What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (3 Viewers)

With all due respect, coming in here as a fan of a rival team........the Jets have to ####### fire Adam Gase tonight.  Before he leaves the stadium. 
Same.  Last year the Bills and Jets faced off in Week 1, and I think fans of both franchises felt like the two teams were very evenly matched and heading in the same general trajectory.  Obviously it hasn't gone that way.  I don't follow the Jets enough to have an opinion on their FO, but Gase was a bad hire at the time and he's clearly running this team into the ground.

Gase is not getting fired. I have to be honest I’ll likely be watching RedZone when the Jets are on for the rest of this season. If that makes me less of a fan, sobeit. I just can’t subject myself to watching Gase’s garbage game plans and play calling. I’ll hold out hope for Sam. Admittedly he’s handcuffed by Gase and the talent around him but I just haven’t seen signs of him rising about it. Let’s face it he was outplayed by an UDFA starting his first NFL game on a short week with no preparation. I know Rypien had a first round WR on the field with him but he is a rookie and what else was he throwing to, Tim Patrick? 

There’s just nothing to be excited about here.

Its the worst nightmare. I think at this point, there's a better than 50% chance that Sam is just bad. Maybe he was always that way....maybe the Jets have ruined him. He's not untalented, but I just don't see him processing the field and working his way down his reads at all. It just looks like he's staring down one side of the field the entire time.

But given the situation, its just impossible to REALLY tell. The O-line is still terrible and Gase appears to be drawing up horrible schemes. Still insists on giving ole Man Gore a majority of the carries.

And the penalties last night.....jesus tap dancing Christ. Completely inexcusable.

Only bright sides last night were Crowder (who really is incredibly solid) and Smith. Hope they keep giving him chances, as I think he has something.

The Jets offensive touchdowns this year.....

Week 1- Crowder makes an incredible individual effort on a screen pass. Takes it 69 yards. 2nd TD was complete garbage time when the game was no longer in doubt

Week 2- Again, a late TD in garbage time.

Week 3- Ok....a legit drive in the first quarter

Week 4- A fluky TD run by Darnold, a pick 6

So in 4 games, they have ONE real actual touchdown drive that wasn't either the result of a fluky play or completely useless late in garbage time. This is what we're dealing with.

Well, let's see:

Herndon was bad.

Gore looks his age.

The defense was undisciplined and with the exception of a couple of plays looked really bad and slow.

With the exception of a couple of plays, Darnold looked bad. Nice sack.

Gase's guy Ballage was just awful. He got beat in protection on just about every play. Then he ran out of bounds instead of going for the first down like a clown.

Becton getting hurt again was typical Jets nonsense. Why dress him to back-up if he was hurt? Then to bring him in the game was malfeasance.

The play-calling was awful.

The decision to go for the fg was the least shocking thing ever. Gase coaches scared.

Lamar Jackson looked terrible.

Desir's lack of INT/breaking up that pass where Jeudy took it away from was horrific. He got beat like a rented mule all night, but made two nice INTs.

Why the hell did Williamson play so little?  Ogletree was our worst player against SF, so we brought him back for this game? He is slower than Gore and just terrible.

Henry Anderson, Basham, McClendon, Q : just all dumb penalties.

The interior of our starting o-line is Superbad. Our replacement tackles were bad.

Not a good game for JD's moves this offseason.

Crowder and Smith played well.  Mann made a great tackle on that punt return. Darnold's run was good. Ficken had a good night after blowing that first kick.

We're on track for a perfect season, but we need the other scrub teams to win a game.The win by Denver knocks them behind us.
Giants loom as a big threat.

-QG

After the Mon pm game this looked live two JV teams playing and the Jets were clearly worse.......CJ should be happy fans were not in the stands as they should have been booed out of the building.  

QB - Sam in a nutshell.....an amazing play to suck you back in and then look bad....worse than an UDFA on his 1st start.....give the kid credit for being a gamer when hurt but thats about it.....nothing her to convince me not to draft a QB if they get #1.  

OL - Playing Becton should be a terminable offense.....no reason to risk him in this mess.....JD should not allow it.  Rest of OL is a mess and still feels like a weakness even after all JD did there.  

RB - Can we please end the Gore experiment - its a great story but a complete waste - how does Gase play a 40 yr old Gore and a terrible Ballage over Perine?  Besides Becton the draft looks putrid - Perine is at least healthy - play him!!!!

WR - Crowder is solid - and should be a WR #3 on a team - rest is practice squad fodder

TE - Herndon hype is over - he looks awful and disinterested - was on the bench a lot.....

DL - Q was visible and made some plays - gotta learn to avoid those penalties....

LBs - just not good at all.....

CB. - Desir was gifted those two ints.....toasted rest of game and Bless benched again so not looking good as usual

S - definitely struggling without Adams as predicted - Ashtyn Davis misses another one.....really gotta question that pick.  

Coach - what can we say.....awful gameplan...awful playcalling....zero inspiration....head down into his stupid play sheet....can you imagine Parcells staring at a sheet the entire game and not interacting with players at all.....only thing saving him is the ridiculous stubborn owner....

GM - JD needs to wake up and push Gase out.....its one thing to lose games but he put Sam and Becton in harm's way for no good reason.  I still think the Jets do a.Jets thing and win enough meaningless games to land around 4th-6th pick but at this point the future is very murky.  Not many players to build on.....Sam on last yr of a reasonable contract...this is looking like a 2-3 yr build to even be competitive.  

This is worse than Kotite as at least then you know they had good players and just a terrible coach.....this is bad players and coaches....with no Parcells to save them.....

I bet on Herndon in a few leagues, although I picked him up off the waiver wire or drafted him late so it's a minimal investment.  I think he has talent, but he has no work ethic and even less heart.  Maybe a change in coaching will get him to start trying, but he's running out of time.  Good players should be self-motivated and he really lacks any sense of that.  He's almost as pathetic as Ballage.

Allow me to attempt to be "somewhat positive" in what is the #### show known as the 2020 season here in Jetland. Joe Douglass got a 6 year deal and he knew the cupboard was bare. I recall thinking to myself why not go after and throw money on Jadeveon Clowney, Logan Ryan etc. Thankfully JD didn't seeing this season was destined to end up 5-11 or 6-10 tops anyways, especially considering the daunting schedule.

So JD did the right thing saving money, accumulating draft picks basically bottoming out!. All his signings this year are for most part one year deals. Even guys like Fant can be cut with very little dead money on the cap. We've got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of next year's draft.

We have almost $100 mill in cap space for 2021 so lots of money to spend in FA. We also have thus far 2 more 1st round picks the year after next. I've mentioned this a bunch in here and it deserves repeating. Douglass cut his teeth under very strong mentors with SB titles on their resumes in Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore and Howie Roseman in Philly and it is known that Douglass played a big part behind the scenes of these SB victories with regards to talent evaluation is concerned.

I have complete confidence that Joe knows what he's doing. He brought in 10 O-lineman. I know this is incredibly frustrating but it's not like we aren't used to ####ty football around here. What we are NOT used to is us having a GM with an actual plan.

As hard as it is to watch this team of ours on Sunday's, I'm going to continue to believe in this particular GM and hope that the 40th rebuild of my lifetime is finally the right one and so us knuckleheads need to show patience once again for the zillionth time as well.

I need to take a shower now that I got all this positivity out of my system as I almost feel dirty about it...lol

Allow me to attempt to be "somewhat positive" in what is the #### show known as the 2020 season here in Jetland. Joe Douglass got a 6 year deal and he knew the cupboard was bare. I recall thinking to myself why not go after and throw money on Jadeveon Clowney, Logan Ryan etc. Thankfully JD didn't seeing this season was destined to end up 5-11 or 6-10 tops anyways, especially considering the daunting schedule.

So JD did the right thing saving money, accumulating draft picks basically bottoming out!. All his signings this year are for most part one year deals. Even guys like Fant can be cut with very little dead money on the cap. We've got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of next year's draft.

We have almost $100 mill in cap space for 2021 so lots of money to spend in FA. We also have thus far 2 more 1st round picks the year after next. I've mentioned this a bunch in here and it deserves repeating. Douglass cut his teeth under very strong mentors with SB titles on their resumes in Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore and Howie Roseman in Philly and it is known that Douglass played a big part behind the scenes of these SB victories with regards to talent evaluation is concerned.

I have complete confidence that Joe knows what he's doing. He brought in 10 O-lineman. I know this is incredibly frustrating but it's not like we aren't used to ####ty football around here. What we are NOT used to is us having a GM with an actual plan.

As hard as it is to watch this team of ours on Sunday's, I'm going to continue to believe in this particular GM and hope that the 40th rebuild of my lifetime is finally the right one and so us knuckleheads need to show patience once again for the zillionth time as well.

I need to take a shower now that I got all this positivity out of my system as I almost feel dirty about it...lol
Good points and there is reason for Jets fans to be optimistic for the long term.  Unfortunately, you can't fire the owner and that will always be an impediment.  I think the Jets have better long term outlook than the Giants due to the points you mentioned.  Unlike Douglas, Gettleman hasn't committed to rebuilding and bizarrely tried to win now (like signing Tate), and has given out bad contracts (like Solder).  They're as bad as the Jets now only without the draft picks to help build it back up.  I wouldn't trust Gettleman to use those draft picks wisely even if they did have them, but that's besides the point. 

After the Mon pm game this looked live two JV teams playing and the Jets were clearly worse.......CJ should be happy fans were not in the stands as they should have been booed out of the building.  

QB - Sam in a nutshell.....an amazing play to suck you back in and then look bad....worse than an UDFA on his 1st start.....give the kid credit for being a gamer when hurt but thats about it.....nothing her to convince me not to draft a QB if they get #1.  

OL - Playing Becton should be a terminable offense.....no reason to risk him in this mess.....JD should not allow it.  Rest of OL is a mess and still feels like a weakness even after all JD did there.  

RB - Can we please end the Gore experiment - its a great story but a complete waste - how does Gase play a 40 yr old Gore and a terrible Ballage over Perine?  Besides Becton the draft looks putrid - Perine is at least healthy - play him!!!!

WR - Crowder is solid - and should be a WR #3 on a team - rest is practice squad fodder

TE - Herndon hype is over - he looks awful and disinterested - was on the bench a lot.....

DL - Q was visible and made some plays - gotta learn to avoid those penalties....

LBs - just not good at all.....

CB. - Desir was gifted those two ints.....toasted rest of game and Bless benched again so not looking good as usual

S - definitely struggling without Adams as predicted - Ashtyn Davis misses another one.....really gotta question that pick.  

Coach - what can we say.....awful gameplan...awful playcalling....zero inspiration....head down into his stupid play sheet....can you imagine Parcells staring at a sheet the entire game and not interacting with players at all.....only thing saving him is the ridiculous stubborn owner....

GM - JD needs to wake up and push Gase out.....its one thing to lose games but he put Sam and Becton in harm's way for no good reason.  I still think the Jets do a.Jets thing and win enough meaningless games to land around 4th-6th pick but at this point the future is very murky.  Not many players to build on.....Sam on last yr of a reasonable contract...this is looking like a 2-3 yr build to even be competitive.  

This is worse than Kotite as at least then you know they had good players and just a terrible coach.....this is bad players and coaches....with no Parcells to save them.....
Unfortunately you are correct and I've been saying this as well. Darnold will not reach his true potential here as we are ruining Sam with horrific coaching and just as horrific talent combined with simple incredibly bad luck which is par for the course here in Jetland!

I'll say it again as it also deserves repeating. If we had picked Mahomes a few years ago and put in the same situation as Sam with the same horrible coaching and talent around him, Mahomes might be out of the league making money as co-owner of a car wash....lol. Obviously kidding about that but you get the point.

The issues with the Jets go way way deeper than what new shiny QB we are putting under center.

Good points and there is reason for Jets fans to be optimistic for the long term.  Unfortunately, you can't fire the owner and that will always be an impediment.  I think the Jets have better long term outlook than the Giants due to the points you mentioned.  Unlike Douglas, Gettleman hasn't committed to rebuilding and bizarrely tried to win now (like signing Tate), and has given out bad contracts (like Solder).  They're as bad as the Jets now only without the draft picks to help build it back up.  I wouldn't trust Gettleman to use those draft picks wisely even if they did have them, but that's besides the point. 
Your right. Funny or sad depends on how you want to look at it. I haven't done the research tho maybe later when I have time I'll do it but this year's combined records of the Jets and Giants almost assuradly will be the worst in the two teams history's.

I mean even for example when the Jets went 1-15 under Kottite in that infamous 1996 season,  the Giants still went 6-10 for a combined 7-25.

This year tho, I seriously can't see the Jets winning more than 2 games. So let's give them 2-14. The Giants looking at their schedule, I can see them at 4-12 tops. So we are looking at 6-26 at best and likely worse. Simply amazing how pathetic both teams are currently.

The only problem with this is that unless JD already thinks Sam is poop, the most important focus of this season was to evaluate Darnold. We're the only team in the NFL that drafts a QB high only to not surround him with weapons.  Yes, JD drafted Becton (a home run) and Mims, but the next few picks were spent on a Safety, Edge Rusher, and back-up QB. We all know how Maccant ignored offense under his watch. Makes no sense.

So, we go into next season not knowing if Darnold will be our long-term QB or if we need to start over....unless JD already had his mind made up.

The only problem with this is that unless JD already thinks Sam is poop, the most important focus of this season was to evaluate Darnold. We're the only team in the NFL that drafts a QB high only to not surround him with weapons.  Yes, JD drafted Becton (a home run) and Mims, but the next few picks were spent on a Safety, Edge Rusher, and back-up QB. We all know how Maccant ignored offense under his watch. Makes no sense.

So, we go into next season not knowing if Darnold will be our long-term QB or if we need to start over....unless JD already had his mind made up.
BTW I don't know for sure nor does any of us know how JD thinks about Sam. Gun to my head seeing he didn't draft him and he'll have to pay him 20 mill in a year as Sam will get that in a new contract deservedly or not, I'd think JD would likely take Lawrence. The issue is and it needs to be said, I firmly believe that there is the very real chance as in 50/50 that even if we got the #1 overall, Lawrence might be so spooked at what the Jets did to Darnold and even Sanchez, that he might just either stay in school ala Peyton Manning back in 1997 when Jets had #1 overall or he might come out and tell Jets if they draft him ala Eli Manning back in 2004 when he told San Diego that he'd hold out. This would be the worst scenario if it forced the Jets to deal the pick as it likely would  lesson the chances the Jets could get a massive overpayment for the pick, seeing Lawrence would be holding all the cards rather than the Jets.

I hate to say it but I truly do believe this scenario is extremely possible as this is the Jets we are talking about!

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I don't know for sure nor does any of us know how JD thinks about Sam. Gun to my head seeing he didn't draft him and he'll have to pay him 20 mill in a year as Sam will get that in a new contract deservedly or not, I'd think JD would likely take Lawrence. The issue is and it needs to be said, I firmly believe that there is the very real chance as in 50/50 that even if we got the #1 overall, Lawrence might be so spooked at what the Jets did to Darnold and even Sanchez, that he might just either stay in school ala Peyton Manning back in 1997 when Jets had #1 overall or he might come out and tell Jets if they draft him ala Eli Manning back in 2004 when he told San Diego that he'd hold out. This would be the worst scenario if it forced the Jets to deal the pick as it likely would  lesson the chances the Jets could get a massive overpayment for the pick, seeing Lawrence would be holding all the cards rather than the Jets.

I hate to say it but I truly do believe this scenario is extremely possible as this is the Jets we are talking about!
That would certainly be a Jet scenario.....but if they fire Gase (and his staff) and hire a more enticing coach....I dont see why Trevor wouldnt want to come here.....With the right coach this will be a solid situation...lots of picks/cap space and a franchise LT.  Plus you rarely see players pull a move to avoid NY besides Peyton who got scared Parcells wouldnt pick him #1....not a problem here.....its still the NY mkt which in attractive to all agents.....

That would certainly be a Jet scenario.....but if they fire Gase (and his staff) and hire a more enticing coach....I dont see why Trevor wouldnt want to come here.....With the right coach this will be a solid situation...lots of picks/cap space and a franchise LT.  Plus you rarely see players pull a move to avoid NY besides Peyton who got scared Parcells wouldnt pick him #1....not a problem here.....its still the NY mkt which in attractive to all agents.....
If he was even a very good, not great QB, he’d be a huge star in New York with his size and golden locks. I don’t thinks it’s even a remote possibility he would choose to stay in school rather than be drafted by the Jets.

Oh and #### Chris Johnson for not firing Gase. Do they let obviously inept employees keep their jobs and Johnson & Johnson?

I play in a league with an “NFL insider” who has worked for teams and in the media. At the draft this year he said the Jets had sought his advice when they had a coaching vacancy. He told them they should hire Mike McCarthy and should not hire Gase. Obviously they didn’t listen.

I play in a league with an “NFL insider” who has worked for teams and in the media. At the draft this year he said the Jets had sought his advice when they had a coaching vacancy. He told them they should hire Mike McCarthy and should not hire Gase. Obviously they didn’t listen.
If McCarthy is 1-3 with a very talented offense, imagine how bad he'd be with the Jets???

So playing Sam after 10 days rest would be reckless but sending him back out after injury in 2d half of meaningless game was not?  Who the heck okd him to go back in that game?

With all due respect, coming in here as a fan of a rival team........the Jets have to ####### fire Adam Gase tonight.  Before he leaves the stadium. 
As a fan of the same rival team, I think that coaching turnover is a huge detriment to an organization and the Jets need to keep Gase to provide stability for Sam Darnold.

ETA: Sorry Jets fans, I wish I could say that I don’t know how you feel. Pretty disheartening as a sports fan.

His offense has been fine.
Has it though?  17 points against the Rams, and then putting up lots of points against maybe the three worst defenses in the league (Seahawks, Falcons, Browns) who were all playing Prevent defense with big leads.

There is pretty much no reason to watch the Jets with Flacco and Frank Gore starting in the backfield - unless you want to watch a true offensive genius (on the opposite sideline).

only worth it if Flacco gets dinged and we can catch a glimpse of Morgan... but yeah it's an unwatchable product right now, Flacco will get some pieces back for whatever that's worth...

There is pretty much no reason to watch the Jets with Flacco and Frank Gore starting in the backfield - unless you want to watch a true offensive genius (on the opposite sideline).
So true - whats there to watch?  Flacco, Bell, Gore and most of the WRs will not be on the team next year......welcome to apathy.  

So true - whats there to watch?  Flacco, Bell, Gore and most of the WRs will not be on the team next year......welcome to apathy.  
Yes. I mean I know even if Sam was playing the games would be bad but at least there's a reason to watch and see Sam (hopefully) develop.

In addition to the guys you listed we're watching Chris Hogan and some guy named Malone run passing routes. Once Mims and Perriman get back then maybe we get a little incentive to not watch RedZone exclusively instead. And other than Maye and Q on defense there's not much hope on that side of the ball either - and lets face it, Q is inching towards "meh" at best, bust at worst territory.

watch Flacco go out and win this one and totally screw us.
absolutely - here comes Fitzpatrick part 2.....I can see it now.....goes on a run....wins 7 games....gets Gase another year....gets a contract extension while Sam sits and implodes the following year.....

You guys saying that the Jets aren't worth watching this week might get spared for this week anyway. Some Jets player tested positive. I wonder if he's been near Gase.

Is it bad that I kind of really want to play crowder in my ppr league? He's gonna get ten plus targets again right?

Slightly off topic but once again Tom Brady shows what an unclassy sore loser ##### he is. Couldn't even shake or fist bump Sir Nick Foles hand last night after last night's Bears win over the Bucs, as once again just like in 2018 in a slightly more important game, good ole awe shucks Nicky showed Tom who is Daddy is once again...heh!

Seeing Brady all pissed off, sacked a ton of times, whining and crying about it, yelling at his teamates like the whiney ##### he is and just looking plain old miserable just never gets old. It unfortunately doesn't happen enough for my liking. Last night will have to do for now as it was glorious to watch!...lol

Slightly off topic but once again Tom Brady shows what an unclassy sore loser ##### he is. Couldn't even shake or fist bump Sir Nick Foles hand last night after last night's Bears win over the Bucs, as once again just like in 2018 in a slightly more important game, good ole awe shucks Nicky showed Tom who is Daddy is once again...heh!

Seeing Brady all pissed off, sacked a ton of times, whining and crying about it, yelling at his teamates like the whiney ##### he is and just looking plain old miserable just never gets old. It unfortunately doesn't happen enough for my liking. Last night will have to do for now as it was glorious to watch!...lol
To be fair. Everyone was getting in trouble (mahomes) for embracing the other team post game last week.

So crybaby Tom was practicing good social distancing.

Seeing Brady all pissed off, sacked a ton of times, whining and crying about it, yelling at his teamates like the whiney ##### he is and just looking plain old miserable just never gets old. 
It would only be better if he was still wearing a Pats' jersey.

To be fair. Everyone was getting in trouble (mahomes) for embracing the other team post game last week.

So crybaby Tom was practicing good social distancing.
I'm sorry but no way to defend his #####y move last night. If he wasn't such a sore f'n loser, he would have at the very very least, gone to middle of field where Foles was and at the very least acknowledged him...said good game or whatever. He didn't even have to touch him.

Instead the whiney ##### ran straight from the bench to the locker room. Sorry bro...total ##### move and no defending it.

Users who are viewing this thread