What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurant Scenario WWYD? (1 Viewer)

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
Arrive at upscale casual restaurant at 12:30 PM on Sunday -  i have symphony tickets at 2:00 PM and need to leave by 1:40 PM and inform my waiter as such... the restaurant is what i'd call semi-busy... many open tables, but certainly not dead.

Wife and I order 2 beers and make our order quickly of some pretty basic foods.. a burger and a cuban.  Most people were there for the brunch consisting of breakfast items.

We were brought our beers... then never saw the waiter again and mild attempts at calling him to our attention were ignored or unseen.

By 1:15 PM we realized we were beginning to run short on time.. many other tables had received service, ours had not.

at 1:25 PM PM we realized that even if we did get our food that we were going to have to rush eat it... and still hadn't seen our waiter.

We dropped $10 for the beers and exited and picked up some snack foods at the symphony......   right play or **** move?

Perfectly fine IMO. If you haven't received your food after close to an hour and you had made it clear that you were on a schedule, I see nothing wrong.

I probably would have informed the hostess on the way out as both a courtesy and a complaint. 

Perfectly fine IMO. If you haven't received your food after close to an hour and you had made it clear that you were on a schedule, I see nothing wrong.

I probably would have informed the hostess on the way out as both a courtesy and a complaint.

yep.....if you have time

Arrive at upscale casual restaurant at 12:30 PM on Sunday -  i have symphony tickets at 2:00 PM and need to leave by 1:40 PM and inform my waiter as such... the restaurant is what i'd call semi-busy... many open tables, but certainly not dead.

Wife and I order 2 beers and make our order quickly of some pretty basic foods.. a burger and a cuban.  Most people were there for the brunch consisting of breakfast items.

We were brought our beers... then never saw the waiter again and mild attempts at calling him to our attention were ignored or unseen.

By 1:15 PM we realized we were beginning to run short on time.. many other tables had received service, ours had not.

at 1:25 PM PM we realized that even if we did get our food that we were going to have to rush eat it... and still hadn't seen our waiter.

We dropped $10 for the beers and exited and picked up some snack foods at the symphony......   right play or **** move?
You were fine.

I would have complained on the way out to the mgr

trying to understand in what way this might be a #### move... bailing on the order that you asked for and needed to be brought out a half hour earlier that never came? if that makes you a ****, then paging @wetdream 

$10 for two beers?  Sure hope it was happy hour or they had a Kirkland Draft Light on tap.
That was my thought...depending on the beer you were drinking, you may have shorted them for the product you did receive.  I'll trust you had that covered.

That was my thought...depending on the beer you were drinking, you may have shorted them for the product you did receive.  I'll trust you had that covered.
I don't think they were shorted considering they wasted his time and didn't provide an expected level of service. If the time was going to be an issue, they could have let him know upfront.

Fine....not a #### move...unless you didn't completely didn't pay for the beers.

Honestly if the beers came out to $11 or $12 I'm still fine with it.

$20 of IPA's might push the envelope a bit.  That said the waiter doesn't have the moral high ground to #####.  Yeah you may have shorted him $1-$4, but you are out lunch before  a show.

Good move..waiters probably ate the Cuban and burger.

The part that does confuse me is how you could wait 45 minutes before acting?  Why not literally get up and find the damn waiter?  Or just ask someone if you could speak to a manager?  Seems like a long time to wait without making a substantial attempt to get served.   :shrug:  

10 dollars was more than fair. Even if you left $5, I wouldn't think you were out of line. 

Why didn't you just get up and inquire as to what was going on?  Say, 20 minutes into waiting?  Nothing wrong with leaving, but sitting there without taking any action is confusing to me. 
Yup I posted the same thing a few posts above you.  Extremely odd.

Why didn't you just get up and inquire as to what was going on?  Say, 20 minutes into waiting?  Nothing wrong with leaving, but sitting there without taking any action is confusing to me. 
Why should a customer have to get up from their table and search the place to find the waiter? Maybe he should just walk back to the kitchen and cook his own food too. Poor service can't be rewarded.

He made the right play. Talking to a manager just wastes more time at that point and the end result is the same.

Honestly if the beers came out to $11 or $12 I'm still fine with it.

$20 of IPA's might push the envelope a bit.  That said the waiter doesn't have the moral high ground to #####.  Yeah you may have shorted him $1-$4, but you are out lunch before  a show.
I believe the Dentist went dutch:  $10 from him, $10 from Mrs Dentist.

Seems right to me.

Why should a customer have to get up from their table and search the place to find the waiter? Maybe he should just walk back to the kitchen and cook his own food too. Poor service can't be rewarded.

He made the right play. Talking to a manager just wastes more time at that point and the end result is the same.
they shouldn't have to. but if i'm there, already ordered, and have waited an inordinate amount of time, i am going to find out wtf is going on.  not sit there like a chode for 55 minutes hoping something was going to happen.  the restaurant is 100% in the wrong, but damned if i'm going to just there.  f that noise.  "mild attempts at calling him over"  wut?

they shouldn't have to. but if i'm there, already ordered, and have waited an inordinate amount of time, i am going to find out wtf is going on.  not sit there like a chode for 55 minutes hoping something was going to happen.  the restaurant is 100% in the wrong, but damned if i'm going to just there.  f that noise.  "mild attempts at calling him over"  wut?
:lmao:

You did the right thing but I don’t like going into restaurants with special requirements like needing them to hurry up or anything out of the ordinary. You need to be delicate with people who handle your food or you never know what’s going to end up in it. 

My recommendation in this situation is to give yourself enough time for eating and also not go back to this place because you probably would’ve been late anyway with that kind of service. 

My recommendation in this situation is to give yourself enough time for eating and also not go back to this place because you probably would’ve been late anyway with that kind of service. 
:goodposting:   An hour to eat a sit down meal is only guaranteed at Wendy’s. 

Pretty sure he doesn't have to walk back to the kitchen to get some attention.  To say or do nothing after waiting for 45 minutes (when you're in a hurry) is asinine.  Honestly dentist's lack of communication was almost more egregious than the idiot waiter's behavior.

You did the right thing but I don’t like going into restaurants with special requirements like needing them to hurry up or anything out of the ordinary. You need to be delicate with people who handle your food or you never know what’s going to end up in it. 

I knew we were pushing it a bit but thought they could handle it since it was far from rush hour

It sounds like you might have caught them at the beginning of a shift change over. 12:30-1:00, maybe they had just had a big brunch crowd. Probably, a decent chunk of the kitchen staff went to smoke a cigarette right when your order came in. Sounds like your waitress went to smoke with them, probably to buy a bag of weed too. After the smoke break, they were geared up to finish their side work, GTF out of there, and get lit on a Sunday afternoon (probably not at the symphony, but who knows?).  And good thing you didn't ask to see a manager, he was locked in his office "interviewing" the new girl. Next time, ask for the new girl (who just replaced the chick that left you high and dry to buy a bag of weed). I hear the new girl is very eager to work and goes the extra mile.

When a restaurant goes into this mode, it's very easy for something to fall through the cracks. In a lot of cases, for these reasons, you'll often find you get faster service during the busy times when they are more staffed. 

It sounds like you might have caught them at the beginning of a shift change over. 12:30-1:00, maybe they had just had a big brunch crowd. Probably, a decent chunk of the kitchen staff went to smoke a cigarette right when your order came in. Sounds like your waitress went to smoke with them, probably to buy a bag of weed too. After the smoke break, they were geared up to finish their side work, GTF out of there, and get lit on a Sunday afternoon (probably not at the symphony, but who knows?).  And good thing you didn't ask to see a manager, he was locked in his office "interviewing" the new girl. Next time, ask for the new girl (who just replaced the chick that left you high and dry to buy a bag of weed). I hear the new girl is very eager to work and goes the extra mile.

When a restaurant goes into this mode, it's very easy for something to fall through the cracks. In a lot of cases, for these reasons, you'll often find you get faster service during the busy times when they are more staffed. 
They opened at noon and their hours that day were 12-3 total.   One shift for the day

Users who are viewing this thread