What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dante Pettis WR Giants (2 Viewers)

He'll be going up against the same SEA he went 5/129/2 on, gonna have a hard time not using him as my flex/WR3 this week.

He's WR14 over the last 3 weeks in my league so far.
Been streaming my WR2 since losing Cupp. Humphries has gotten me by, Tate started to look good, Curtis Samuel as well, but I think Pettis is who will get the nod next week.

Considering starting him over Boyd for my WR3 or even at flex where I've been back and forth between Josh Adams and Calvin Ridley

Dante Pettis caught all five of his targets for 83 yards in the 49ers' Week 15 overtime win over the Seahawks.

Pettis led the 49ers' receivers in targets, receptions, and yards in Sunday's overtime win, and he continues to be a big play waiting to happen. This time around Pettis made a diving play with tight coverage down the sideline for a 30-yard pickup. The rookie receiver and the 49ers offense in general will have a tougher time next week against the Bears, but Pettis has earned WR3/4 treatment as the 49ers No. 1 receiver.
Guy is really good, plus Mullens trusts him all over the field, no matter the situation.

Another really impressive weak.  

He's catching deep balls.  He's making catches in the red zone.  

He's catching short routes.  

He's fighting and getting yards after the catch.  

He's an absurd route runner.  I'm firmly in on this guy in dynasty.  I think for re-draft next year, he's a WR3.  You look at what he's done with Mullens.  If Jimmy G comes back full strength, Pettis has a year in this offense.  He may be the steal of the 2018 rookie drafts.

jm192 said:
Another really impressive weak.  

He's catching deep balls.  He's making catches in the red zone.  

He's catching short routes.  

He's fighting and getting yards after the catch.  

He's an absurd route runner.  I'm firmly in on this guy in dynasty.  I think for re-draft next year, he's a WR3.  You look at what he's done with Mullens.  If Jimmy G comes back full strength, Pettis has a year in this offense.  He may be the steal of the 2018 rookie drafts.
While everyone was all over Anthony Miller (even creeping into the late 1st in some instances), it sure seems Pettis was the true 2nd round gem. I'd rank him just behind DJ Moore in this rookie class at this point. Ridley's value has been decreasing each week as he seems to have contracted a bad case of the drops. Sutton has been doing ok with his starting job after the DT trade, but not as well as Pettis and they were drafted similarly (NFL 2.08 vs. 2.12).

As for redraft next year, it'll be interesting to see if Garcon is back. I assume not, and if that's the case I expect Pettis to be pricey as the de facto WR1 in SF (unless you're drafting with some Goodwin truthers). If he keeps up his current pace, his price will just go up. In his 5 starts since returning from injury, he's grabbed 21 receptions for 350 yards and 4 TDs. If that pace doesn't slow in the last 2 weeks, he's going to be a hot redraft commodity with a healthy JG back at the helm next season.

While everyone was all over Anthony Miller (even creeping into the late 1st in some instances), it sure seems Pettis was the true 2nd round gem. I'd rank him just behind DJ Moore in this rookie class at this point. Ridley's value has been decreasing each week as he seems to have contracted a bad case of the drops. Sutton has been doing ok with his starting job after the DT trade, but not as well as Pettis and they were drafted similarly (NFL 2.08 vs. 2.12).

As for redraft next year, it'll be interesting to see if Garcon is back. I assume not, and if that's the case I expect Pettis to be pricey as the de facto WR1 in SF (unless you're drafting with some Goodwin truthers). If he keeps up his current pace, his price will just go up. In his 5 starts since returning from injury, he's grabbed 21 receptions for 350 yards and 4 TDs. If that pace doesn't slow in the last 2 weeks, he's going to be a hot redraft commodity with a healthy JG back at the helm next season.
I’ll be very curious how high he winds up.  Goodwin was going 6th to 7th iirc.  I’d be very happy to get him around there(at least I think so at the moment).

I’ll be very curious how high he winds up.  Goodwin was going 6th to 7th iirc.  I’d be very happy to get him around there(at least I think so at the moment).
I could be wrong, but with Pettis' recent play, I think people will be more excited about a 6'1" 2nd year player drafted by Shanahan than a 28 year old 5'9" career role player. There was also some fear that Garcon would be the WR1 in 2018, limiting the Goodwin hype. If they don't bring in a big name (Josh Gordon?) then I think there will be little doubt that Pettis is the WR to own in SF next season.

I'm not predicting a 3rd round ADP, but I expect he'll be going in the top 60 (5th round). 

I'm not predicting a 3rd round ADP, but I expect he'll be going in the top 60 (5th round). 
That's probably about right.  If he has a solid last two games and with Garoppolo back, he will get a lot of hype..............

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely be interested in targeting him next year as a WR3, but if his ADP climbs into WR2 territory, I'd start getting nervous. Not because I don't think he can produce like a WR2, but because I'm not sure I want to bet that high of a draft pick on it happening.

I would definitely be interested in targeting him next year as a WR3, but if his ADP climbs into WR2 territory, I'd start getting nervous. Not because I don't think he can produce like a WR2, but because I'm not sure I want to bet that high of a draft pick on it happening.
100% agree with you - he's an ideal WR3 (huge upside with no real penalty if you're wrong since there are about 30 WR3s out there to pick from). 

Fortunately, barring an enormous final 2 games and/or a complete preseason blowup, I can't see him going higher than that. I just threw together a high-level top 24 WRs for 2019 and I have a hard time finding room for him ahead of guys like Jeffery, A-Rob, and Gordon. IMO it's more likely his ADP winds up in the Fuller / D.J. Moore / Mike Williams range, where there should still be ample profit potential.

100% agree with you - he's an ideal WR3 (huge upside with no real penalty if you're wrong since there are about 30 WR3s out there to pick from). 

Fortunately, barring an enormous final 2 games and/or a complete preseason blowup, I can't see him going higher than that. I just threw together a high-level top 24 WRs for 2019 and I have a hard time finding room for him ahead of guys like Jeffery, A-Rob, and Kupp. IMO it's more likely his ADP winds up in the Fuller / D.J. Moore / Mike Williams range, where there should still be ample profit potential.
I hope you're right, and suspect you might be. His production has been solid but not spectacular (outside of that one week), so he's not getting the "fantasy playoff savior" buzz. Still only 51% owned in Yahoo.

Looking at my two drafts from this year, the guys I drafted as my WR2s were Cooks and Fitz, while my WR3s were Shepard/Sanders. Went one-for-two in both cases -- this kind of stuff is always a crapshoot -- but I think that's a really good illustration of the risk profile I'm looking for at both positions. Up until this year, Fitz was the epitome of safety, and I felt pretty confident that Cooks would produce in a good offense (he flirted with WR1 for awhile this year before settling back down to WR2). But Sanders is really the best comp; I saw him as a WR2 who was being undervalued as a WR3, in his case because he was coming off a down year. In Pettis' case, I think it's because most people have stopped following SF too closely.

49ers.com reports the team has "huge expectations" for Dante Pettis heading into 2019.

"We loved the way he closed this season," GM John Lynch said Thursday. "There's some maturation that I think is naturally going to come in terms of putting some girth on and some strength. I think this offseason is very important for him." Pettis is working on adding "strength and body mass." Pettis battled injury issues of his own in the 49ers' ridiculously banged up receiver corps last year but had some huge games down the stretch. He's someone the 49ers still clearly believe in after trading up for at No. 44 overall last year.

SOURCE: 49ers.com

Feb 28, 2019, 2:36 PM

The Man With No Name said:
:thumbup:

Drafted him in 2 Dynasties last year. Looking forward to his future
I own him in all 3 of my dynasty leagues, so I'm right there with you :)

Going to look for him in redraft for 2019, guy has a clear path to be the #1 WR in that O assuming he's healthy. He catches balls short, he catches them medium-depth and can catch them deep... and that was with not a lot of weapons opposite him. You add healthy Goodwin, McKinnon, Brieda, another WR to him and Kittle?

I was looking to buy thinking he'd be a good buy low since he hasn't really "broken out" yet...and owners aren't moving him in my leagues at least (one owner asked for Cooks and Godwin for Petts and 1.5. No way) 

I drafted him in all 6 leagues last year and he's definitely a hold for me.  Fully expecting him to build on last year and become a top 50 player.

Going to look for him in redraft for 2019, guy has a clear path to be the #1 WR in that O assuming he's healthy. He catches balls short, he catches them medium-depth and can catch them deep... and that was with not a lot of weapons opposite him. You add healthy Goodwin, McKinnon, Brieda, another WR to him and Kittle?
Based on this board’s recently-completed WSL best-ball drafts, he’s going no higher than the WR36-40 range. 

He is a screaming buy all offseason at that price.

Based on this board’s recently-completed WSL best-ball drafts, he’s going no higher than the WR36-40 range. 

He is a screaming buy all offseason at that price.
:)

I only have him in one dynasty but in that league I feel desperate for a WR1.

i was considering including him in a deal where I get Corey Davis, but Pettis might be better than Davis.  Or roughly equal chance to be a wr1/2. 

Feels like a guy where owners won't sell for what buyers think they can get him for.
To be clear, I was referring to redraft prices. I’d be flabbergasted if you could acquire him in dynasty for anything close to WR4 prices.

Pettis and Guice (~RB24) are the two most underpriced redraft assets right now based on what I’ve seen to date, IMO.

I was considering including him in a deal where I get Corey Davis, but Pettis might be better than Davis.  Or roughly equal chance to be a wr1/2. 
I don’t know I’d feel confident saying better. But given Davis is already 3 seasons in, I’d wager that Pettis has a greater chance of being a long-term WR1.

2019 will be Davis’s 3rd season and his rookie year was essentially a redshirt season. 
Right. 

But as much as I like my Titans, Mariota one of my favorite players, that offense seems less likely to produce a top end wr1. I don't know if Pettis will become one either but I won't add much to him to get Davis. (I would not have said this a year ago)

2019 will be Davis’s 3rd season and his rookie year was essentially a redshirt season. 
Ack, you’re right. I’ve owned multiple shares of him both years so it definitely seems like it’s been a long time in purgatory. 

I still stand by my conclusion though. People are going to be (but shouldn’t be) surprised by how good that offense will look with Jimmy G back under center.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
To be clear, I was referring to redraft prices. I’d be flabbergasted if you could acquire him in dynasty for anything close to WR4 prices.

Pettis and Guice (~RB24) are the two most underpriced redraft assets right now based on what I’ve seen to date, IMO.
I didn't mean to flabbergast you.

Why is Pettis not being discussed more? The guy was a wr1 with a backup qb the last 3-4 games he played at the end of the season unless I’m misremembering. SF has done little in the way of adding competition. It’s looking more and more like he’s the guy to own in that offense and he’s still goin for late 1st’s. Am I missing something?

Why is Pettis not being discussed more? The guy was a wr1 with a backup qb the last 3-4 games he played at the end of the season unless I’m misremembering. SF has done little in the way of adding competition. It’s looking more and more like he’s the guy to own in that offense and he’s still goin for late 1st’s. Am I missing something?
The draft...

It would take at least the 1.05 for me to even consider dealing him and I probably wouldn't do it.  Depending on landing spots the 1.01 might not be enough in this draft.  He's poised for a big season if he stays healthy.  Something like 70/1000/6 well within reach.

At Pettis' price, loving this kid as a Hold with Upside in dynasty. I don’t want to sell him and watch him blow up on someone else's roster. 

Users who are viewing this thread