What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (13 Viewers)

I swear to God if Mac didnt get lucky with these 1st rders falling to him,,,...he is absolutely terrible in the mid rds....Im hoping this guy is the next Snacks but to draft a 25 yr old Div II project is just not worth a 3rd when the team traded away a ton of 2ds....save the projects for late rds....a 3rd should be a borderline starter...plus the OL is terrible and they need to protect their investment....yuck....oh well back to my Darnold crush.  

Reading up on him I feel a little better, but I think they could have traded back or waited. There was some good players that went after him.
He was projected as a second day pick. It's a great story. Had to drop out of school for 2 years in Canada because he couldn't afford school. He saved up for 2 years and went back. he was a LB I think and then was moved to the DL, but had to gain weight. He wowed scouts at the Senior Bowl practices. You should see how he dominated Hernandez, the guy the Giants just drafted in the second. Unfortunately he broke his hand during the practices. He still did the workouts and was off the charts. Great athlete and powerful. Raw, but talented.

Thank God they grabbed a 25 year old Canadian before the Patriots snaked him from them. 

Mac hates drafting o-line.
Come on Doc. It doesn't matter how much of a need it is. Years ago someone claiming to know him (forgot who) said that Mac doesn't believe in spending high picks on o-linemen. He just won't do it no matter how much we want him to. He rather draft o-line projects late if ever.

Love his story (Shepherd), lunch pail guy, hard worker, huge, like what I've read.  D-line was actually a need so he has a chance to start or rotate in day 1.  Let's see if we can strike some gold here with another pick or two today

Daughter is a Junior at Miami, so at least that connection makes me hopeful he will have an impact.

Death, taxes, and Mac not going after o-line help. I laugh when people get mad when we pass up on o-line prospects. He just won't do it.

I love the CB that will replace Skrine.

That little RB is dangerous for third downs and returns. I knew we would get someone like that although I was hoping for Hines.

The TE looks pretty underrated to me. I think he's going to contribute.

We may not have gotten the big names after Darnold, but I like our draft (despite o-line concerns). Mac actually went small school this time. Look for us to sign a bunch of O-line and WR UDFAs.

Mac has made good trades, good signings mostly - but other than have top players fall into his lap in the first round three years in a row his drafting is pretty terrible. Obviously we don’t know how this year turns out yet, but I’m not impressed.

oh well this draft was all about getting the QB, and he did that at least.

Not that I'm justifying it, but what I think they are doing is trying to be competitive through defense and hoping to be ok on offense this year. They weren't awful until McCown got hurt.  Next year they upgrade on the oline (free agency, that fool won't do it by draft) and add a couple of weapons on offense (new stud RB and WR) and hopefully a pass rusher.

They felt that they were bare on the d-line outside of one player, so they addressed that need. Our secondary will be great. We upgraded at CB. We drafted Skrine's replacement for next year. The defense will be missing 2 pieces at LB: Edge rusher and some speed. Then I think they will be set. I don't think they liked any of the edge rushers. From what I saw, they were either small, had injury issues, or flawed.

They added a TE and a third down RB/returner for the offense.  Pryor might be decent. He was hurt last year. We get Leggett and Enunwa back. Maybe Hansen or Stewart takes the step up in year 2 for the slot. They will have a boatload of money to spend next year on the o-line. 

I don't watch enough college to know if this draft will be any good, but I do hope Macc is getting better, this offseason it has shaped up like that so far.  I absolutely love the Sam pick that makes this an A+ draft and it looks they are attacking that D-line hard, the corner looks very interesting and it seems Colts fans were upset on losing that DE for a 7th.  I would have liked to go more O-line, but I guess it was a value draft the whole way, time will tell.  Attack the O_line next offseason with the $100mill in cap room I guess and let's go.

Looks like there are needs all over the offensive line, from tackle to center. Needs at corner back, the CB you guys drafted looks like he could compete at nickel. Need an edge rusher and LB help as Darron Lee does not seem to be playing well. Not a bad draft though, got your QB, some solid receivers and a tight end, a host of running backs that are suitable for this year at least. Like the Shepherd pick.

Looks like there are needs all over the offensive line, from tackle to center. Needs at corner back, the CB you guys drafted looks like he could compete at nickel. Need an edge rusher and LB help as Darron Lee does not seem to be playing well. Not a bad draft though, got your QB, some solid receivers and a tight end, a host of running backs that are suitable for this year at least. Like the Shepherd pick.
The big problem with the o-line last year was the play of the center. It was atrocious and lowered the effectiveness of the rest of the line. They upgraded at center in FA. The entire offensive line is pretty adequate at best. I don't know that any are really bad. None are very good either. Definitely an area to improve going forward and better be addressed in free agency next year because this GM does not value linemen in the draft.

We're actually pretty good at CB. Trumaine Johnson and Claiborne (1 year deal only) are pretty formidable. I'm not a fan of Skrine even if he played his best towards the end of last season. Nickerson replaces him next season. They drafted a couple of guys late last year that slipped because of knee injuries. They're complete unknowns at this point, but they had some talent in college. They still have young and inconsistent Roberts and Burris, plus trade-bust Robinson.

LB is definitely a mess without a proper edge rusher. It's our weakest position imo, more so than o-line.  Lee is pretty inconsistent and frustrating. He will flash a great play and follow it up with a play that he gets lost in the blocking.

WR: Some talent with Anderson (although the guy is a mess off the field and on it sometimes), Enunwa (coming off injury), and Pryor. Hansen and Stewart had less than inspiring rookie years as can by typical of middle-round drafted WRs. Hopefully one of them can step up.

TE is kind of interesting. Leggett has talent, but hurt his knee early, so last year was a total wash of a rookie year. The new kid seems promising. Walford is coming off a disappointing season in Oakland.  Tomlinson was a great blocker, but showed nothing receiving. Sterling only played one game on offense, but had a really good game against NE in the last week of the season. This is way more talent than we've had in 2 decades albeit no one but hopes and dreams at this point.

I swear to God if Mac didnt get lucky with these 1st rders falling to him,,,...he is absolutely terrible in the mid rds....Im hoping this guy is the next Snacks but to draft a 25 yr old Div II project is just not worth a 3rd when the team traded away a ton of 2ds....save the projects for late rds....a 3rd should be a borderline starter...plus the OL is terrible and they need to protect their investment....yuck....oh well back to my Darnold crush.  
That is a really good point...outside of the Adams pick, the other two (Williams/Darnold) were such shoe-in picks, a kid with a magazine could have made those selections.  He needs to tighten that up.  Works OK in the NBA when their are five starters, but in the NFL with 22, better to be overall solid, than have some major hits and nothing else.

That is a really good point...outside of the Adams pick, the other two (Williams/Darnold) were such shoe-in picks, a kid with a magazine could have made those selections.  He needs to tighten that up.  Works OK in the NBA when their are five starters, but in the NFL with 22, better to be overall solid, than have some major hits and nothing else.
Adams was the same - he was considered the best player in that draft by many (but Garret as the most valuable as a pass rusher). Most had him going to Chicago at 3.

The Monday after.

Draft - Well thats a wrap on the 2018 draft....I'm deeming it a success based on the Darnold pick - if he is the real deal then winning meaningless games, trading away 3 second rd picks, even a shaky day 2 and 3 is not a big deal...

Darnold - it's all about the QB at this point and I think they got the best one on the board with big upside...watched his pro day in the rain this weekend and man did I like what I saw. Also rewatched the Rose Bowl game vs Penn St- this kid has the it factor and I will be shocked if he's not at least a top 10 QB for a long time.  Only question is development - love that he is around 2 great pros in MCCown and Teddy..with the OL very shaky (more on that later) I am more than fine keeping him in bubble wrap for a while until the line gels.  I dont want to risk this kids health if the OL looks like swiss cheese....so I can see him week 1 and I can see him in a December cameo....depending on the narrative I would be ok with either. 

3rd rd - DT - Nathan Shepard - I dont want to beat my above point to death but I just don't like how MAc operates in the mid rds - as I said earlier a 3rd rd pick has to be a potential starter with upside.  For some reason he loves to spend 3rd rders on upside projects and I am just not a fan of that.  Go for the projects in the 6th/7th...now Im not saying this kid in the 3rd cant be good - he looks like a beast and I'll be rooting for him - but a 25...thats right 25 yr old project from a Div II school in the 3rd?  It's only fair to give the kid 2-3 yrs to acclimate to the NFL from Div II and now he's 28?  I dont get it.  This is where GMs like to puck these projects to show how smart they are - just pick a solid player with upside...this team cant afford lotto tickets in the 3rd rd.  Especially when the OL is a huge weakness and you just drafted a franchise QB - MUST protect him - did they not see what happened to Luck?  Bad pick in my opinion. 

4th TE - Chris Herndon - Watched some film and he looks the part - good size, decent hands - Im not concerned with the knee issue - it was in November and should be healthy by training camp - if that caused him to drop a few rds then Im ok with the gamble...with all being said I really wish they threw in the extra $1M on ASJ instead of needing to count on an inured rook from last yr and a 4th rd pick but that's the path MAc chose...hope this kid is up for a big role.  

5th - CB - Parry Nickerson - I actually like this pick - good player with speed - good upside and fills a role to hopefully replace Skrine next yr on the cheap.  Would be very nice if this kid can take over the nickel.  

6th - DT Foley Fatukasi - obviously no idea on him - good size so crossing fingers - Mac was obviously concerned about the OL losing Mo and Ealy.  

7th - RB/KR - Ternton Cannon - ok here is where you take your Div II flyer IMO - and taking a flyer on a KR in the 7th is ok by me - it's been forever since they had anyone who could get more than a few measly yards so hope this kid can provide a spark to the return game

trade of 7th rder for Henry Anderson Colts DE - I like this kind of deal - 7th rder is an extreme lotto ticket and this kid was a 3rd rder in 2015 and showed he can play in a 3-4...only reason he was dealt was injury history and Colts switching to a 4-3....read up on him on Indy bds and they are not happy to deal him for so little....can see this kid breaking in to the rotation and decent depth for a lotto pick.

summary - so in all the Darnold pick drives the grade up high - hated the 3rd rd pick but liked the rest of the draft except for the lack of OL....I just dont understand how Mac can ignore such a critical position with a new QB....I think he is counting on spending a ton of the $100M next yr on OL help which is ok by me but I dont want to risk the kid in the meantime.  So at this point Im hoping for a phase in until Darnold plays until OL at least looks decent.  hoping the other picks add depth and maybe compete in some needed spots for next yr - but if a few of these hit...add the big cap signings next season and maybe one more top 15 pick and 2019 season should be the start of a long run....maybe with Coach Bates leading the way lol.  

Last edited by a moderator:
tkrull said:
So do we see Crowell as the starter?
I see a RBBC with Powell and a sprinkling of Maguire until on shows they can carry the load.....for whatever reason they dont seem high on Powell so if I was betting Id say Crowell gets the lion share by yr end with Powell let go after the season .  

I'm not a McCags fan (I'm neutral I guess), but give him credit for being bold and moving up to 3 which allowed us to get Darnold.

Herndon's knee: I'm not worried. It's only an MCL. I played hockey with a torn MCL (and ACL). Since he had surgery, he must have had a grade 3 tear and those don't heal themselves (like grade 1-2) and thus surgery is used to re-attach the tibia (shin) to the femur (thigh). It's an 8 week recovery usually. Nothing to worry about afterwards.

RBs: I don't see much difference from last year. They will mix in all 3-4 RBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets waived QB Bryce Petty.

The Jets were always going to cut a quarterback after drafting Sam Darnold with the No. 3 overall pick, and Petty was always the most likely to go. A fourth-round pick in 2015, Petty started seven games for the Jets over the last two seasons, compiling 1,353 yards and four touchdowns against 10 interceptions. He is extremely unlikely to develop into a viable starter, but he could be scooped up by a quarterback-needy team on waivers.
And Hackenberg lives to fight another day.

And Hackenberg lives to fight another day.
We know that Petty can't play.  Hackenberg probably can't play. Neither will matter if they keep Teddy. I guess they can cut Hack and put him on the PS.  If Teddy physically can't play, well I guess Hack lives to fight another season.

Jets claimed OT Antonio Garcia off waivers from the Patriots.

The 85th overall pick in last year's draft, Garcia missed his entire rookie season with blood clots in his lungs, then was cut by the Pats with a non-football injury designation late last week. Garcia is a worthy flyer as a 24-year-old left tackle prospect, but he'll ultimately be a long shot with the Jets.
I'm not sure what will come of this but since this route is our only shot at adding o-line talent let's hope it pays off. He's young and former third round pick.

I'm not sure what will come of this but since this route is our only shot at adding o-line talent let's hope it pays off. He's young and former third round pick.
I thought this was an interesting move as well. He was fairly highly though of coming out last year and the physical concern didn't come out until after the draft if I remember correctly. Before the medical condition was known I think there were some people that thought he was a 2nd round talent. There certainly is no downside here and it would be a great story if he can overcome blood clots in his lungs.

I remember Jason Pinkston came back from it, but then was forced into retirement due to the same thing. (Mostly I remember because I was thought it was bizarre that Todd Pinkston of all people had a relative that was heavy enough to be an offensive lineman in the NFL).

After listening to Christian Hackenberg speak on Tuesday, Newsday believes he is "tired of the Jets and wants to be elsewhere."

As NFL.com's Dan Hanzus quipped on Twitter, "one imagines the feeling is very much mutual." Hack spent most of his presser talking up his supposedly revamped throwing motion and throwing shade on his past coaching with the Jets. He apparently believes it's their fault he hasn't known how to properly throw a football at the NFL level. It's become a matter of when, not if, Hack is cut. His market will not be hot.

More draft capital wasted on the QB position (Sanchez, Geno, Petty, Hack....).  Fingers crossed on Darnold.

Well at least Teddy looks good.

How about the Christian Hackenberg appreciation thread? My contribution: .....

Anyone have any idea what the plan is with Teddy?

Let's say he looks good and we start him. Is the plan to trade him by the deadline?

If he looks good and then let him play all year, then what? He's on a one-year deal. Franchise and trade him?  It was $23m per year and that's going to go up a couple of million after all these deals. Would he sign as Darnold's back-up going forward? If he looks good,then he will want to start somewhere.

Anyone have any idea what the plan is with Teddy?

Let's say he looks good and we start him. Is the plan to trade him by the deadline?

If he looks good and then let him play all year, then what? He's on a one-year deal. Franchise and trade him?  It was $23m per year and that's going to go up a couple of million after all these deals. Would he sign as Darnold's back-up going forward? If he looks good,then he will want to start somewhere.
I have read that he looks really sharp and is moving well in OTAs - frankly I'm shocked but pleased to hear it.

Trading him at the deadline would be tough to pull off. It's very hard for a QB to drop into an offense mid-season and do well. He'd be way behind on the learning curve, but if a contender loses a QB and he is playing well then it's possible of course.

If he looks really good and the Jets are contending for a playoff spot you need to keep riding him and then make a plan during the offseason. It's a good problem to have, as they say. He'd have to really return to form to be a target in a sign and trade but that would be a possibility. There's always the outside chance of bringing him back one year on the franchise tag and keeping Darnold as a backup - of course that would be a tough sell to sit the #3 overall pick for a second straight season - it would surely bring out Hackenberg concerns. These thongs have a way of working themselves out so I guess its a bridge that can wait to be crossed.

I have read that he looks really sharp and is moving well in OTAs - frankly I'm shocked but pleased to hear it.

Trading him at the deadline would be tough to pull off. It's very hard for a QB to drop into an offense mid-season and do well. He'd be way behind on the learning curve, but if a contender loses a QB and he is playing well then it's possible of course.

If he looks really good and the Jets are contending for a playoff spot you need to keep riding him and then make a plan during the offseason. It's a good problem to have, as they say. He'd have to really return to form to be a target in a sign and trade but that would be a possibility. There's always the outside chance of bringing him back one year on the franchise tag and keeping Darnold as a backup - of course that would be a tough sell to sit the #3 overall pick for a second straight season - it would surely bring out Hackenberg concerns. These thongs have a way of working themselves out so I guess its a bridge that can wait to be crossed.
Agreed on the current year. You're right, he would be hard to trade mid-season.

I'm just wondering that their thinking was beyond this year if they knew they were drafting a QB.

These "thongs"? Where is your mind this weekend? Ha.

Christopher Johnson is walking the walk supporting players' social justice activities. Players Coalition sent a letter to Gov Cuomo today on the comprehensive bail reform and he signed it along with three Jets (current/former) players. (Beachum, McCown, Davis)

Christopher Johnson is walking the walk supporting players' social justice activities. Players Coalition sent a letter to Gov Cuomo today on the comprehensive bail reform and he signed it along with three Jets (current/former) players. (Beachum, McCown, Davis)
He is really branding the team as a player-friendly organization.  If they can get the coaching up-to-snuff, they may become a destination team for FAs.

Mystery Achiever said:
Raiders waived Hackenberg. They get to keep the conditional 7th round pick.
Tony Pauline (Draft Analyst) had a blurb back in January that the Jets might make a trade with a team that owed them a favor rather than cut Hackenburg. The team acquiring Hack would then likely cut him in a few weeks. That's exactly what happened. It was in Tony's January Draft Buzz, but he's got several articles. This guy on Twitter referenced Tony's rumor. That was easier to find.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1006639889260187656

Great to hear the Darnold praise in camp so far. It's early, but the glowing reports are a lot better than hearing how Hackenberg was hitting reporters on the sideline from lack of accuracy. I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm because things don't usually work out for us, but it might be finally happening!

Interesting...and spineless. Though when it takes the new team nly othree weeks to realize there's nothing there, I don't know that it makes the draft pick less embarrassing.

Interesting...and spineless. Though when it takes the new team nly othree weeks to realize there's nothing there, I don't know that it makes the draft pick less embarrassing.
I don’t know. It’s not like getting a conditional 7th Round picks helped them save face or anything.

Unless that team already knows that there is nothing there and just did it as a favor so that the Jets didn't have to officially cut him. Anyway, I agree. It doesn't nullify that it was a bad pick. The only thing I can possibly think of is that it spares the Jets any potential flack about cutting him without giving him a chance. This way they can say, well another team find any potential for keeping him, so we were right to cut him loose. The whole thing was weak. Admit your mistake and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread