What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (3 Viewers)

They need to help Aaron out - I sound like a broken record - but where are the threats in the mistake of the field? Coach loves two tight end sets and you think Jimmy Graham (could be worst tight end who plays significant snaps in the NFL) and Marcedea Lewis are the answer? You don’t spend a dime on a quick slot receiver?

back up the truck for Austin Hopper or Hunter Henry and draft a receiver who can get separation in a short area in the first round.
QB is 100% the most pressing need. This has been the case for over a year now. The team cannot enter next season without a successor on the roster.  Rodgers has another season, maybe two, but he’s not getting better and doesn’t seem willing to put in the work needs to adjust his game. 

QB is 100% the most pressing need. This has been the case for over a year now. The team cannot enter next season without a successor on the roster.  Rodgers has another season, maybe two, but he’s not getting better and doesn’t seem willing to put in the work needs to adjust his game. 

Don’t have luxury to draft a successor early. Need to help roster now while Rodgers is still here. Probably a two year window. Need to go all in. When Rodgers is gone they can tear everything down and rebuild.

In these early days of the New Year when there is not enough Content to read while bored at work, and not much Packers news because (ahem) they have a ♫ first round bye ♫ and are just counting the days until everyone picks the Saints to beat them, let’s look back at some of the Packers who left the team before reaching this point.

This includes players who were part of the team at some point during 2018 and/or 2019. Brian Gutekunst became GM on January 7, 2018 so all these moves were on his watch. The list is not exhaustive—if you’re interested in what became of Kapri Bibbs or Fadol Brown you’re on your own. (Also, why??)

Byron Bell (OL) – As of his signing to a 1-year, $1.6m deal in May of 2018 the Packers were Bell’s fourth team in seven years as he was clearly regarded as “veteran depth” at that point in his career and not a starter. He had experience at both tackle spots, providing possible insurance against yet another injury to RT Bryan Bulaga. Instead he became an emergency starter at RG after Justin McCray stunk and got injured. Bell started 9 games and allowed 33 total pressures during his 365 snaps, the worst of any Packer lineman. He hurt his knee in Week 13 (Mike McCarthy’s final game) and was placed on IR. Everyone knew he was bad all year and he did not play in the NFL in 2019.

Mike Daniels (DL) – Daniels was a leader for the Packers defense on and off the field and during most of his seven years with the team was one of their best defenders. He reliably produced 4 or 5 sacks each year while doing dirty work against the run game. In 2018, as so much else was going wrong for the Pack, so too did Daniels derail. He only managed to play 39% of the defensive snaps as he was placed on IR with a foot injury after Week 10. Pro Football Focus still scored him with the 8th-best pass rush grade of all DLs in 2018 and lining up next to ascending young NT Kenny Clark made for an intimidating duo. Despite all that, trade rumors emerged in the spring of 2019 and the Browns, Patriots and Chiefs were allegedly all wrangling for Daniels. In the end Gutekunst released Daniels in July 2019 and saved GB $8.3 million in cap space. That came a day after a contract extension for DL Dean Lowry, reinforcing the commitment to the team’s younger core on defense. There was speculation that Daniels’s voluble locker room presence had soured as other defenders referred to “the same guys who keep saying the same things.” Daniels only had to wait two days for a fresh contract, a 1-year deal with division “rival” Detroit for $9.1m with $7.8m guaranteed (a slight raise over his Packers deal). Lions fans were psyched to pair him with their blockbuster free agent pass rusher Trey Flowers. The move was an utter bust with Daniels only playing 203 snaps in 9 games and getting 1 sack. Injuries slowed him throughout the year and he went on IR after Week 9. He missed both 2019 games versus the Packers. Daniels has indicated a desire to re-sign in Detroit and if that doesn’t happen his NFL career will certainly continue somewhere in 2020.

Clay Matthews III (OLB) – Everyone knows CM3 is Green Bay’s all-time sack leader with 83.5, and everyone knew it was time for him to move on after the 2018 season. He had played to the end of the chunky contract extension he signed in 2013 and didn’t miss any games in 2018 but he posted a career-low 3.5 sacks that year and the Packers had no intention of re-signing him. They did at least avoid any public discord a la the Bears’ mishandling of Brian Urlacher in 2013. Matthews appeared to accept that he wasn’t a star—or even a starter—heading into his age-33 season and signed a signed a 2-year, $9,250,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams a week into free agency. It was a pretty sweet setup for him to return to his SoCal roots and join a Super Bowl-caliber defense. Early returns looked good with Matthews notching at least one sack in each of the Rams’ first five games in 2019. Unfortunately he took a cleat to the face in that fifth game and was out with a broken jaw until Week 10. He finished the year with 8 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in 13 games but his advanced stats didn’t look quite so juicy. PFF gave him a career-worst rating of 54.2 overall. He hasn’t mentioned retirement plans so expect Matthews to add to his Hall of Fame credentials in 2020 with more stat-padding.

Antonio Morrison (ILB) – Whew, these get a lot easier when you get to the cannon fodder dudes. Morrison joined the Packers in a trade with the Colts just before the 2018 season. He played in all 16 games but wasn’t part of the base defense so logged only 299 snaps with 1 sack and 4 tackles for loss. He earned a ‘proven performance escalator’ for playing time during his first three NFL seasons which would have given him a base salary boost in 2019 to $2.02 million. Unfortunately for Morrison that meant the Packers cut him in March 2019 rather than pay the boosted salary, and he has been out of the league since then. Cold!

Josh Jones (DB) – Jones was selected #61 overall in the 2017 draft, the last helmed by Ted Thompson. In 2018 it seemed Jones had the inside track on a starting spot at strong safety following the departure of Morgan Burnett. Instead Kentrell Brice took the spot and Jones missed the first few games with an ankle injury. In the tepid weeks after McCarthy’s firing Jones finally did become the starter, ending the year with 5 starts. His season totals were 56 combined tackles (40 solo), 2 pass deflections, and 1 sack in 13 games. In 2019 the Packers brought in a new safety tandem of Adrian Amos and Darnell Savage and Jones openly rebelled at his lack of playing time. Matt LaFleur kicked Jones out of a July practice after he started a fight with RB Tra Carson. Jones was clearly angling for an escape from Green Bay and that came in August when he was waived. No one claimed him but the Cowboys signed him to their practice squad in October, the week before a game against the Packers. Jones didn’t make it onto their roster for that one but did play in their last 6 games of the year, almost exclusively on special teams. He is under contract with the Cowboys for 2020 at a $735,000 salary.

Kentrell Brice (S) – As noted above, Brice, a former undrafted free agent, beat out Josh Jones to become the Packers’ starting strong safety in 2018, the first year with Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator. He made 10 starts that year among his 14 appearances but was frequently berated by fans as a weak point on the back end of the defense. He had a somewhat-unearned reputation as a big hitter and managed to concuss himself on a tackle of Vikings’ RB Dalvin Cook for which he was also fined. At least the only sack of his NFL career came in the classic Week 1 win against the Bears. The Packers declined a tender for Brice in March 2019, making him an unrestricted free agent. He spent the summer of 2019 with Tampa Bay but didn’t make their roster. The Seattle Dragons of the XFL released him from their mini-camp in late 2019. The Packers have trotted out some crummy safeties this decade and Brice was certainly among them with his 14 career starts.

All right, I have about 15 more guys on my list but that does it for today. I sure hope some websites posted some doggone Content while I was working on this...

Don’t have luxury to draft a successor early. Need to help roster now while Rodgers is still here. Probably a two year window. Need to go all in. When Rodgers is gone they can tear everything down and rebuild.
Yeah this.  They need to take their shot while they still have Rodgers.  Worry about his successor when he's gone.

I was not a fan of letting Daniels go at the time...Im glad to be wrong on that.  Lowry made some plays this year and he and Clark paired together look like a solid duo for a few more years (as long as they resign Clark).

Clay looked good the few times I watched them.  I get some advanced metrics may not look as good...but the eye test for me when I saw the Rams he seemed pretty disruptive...still the right move to let him go though.

As for the backup or not talk for Rodgers...lets see how these playoffs go.  Ive been a huge defender and he still has the talent and arm most of the time.  I think he relies to much on the arm and throws off his back foot too much for me (which leads to passes being off the mark) and is not as consistently accurate anymore.  I get wanting to go all in...but I don't think you run a team that way.  Im still intrigued if Tua comes out and is sitting there, what Gute will do (also depends on what else is going on in the draft).  Its a pretty deep draft in terms of WR talent...and FA could bring OL, ILB, and/or DL depth.

Aaron isn’t going to be able to make all the throws and carry the team on his back. He needs short area help. Lafleurs offense is actually perfect for him as he ages. It’s a two tight end heavy set. Problem is he doesn’t have two tight ends that are of any threat.  Solve that issue and this offense becomes potent. Sounds so simple. But if Packers can get Hooper or Hunter Henry and another pass catching tight end (Marcedes is retiring and Jimmy Graham is horrendous) and a quick twitch slot receiver - watch out. 

on defense need some stout rotational DTs.

Aaron isn’t going to be able to make all the throws and carry the team on his back. He needs short area help. Lafleurs offense is actually perfect for him as he ages. It’s a two tight end heavy set. Problem is he doesn’t have two tight ends that are of any threat.  Solve that issue and this offense becomes potent. Sounds so simple. But if Packers can get Hooper or Hunter Henry and another pass catching tight end (Marcedes is retiring and Jimmy Graham is horrendous) and a quick twitch slot receiver - watch out. 

on defense need some stout rotational DTs.
and some inside linebackers (if they lose Blake)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t want to see them break the bank for Blake. Wouldn’t mind them resigning BJ Goodsen who should be much cheaper.

I’m actually okay with them letting every free agent walk.
I am not saying they have to resign Blake, but they do need some help at inside linebacker

So we know its the Seahawks now.

This week should be about communication.  Can't give up those big plays to Lockett and Metcalf.  Honestly not sure which one Id want to see Jaire on vs. King getting burnt deep.

Dline and rush linebackers have to make the tackles when they get to Wilson, can't let him extend.

Sweet, sweet revenge. At least, I hope so for you guys. That BS TD and ensuing shenanigans cost me a bundle a few years back. Took a lot of research and time to make up that loss. Hope you beat the crap out of the 'hawks. GL.

I’ll be at the game. Still not sure what to expect from this team though!

I haven’t been to a playoff game since 2007 when the Seahawks went up 14-0 then GB came back and destroyed them.

Well hopefully a winning effort doesn't have to come in OT.
yes, I guess I was more hoping for some over confidence from seattle and many pick 6s for gb :)

The OL issues for Seattle are great for GBs defense. The DBs will have their hands full. Should be a win for GB

Can't make the same mistake NO did, though, and overlook an inferior opponent

Other than defeating the withered carcass of Josh McCown last night, the last time the Seahawks held anyone under 20 was… against the Eagles in Week 12. They only held teams to 20 or fewer points in four regular season games.

Feels more like a 34-30 result either way. Both teams have won close games all year.

Chicago Hooligan said:
I’ll be at the game. Still not sure what to expect from this team though!

I haven’t been to a playoff game since 2007 when the Seahawks went up 14-0 then GB came back and destroyed them.
That night was fantastic - heavy snow, but warm, so we had those huge snowflakes pouring down on us all night.  I was happy to have a hotel room in Green Bay after that one. The following week of course was a lot colder and a much worse outcome.  I'm weighing my options right now, but am leaning toward staying home for this one.  It would be a much easier decision if they'd have put this game in any of the other time slots than the late Sunday game.  GoPack

That night was fantastic - heavy snow, but warm, so we had those huge snowflakes pouring down on us all night.  I was happy to have a hotel room in Green Bay after that one. The following week of course was a lot colder and a much worse outcome.  I'm weighing my options right now, but am leaning toward staying home for this one.  It would be a much easier decision if they'd have put this game in any of the other time slots than the late Sunday game.  GoPack
Agreed.  Would love to attend but this makes it very problematic for me, scheduling-wise.  I have to be at work in Colorado, by 6:30 AM the next day. Not a lot of travel options from Green Bay to Denver.  I presume by the time I got on the road it would be 8:00PM.  Have to get to Milwaukee, Minneapolis, or Chicago to get a flight so would be talking after midnight flights, which are very limited.  Maybe I will check Chicago.  I think both Chicago and Denver are United hubs so maybe they have something around 3:00 AM or so.

Agreed.  Would love to attend but this makes it very problematic for me, scheduling-wise.  I have to be at work in Colorado, by 6:30 AM the next day. Not a lot of travel options from Green Bay to Denver.  I presume by the time I got on the road it would be 8:00PM.  Have to get to Milwaukee, Minneapolis, or Chicago to get a flight so would be talking after midnight flights, which are very limited.  Maybe I will check Chicago.  I think both Chicago and Denver are United hubs so maybe they have something around 3:00 AM or so.
Assuming you stay until the end (and no OT), it will be at least 9:00 p.m. before you're in your car and could easily be midnight before you get to Milwaukee, depending on weather.  It would be incredible if you could pull it off, but seems like a long shot.

The Claymaker said:
We have got to get a wr that has speed and can catch next year. Not much on the FA market, Green, Sanders and Cooper. 
I hope we a great draft. 
I believe Robby Anderson is a FA and the Packers were interested in him at the trade deadline.

Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams did not have instant chemistry with Rodgers.  It developed over time.  I hope Lazard and Kumerow are given that chance, Sternberger too.  Draft a tackle to be the replacement for Bulaga, if not this year then next.  Draft a d lineman to supplement Clark.  Find an inside linebacker.

so, after the coach learns what he can from reviewing the tape of our humbling loss at SF not so long ago does he look at tape of Seattle's win there and of Atlanta's win at home.  I mean Atlanta found a way.  Not sure the Baltimore game would tell us much, different styles and all, maybe some defensive insights.

After watching LSU vs. Clemson last night, I'm hoping GB coaches were watching as well.  Clemson defense was dominant, especially getting to Burrow early.  LSU made some great adjustments and had some creative play calls to help combat the pass rush, blitzes, etc.  

While I understand it is college vs. the pros, I think there are definitely some parallels and GB could benefit by reviewing the game and maybe using some of the concepts LSU used.

I believe Robby Anderson is a FA and the Packers were interested in him at the trade deadline.
He is going to be seeking $10,000,000 + per year. Not what Green Bay needs right now - they need a mid range passing attack. Focus should be on getting one of the big name free agent tight ends (hopper or Hunter Henry) and finding a Slot receiver (I mentioned calling Jacksonville to see if they would part with DeDe Westbrook). If they only addressed this area a little in the offseason, the offense would be unstoppable. 

Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams did not have instant chemistry with Rodgers.  It developed over time.  I hope Lazard and Kumerow are given that chance, Sternberger too.  Draft a tackle to be the replacement for Bulaga, if not this year then next.  Draft a d lineman to supplement Clark.  Find an inside linebacker.
I remain intrigued by Sternberger. I think he really has a shot to emerge next year. But we need a 1A tight end. Graham is done and so is Marcedes. Go out and get Hunter Henry or Austin Hopper.  Lazard and Kumerow are what they are. Big receivers that struggle to get separation. Get a slot guy with speed. 

As far as free agents they need to let Blake And Bulaga walk they will cost too much. I would try to resign BJ Goodson and look to mid rounds of draft to nab an ILB. 

need a rotational run stuffing DT to pair with Kenny Clark. Run defense has been spotty at best.

as for draft there are some high end receivers - hopefully one drops. 

and of course I hope we have the last pick in the first round!

finding a Slot receiver (I mentioned calling Jacksonville to see if they would part with DeDe Westbrook). 

Big receivers that struggle to get separation. Get a slot guy with speed. 
GM Brian Gutekunst has previously said that he prefers big slots over small slots because bigger receivers get hurt less often.  Although with this year's struggles, it is possible he changed his mind.  I hope they sign AJ Green or another high priced free agent receiver.  Aaron Rodgers might no longer be truly elite but he is still good enough to win a Super Bowl if he is surrounded by a strong supporting cast.  I don't mind the Packers mortgaging the future for Rodgers' last few years.  I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

I haven’t been to a game at Lambeau for a while and the “enhanced” experience with hype videos, blasting butt rock, fireworks, celebrity fans etc. is… really fun!

I give them a 25% chance to beat San Fran. It’s not like they’re some godly team from whom to cower in fear though. At least GB should go in healthy unlike the 2016 NFCC game.

House money, baby. Let it ride.

GM Brian Gutekunst has previously said that he prefers big slots over small slots because bigger receivers get hurt less often.  Although with this year's struggles, it is possible he changed his mind.  I hope they sign AJ Green or another high priced free agent receiver.  Aaron Rodgers might no longer be truly elite but he is still good enough to win a Super Bowl if he is surrounded by a strong supporting cast.  I don't mind the Packers mortgaging the future for Rodgers' last few years.  I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
I’m on board for going all in but need to get right players for this system. AJ Green is done, waste of money. Need major major upgrades at tight end and slot receiver. Offer a 4th for DeDe, sign Hunter Henry, and draft a shifty WR in 1st.

AJ Green is done, waste of money.
Before the game he got injured in 2018, Green had 45 catches for 687 yards and 6 touchdowns in 8 games.  That would translate to 90 catches for 1,374 yards and 12 touchdowns in 16 games.  He is certainly an injury risk but he was still elite the last time he played.  In fact, he has never put up anything but elite numbers at any point in his career despite below average quarterbacking and garnering as much defensive attention as any receiver in the league.  True superstars are rarely available (and he might not be available).  I'll accept the injury risk as long as he doesn't require $50+ million in guaranteed money and a 1st round pick as compensation to the Bengals.

Before the game he got injured in 2018, Green had 45 catches for 687 yards and 6 touchdowns in 8 games.  That would translate to 90 catches for 1,374 yards and 12 touchdowns in 16 games.  He is certainly an injury risk but he was still elite the last time he played.  In fact, he has never put up anything but elite numbers at any point in his career despite below average quarterbacking and garnering as much defensive attention as any receiver in the league.  True superstars are rarely available (and he might not be available).  I'll accept the injury risk as long as he doesn't require $50+ million in guaranteed money and a 1st round pick as compensation to the Bengals.
I’d rather have Robbie Anderson for the money Green will ask for. (I don’t want Anderson either).

they need to address mid game passing - middle of the field. Lafleur loves two tight end sets, let’s get one solid tight end in free agency.

I think we have a Hunter Henry type player in Jace, I was looking at their combine comparisons, almost identical in all the important categories. But clearly he can’t show us anything from the bench or blocking, but I did see some solid effort while blocking vs Seattle. I do also like Henry but he can’t stay healthy. 

I would like to see a top MLB as well as that speedy slot guy. Also a good corner. While I am wishing. Lol

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/05/dallas-cowboys-jace-sternberger-2019-nfl-combine-2019-nfl-draft-texas-am/

This was done by some Cowboys writer, but the info is good.

I don't think you spend big on Hunter Henry.  He is almost always hurt...I just don't see that being a wise move with money.

This is a deep draft for WR, and not very deep at FA.  I think you can find a good complimentary WR in the 2nd round...(not saying don't do it in the first...have not looked at any breakdowns yet of who would be around worthy of the first over the 2nd round pick).  Sadly, the guy id really like at slot won't come out til next year.  Jaylen Waddle from Alabama.  Now, maybe not the guy Gute likes because of size...but top end speed and moves to go with it.  And has also handled punt returns.

I like Lazard and another year with Rodgers think he can do well opposite Adams. (though, similar things were said about Allison, MVS...).  His size and ability to get inside on slants in recent weeks (plus his big TDs in both games against the Lions) show he has some talent.  Another offseason with Rodgers and Adams could be quite nice.

I like Martinez, but seems he may get paid big time by someone.  Not sure he is worth what he will get...but what is he worth to Green Bay and where are we at MLB if we can't replace him?

This week...the key seems to be OL.  Have to get Rodgers time, have to be able to run the ball some...Rodgers has to get the ball out quick and read the rush.  Cannot make the big mistakes and get behind or its over early.

Defensively...similar to Seattle, don't give up the big play.  Obviously a more difficult task with a team that can run the ball like SF and has a guy like Kittle.

Oh, and don't question why someone laughed at your post with the like thing rather than respond...apparently, that gets you a week off.

On another note...how much longer does Rodgers go?

He was waxing a bit poetoc after the game about looking ip at the fans and appreciating things.

Maybe that was a nod to the fans but...still with his age is a concern that he only goes another year or so (and if they manage to win this year I could see him walk away as anyone would love to go out like Elway)

I could see him walking away if he had a chance to go out on top.  A very Rodgers move in my estimation.  Id be fine with that trade off.
No doubt...bookend a great career with an early SB after 2010 season and then another now.  Id be sad its over...but thankful for what it brought.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I could see him walking away if he had a chance to go out on top.  A very Rodgers move in my estimation.  Id be fine with that trade off.
I agree. a bright spot is we would be so bad we would be in the competition for Lawrence... except our defense is probably good enough to win 6 games alone...

Users who are viewing this thread