What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (16 Viewers)

Sam Darnold really showcasing his future talent and potential today. Even as a Phins fan I can appreciate what the Jets are trying to do with him, nice job guys. 

Very impressed with Sam today. Played smart and scanned the field always found an open guy. He made every player on the field look better including the o-line by going through progressions and releasing the ball way more quickly than Falk. Anderson, Crowder and even Thomas all of a sudden looked like NFL WRs.

Its a shame the Jets didn’t secure a better backup - but to be fair I guess they thought they had that in Simien. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to get a win (or at the very least, look respectable).

I still dont see how they get in the playoff hunt, so wins are kinda meaningless, but you just couldn't root for a loss today. Sam had to go out and make a statement that this team is not going to be a joke when he's out there.

Adams is just a straight up Dawg. Gonna suck when he leaves for greener pastures (which i think will happen)

I still dont see how they get in the playoff hunt, so wins are kinda meaningless, but you just couldn't root for a loss today. Sam had to go out and make a statement that this team is not going to be a joke when he's out there.

Adams is just a straight up Dawg. Gonna suck when he leaves for greener pastures (which i think will happen)
I realize and agree the wins are meaningless and in many ways they are detrimental but I’m all for winning as many games as possible. They already have a franchise QB so where the pick falls isn’t as important and I’d rather build moral, give Sam confidence and keep the players excited about 2020.

Amazing the difference in play calling when you have QB who has a gun for an arm and who tho no Lamar Jackson, has very good feet and can maneuver around the pocket.

Kudos to Gase for opening up the playbook from the get go...he called a very good game and had an excellent game plan from the start. I loved the fact he attacked the Cowboy D and never let up. Never thought I'd say such good things about Gase but got to give credit where credit is due...lol

Very satisfying W today for the boys as all the players who have been ghosts on offense and who we wanted and needed to see contribute did...Robbie, Crowder, Montgomery,Griffin...heck even Demarious Thomas made a big impact on the game.

And on D, it was really nice to see Quinnen finally show what all the hoopla was all about in college and why he was drafted #3 overall. He was solid today as was obvioiusly Adams,Jenkins and even Trumaine Johnson showed he wasn't a stiff afterall at least for this week.

And from a fans perspective it's ####### nice to not have my cell phone blowing up with abuse from my buddies and instead it was blowing up today from shock and suprise....lol. I'll take that any  day.

Hopefully we can give the evil empire a game next Monday night. There defense tho is out of this worldly tho and better than Dallas's was. At very least, I want us to make them sweat and I do believe we have the talent to do that. Whether or not we that will translate to an upset which would be one for the ages is very doubtful. But I'll take us at least giving the Pats a scare.

We than would play the Jags, Dolphins etc etc and the easy part of our schedule commences. I still wouldn't put it past this crew of ours to figure out a way to win 6 games maybe even 7 seeing our schedule really is pathetic going forward...we'll see. But it feels good for at least this week to finally have a W....:)

Very impressed with Sam today. Played smart and scanned the field always found an open guy. He made every player on the field look better including the o-line by going through progressions and releasing the ball way more quickly than Falk. Anderson, Crowder and even Thomas all of a sudden looked like NFL WRs.

Its a shame the Jets didn’t secure a better backup - but to be fair I guess they thought they had that in Simien. 
I like the way he can squirm out of a pocket and throw the ball at different angles and arm motions. He has a natural ability to escape the pressure.

It felt good for us fans having Sam come back from mono and lead the team to a win. Enough with everyone's jokes and abuse.   I'm sure it felt better for the team.  In December or April I might regret it, but I hope for the team's sake that we can string some wins together. Otherwise you might be right and we'll see Adams leave.  He plays with a ton of heart and I'm not sure what continued losing will do to him.

Here's the bottom line. Today was a nice start and it illustrated what we thought was possible before the season started until the injuries to Darnold and even Seimien put the kabaosh to running a normal offensive scheme.

Next week vs Patriots will be a pretty good indicator if what we saw today is sustainable. That defense over there is simply brilliant. Maybe the best defense I can ever recall them having during this two decade long run of excellence of there's.

If Gase can put a game plan together where the offense can score in the 20's vs that Patriots D...heck even score two TD's I'll be tickled pink, well than maybe just maybe we got something here seeing the schedule after this as has been stated ad nausea gets appreciably easier the rest of the season.

I'm still a skeptic when it comes to Gase and will remain so until  he puts a few more game plans together where the offense is humming like it was during the first half today. We'll shalt see but no question Gase will certainly not have any more excuses now that Sam is back combined with the schedule being so friendly going forward.

I am cautiously optimistic that we will start to resemble the team we thought we had going into the season but as I said, let's see how we respond next Monday night. We absolutaly  need to make this a game  which is still in doubt late in the 4th quarter.

Seeing that lesser Jet teams over the years have made the Patriots sweat it out versus us at Met Life as we typically put up good fights at home vs them, I am actually feeling fairly confident about how we will respond now that Sam is back and from what I saw today,  so much so that with the early spread on  the game being Patriots -10, I do believe I'm going to put a US Grant or two  on the Jets to cover the spread which would have been unthinkable and insane for me to do only a week ago...:) 

I kind of wish they had a cupcake coming up next week to keep the momentum going, instead of New England on National TV.
Not gonna lie. After watching New England closely the past five weeks, the Jets should be able to defend them reasonably. I don't think it'll be all that bad. I think they'll at least cover.

The Jets defense gave the Eagles a tough time the week before. It was only a blowout because the Falk was so bad and the Eagles scored 2 defensive TDs. I could see the Jets defense giving Brady and the Patriots a tough time.

Not gonna lie. After watching New England closely the past five weeks, the Jets should be able to defend them reasonably. I don't think it'll be all that bad. I think they'll at least cover.
Their defense is next level good - their offense is less than dynamic. Brady is clearly showing signs of fading and their skill guys are not very frightening outside of Edelman. I do think the Jets could keep it close but I'd just prefer a "sure win" like Miami to come first before facing the Pats.

Their defense is next level good - their offense is less than dynamic. Brady is clearly showing signs of fading and their skill guys are not very frightening outside of Edelman. I do think the Jets could keep it close but I'd just prefer a "sure win" like Miami to come first before facing the Pats.
Brady can't throw past 20 yards anymore. It's all a matter of not getting sliced and diced by those short passes to Edelman and White.

So, I wonder if the NY Post still stands by its headline that Danny Dimes is the best QB in NY. Or the national media that proclaimed Mayfield to be the best QB by far? Everyone is so reactionary with their hot takes. Let things develop over time.

Brady can't throw past 20 yards anymore. It's all a matter of not getting sliced and diced by those short passes to Edelman and White.

So, I wonder if the NY Post still stands by its headline that Danny Dimes is the best QB in NY. Or the national media that proclaimed Mayfield to be the best QB by far? Everyone is so reactionary with their hot takes. Let things develop over time.
I'll admit to having had drunk the Baker Kool-Aid.

Sam's deep ball yesterday was a thing of beauty. It hit Anderson's hands fifty yards away. With touch!

Jones has surprised me, but give me Darnold any day of the week. He plays way more under control/poised, and while he's not as athletic running the ball he's more than capable.

And while I'm not ready to bury Mayfield yet, I'll take Darnold over him as well. I wish he could have played in that Cleveland game because I think the Jets would have won that game.

Jones has surprised me, but give me Darnold any day of the week. He plays way more under control/poised, and while he's not as athletic running the ball he's more than capable.

And while I'm not ready to bury Mayfield yet, I'll take Darnold over him as well. I wish he could have played in that Cleveland game because I think the Jets would have won that game.
I don't know if we know who is better or will be better, but my point is that's it's funny how everyone is in a rush to declare one better or worse after a game or two. It's the state of the world these days. Hot takes and headlines.

I don't know if we know who is better or will be better, but my point is that's it's funny how everyone is in a rush to declare one better or worse after a game or two. It's the state of the world these days. Hot takes and headlines.
yeah, I'm not trying to speak definitively, and I get the point you are making, but based on an obviously limited sample size, I'd take Sam's overall skill set over Jones and Mayfield. With that said, it would be far from shocking if either or both had better careers than Darnold.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/10/why-jets-kelechi-osemele-is-suddenly-on-brink-of-fines-or-suspension.html

However, a source told NJ Advance Media that while two doctors have indeed examined Osemele, both deemed the injury to be a pre-existing condition (sustained in training camp) and one that he could play through – then have repaired at the end of the season.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on - but it's not a good look either way. I also don't get why it happening in training camp makes it a pre-existing condition - maybe he was still with the Raiders then? I can't remember when the trade happened. 

I dunno my Jet brothers, I got this crazy feeling that the Jets are going to pull off the upset on Monday night vs Patriots. In the recent past before Rex and after he was here, Jets have given the Pats fits at Met Life.Even two years ago when we sucked even worse than last year, we gave them a tough game. If you go back to 2007, we've beaten  them I believe 3-4 times but in pretty much every year, there has usually been one of the two games versus the evil empire where we scare the #### out of them and either have a chance to win and we choke or Brady pulls one of his last minute comebacks.

With Sam back and with Mosley likely back, this should be the best Jet team we've had since the Fitzmagic 2015 team which should have made the playoffs but as we know choked vs Rex and the Bills last game of the year. Now that we have a QB who knows  what the #### he's doing and now that Gase isn't moping anymore cause he doesn't have his #1 QB, he'll have some plays that could make hoodie confused. It's not like he hasn't beaten Billy boy before when he was in Miami with inferior talent than he has right now at his disposal.

And don't understate what the addition of Mosley means for the defense. Greg Williams has done a hell of a job making the right calls and making this defensive of ours viable and aggressive. I don't think Tommy Boy is going to be passing the ball all over Met Life unless he wants to be planted on the turf as Williams will be throwing the kitchen sink at him but in a controlled type of way.

Sure hoodie will have some sort of scheme waiting for Sam as well but I dunno, I just gotta feeling Monday night is a Le'Veon Bell night, Sam manages the game great and the defense keeps the Pats under control and we pull off the upset 21-20.

One more thing...how cool will it be that for the 2nd consecutive week on National TV, 90% of the country will be rooting for us vs the opposition?....Gotta luv it...:)

Let's see if my suspicions the Jets either win outright or at very worse make the Patriots sweat it out late in the 4th quarter with the game still in doubt come tomorrow night come true.

I am really really interested in seeing how this team responds to being in the national spotlight seeing it depending upon how we play, we may actually have a season after all despite all the doom and gloom before last week's upset over the Boys put a little hope here in Jet Nation.

This is benchmark game seeing if they do win and get their record to 2-4, with a very very manageable schedule going forward where the teams they will play with only two teams with a winning record(Bills and Ravens) and who all told have a combined record of 19-34, it's not inconceivable that the Jets despite their 0-4 start, could still end up with an 8-8 record which was the record myself and quite a few others in here thought would be what their record all along. This was never the year they were going to make the playoffs as it was next year when I at least thought would be much more realistic for a playoff run. 

8-8 though would be a heck of a nice improvement tho and so it starts with tomorrow nite.

That's obviously a best case scenario. At the very very least, I want to see the Jets play good enough going forward including tomorrow night to where we have hope again. With Sam back as well as Mosley even with the O-Line severely banged up, I really do think things are looking up here in Jetland.

Amazing how having a bonafide NFL QB who has a gun for an arm. who is accurate and who can elude a pass rush can make an O-line look better than it is.

Let's do this. Can't wait for tomorrow night.

Go Jets...make us proud!!....

Still dont think we're going to win, but I need Robbie Anderson to have a big game to keep me alive in the contest, so I'll be into it.

Let's see if my suspicions the Jets either win outright or at very worse make the Patriots sweat it out late in the 4th quarter with the game still in doubt come tomorrow night come true.

I am really really interested in seeing how this team responds to being in the national spotlight seeing it depending upon how we play, we may actually have a season after all despite all the doom and gloom before last week's upset over the Boys put a little hope here in Jet Nation.

This is benchmark game seeing if they do win and get their record to 2-4, with a very very manageable schedule going forward where the teams they will play with only two teams with a winning record(Bills and Ravens) and who all told have a combined record of 19-34, it's not inconceivable that the Jets despite their 0-4 start, could still end up with an 8-8 record which was the record myself and quite a few others in here thought would be what their record all along. This was never the year they were going to make the playoffs as it was next year when I at least thought would be much more realistic for a playoff run. 

8-8 though would be a heck of a nice improvement tho and so it starts with tomorrow nite.

That's obviously a best case scenario. At the very very least, I want to see the Jets play good enough going forward including tomorrow night to where we have hope again. With Sam back as well as Mosley even with the O-Line severely banged up, I really do think things are looking up here in Jetland.

Amazing how having a bonafide NFL QB who has a gun for an arm. who is accurate and who can elude a pass rush can make an O-line look better than it is.

Let's do this. Can't wait for tomorrow night.

Go Jets...make us proud!!....
Expect a loss, but hope for the best. As Andy D once said, "hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies".

NYRAGE said:
Expect a loss, but hope for the best. As Andy D once said, "hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies".
Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but the Patriots are ripe for the upset. Jets haven’t had too many signature wins since 2015 when they beat both the Giants and Patriots back to back...this would be one of them.

Tonight is one of those rare nights where I think the football gods who every now and again tease and throw us a bone are going to give us long suffering fans of this jinxed team of ours a ****ing break...I just feel it.

Than we’ll get all excited that we have a season after all to look forward too and than next week we’ll lose 27-3 at Jacksonville....lol

It would be such a “Jet thing to do” for a scenario like that too occur but you know what, I’d sign a check right now for us losing and getting blown out next week in Jax, so long as we beat the evil empire on national TV tonight.

This needs to happen....Go Jets!!

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
I always get nervous when the media starts giving the Jets credit. That said I think this game has a lot of potential to be tight. Watch it come down to field goals. Go Jets

I always get nervous when the media starts giving the Jets credit. That said I think this game has a lot of potential to be tight. Watch it come down to field goals. Go Jets
question, what gave you that impression?  i mean, i’ve been a 40 fan and the jets are simply defenseless.  zero pass rush.  limited front 7 talent.  no o line.  this team isn’t close to being in the league right now, much less being able to hang with the pats.

hind sight is great, but i wonder if the jets wouldn’t have been better off keeping and investing in teddy bridgewater and staying where they were in the 2018 draft.  the colts took nelson, a pro bowler, at 6.  i am still hopeful about what darnold can be, but this team is just so dreadful around him i really don’t know what i’m looking at anymore.  

Guess I was wrong about the Jets showing up and putting up a fight.

Sam has looked atrocious tonight. Yes the O-Line has been even worse than Sam but still Darnold knows he needs to either take a sack or throw the ball away.

I'm just going to chalk this up to us playing the best team in football and that we have alot of work to do to become a bonafide team.

I've said it dozens of times but it's going to take till next year before we truly know if Sam and this team is going to be as good as we think it will be.

Douglass is going to need a full off season to evaluate what we've got here, prepare for a draft and for UFA.

Until than for the rest of this season we just have to hope and pray Sam stays healthy and shows some progress. 

I'm already trying to forget tonight's monstrosity as I type this. i should know better but I'm a fan of this team for 45 years and I still get sucked in to thinking they can do things they can't like tonight my thinking we could hang with the Patriots.

Oh well...on to Jacksonville!!

When did Darnold begin to think he could throw the ball off his back foot?

He's never done it until tonight vs the Patriots. This is f'n bizzaro world at this point now. Every pick of his has been with him throwing off his back foot.

This has got to be a mental thing now. Belichek has him spooked and he's seeing ghosts all the time.

I hope he can recover from this. I mean I think he will but this is as bad as I've ever seen a Jet QB who was a starter in a very very long time. I guess maybe since Geno Smith was here....holy **** is this bad

I'm not watching this team until Gase is fired. Something this bad can't be entirely his fault but it just proves that he has zero idea how to prep a team or make adjustments. The team will never be good with him in charge.

Users who are viewing this thread