our very own FBGs news email. The Jets want Flacco was everywhere.  Lol.  Holy hell things have changed. I miss the days of beat reporters reporting news. Now it's gossip and opinion pieces.  Everyone rushes to a scoop. Even if not based on sources or facts, they can just delete it later.

Not that different than Manish's early articles that Gase was a great hire. Then he feels butt-hurt that no one told him that Maccagnan was getting fired and all of a sudden it's attack Gase with every article with his infamous anonymous sources. The same sources that give him no scoops during draft and FA. Now he reports things as a source tells him they believe a player will sign with them. Lol, how convenient. Scoop if he signs. Easy to dodge if wrong.

Enough ranting during my Covid-shutdown time.

I'm trying to figure out how Manish still has a job after being caught with the fake Gase burner.

I DO believe that Gase is making some decisions (consciously or subconsciously) based solely on his opinion of Bell.  He didn't want him and everyone knows it.  There's simply no other explanation for the way he was used last year.  If that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
TLEF316 said:
If that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it.
No, it makes you fine at inference that a coach that lacks the diplomatic skills to say he's open to the player and using him in every way possible comes out and says he didn't want him. That's pretty drastic given today's coaches and what they're usually willing to say in the media. That wasn't even a veiled shot; Gase said he wouldn't have signed him when to say so only risked alienating the player and undermining the team cohesiveness.

Bad look for the coach, and Bell's lack of work catching the ball out of the backfield reflected it. Ears were pinned back on Sam all year. A screen or three surely would have helped. 

Jets sign Flacco. I think he stinks, but looks like Joe Montana compared to Fales. Good cheap upgrade.
Great signing in my eyes. The Jets may as well have forfeited the games Darnold missed last season, they were so uncompetitive. Flacco is obviously nothing special, but he's a veteran who at least can do some things, which is much more than what they trotted out a year ago.  For only 1.5 million, its a nice deal. 

That's a fine backup signing. Maybe Flacco can *giggle* mentor *giggle* Darnold. I remember Flacco's response to bringing in Drew Lock so well.

To be fair, John Harbaugh has credited Flacco for helping in Lamar Jackson's development. 
That's cool. I just remembered his presser when they drafted Lock or something like that. He was like, "no, that's not my job," or something really PR-unsavvy like that. 

That's cool. I just remembered his presser when they drafted Lock or something like that. He was like, "no, that's not my job," or something really PR-unsavvy like that. 
I remember that too. I wonder if it just came down to him having a lot more loyalty/respect for Harbaugh/Baltimore, or perhaps he figured if he played ball with the Ravens he'd still be a starter the next year, where if he didn't pan out in Denver, his career as a starter was over.

Flacco is probably the best QB they could have signed as a viable QB, who also poses no threat to Darnold. Like, the Jets couldn't have signed Cam Newton, because if Darnold/or the team in general, started slow, the calls would be there to put Newton in, if they weren't even going into the season.

I remember that too. I wonder if it just came down to him having a lot more loyalty/respect for Harbaugh/Baltimore, or perhaps he figured if he played ball with the Ravens he'd still be a starter the next year, where if he didn't pan out in Denver, his career as a starter was over.

Flacco is probably the best QB they could have signed as a viable QB, who also poses no threat to Darnold. Like, the Jets couldn't have signed Cam Newton, because if Darnold/or the team in general, started slow, the calls would be there to put Newton in, if they weren't even going into the season.
I agree that Flacco is a good signing, all things considered. They didn't have a viable quarterback last year when Darnold was out. As you point out, they weren't even competitive out there on a professional football field.

Agreed.  He's obviously not the player he was 5-6 years ago (and he was never a great player to begin with). But he was a league average starter, has big time experience and he's not all that old yet. And yeah, he's no threat to Sam (although honestly.....if we're even thinking about someone being a threat to Sam,  we should probably be replacing Sam) so there won't be any media bull####.

Cheap price. Great signing in my book. Last September was BRUTAL and this should eliminate the chance of that happening again.

Darnold doesn't need to be mentored.  Darnold needs to step up and be a franchise QB.  It's time to quit coddling him and take off the training wheels and put on his big boy pants and get thrown out of the nest and spread his wings, and ....

Darnold doesn't need to be mentored.  Darnold needs to step up and be a franchise QB.  It's time to quit coddling him and take off the training wheels and put on his big boy pants and get thrown out of the nest and spread his wings, and ....
I don't think anyone was really saying the opposite. He sure needs to be the franchise this year or next, because he's off of his rookie deal soon enough. Amaze fun fact, though: He turns 23 on June 5th. Guy is still a baby, relatively speaking, to other QBs in the league. He's still got youth on his side and a ton of talent. Let's see if it translates.

I doubt any other QB would have come into his situation and prospered.  Every team that drafted a "franchise QB to be" loaded up the team with offensive players. We kept drafting fat defensive linemen and no o-line.   We definitely coddled him with no weapons, bad coaching, and arguably one of the worst o-lines of all time.  Someone tell him to stop getting beat up behind the line and stop catching mono.  Put on those big boy pants already.

Definitely bad optics, but different situation. He knows that he's coming in to be a back-up. In the past, Baltimore drafted the guy that was going to take his job away. Then he signs with Denver thinking that he had the starter's job and they drafted his replacement. It's just a different situation now although who knows, he may still not be the mentoring type.  Like someone else said, we probably don't need a mentor anyway. Just someone not as awful as the crap we rolled out last season.

That's one thing that differentiates someone who writes from someone who does it casually. The attention to every word. I'd breezed over the "coddled" part to make a broader point without thinking about it critically. If roundabout roustabout Robbie Anderson is your premier weapon and you're trotting guys like Demaryius Thomas out there on the playing field as a starter, you've done your franchise guy no favors. 

Definitely bad optics, but different situation. He knows that he's coming in to be a back-up. In the past, Baltimore drafted the guy that was going to take his job away. Then he signs with Denver thinking that he had the starter's job and they drafted his replacement. It's just a different situation now although who knows, he may still not be the mentoring type.  Like someone else said, we probably don't need a mentor anyway. Just someone not as awful as the crap we rolled out last season.
I fully agree, it's just that you wonder how much of a shadow he casts. Not much at this point, I'd imagine. But they need a team guy, too. Remains to be seen if Flacco is that. I do understand why he would be frustrated with the Denver situation, though, so we'll see.

I was also just laughing about his comment, which was sort of not playing the mass media song and dance at all. Gase should love him. 

I fully agree, it's just that you wonder how much of a shadow he casts. Not much at this point, I'd imagine. But they need a team guy, too. Remains to be seen if Flacco is that. I do understand why he would be frustrated with the Denver situation, though, so we'll see.

I was also just laughing about his comment, which was sort of not playing the mass media song and dance at all. Gase should love him. 
I never liked Flacco..at all..ever. These last few years he's been horrific, but last year Gase didn't even try to throw for a first down with Simien, Falk, and Fales. Holy hell, the design of every series was run, run, third and long: run. I think Gase's goal was just to not turn it over and punt.  We just need this bum for a season until Morgan is ready to back-up Darnold.  At least they will let Flacco throw if necessary. Just expect a ball in the dirt in front of the receiver. At least it will go past the line of scrimmage.

I don't think anyone was really saying the opposite. He sure needs to be the franchise this year or next, because he's off of his rookie deal soon enough. Amaze fun fact, though: He turns 23 on June 5th. Guy is still a baby, relatively speaking, to other QBs in the league. He's still got youth on his side and a ton of talent. Let's see if it translates.
Additional fun fact, Darnold is 6 months younger than Joe Burrow.

This is what they say when he's not even the subject of an article...from FantasyPros about Jarvis Landry

"He’s still just 27 years old and is the only player who overcame Adam Gase."

We have a doozy of a head coach, boys. 

Some rare Jets news....

Flacco - solid signing - reminds me of Uncle Josh....Flacco has made peace that he is now a backup/mentor and I think it will be a positive for Sam to be around for development and a nice insurance policy if Sam gets hurt.....

Sam  - agreed that this is the yr.  No more excuses - OL much improved - has some decent weapons....he needs to clearly show hes a franchise QB.  

Adams - I cant blame Jamaal for wanting to be paid and I support JD in holding his ground.  It sets a bad precedent to give monster extensions when they are not necessary.  They still have 3 yrs of control over him - hes not going anywhere unless the Jets decide to deal him which they will not unless its a blockbuster.  New CBA makes it more difficult for players to hold out and in this environment of unemployment no one is going to shed a tear for him having to be underpaid one more yr.  Hes getting bad advice - he should stop the bs - rip it up one more year as a leader and top player in the league and he will get paid.  If he doesnt get his money next year then Jets should just deal him - he may be asking for top NFL player $ rather than safety and no S is worth that.....and dont think Sam's agents arent watching this and ready to pounce after this season if Sam shows upside.....JD has done a great job of closing the crazy money store - he needs to set precedent of being fair and prudent - thats why its important that Adams does get paid next yr....dont want to be known as too stingy.  Gotta take care of your studs if you want to build through the draft.  

This is what they say when he's not even the subject of an article...from FantasyPros about Jarvis Landry

"He’s still just 27 years old and is the only player who overcame Adam Gase."

We have a doozy of a head coach, boys. 
No one here likes Gase, but people crapping on him is also a lazy narrative. I don't want to defend him, but to be fair:

Parker looked very good at times under him, but he couldn't stay healthy and some questioned his heart.

Albert Wilson had great moments, but couldn't stay healthy.

Kenny Stills had productive seasons.

Ajayi did nothing after he was traded.

Gore at age 82 averaged 4.6 under Gase.

Of his 3 seasons under Gase, Tannehill missed one season and was hurt in the other 2. Gase had to use backups.

You can definitely question his usage of Drake, but Flores (whom everyone thinks is a really good coach) didn't do anything with Drake either and gave up on him, too.

NYRAGE said:
No one here likes Gase, but people crapping on him is also a lazy narrative. I don't want to defend him, but to be fair:

Parker looked very good at times under him, but he couldn't stay healthy and some questioned his heart.

Albert Wilson had great moments, but couldn't stay healthy.

Kenny Stills had productive seasons.

Ajayi did nothing after he was traded.

Gore at age 82 averaged 4.6 under Gase.

Of his 3 seasons under Gase, Tannehill missed one season and was hurt in the other 2. Gase had to use backups.

You can definitely question his usage of Drake, but Flores (whom everyone thinks is a really good coach) didn't do anything with Drake either and gave up on him, too.
I am certainly not a Gase fan....but its clear the guy is going to get a chance here.....it annoys me that he gets a mulligan for his 1st season based on Sam's mono so unless the team completely crashes and burns hes going to get at least 2 more seasons.....

I dont think anything you said above is unfair but he also has not done a thing in my opinion to get the HC job and the power that he somehow has....it reminds me of Rich Kotite.  Gase's only real claim to fame is coaching Peyton who really didnt need it.  

Judging only from last yr - and this is just from top of my head.....

I dont like how he completely ignores the defense ala Rex...even with G Will - I want a coach invested in both sides of the ball

Too much offensive control - his OC is a lackey who brings nothing to the table and is basically a figure head.  

Predictable play calling - really bad

Use of Bell was putrid - refusing to get him the ball was just ridiculous

Honestly looked like he gave up many times last yr - no urgency - no drive to win...too many give ups at end of half....not trying to score.  

He needs to open it up this yr and show his stuff or he is out of excuses.....

I am certainly not a Gase fan....but its clear the guy is going to get a chance here.....it annoys me that he gets a mulligan for his 1st season based on Sam's mono so unless the team completely crashes and burns hes going to get at least 2 more seasons.....

I dont think anything you said above is unfair but he also has not done a thing in my opinion to get the HC job and the power that he somehow has....it reminds me of Rich Kotite.  Gase's only real claim to fame is coaching Peyton who really didnt need it.  

Judging only from last yr - and this is just from top of my head.....

I dont like how he completely ignores the defense ala Rex...even with G Will - I want a coach invested in both sides of the ball

Too much offensive control - his OC is a lackey who brings nothing to the table and is basically a figure head.  

Predictable play calling - really bad

Use of Bell was putrid - refusing to get him the ball was just ridiculous

Honestly looked like he gave up many times last yr - no urgency - no drive to win...too many give ups at end of half....not trying to score.  

He needs to open it up this yr and show his stuff or he is out of excuses.....
I don't really disagree with anything you said. I hated the Gase hiring and he frustrated the hell out of me at times.

I think they wanted Rhule and the rest of their decision was made with poor judgement. Some might argue that he overachieved in Miami with all the injuries and lack of talent outside of a few players. I won't make that argument, but let's give Gase credit for 2 things:

1) He realized that Maccagnan was completely inept to the point of potential mental disability and staged a coup. Not to mention that he got JD hired which we all seem to love so far. I mean, he probably changed the fortunes of the team long term just with this move.

2) As you say, there were times when it seemed like his game-planning was quitting (which I mentioned above that maybe he saw that he couldn't get anything done with our back-up QB and lack of talent and just wanted to limit the damage on offense and let the defense keep them in games). HOWEVER, the team did not quit at all during the season once Darnold came back. He went 6-2 in the second half. Plus he punked Dallas and the playoff hopes of Oakland and Pittsburgh.  There is no way a coach like Kotite as you mentioned above could have done something like that.

So while the guy is an oddball to say the least and did some irritating things last year, he also did a couple of really good things. I'm willing to call last season a wash at worst.  Long term he might deserve a statue just for getting rid of Maccagnan. Our true problems lie at the top of the organization with our two clueless brothers running the show.

I don't really disagree with anything you said. I hated the Gase hiring and he frustrated the hell out of me at times.

I think they wanted Rhule and the rest of their decision was made with poor judgement. Some might argue that he overachieved in Miami with all the injuries and lack of talent outside of a few players. I won't make that argument, but let's give Gase credit for 2 things:

1) He realized that Maccagnan was completely inept to the point of potential mental disability and staged a coup. Not to mention that he got JD hired which we all seem to love so far. I mean, he probably changed the fortunes of the team long term just with this move.

2) As you say, there were times when it seemed like his game-planning was quitting (which I mentioned above that maybe he saw that he couldn't get anything done with our back-up QB and lack of talent and just wanted to limit the damage on offense and let the defense keep them in games). HOWEVER, the team did not quit at all during the season once Darnold came back. He went 6-2 in the second half. Plus he punked Dallas and the playoff hopes of Oakland and Pittsburgh.  There is no way a coach like Kotite as you mentioned above could have done something like that.

So while the guy is an oddball to say the least and did some irritating things last year, he also did a couple of really good things. I'm willing to call last season a wash at worst.  Long term he might deserve a statue just for getting rid of Maccagnan. Our true problems lie at the top of the organization with our two clueless brothers running the show.
Very good points - I was very pro Mac firing - I just thought it was idiotic to let the guy spend all that $ and draft at top 3 pick before firing him.....but maybe that is what it took for Gase to convince ownership.  I believe JD will be here for a long time....much longer than Gase - so if that was Gase's contribution then so be it....just like Mac at least landed Sam....

Also agree on the team didnt quit down the stretch - but they were playing a bunch of teams that clearly were quitting or just plain lousy....he gets one yr in my opinion before it is reasonable to call for his job....unless its a disaster hes going to get 3 yrs so may as well root for the guy and hope to be pleasantly surprised!  

One more day until we kick that  T. Johnson garbage to the curb.  Let's see what we do with that extra $11m in cap space.
Do they actually still wait until 6/1 to get the $ - thought they can just designate the player as a post 6/1 cut and get the $

what a terrible signing....

Do they actually still wait until 6/1 to get the $ - thought they can just designate the player as a post 6/1 cut and get the $

what a terrible signing....
Not under the new CBA. You actually have to hold the player on your cap now until June 2nd.

Btw, they should have close to $25m now which leaves about $15m or so after our draft picks get signed. I guess they still want Ryan and carry over the rest.

NYRAGE said:
Not under the new CBA. You actually have to hold the player on your cap now until June 2nd.

Btw, they should have close to $25m now which leaves about $15m or so after our draft picks get signed. I guess they still want Ryan and carry over the rest.
thx for clearing that up

Can you still carry over unused cap to the following year?  If so I think JD keeps a buffer for post training camp cuts and rolls rest over...should be looking at $80M next yr.  

NYRAGE said:

Weird because that’s worse for the player that’s cut and for the team. Why would the new CBA change that?

Weird because that’s worse for the player that’s cut and for the team. Why would the new CBA change that?
They can still be free agents, but they remain on the team's cap until June. I think the new CBA capped it to a max of 2 post-June 1 cuts. No idea why anything was changed.

The guidelines for pre-June 1 and post-June 1 cuts are fairly straightforward, but things become a little more complicated when we take into account that teams are allowed to designate up to two players as post-June 1 cuts even if those players are released before June. This offseason, we’ve seen a handful of players designated as post-June 1 cuts: Trey Burton (Bears), Desmond Trufant (Falcons), Trumaine Johnson (Jets), and Todd Gurley (Rams).

In the case of Johnson, the Jets were initially slated to pay him $11MM in base salary this year. Under typical circumstances, the release would have left Gang Green with a $12MM dead money obligation for 2020. However, through the post-June 1 designation, they will unlock $11MM in cap space starting on Tuesday with just $4MM in dead money this year. In 2021, they’ll be faced with the remaining $8MM charge.

Because the cap charge for the current league year isn’t reduced until June, designating a player as a post-June 1 cut hasn’t been hugely advantageous for teams historically. Typically, by June, just about every notable free agent is off the board. However, this year is a bit of a different story – Jadeveon Clowney, Logan Ryan, Larry Warford, and other notable vets are still on the board.

Free agent opportunities aside, releasing a player in the spring and designating him a post-June 1 cut can be mutually beneficial for a player and his team. It allows the player to hit the market when potential suitors still have cap room and are still looking to add free agents, and it allows the club to spread out the player’s cap charge without having to actually wait until June 1 to release him — waiting until that point could mean paying roster or workout bonuses in the interim. Additionally, even if the team doesn’t need that June cap space for free agency, it can come in handy for signing draft picks.

thx for clearing that up

Can you still carry over unused cap to the following year?  If so I think JD keeps a buffer for post training camp cuts and rolls rest over...should be looking at $80M next yr.  
Yes, there is still a carry-over of unused cap. In fact, I just read that a lot of teams will carry over cap in case the cap has to go down next year if games are cancelled this year.

Yes, there is still a carry-over of unused cap. In fact, I just read that a lot of teams will carry over cap in case the cap has to go down next year if games are cancelled this year.
just saw the info on cap possibly going down....would be good to have flexibility then....didnt account for the $8M next yr on Tru....between him and Quincy thats $25M in 2020 and 2021 wasted cap room for 2 players that wont play this yr or next....could Mac have been any worse!  

just saw the info on cap possibly going down....would be good to have flexibility then....didnt account for the $8M next yr on Tru....between him and Quincy thats $25M in 2020 and 2021 wasted cap room for 2 players that wont play this yr or next....could Mac have been any worse!  
Probably given more time. He was probably the worst of all of our GMs and that is some tall order.

Those contracts were awful, but at least I can kind of understand the Johnson deal. I'll never understand that Enunwa deal. Overpaid. Guaranteed. Inexcusable.

Probably given more time. He was probably the worst of all of our GMs and that is some tall order.

Those contracts were awful, but at least I can kind of understand the Johnson deal. I'll never understand that Enunwa deal. Overpaid. Guaranteed. Inexcusable.
Agreed - at least Tru was regarded as the top CB on the mkt....tough to project someone quitting after being paid.....as for Enunwa...he didnt prove anything but potential....there were no other bidders....and he already was shown to be injury prone...the $ was bad....the guarantees were awful.

So now Adams is demanding a trade.....with 2 years left on his deal and the potential for a franchise tag.

Just do it.  He's a safety on a team that has won 16 games since he's been there. Incredible player, but I'm not tying up huge money in that position 2 years early. Hell, freaking Mahomes doesn't even have his extension yet (same draft class).

Let him go play for Dallas. I couldn't care less at this point.

ESPN’s Rich Cimini reports Jets S Jamal Adams “informed the team he wants to be traded.”

This isn’t the first time Adams has hinted at wanting out of town. And the Jets dangled him ahead of the trade deadline last year, with the Cowboys notably making an offer. Adams wants a new contract. So far, the Jets haven’t been receptive and have also stated they have no intentions of trading Adams. Odds are he won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. The sides have been hot and cold toward each other for months, but the fact of the matter is Adams is the team’s best player.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Jun 18, 2020, 4:55 PM ET

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Jamal Adams would welcome a trade to seven teams, including the Ravens, Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs, Eagles, 49ers, and Seahawks.

Adams reportedly requested a trade from the Jets on Thursday. It’s unclear if the Jets are even willing to meet his demands for one, but the wheels are spinning more than they ever have for Adams getting out of town. Any deal would likely start with a first-round pick going to the Jets. Adams is only 24 and a premier safety who can win at all levels of the defense.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jun 18, 2020, 5:46 PM ET

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports Jamal Adams wants to be paid “among top defensive players.”

His exact number is reportedly “well above $20 million per year.” It’s not secret Adams, currently seeking a trade, is looking to become one of the league’s highest paid safeties upon being dealt, but his desired mark would pit him against the highest grossing EDGE rushers and interior linemen, too. This ongoing saga is expected to last until Jets GM Joe Douglas decidedly pulls the trigger on a long-term deal or trade suitor.
I literally LOL'd when I read this.

Bro, nobody's paying that for the position you play. Harrison Smith's cap number is $10m this year. 

So now Adams is demanding a trade.....with 2 years left on his deal and the potential for a franchise tag.

Just do it.  He's a safety on a team that has won 16 games since he's been there. Incredible player, but I'm not tying up huge money in that position 2 years early. Hell, freaking Mahomes doesn't even have his extension yet (same draft class).

Nothing is ever easy for this team. Adams is a great player, and impacts a game in many ways but as you say the position just doesn't warrant the huge money he is seeking. As the No. 6 player taken in the draft, it's not like he's getting screwed over by his rookie deal either so this "pay me now" stance is a bit uncalled for as well.

I really don't want to keep jettisoning great players away but if Adams is not going to be reasonable the team will have little choice. Let him feel "disrespected" somewhere else.

Yawn.  Let him cry himself a river of tears. The Jets have him locked up for 2 more years on a rookie deal. Even the franchise tag will be cheap enough because safeties are a low value position.

Personally, I think he is overrated. He averages less than 1 INT per year and about 4 sacks per year. I'm not saying that he isn't a good player, but I think he is overrated. I would not tie up big bucks on a freaking strong safety.

He is Mevis all over again except that Mevis was a better player and at a way more valued position. Even when Adams gets his next contract, you just know that narcissist will want a new deal 2 years later.

That's the thing.....he doesn't play a position that is expected to rack up a lot of INT's OR Sacks.  And THAT'S why they're not paying him. Just like when he was drafted....his relative value compared to whey could have had is minuscule.  The guy could have been the love child of Ronnie Lott and Troy Palamalu.....it was STILL going to be the wrong pick if Watson because even a league-average QB (and he's more than that).  I'll never blame them for passing on Mahomes (i hadn't even heard of him) but taking a safety over Watson.......brutally stupid.

The guy plays hard as hell and makes tackles all over the field. His blitzing ability is a valuable weapon in Williams' scheme for sure.  But in today's NFL, if you're not the quarterback, protecting the quarterback or responsible for putting the quarterback on the ground more than 8X a season, you're replaceable.   MAYBE a handful of ELITE offensive play-makers fit that criteria as well, but how many of those guys have won superbowls in the past 10 years?

Gallup and a first?  Done.  Even Gallup and a 2nd should be strongly considered.

Adams is a great player but I’m getting tired of his twitter rants. Yapping all the time over his contract and demanding a trade doesn’t help his trade value. I’m not even sure how much Salary cap I’d want the Jets to commit to a safety. 

Users who are viewing this thread