What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (9 Viewers)

I know him. He is a b-bag even without his acerbic writing style and constant attempts to jab us.

That said, the story on the street is that we are hot for Mayfield. I hope it's a ruse and we go for Rosen.
If we do pick Mayfield, Post headline the next day should read, "Are you not entertained!?!"  :lmao:

That said, the story on the street is that we are hot for Mayfield. I hope it's a ruse and we go for Rosen.

IMO they 100% want Rosen or Darnold......  Nobody had Macc's targets nailed the last 2 years.... 

I think Mayfield is the Smokescreen that also gives them the "He was always our Guy" out....

I still like Lamar Jackson and IMO whoever gets him is going to pay a lot less than the Jets just did for their QB

IMO they 100% want Rosen or Darnold......  Nobody had Macc's targets nailed the last 2 years.... 

I think Mayfield is the Smokescreen that also gives them the "He was always our Guy" out....

I still like Lamar Jackson and IMO whoever gets him is going to pay a lot less than the Jets just did for their QB
I think they end up with Rosen (and agree that's who they want). He's the "safest" play and Mac can't afford another swing and miss at QB.

Getting close - listened to some podcasts and watched highlights on all the top QBs....some thoughts

Darnold - It's so easy/lazy to compare him to other USC QBs - but if going that route he reminds me more of Palmer than Sanchez...he just doesnt have the wow factor and is a little more vanila than the other hyped up prospects - doesnt have the best arm, nor leadership, nor highest ceiling - but he does everything well - I can a team like Cleveland get swept away in the Allen upside and see Darnold slip a bit. I have him ranked as 2d QB but more bust potential than Rosen.  

Rosen - I really like him - aside form some quirks and concussion history I rank him as the best QB in the draft....if he's there I would take him and not look back.  He has the best combo including high floor - if Mac takes best player on the board as is his MO I cant see how he passes on Rosen but.....

Mayfield - the hype is there...has the personality/fire factor that is a huge plus for a team like the Jets looking for a leader.  But also has a big bust potential with his physical limitations.  I'd take him over Allen if Darnold and Rosen are gone by #3 but wouldnt be as stoked...would give the team an identity and could see Mac getting caught up in the hype

Allen - Again just like Darnold it is lazy/easy to shy away from Allen based on Hack.  Both have prototypical QB builds and arms with accuracy issues.  Both had high ceilings but considered projects.  I think Allen is a better overall prospect than Hack but the Jets simply can not go the project route again.  When you drat a similar project QB like Hack 2 yrs ago in the 2d rd and the guy doesnt earn a snap in that time its not just the player but the development process as well.  Now Bates has some hype but he still has Hack on his resume as well as Mac....they simply can not risk another disaster as it will cost them their jobs - you dont get take 2 QBs this high and fail.  So while Allen has huge Big Ben upside he also has Hack disaster downside - I'd pass and go for more of a sure thing higher floor.  

So those are the players - now let's look at the teams 

Browns - I have no idea how the heck they could pass on Darnold/Rosen to take Allen - it would be a ridiculously bold move and Im praying they do it.  If they didnt also have the 4th pick Id pay more attention to the reports on them but since they are also trying to entice a trade up early like the Colts did I think they are lying and trying to make it look like one of the big 3 could slip to 4 to entice a trade up....I think in the end they'l go safe and draft Darnold.  

Giants  - this is the spot that determines the draft - I can see them going so many ways - QB, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson or trade down - I think in a perfect world they would like to trade down with Denver at #5 so they would get Chubb or Nelson and some additional picks but not a ton.  I cant see them trading back as far as Buffalo as the new GM seems enthralled with getting a HOF type talent which falls off after #6 IMO.  I think they are expecting to take Barkley - and dont be shocked if they call the Jets to swap and grabbing an extra mid rder for him - if they love Barley as much as I think they must stay above Cleveland at #4....so why not get an extra mid rder and get the same guy.  I honestly think Eli can put together one more run if surrounded with the right cast - if Brady can produce into his 40s why not 3 more yrs from Eli - that is an eternity for a team and if the Giants saw what Zeke did for Dallas and Barkley is much better.  I think in the end Giants go Barkley.

Jets - If this is how it plays out its going to be a heart racing few minutes before the pick comes in - I'll be cheering for Rosen but I just think there is a real chance Mac goes for the intangibles with Baker.....I know a few didnt like the trade up but I believe the Jets read the tea leaves early and were not fans of another project like Allen.  They rated Darnold, Rosen and Baker all head and shoulders above and knew at #3 they would get one.  I think they believe there is a chance Rosen will be there and Baker was there safety back up with zero though that Darnold would be there....now we saw in the past when Williams/Adams fell to them they were shocked and jumped on it....I think they do the same if Darnold is somehow there - and Baker will be the pick if Rosen goes before - but if Im right in this scenario I think they play it a bit safe and go with Rosen.  Baker has the flash but they just cant risk the physical limitations.  Rosen is a polished QB and no one will question the selection while Baker would create more hype/circus that they are trying to get away from.....however my one concern is that I know for a fact ticket sales are very bad....if Woody was in charge still it would be a no brainer to bring in Baker as he would create the most hype and sell the most tickets.  Chris Johnson seems to be building the team the right way and if there is a choice to be made I think and hope it will be Rosen

As I said earlier Im ok with all the above choice - only Allen would leave me with a bad taste.....getting closer so we'll see!  

Getting close - listened to some podcasts and watched highlights on all the top QBs....some thoughts

Darnold - It's so easy/lazy to compare him to other USC QBs - but if going that route he reminds me more of Palmer than Sanchez...he just doesnt have the wow factor and is a little more vanila than the other hyped up prospects - doesnt have the best arm, nor leadership, nor highest ceiling - but he does everything well - I can a team like Cleveland get swept away in the Allen upside and see Darnold slip a bit. I have him ranked as 2d QB but more bust potential than Rosen.  

Rosen - I really like him - aside form some quirks and concussion history I rank him as the best QB in the draft....if he's there I would take him and not look back.  He has the best combo including high floor - if Mac takes best player on the board as is his MO I cant see how he passes on Rosen but.....

Mayfield - the hype is there...has the personality/fire factor that is a huge plus for a team like the Jets looking for a leader.  But also has a big bust potential with his physical limitations.  I'd take him over Allen if Darnold and Rosen are gone by #3 but wouldnt be as stoked...would give the team an identity and could see Mac getting caught up in the hype

Allen - Again just like Darnold it is lazy/easy to shy away from Allen based on Hack.  Both have prototypical QB builds and arms with accuracy issues.  Both had high ceilings but considered projects.  I think Allen is a better overall prospect than Hack but the Jets simply can not go the project route again.  When you drat a similar project QB like Hack 2 yrs ago in the 2d rd and the guy doesnt earn a snap in that time its not just the player but the development process as well.  Now Bates has some hype but he still has Hack on his resume as well as Mac....they simply can not risk another disaster as it will cost them their jobs - you dont get take 2 QBs this high and fail.  So while Allen has huge Big Ben upside he also has Hack disaster downside - I'd pass and go for more of a sure thing higher floor.  

So those are the players - now let's look at the teams 

Browns - I have no idea how the heck they could pass on Darnold/Rosen to take Allen - it would be a ridiculously bold move and Im praying they do it.  If they didnt also have the 4th pick Id pay more attention to the reports on them but since they are also trying to entice a trade up early like the Colts did I think they are lying and trying to make it look like one of the big 3 could slip to 4 to entice a trade up....I think in the end they'l go safe and draft Darnold.  

Giants  - this is the spot that determines the draft - I can see them going so many ways - QB, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson or trade down - I think in a perfect world they would like to trade down with Denver at #5 so they would get Chubb or Nelson and some additional picks but not a ton.  I cant see them trading back as far as Buffalo as the new GM seems enthralled with getting a HOF type talent which falls off after #6 IMO.  I think they are expecting to take Barkley - and dont be shocked if they call the Jets to swap and grabbing an extra mid rder for him - if they love Barley as much as I think they must stay above Cleveland at #4....so why not get an extra mid rder and get the same guy.  I honestly think Eli can put together one more run if surrounded with the right cast - if Brady can produce into his 40s why not 3 more yrs from Eli - that is an eternity for a team and if the Giants saw what Zeke did for Dallas and Barkley is much better.  I think in the end Giants go Barkley.

Jets - If this is how it plays out its going to be a heart racing few minutes before the pick comes in - I'll be cheering for Rosen but I just think there is a real chance Mac goes for the intangibles with Baker.....I know a few didnt like the trade up but I believe the Jets read the tea leaves early and were not fans of another project like Allen.  They rated Darnold, Rosen and Baker all head and shoulders above and knew at #3 they would get one.  I think they believe there is a chance Rosen will be there and Baker was there safety back up with zero though that Darnold would be there....now we saw in the past when Williams/Adams fell to them they were shocked and jumped on it....I think they do the same if Darnold is somehow there - and Baker will be the pick if Rosen goes before - but if Im right in this scenario I think they play it a bit safe and go with Rosen.  Baker has the flash but they just cant risk the physical limitations.  Rosen is a polished QB and no one will question the selection while Baker would create more hype/circus that they are trying to get away from.....however my one concern is that I know for a fact ticket sales are very bad....if Woody was in charge still it would be a no brainer to bring in Baker as he would create the most hype and sell the most tickets.  Chris Johnson seems to be building the team the right way and if there is a choice to be made I think and hope it will be Rosen

As I said earlier Im ok with all the above choice - only Allen would leave me with a bad taste.....getting closer so we'll see!  
Right or wrong, that's an excellent and well-thought post. It just goes to show you how open for interpretation these first few picks are.

Browns -  I think you're right. It's really risky to draft Allen when the safe play is Darnold. I would imagine that a risk vs reward outlook would favor Darnold.  Allen seems to have a higher ceiling, but how much more? The bust factor would be way higher. I think Allen's ceiling is truly attractive to the top teams, but can Cleveland (or the Jets) really afford to take that risk? I don't think so. I don't think the trade out of this spot either.

Giants -  This is where the draft gets defined. Man, that Giants offense could be great with Barkley, OBJ, Engram, and those secondary WR pieces. That's really nice.  Would they be better off with Chubb and taking a RB in the second round though? That's what I would have to think about. The third option is trading down to 5 if Denver wants up. They could still get Chubb in that scenario plus a lot more picks including a RB in the second round. That's assuming Denver would want to trade up. Option 4 would be Buffalo trading up to Denver's spot and then moving up to #2. That would cost a fortune for Buffalo and depends if Denver wants to move down significantly. Option 5 might be really option 1. Selecting Rosen with their pick and guaranteeing Eli's successor.  I don't think the Giants have to worry about public perception with any of these options.  If they pass on QB, they can say that they still have Eli and added a potential HOF RB or stud pass rusher. They can add a developmental QB in round 2 or 3. 

Jets - I agree with you. Allen would be too risky especially considering the history of the Hack pick if that carries any true relevance. People will be out with pitchforks if they draft Allen. Mayfield would get the love from fans, but how could Rosen not get the same love? I've got to think that Rosen is the pick at 3 if he is there unless somehow Cleveland goes with Allen and both Darnold and Rosen are there. If so, I could see Darnold being the pick over Rosen (and Mayfield).

Browns at 4:. At this point, they get one of Barkley or Chubb unless they decide to trade down and grab someone for the secondary plus the extra picks.

Denver will have the choice of 1 or 2 QBs depending on what the Giants do. The Giants will also impact what happens to Buffalo, Arizona, and Miami. One of those teams will trade up for the 4th QB if he is still available. 

I'm not worried about Denver moving up - I don't think they will draft a QB and I think they'll be happy with Barkley, Chubb or Nelson at 5. While they only gave Keenum a two year deal, I think that's his audition period to see if he's a longer term option. I see Elway as a "win now" type and they will grab an impact player.

At this point. I'm not sure the Giants will move down at all, and my gut says they take Barkley. If the Brown take Allen, maybe the take Darnold.

To @Kiddnets point regarding Rosen vs. Darnold, when I saw the two of them play against one another this year, one guy looked like a top pick (Rosen) and the other looked like an also-ran (Darnold).  It was one game, they lead different teams, I am not a QB guru, etc., but I thought Darnold looked slow out there.  I am very nervous about the concussions with Rosen (especially since our line is a work in progress), but I get the lower ceiling talk regarding Darnold.

Draft hype overload today - Mcshay saying Barkley is flat out going to the Giants if he's there at #2 which makes sense to me for the G-men and help Jets at same time....maybe Jets knew this when they made the deal?  Nah no way Giants would help them lol

If Cleveland does somehow go Allen Jets could be staring at their choice of Darnold/Rosen....if that's the case I can't see them passing on both to take Baker...I think they would be stunned ala /Leonard Williams/Jamal Adams and grab Darnold without looking back....I'd be pretty happy in that scenario.  

Last edited by a moderator:
First three games for the Jets

Week 1: @ Detroit (Monday Night)

Week 2: Miami

Week 3: @ Cleveland

Wow. How did the Jets get the Mon Night opener?? Crappy 2017 record. No great story line I can think of on their own or vs Detroit,
Big revenge game:

In March 2006, McCown signed a two-year contract worth $6 million with the Detroit Lions, believing he would have the chance to start. However, in July, Jon Kitna was named the starter entering training camp and McCown was named the backup. McCown was Kitna's backup for all 16 games in 2006.

Didn't know that and I'll root for McCown to have a great showing. But, seriously, is McCown revenge game of interest to anyone?
( I'm just bitter because  it takes away an opening weekend game, since Jets would always be shown locally. Hopefully we'd get an extra Sunday game instead, but doesn't always seem to work out that way.)

Didn't know that and I'll root for McCown to have a great showing. But, seriously, is McCown revenge game of interest to anyone?
( I'm just bitter because  it takes away an opening weekend game, since Jets would always be shown.)
That was a joke - no one would watch because of that. McCown's played for 10 NFL teams so every week is probably a revenge game for him - in fact the first three weeks are a "revenge game" tour.

You'll get a (likely good) game on Sunday now in place of the Jets so it will work out the same.

The first Monday night usually has at least one stinker as part of the doubleheader. Not sure why though.

A couple of years ago SF beat the Rams 28-0 in a terrible football game. The QBs combined for 300 yards, 1 TD, and 2 INTs.

What I love about playing on MNF is that I can watch all the other games in week 1 without worrying about the Jets. I always bring out 5 tvs and multiple laptops and Ipads. Week 1 is always great for identifying playing time, opportunities, and how the offenses/defenses really look.

its actually a pretty nice schedule - 

winnable games early

late bye week

Miami when it cools down, Bears before it gets too cold

mid season long homestand

Pats game after the bye and to end the season 

a lot depends on how the QBs shake out but I can see them playing meaningful games into December which is all you can ask after the last few debacles.  

its actually a pretty nice schedule - 

winnable games early

late bye week

Miami when it cools down, Bears before it gets too cold

mid season long homestand

Pats game after the bye and to end the season 

a lot depends on how the QBs shake out but I can see them playing meaningful games into December which is all you can ask after the last few debacles.  
It’s the Jets so they could also lose every game but looking at the schedule a 6-4 record or better is not unrealistic at the bye week.

A friend of mine thought it was a brutal first half schedule, but I thought we could be 4-4 or 5-3.  Hell, who expected us to beat Jax and KC last year?

A week from now we will be complaining about the QB we didn't select with our pick. Perhaps some will complain that we traded up to #3. Ha, you know it will happen.

A friend of mine thought it was a brutal first half schedule, but I thought we could be 4-4 or 5-3.  Hell, who expected us to beat Jax and KC last year?

A week from now we will be complaining about the QB we didn't select with our pick. Perhaps some will complain that we traded up to #3. Ha, you know it will happen.
That's odd to me, because the first half if the schedule looks pretty light to me. A good team could easily go 6-2 with that schedule.

That's odd to me, because the first half if the schedule looks pretty light to me. A good team could easily go 6-2 with that schedule.
Problem with looking at the Jets schedule and picking wins over easier teams is those same teams are eyeing up the Jets as easy wins lol,  

Problem with looking at the Jets schedule and picking wins over easier teams is those same teams are eyeing up the Jets as easy wins lol,  
Yes - I'm really only considering the schedule itself. I think "a good team could easily go 6-2 with that schedule." The Jets could easily be 2-6 against it. Right now it's hard to call them a good team. I think they could be depending on QB play, but that's obviously a huge caveat.

Jets head coach Todd Bowles said he would start a rookie quarterback in 2018 if necessary.

"It depends on the progress," Bowles said. "At the end of training camp, if you’re a rookie and you are where we need you to be, you play." Bowles informed Josh McCown he'll be the team's starter back in March, but that was before the Jets traded up to No. 3 with the sole intent of drafting a franchise quarterback. ESPN's Rich Cimini recently reported the Jets have narrowed their choices to Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield and UCLA QB Josh Rosen.
I wish I could believe this.

DRAFT WEEK..... I've been keeping draft notes for years and try to lock up my thoughts pre-draft...

I'm going down to the wire now with Lamar Jackson in the mix for top picks... 

Darnold

Rosen

Jackson

Mayfield

I'll most likely be happy with the New Jets QB - I'll just have this burning question for years if that trade up was necessary. 

Jets GM is desperate - He's going into year 4 with basically the same situation he had in year 1 (Lotta money - No QB and no Pass Rush) - He has accomplished very little in 3 years and MUST get his QB - so I get why he traded up and I pray it works..

Just really feel some team is going to have Jackson fall in their laps and I miss those 2nd round picks - 2nd round usually has so much value - you can build your OL in the 2nd round, usually find WR value and maybe even a PR that falls.

I don't get that more ppl don't love Jackson - I mean, when you watched the games your jaw dropped - Mike Vick says the guy is on another level from him... we know the NFL is better equipped for QB's that can do "More"..... a BETTER Mike Vick>>>>>>>?????????????????????????   Where is the Issue?????

How and why do ppl think Mayfield is less of a Project - Seems to me like Jackson is actually more ready. I'd hate to have to face that talent - His ceiling seems sky high.

Just funny to me to hear every analyst talk about how much these QB's need as far as a System, PLAYS INSTALLED THAT THEY ARE GOOD AT - and good protection and OL.... Meanwhile, we dump QB's after giving them NONE of that and pretend afterwards that we can tell they don't have it after everyone signed off on knowing what they need to succeed??????

At the least I just hope we do the right thing for our New QB and can at least NOT have to point to an all time worst WR core, NO TE and OL penalties and mistakes and really analyze our QB without asterisks or Debates - Do the right thing - set the guy up to succeed and let the chips fall.

JET FANS ALL UNITE!!!!!! HOLD HANDS AND PRAY!!! THIS is the week......

DRAFT WEEK..... I've been keeping draft notes for years and try to lock up my thoughts pre-draft...

I'm going down to the wire now with Lamar Jackson in the mix for top picks... 

Darnold

Rosen

Jackson

Mayfield

I'll most likely be happy with the New Jets QB - I'll just have this burning question for years if that trade up was necessary. 

Jets GM is desperate - He's going into year 4 with basically the same situation he had in year 1 (Lotta money - No QB and no Pass Rush) - He has accomplished very little in 3 years and MUST get his QB - so I get why he traded up and I pray it works..

Just really feel some team is going to have Jackson fall in their laps and I miss those 2nd round picks - 2nd round usually has so much value - you can build your OL in the 2nd round, usually find WR value and maybe even a PR that falls.

I don't get that more ppl don't love Jackson - I mean, when you watched the games your jaw dropped - Mike Vick says the guy is on another level from him... we know the NFL is better equipped for QB's that can do "More"..... a BETTER Mike Vick>>>>>>>?????????????????????????   Where is the Issue?????

How and why do ppl think Mayfield is less of a Project - Seems to me like Jackson is actually more ready. I'd hate to have to face that talent - His ceiling seems sky high.

Just funny to me to hear every analyst talk about how much these QB's need as far as a System, PLAYS INSTALLED THAT THEY ARE GOOD AT - and good protection and OL.... Meanwhile, we dump QB's after giving them NONE of that and pretend afterwards that we can tell they don't have it after everyone signed off on knowing what they need to succeed??????

At the least I just hope we do the right thing for our New QB and can at least NOT have to point to an all time worst WR core, NO TE and OL penalties and mistakes and really analyze our QB without asterisks or Debates - Do the right thing - set the guy up to succeed and let the chips fall.

JET FANS ALL UNITE!!!!!! HOLD HANDS AND PRAY!!! THIS is the week......
good post- my thoughts 

Agree on MAc - he basically is in same position so its time to get  QB....he wont get another chance so thats why I think he trade up to 3 to ensure Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield  - I'd be shocked at Allen but its the Jets so who know.....I hear you on the price but if it lands them a real franchise QB its worth it...as for Jackson those running QBs just scare me.  One injury and it robs them of their best traits - see RGIII....

I wish they would have spent more on the OL/TE this offseason - Id have passed on the RB and some of the other mid level guys for ASJ and another big upgrade at OL.  Learn from the Colts and protect your investment - hoping next yr is big OL time.  

Can't wait for the big day - just when I convince myself its gonna be Baker I start thinking maybe its Rosen....and what if Darnold is there....very exciting times!  

I thought moving into the top 3 was the right thing to do. You don't go all-in for a QB and sit back at 6 and hope one of the top 4 is still there. At 3, you still get a choice of 2 QBs. At six, you may get 1 or perhaps 0.  That would be a disaster and you have to mitigate that risk.

I just think they overpaid imo, but we don't know all the behind the scenes stuff and what was offered by other teams. I just thought 2 seconds should have been enough. I would have loved to have kept a second round pick for this year. We need more offensive weapons for a QB. I won't even mention O-line because I know this GM won't spend a top 60 pick on an oline player.

Lamar Jackson is not your typical QB. GMs don't like taking risks, especially in the top 10.  He might turn out to be a great pick in the teens to some QB needy team. Who knows. Definitely worth the risk in the teens or 20s.

Any of the top 4 QBs will be a big upgrade in talent. I'll take any of them. All of them have warts though.

I'm still hoping for Rosen. He's the best passing QB. I'm not concerned about his attitude or whatever they are saying. His durability is a concern.

I won't cry with Darnold. He has upside and skill, but some major turnover downside.

I might cringe with Mayfield, but I'll pray for the best. You have to be really special to be successful at his height. It's just really hard to see in the pocket. I'm not sold on his maturity and ability to handle the media in NY either.  Seems like he can be very thin-skinned and it's a matter of time before that's a bad mix with the press.

Allen just hasn't had much success and is the riskiest. We would fall in love with his arm and pray a LOT.  NY might be a culture shock for him, too.

So outside of just waiting here for "the pick", I will throw this out there.  If the Jets like two QBs, and both are taken at 1 and 2, is there any chance you see them selecting Barkely/Chubb/Nelson, or trading back down if someone provides them an offer where they can recoup their pick quality from the initial trade up to 3?

Discuss among yourselves...

So outside of just waiting here for "the pick", I will throw this out there.  If the Jets like two QBs, and both are taken at 1 and 2, is there any chance you see them selecting Barkely/Chubb/Nelson, or trading back down if someone provides them an offer where they can recoup their pick quality from the initial trade up to 3?

Discuss among yourselves...
I doubt they take anything other than a QB or trade back from the 3 spot - I think they considered all possibilities at the time of making the trade and were comfortable with each of them.

I think they are set at taking a QB and frankly they HAVE to.

There is a fairly decent chance that all 4 teams in the AFC East come out of this draft with first round rookie QBs. That would be pretty nutty and scary at the same time.

I doubt they take anything other than a QB or trade back from the 3 spot - I think they considered all possibilities at the time of making the trade and were comfortable with each of them.

I think they are set at taking a QB and frankly they HAVE to.
Totally get it, but that is saying (admitting) that they are satisfied with three individuals to be their franchise QB going forward, in this particular draft.  Not saying that isn't the case, but it would be kind of rare.  I don't really see them staying put and selecting a non-QB, but maybe trading back down again.

What I would not be surprised by (nor would any Jet fan for that matter) is that when they hit 3 they select the third QB, and a day later reports come out that they tried to get out of the spot, and couldn't and selected the third QB...now that would be the "Jet way".

Totally get it, but that is saying (admitting) that they are satisfied with three individuals to be their franchise QB going forward, in this particular draft.  Not saying that isn't the case, but it would be kind of rare.  I don't really see them staying put and selecting a non-QB, but maybe trading back down again.

What I would not be surprised by (nor would any Jet fan for that matter) is that when they hit 3 they select the third QB, and a day later reports come out that they tried to get out of the spot, and couldn't and selected the third QB...now that would be the "Jet way".
I don't think they necessarily rate three QBs evenly, but I do think they see at least three QBs as viable options. I don't see that as "admitting" anything embarrassing, because there will be at least four QBs taken in the top 10 picks, which means other teams feel "satisfied" about the same thing. 

I do not think they have any intentions at all of trading out of the 3 spot - what I do know what will happen is that even if two QBs go before their pick, the company line will be the guy they take is the guy they wanted all along.

They've already said that by acquiring the pick.  If they weren't, they would have waited to see how the picks unfolded first.

I wish I could believe this.
Me too....the reality is the rookie would have to make it a no brainer - fan revolt decision for Bowles to not start McCown.....the schedule is pretty good the 1st few games so he cant even make the argument that he doesnt want to put the kid into a tough spot,  This is a guy who continued to play an almost 40 yr old QB over a high draft pick with nothing to play for....zero trust in Bowles on this one.  

The draft merry go round continues - 

Now Darnold may slip and Baker could be #1 with Allen...we've talked about the Allen 1st pick option so let's talk if Baker goes #1 as thats a new wrinkle....

In that event Darnold slips to #2 and Giants probably take him leaving the Jets with a no brainer pick of Rosen in my mind.....although Allen is looming.  

If Giants stick to their mantra and pick HOF potential of Barley - Jets could be staring at Darnold/Rosen - unfathomable weeks ago.....if that happens I'd be happy with either but would lean Darnold....would be doing a happy dance while on the clock....however if they pull the Allen card out in that scenario I may not be reachable for a few days!  

There is no way the Jets consider taking a position other than QB or trading down. Zero percent. I see other Jets fans talking about taking Barkley, Chubb or trading down on other boards and it drives me crazy. 

1)The Jets stopped talking to/scouting top prospects positions other than QB after the trade. They don't make that trade unless there were 3 QBs in their worst scenario that they would take. You just don't pass on QB when you have a glaring need and you're that high in the draft. At least the Giants can say that they can squeeze another 2-3 years from Eli.

2) If they even considered making a trade down, then they would look ridiculous after giving up 3 seconds to move up. If you say, well, they can trade down because 2 of their 3 choices were still available, then how far could they trade down and guarantee that they could still get one of those 2 guys? 1 spot only. 2 spots and they end up in their original scenario of risking not getting a top 3 QB. Plus a trade down would show that the original trade was a mistake. Not to mention that they would be crucified for not getting their choice of QB and would forever be under the spotlight for maybe letting the right QB slip out of their hands. The media would chase McCags out of town with the fans behind them with pitchforks.

@Kiddnets  I'm not believing any of the pre-draft scuttlebutt about Cleveland going for Allen and even Mayfield. I don't think you need to hide. As someone on this board said, I don't that they would take Allen because this management team cannot risk taking chances with Allen.

I've said before that I want Rosen over Mayfield, but the more I see Rosen talk (he's definitely different), the less I can see him co-existing with zombie Bowles. Todd's head would be spinning non-stop.  Even though he's the most ready QB, I'm starting to think the Mayfield talk might be true.

Draft Day is usually my Christmas. By now I would have read a couple of draft magazines and all kinds of draft profiles. For some reason, I'm just not excited. I guess I hate not having a second round pick. We know we're going QB, but then not another pick until the third round. Maybe after the draft, I'll start reading up on TEs, RBs, and other positions.

I was in favor of trading up, but damn I miss having one of our second round picks. We were in excellent position for a very good RB or even center (which I just can't see McCags drafting).

Any thoughts on what we're doing with the rest of our draft?  Do we see what edge rusher is left in the third? Add weapons at RB/TE/WR?

I've said before that I want Rosen over Mayfield, but the more I see Rosen talk (he's definitely different), the less I can see him co-existing with zombie Bowles. Todd's head would be spinning non-stop.  Even though he's the most ready QB, I'm starting to think the Mayfield talk might be true.
I don't agree on the zombie Bowles thing. I think some of his public persona is a bit of an act. I loved Belichick in Cleveland and at the time a lot of people compared him to zombies and said he was clueless and a turd and also that he was disrespectful to Bernie Kosar and stuff like that. I was ecstatic when the Jets hired Belichick. I know Giants fans wanted Tom Coughlin fired in 2007. I remember Etic Mangini was considered a genius at one time. Bowles' Jets tenure is not over yet. I would say to be a little more careful before we bury him.   

Bowles actually talked to the media right after games this past December and told us Hackenberg blows the big one only he didn't say it in those words. His comments were incorrectly interpreted as zombie talk, like he had his brain removed by apes on the Planet of the Apes but I actually heard him say, "Hackenberg is awful right now and I don't care if this gets back to him." I actually was amazed at what I heard because you rarely hear a coach say something like that. I interpreted a lot of other Bowles comments in a similar way. To this point I have liked Bowles in odd-numbered years. 2018 is even. Well, if the team's record sucks, he'll be given the old heave-ho. But, I have looked at his run in totality here and am not displeased. I wrote about this much more extensively on another forum but I'm not particularly well-liked here and most of this board dislikes Bowles, so I'll just leave it be.

As for the draft, I am fine with Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield. Allen is too scary from a playing standpoint. I also do not think his personality fits in New York/New Jersey. I think Denver is better for him. I STILL do not know how I rank Darnold. Rosen, and Mayfield. One guy is better at this, the other is better at that, the other is this...Barring injury or off the field problems or putrid coaching, all three of these guys should be good.  

I don't agree on the zombie Bowles thing. I think some of his public persona is a bit of an act. I loved Belichick in Cleveland and at the time a lot of people compared him to zombies and said he was clueless and a turd and also that he was disrespectful to Bernie Kosar and stuff like that. I was ecstatic when the Jets hired Belichick. I know Giants fans wanted Tom Coughlin fired in 2007. I remember Etic Mangini was considered a genius at one time. Bowles' Jets tenure is not over yet. I would say to be a little more careful before we bury him.   

Bowles actually talked to the media right after games this past December and told us Hackenberg blows the big one only he didn't say it in those words. His comments were incorrectly interpreted as zombie talk, like he had his brain removed by apes on the Planet of the Apes but I actually heard him say, "Hackenberg is awful right now and I don't care if this gets back to him." I actually was amazed at what I heard because you rarely hear a coach say something like that. I interpreted a lot of other Bowles comments in a similar way. To this point I have liked Bowles in odd-numbered years. 2018 is even. Well, if the team's record sucks, he'll be given the old heave-ho. But, I have looked at his run in totality here and am not displeased. I wrote about this much more extensively on another forum but I'm not particularly well-liked here and most of this board dislikes Bowles, so I'll just leave it be.

As for the draft, I am fine with Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield. Allen is too scary from a playing standpoint. I also do not think his personality fits in New York/New Jersey. I think Denver is better for him. I STILL do not know how I rank Darnold. Rosen, and Mayfield. One guy is better at this, the other is better at that, the other is this...Barring injury or off the field problems or putrid coaching, all three of these guys should be good.  
I liked your Planet of the Apes brain-surgery analogy. Very good. Nice old reference to Astronaut Landon (I think).

Aside from one short exchange with Bowles when I had a field pass, all I can comment on is what I see in post-game press conferences and in-game decisions. I'm not impressed, but yes, zombie is hyperbole.   Anyway, that's for another day like when the season starts. Tomorrow is about optimism and hopefully a future franchise QB.

Finally the day.

Just cant shake the thought that its gonna be Mayfield and that its gonna be a disaster. I just cant trust anyone coming out of that league. They dont even try to play defense. Its like they're just out there trying to stall the impending TD long enough  just to make sure their WR's get a big sip ol' of Gatorade.

Who is the best QB to come out of that league in the last 15 years? Bradford?  Dalton? (actually Dalton doesnt even count)

Fariq said:
 but I'm not particularly well-liked here and most of this board dislikes Bowles, so I'll just leave it be.
Fell free to offer dissenting opinions - I don't think that would make you un-liked. Disagreements is pretty par for the course. The only time I had any issue with your posts is when you insist people say things that they did not say.

It's ok to like Bowles. I do not like his ultra-conservative approach - but like you I do not think his demeanor is a big issue and Belichick his the perfect example of it. 

TLEF316 said:
Finally the day.

Just cant shake the thought that its gonna be Mayfield and that its gonna be a disaster. I just cant trust anyone coming out of that league. They dont even try to play defense. Its like they're just out there trying to stall the impending TD long enough  just to make sure their WR's get a big sip ol' of Gatorade.

Who is the best QB to come out of that league in the last 15 years? Bradford?  Dalton? (actually Dalton doesnt even count)
I understand the concerns about the defenses in Conference but he played well and looked good against Ohio State and Georgia two teams that will see multiple defensive players drafted. His accuracy and decision making is superb - and he's athletic enough to evade pass rushers and make plays on the run.

I've never claimed to be a scout - especially when it comes to QBs, but he does not scare me at all and a lot of analysts I respect have been on board with him as well.

I can see them trading down from the 3rd Rd pick for more picks, trying to recoup next years 2nd, or grab an additional late 3rd or 4th....

Let's Go!

Users who are viewing this thread