What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but I also think they are some of the guys that maybe shouldn't be in the hall of fame. Maybe it was the way I phrased it, but worst player in the hall of fame is still a great player. 
The more I look at it, the basketball HOF has some really, really underwhelming members.  Probably due to 30 teams rosters of 12-15 players, vs NFL 32 teams rosters 47-53 players.  There are still many great NFL players who still aren't in, but I don't know that any truly "great" NBA player that is eligible is not already in yet.

Basketball reference HOF predictor has top two, not including those who are active or not yet eligible, as Larry Foust and Jack Sikma

Leonard will eventually alert rival teams considering trades for him that his intention is to sign in Los Angeles when he can become a free agent in 2019, league sources said.
Don't stop........BELIIIIIEEEEVIN'.............HOLD ONTO THA FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELIN!
Most probably think this already and they'll use it to their advantage.  Ramona said today something like the Lakers basically got hung up on and no players were talked about.  Now that certainly can change in a week or two, but if it holds, a year is a long time to wait...anything can happen....and what the Lakers do during that time will matter too.

:lmao:  no anti-Warriors fan should want Howard to sign with them.  A lineup with him as the fifth scoring option would be unstoppable.
Now that would be fun. Hornets got roped into it last year. And the Hawks the year before. You think about what's possible with what he has left in the tank, and those outcomes seem positive on paper.

But then as the season goes on, you remember it's not paper, that Howard is a human being. One that everyone hates to play with and doesn't fit in today's NBA at all. 

Oh, for the sake of the league, I dearly wish you were correct, but no the Warriors are not dumb enough to bring in Howard.

Really, if we've all been good little boys and girls this year, then we will get rewarded with Howard going to Cleveland. Howard with either LeBron or the Ball family, it would be the greatest gift we could ever hope for.

Now that would be fun. Hornets got roped into it last year. And the Hawks the year before. You think about what's possible with what he has left in the tank, and those outcomes seem positive on paper.

But then as the season goes on, you remember it's not paper, that Howard is a human being. One that everyone hates to play with and doesn't fit in today's NBA at all. 

Oh, for the sake of the league, I dearly wish you were correct, but no the Warriors are not dumb enough to bring in Howard.
lol at comparing the Hawks and Hornets to the Warriors.  I guarantee he would keep his mouth shut for one last chance at a ring.

If he signs with the Warriors, you or @bananafish can propose some terms and I will have no problem backing my opinion with money.  

Really, if we've all been good little boys and girls this year, then we will get rewarded with Howard going to Cleveland. Howard with either LeBron or the Ball family, it would be the greatest gift we could ever hope for.
A decade too late. 07-08 Bron/D12 would win 4 or 5 straight titles.

I've lost respect for the guy through all this. 

Hope he goes to LA, gets a max contract and has a nice middling rest of career battling injuries and eating up cap space. 
Why? If he actually sat out faking an injury because Pop gave him a dirty look or something I get it, but if the team put him back out there before he was healthy and jeopardized his career long term then what else is he supposed to do? 

Until we get a better idea what happened I am not going to judge him for it. We have seen teams lie to players and put them back in too early and destroy their careers. I personally can't remember a NBA player faking an injury so he didn't have to play for a playoff team. 

Why? If he actually sat out faking an injury because Pop gave him a dirty look or something I get it, but if the team put him back out there before he was healthy and jeopardized his career long term then what else is he supposed to do? 

Until we get a better idea what happened I am not going to judge him for it. We have seen teams lie to players and put them back in too early and destroy their careers. I personally can't remember a NBA player faking an injury so he didn't have to play for a playoff team. 
I didn't claim he "faked" it - just don't like the jive Im getting from him, he behaviors and attitude (from what I can see from afar) - especially when talking about a franchise with the level of respect - and coach - they have.  It's sports. We pick guys we like and find one's we don't.

Between him turning me off and the Lakers (just always disliked as a fan, and it's not as if we have Jerry West there running the show, ala Pops in the respect department from me), that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

For now. :coffee:  

Howard will not be signing with the Warriors because smart people run that team, on that I am willing to wager. 

Bad teams with nothing to lose are paying through the nose just to get him off their roster he is such a cancer. The Warriors locker room is great and cohesive and all but it's not impermeable. The Warriors' brass isn't foolish enough (I hope) to push their luck like that unnecessarily. 

Howard had a chance to win a chip with the Rockets and he pouted through the Western Conference Finals then, too. After that the Rockets were happy to see him go. 

Plus his name is Deewight which is just dumb.
That's insane to think the Warriors aren't entertaining the idea of adding a guy who went 16.6/12.5 last year for a veteran minimum.    

I didn't claim he "faked" it - just don't like the jive Im getting from him, he behaviors and attitude (from what I can see from afar) - especially when talking about a franchise with the level of respect - and coach - they have.  It's sports. We pick guys we like and find one's we don't.

Between him turning me off and the Lakers (just always disliked as a fan, and it's not as if we have Jerry West there running the show, ala Pops in the respect department from me), that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

For now. :coffee:  
Fair enough and I am not saying you said he faked it. Just went with the most likely 2 scenarios that make the Spurs right or Kawhi. 

Fair enough and I am not saying you said he faked it. Just went with the most likely 2 scenarios that make the Spurs right or Kawhi. 
Yeah, I'm admittedly not being fully rationale here. Then again, if we took that to the extreme, why the hell are adults paying and watching other adults play basketball, and paying/watching enough for those adults to make tens of millions, doing it?

That's why its called being a FANatic.

That's insane to think the Warriors aren't entertaining the idea of adding a guy who went 16.6/12.5 last year for a veteran minimum.    
Seriously.  Just give them 20 minutes a game protecting the rim.  Show him a highlight reel of the easy looks Javale got the past two years.  It's odd how a player's objectives change when playing for a heavy favorite, let alone a contender, compared to the likes of Charlotte.

If he's down for the vet minimum then I would agree as something would have fundamentally changed about Mr. Howard. Is there anything out there saying something like this? The only thing I've seen was for the mini mid-level.

Either way I still wouldn't bet on it.
I don't know that.  Warriors money is different than any other team's money because the strong likelihood of a ring is worth something.  Howard needs the Warriors more than the Warriors need him so there would be no reason to offer more than the min.  They are in a great position because they have all the bargaining power.

That is a former player, loving on his former team. There is still something that doesn't add up. Plus Bruce contradicts himself a couple times in that article.

I wouldn't give a 2nd thought if Jeff Van Gundy did an Espn story backing Kawhi because he wanted to go to the Knicks. 
Oh, if he went to the Knicks my story would change in an instant.

But it would also be a thousand times more likely to happen. :bag:  

there is nothing worse then 24-hour sports networks. every talking head is now saying now, that they have "felt for months that LBJ would join either the Cavs or Lakers". i get they have a job to do, but i can't think of another job where you can talk utter crap, and be fine. 

It is rather odd that a quibble about an injury, serious or not, would make one give up 85 million dollars from a quality team. Seems unnecessarily petty when the team is going out of its way to make things right. 

Not saying I hate the guy or anything but the whole situation is just weird.
An odd choice of words but I don't think it's the injury he is quibbling about.

The more I look at it, the basketball HOF has some really, really underwhelming members.  Probably due to 30 teams rosters of 12-15 players, vs NFL 32 teams rosters 47-53 players.  There are still many great NFL players who still aren't in, but I don't know that any truly "great" NBA player that is eligible is not already in yet.

Basketball reference HOF predictor has top two, not including those who are active or not yet eligible, as Larry Foust and Jack Sikma
Sikma needs in.

there is nothing worse then 24-hour sports networks. every talking head is now saying now, that they have "felt for months that LBJ would join either the Cavs or Lakers". i get they have a job to do, but i can't think of another job where you can talk utter crap, and be fine. 
Hot takes rest for no man

This Wendell Carter kid reminds me of a black Blake Griffin. Good job Chicago!

Looks incredibly fluid for a guy 6 ft 10. Looks good from 3-point land (better than Embiid). Very interesting. 

I like the Bridges pick for Charlotte.  Putting MKG or Marvin Williams on the bench should not be a tall task.

Backup PG too?  8th seed here we go!

:yucky:
I think they could make a pretty good rebound from last year. And I'm generally fine competing for the 8th seed every year (well, I'd prefer competing for the 5-6th seed). Nothing wrong with that, imo.

An interesting, competitive team is fine with me. Building an NBA title contender takes a string a great decisions, and plenty of good fortune. The NBA reality is a daunting one to try to build a contender, with teams trying a bunch of different routes to slay that nearly impossible dragon.  

I like the direction though. They are putting some interesting pieces together, though Batum feels more and more like the turd in the punch bowl. He needs to either give a #### or go, but of course, there's no getting around that awful contract. 

Weather person 

Well, I can think of one.

I think they could make a pretty good rebound from last year. And I'm generally fine competing for the 8th seed every year (well, I'd prefer competing for the 5-6th seed). Nothing wrong with that, imo.

An interesting, competitive team is fine with me. Building an NBA title contender takes a string a great decisions, and plenty of good fortune. The NBA reality is a daunting one to try to build a contender, with teams trying a bunch of different routes to slay that nearly impossible dragon.  

I like the direction though. They are putting some interesting pieces together, though Batum feels more and more like the turd in the punch bowl. He needs to either give a #### or go, but of course, there's no getting around that awful contract. 
Yeah, I'm fine with it.  Just keep Kemba, I love watching that guy play

Worried they're stealing your schtick?

Worried they're stealing your schtick?
:lmao:  this is weird. i'm a fan, they are reporters. Wee bit of a difference. in all reality, Lebron has a few reasonable places to go and my guess is this time next week we should know. but i do get the 24-hour sports reporting conundrum. 

for a little more constructive addition to the thread, outside of the big names, i'm interested to see how some other players play out.

1.  Cousins will be fun to watch. i remember when the Kings made that trade and everyone was laughing at them that they got screwed. jury is still out, but like George and some other big name trades, Kings aren't doing too bad. curious to see where he lands

2. Noel - guy really looked promising coming from Philly, and his career took a nosedive in Dallas. he is still young enough, wondering if he can bounce back

3. Whiteside - not a FA, but it seems Miami and him are just not on same page. 

Interesting rumor that Spurs will only trade Kawhi to the East.  They don't have much leverage with his situation and need to take whatever deal is best.  They aren't competing for a long time.

modogg said:
:lmao:  this is weird. i'm a fan, they are reporters. Wee bit of a difference. in all reality, Lebron has a few reasonable places to go and my guess is this time next week we should know. but i do get the 24-hour sports reporting conundrum. 

for a little more constructive addition to the thread, outside of the big names, i'm interested to see how some other players play out.

1.  Cousins will be fun to watch. i remember when the Kings made that trade and everyone was laughing at them that they got screwed. jury is still out, but like George and some other big name trades, Kings aren't doing too bad. curious to see where he lands

2. Noel - guy really looked promising coming from Philly, and his career took a nosedive in Dallas. he is still young enough, wondering if he can bounce back

3. Whiteside - not a FA, but it seems Miami and him are just not on same page. 
I've tuned out all the noise except visiting this thread a couple times a day. Nothing I read or hear anywhere matters One. Tiny. Bit. You'll know what happens an hour or so before me. That's all you get for tuning into 24-hour sports reporting. Is it worth it? If you never heard a rumor or read speculation, the results of whatever it is your interested in will be the same. Your head will just be filled with pages of gobbledy####. 

Interesting rumor that Spurs will only trade Kawhi to the East.  They don't have much leverage with his situation and need to take whatever deal is best.  They aren't competing for a long time.
They have all the leverage if they don't care about the consequences/value. If they would take 25 cents on the dollar they can send him to the Knicks or something.

There is value in not fully giving into a player's demands as an organization. Let players know they just can't go rogue and get what they want.
Hasn't he already done that by not playing though?

If the Lakers end up offering the best assets for the Spurs do rebuild, do you think the Spurs should decline it?

Hasn't he already done that by not playing though?

If the Lakers end up offering the best assets for the Spurs do rebuild, do you think the Spurs should decline it?
Depends what the gap is between Lakers offer and the next, but I would take a lesser offer to send Leonard out East, give the organization a reputation for not caving in.

I've tuned out all the noise except visiting this thread a couple times a day. Nothing I read or hear anywhere matters One. Tiny. Bit. You'll know what happens an hour or so before me. That's all you get for tuning into 24-hour sports reporting. Is it worth it? If you never heard a rumor or read speculation, the results of whatever it is your interested in will be the same. Your head will just be filled with pages of gobbledy####. 
Amen. I blame my 1 year-old who has been sick lately, and has made me stay home from work getting my brain filled with garbage

Sorry the kid is sick, bro. I recommend Sponge Bob over ESPN even for a one year old.
oh, i've been a terrible parent so far. Cut the chord, and got netflix and Amazon Prime. Must have watched 80% of the horror movies on both lately. Kid is already going to be a serial killer, thinking trying to guide her in a direction now won't help. She has learned the Dallas Cowboys and Boston Celtics are bad, no matter how good they may be. So we have that going for us

Depends what the gap is between Lakers offer and the next, but I would take a lesser offer to send Leonard out East, give the organization a reputation for not caving in.
The most interesting scenario to think about is if Paul George doesn't sign with the Lakers.  There is no other superstar to entice LeBron to sign with the Lakers.  Lakers are willing to go all in (whoever you think that would be) because they are essentially now trading for Kawhi AND LeBron. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread