What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (2 Viewers)

I can't wait for Friday. Drafting Darnold was a game-changer. It sounds like he has a really good shot at being the starter this season. 3 games in 11 days is a tough way to start the season though. However, Darnold has an even-keeled temperament that probably won't be too affected by an adverse environment.

It sounds like Anderson is having a really good camp. Pryor has reportedly looked good since practicing.  At RB, Crowell and Cannon have been receiving rave reviews.

The o-line has been giving up a lot of sacks and pressure in camp. Beachum is out, but giving up sacks to our less than stellar pass rushers is not a great sign. This has to be an area of focus next off-season. You have to protect our young QB. It sounds like they will roll out Darnold a lot to buy him time plus he excels at throwing on the run.

Shepard is playing with the starters and reportedly has looked good. Herndon has been great. Cannon looks explosive (pun intended, thank you very much). Nickerson looked very good before he got hurt. Dare I say that this could turn out to be a great draft?

Yeah. for obvious reasons its been a while since I looked forward to watching preseason as I am this season. Darnold of course is the main reason, but I want to see Teddy in live game action as well. It would be great if he looks good and they can swing a deal to get a 2nd or 3rd, at least, before the season starts.

I have mixed emotions about Darnold starting right away - my fear is that our o-line will be horrific and not give him a chance. I'd prefer Josh or Teddy to start the season off and let the line gel a bit and get their game-plans in order. However if Darnold is so good that they have to start him, that's pretty exciting.

I was just out listening to Humpty and Canty. They're at Jets camp and interviewing Bowles right now, but before that they debated when to start Darnold. Both really think it is a mistake for week one, citing things like three games in ten days and having only three yrs. of football experience (1 high school, 2 college). They also wondered if Jets were hyping up how godd Darnold looks because of the Hackenberg failure. Rick said Boomer Esiason thinks they should just throw him in at the beginning of the season and let him figure it out.

I was just out listening to Humpty and Canty. They're at Jets camp and interviewing Bowles right now, but before that they debated when to start Darnold. Both really think it is a mistake for week one, citing things like three games in ten days and having only three yrs. of football experience (1 high school, 2 college). They also wondered if Jets were hyping up how godd Darnold looks because of the Hackenberg failure. Rick said Boomer Esiason thinks they should just throw him in at the beginning of the season and let him figure it out.
Well if that was the case it would come back to bite them as soon as this Friday.

Sorry, I probably wasn't specific enough on that. The hype comment was with respect to him being good enough to be in contention to take the job to start the season. Not that he wasn't looking good at all. And they were just hypothesizing, not quoting sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teddy Bridgewater looks very good. Good for him. I’ve always liked the guy and he’s worked hard to make it back. Whether they end up trading him or he starts the season, it’s also good for the Jets.

They don’t have a 4th QB so Darnold will play the whole second half also. I kind of wish they could get him out now, but guess I should just enjoy it and be glad he’s getting the reps.

They don’t have a 4th QB so Darnold will play the whole second half also. I kind of wish they could get him out now, but guess I should just enjoy it and be glad he’s getting the reps.
We're so scarred from years of bad quarterbacking that we don't want to lose the good momentum.

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Christian Hackenberg's first two passes in camp with the Eagles were picked off.

Well at least they must have been somewhat close to a WR, so he's getting better.   :lmao:

Responding to Terrelle Pryor's claim that his May ankle issue was a new break, Jets coach Todd Bowles said Pryor should "keep his mouth shut and leave the injuries to me."

Pryor has typically had a difficult time endearing himself to his coaches, so it's notable as he tries to secure his 53-man roster spot. "Just" $1 million of Pryor's $3 million base salary is guaranteed. Pryor, who is coming back from what he says was an injury-ruined 2017 in Washington, was inactive for the Jets' preseason opener. He's also expected to sit out Thursday's game against his old team.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter 

Aug 14 - 1:44 PM
Maybe Bowles will be more fiery now that he's skinny.

Ijalana was placed on the IR. Winters and Beachum still out. Hey Mac, you have a franchise QB now.  How about you stop ignoring the damn position??? Grrr.

Looking forward to tomorrow night and watching Sam again.

Can't wait for tomorrow night. I want to see both Darnold and Bridgewater light it up. 

Could it be that quarterbacking will be a strength of this team?  

Can't wait for tomorrow night. I want to see both Darnold and Bridgewater light it up. 

Could it be that quarterbacking will be a strength of this team?  
I know, it feels like the Twilight Zone.

Teddy will be gone next year though. It will be Sam and McCown as the likely back-up. I guess that we'll draft someone to groom as the backup in the next couple of years.

Darnold held his own last night and did nothing to embarrass himself last night. I get so irritated with people criticizing that 4th down INT.  Cimini and Shrager both said you can't throw an INT there and cost yourself a fg. Freaking morons it was 4th down. Second of all, I've seen the replay a dozen times. It was a horrible play call with no deception at all. The Redskins were all over that play.  Darnold looked left and all three receivers were covered. The safety released when Powell didn't go into the flat and ran directly to Kearse. I can't say for sure, but it looked like Kearse was open when Darnold threw it, but the safety made a beeline and deflected that pass.

Regardless, you can only get upset at players that do not understand their situation. How often does a QB take a sack on 4th down? Often enough in our history. Darnold knew that he had that he had to throw it turn it or turn it over on downs. Blame Bates if anyone for that call.

Teddy looked really good, but he has no future on this team. Yeah, he's a great story, but what do we get out of playing him other than hoping to trade him by the deadline? Just let Darnold play.

That o-line and pass rush is awful. Newsflash, it's not a newsflash. Same problem for years because we ignore those positions in the draft. Our first round pick next year better be for a pass rusher and we need to spend next year on the o-line. We'll have plenty of cash.

I hope to see more development from Adams. He flashes some good plays, but we need to see more for such a high draft pick (and someone that talks so much).  This season should be about the growth of Darnold, Adams, Mayes, and Shepard.  Is there any hope for Lee? The little dude looks lost out there at times. I'm not that impressed with Hansen and especially Stewart. Do we have any other young players of note? Oh yeah, looking forward to seeing Herndon and Leggett.

Darnold held his own last night and did nothing to embarrass himself last night. I get so irritated with people criticizing that 4th down INT.  Cimini and Shrager both said you can't throw an INT there and cost yourself a fg. Freaking morons it was 4th down.
I also heard Darren Woodson on ESPN radio say he should have thrown the ball away - some of these guys just don't think before they speak.

I also heard Darren Woodson on ESPN radio say he should have thrown the ball away - some of these guys just don't think before they speak.
Wow. First thing I was thinking was that instead of diving to catch the ball five yards past the line of scrimmage, the DB should have just batted the ball down. (Can't take a chance of letting it fall even though there was nobody near it.) Regardless...

IT'S FOURTH DOWN.  

His pick meant nothing other than a bad play call and a good rotation by the linebacker who tipped the ball.  

My gut tells me that Bowles is planning on Josh McCown starting this year (3rd preseason game will be telling) and frankly I'm ok with that - assuming Bridgewater has been traded. With all the hype Darnold is getting in the media and from the fanbase it seems throwing him into the fire behind a bad line with limited weapons could be a poor decision that can ruin he kid before he gets started.

Wow. First thing I was thinking was that instead of diving to catch the ball five yards past the line of scrimmage, the DB should have just batted the ball down. (Can't take a chance of letting it fall even though there was nobody near it.) Regardless...

IT'S FOURTH DOWN.  

His pick meant nothing other than a bad play call and a good rotation by the linebacker who tipped the ball.  
Yep, throwing the ball away is actually WORSE - since the ball comes back to the line of scrimmage.

He should start if he's still with the team.
I think Darnold's contract and McCown's salary means he won't be with the Jets very long. Hopefully they can get a second for him, but that's almost crazily optimistic. We'll wind up with a third for a starting-level NFL QB. 

Ah, Jets.  

My gut tells me that Bowles is planning on Josh McCown starting this year (3rd preseason game will be telling) and frankly I'm ok with that - assuming Bridgewater has been traded. With all the hype Darnold is getting in the media and from the fanbase it seems throwing him into the fire behind a bad line with limited weapons could be a poor decision that can ruin he kid before he gets started.
My brother (Giants fan) was saying the exact same thing. He's twenty-one. So young. They'll be all over him when he doesn't perform up to expectations behind a lousy line with so-so weapons.  

Serby (of course) wrote: "There will be other batted-down passes and other interceptions and other occasions when he wisely recognizes that taking a sack is better than throwing it up for grabs".  I hope he means in general, but I wouldn't put it past that idiot Serby to refer to last night's INT.

I'm ok with Darnold sitting out the first 2-3 games, but no more than that. He needs experience more than anything. This isn't the Hack, Geno, or Petty clown-show.

Darnold will have ups and downs like any other rookie QB (e.g. Goff and Wentz). I can see Darnold having a rookie season like Wentz 62% 16 tds and 14 INTs. Get him ready for years 2 and 3.

McCown and Teddy have no future with the Jets. Darnold needs to play, but I can live with Teddy starting if you think it builds his trade value by the deadline. Otherwise it should be Darnold.

McCown and Teddy have no future with the Jets. Darnold needs to play, but I can live with Teddy starting if you think it builds his trade value by the deadline. Otherwise it should be Darnold.
Likely so. Wait, more than likely. Almost definitely. 

Sam needs reps to get better, he should start and has not looked overmatched... the line was missing two starters, and he was missing some piece parts like enunwa, some of the tight end options, crowell and the good looking rookie canon.  He needs to play ..make his mistakes and learn from them, the sooner he starts the better imho

I'm not sure I've ever looked more forward to a preseason game - assuming Darnold is getting the start.
I can't watch. I used my free Game Pass trial already and am not willing to spend $99 to see this game, though I'm really eager to hear how it turns out.  

I can't watch. I used my free Game Pass trial already and am not willing to spend $99 to see this game, though I'm really eager to hear how it turns out.  
I just tried to sign up for the free pass, but they won't let me since I've used that account before. Time to create a new one. I can't remember the last time I've even missed a preseason game. I haven't missed a regular season game in 40+ years.

I just tried to sign up for the free pass, but they won't let me since I've used that account before. Time to create a new one. I can't remember the last time I've even missed a preseason game. I haven't missed a regular season game in 40+ years.
I get to watch on CBS - that sucks for you guys.

I created another NFL account with a different email address and got my free trial. I will be watching our savior.
I know this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things but with the "pressure" of this being the dress rehearsal and his audition to start Week 1, and with playing against the cross-town rival who also happened to pass on him, it will be very interesting to see how he looks.

I created another NFL account with a different email address and got my free trial. I will be watching our savior.
Awesome.  

Maybe I'll do the same, though I'm supposed to go out for my own birthday dinner right during the game.  

Can you skip your own birthday dinner?  

Users who are viewing this thread