What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think this is the funny thing about everyone saying he can't shoot from outside 8 feet in the basket. It isn't that he can't, it is more that he just didn't. those 11 attempts were end of quarter heaves basically, i think they just made a concious effort to not have him force working on his jumper this year. All signs so far are looking like he has been working on it this summer and it looks fine
So he’s good at shooting 3s and just decided not to?

i think this is the funny thing about everyone saying he can't shoot from outside 8 feet in the basket. It isn't that he can't, it is more that he just didn't. those 11 attempts were end of quarter heaves basically, i think they just made a concious effort to not have him force working on his jumper this year. All signs so far are looking like he has been working on it this summer and it looks fine
He shot 56% from the free throw line, there’s at least strong reason to believe he can’t (yet). 

Last edited by a moderator:
He shot 56% from the free throw line, there’s at least strong reason to believe he can’t (yet). 
i know he was horrendous to start the year and when they started doing the hack-a-Ben it was getting real bad. But he turned corner about halfway through the season and teams stopped that strategy cause it didn't work anymore. He certainly needs to keep working on it, but since January 1st i am guessing his FTs were better

ETA: though i def agree, the FTs are more important than the 3s. 

Last edited by a moderator:
we have discussed this for a good 30 pages. who knows? he started incorporasting more jump shots in the playoffs and was 10-12 feet from the basket. those shots looked fine. 
I’m guessing that if he could shoot well from the outside (especially 3s) he would. You said it’s not that he can’t it’s just that he didn’t. Why would he just choose not to?

Embiid is a perfect fit. He can defend the paint, switch, take some of the offensive load off Lebron through the first 46 minutes, and shoot. If healthy, he is every bit of the fit that Bosh was in his prime.
It took Bosh 2-3 years to adapt to that role though. 

I wouldn't want to trade Ingram either if I were a Lakers fan. I wouldn't give up much for Kawhi honestly. He's coming next summer regardless. I don't buy the story from yesterday that said they need to get him before LeBron will commit. I'm sure LeBron and George are keeping each other up to date as far as their individual plans are concerned.  
If the Lakers sign LBJ and George they won't be able to pay Kawhi market value next year. Even if he's determined to play in Los Angeles, it's claimed he has said the Clippers would be an acceptable option. Getting Kawhi in a trade this offseason is the only realistic way they can create this supersquad.

I’m guessing that if he could shoot well from the outside (especially 3s) he would. You said it’s not that he can’t it’s just that he didn’t. Why would he just choose not to?
:shrug: obviously coach decision, but shooting basically 0 3 pointers all season is certainly different then having a bad shot. it indicates it is much more of a choice by the team. I love how non-Sixers fans are bothered by this. Believe me, plenty of Sixers fans have been screaming at their TV for Ben to shoot when he is open with a 3. But it is what it is. i am sure he won't get an entire year again without any legit 3 point attempts and we can see

Then I'd be fine with George, LeBron, and the youngsters they have now. 
That's understandable, but the important question is does LeBron think it's okay? I don't think that team is beating the Warriors. He's not looking for a long term project.

If the Lakers sign LBJ and George they won't be able to pay Kawhi market value next year. Even if he's determined to play in Los Angeles, it's claimed he has said the Clippers would be an acceptable option. Getting Kawhi in a trade this offseason is the only realistic way they can create this supersquad.
I imagine they can find a way to get Deng's contract off the books for somebody who matches closely enough that expires this year at a much lower price than it will cost to trade for Leonard right now. That would get them closer.

well screw it. Steven A. Smith is confirming that Lebron and KD have talked about giong to LA and he thinks that will happen. I only know this because he was screaming it, so i was able to catch it. We can shut this thread down for a few weeks now, thankfully w have some real reporting going on now

That's understandable, but the important question is does LeBron think it's okay? I don't think that team is beating the Warriors. He's not looking for a long term project.
Fair enough. I am really big on Ingram and Ball. I think they could beat the Warriors in 2020, probably not next year. The Warriors won't stay together forever. 

it's not really a question of whether he can or can't right now.  it's whether he can actually improve his jump shot going forward. i guess some people would argue that he can't or won't, or at least not enough to enable him to be considered a truly elite player.

There aren't a whole lot of better options out there realistically. Boston and Houston would be the best bets, and they'd have to do some pretty complex maneuvering to get him on the team. Plus, he'd actually want to live/play in those cities - which there's been no indication is the case.

i know he was horrendous to start the year and when they started doing the hack-a-Ben it was getting real bad. But he turned corner about halfway through the season and teams stopped that strategy cause it didn't work anymore. He certainly needs to keep working on it, but since January 1st i am guessing his FTs were better

He actually shot worse from the FT line in the second half on the season (54.9%). 

I like how in many of these twitter fairy tales Boston is treading lightly because they're not sure about lingering Kahwi injuries but I haven't seen anyone mention how this might affect Lebron's decision.  

well screw it. Steven A. Smith is confirming that Lebron and KD have talked about giong to LA and he thinks that will happen. I only know this because he was screaming it, so i was able to catch it. We can shut this thread down for a few weeks now, thankfully w have some real reporting going on now
KD would go from villian to beloved.  Plus he could get a ring that matters.

Obviously we'd prefer to give up less, but I've always figured it might take something like that to get Leonard. If it meant the Lakers get George and James as well, I'm for it, but we can't know that for certain until Saturday night at the earliest. In the meantime we'd be stuck with the possibility that the roster consists of Lonzo, Leonard, and maybe a bunch of clowns - when they seem to have an opportunity to just get Leonard as a FA next year without having to give up anything. I hope that gives you a bit more understanding of how a Laker fan might see things at this moment.
Scared money don't make money.

There aren't a whole lot of better options out there realistically. Boston and Houston would be the best bets, and they'd have to do some pretty complex maneuvering to get him on the team. Plus, he'd actually want to live/play in those cities - which there's been no indication is the case.
I could see him going to LA regardless, certainly. But without Kawhi (or an equivalent third piece), that team isn't likely to get out of the west.

He actually shot worse from the FT line in the second half on the season (54.9%). 
:bag:  crap. Well his FT shooting didn't look that horrible as the season went on. You still have the "is he shooting with the correct hand?" argument, but from TMZ reporting it certainly doesn't seem like he is working on changing his shooting hand. I know he is working with Hanlan with Fultz and Embiid so hopefully that can help whatever is needed

I like how in many of these twitter fairy tales Boston is treading lightly because they're not sure about lingering Kahwi injuries but I haven't seen anyone mention how this might affect Lebron's decision.  
Oh c'mon Bobcat. Everyone knows Ainge is beloved to trade with and always offers fair deals for teams. Plenty of news out there that the impression is Celtics knew more about IT's injury and tried to screw over the Cavs, and that any team going to trade with Celtics knows it will be a headache and often not worth the effort

I could see him going to LA regardless, certainly. But without Kawhi (or an equivalent third piece), that team isn't likely to get out of the west.
LeBron, George and the current roster would be the 3rd best team in the division, at worst. An injury or two, the Laker youngsters improving could get them in the finals. If they clear Deng's deal they could another quality player or two this year or next. I think it's enough to satisfy the competitiveness quotient in terms of enticing James to show up.

He was up to 71% in the playoffs. But obviously an area to improve upon.

Your first sentence is why just going back to the Cavs never really left the table. Buy himself another year. Then LA may not make the most sense next year. 

Your first sentence is why just going back to the Cavs never really left the table. Buy himself another year. Then LA may not make the most sense next year. 
Sure, I think Cleveland is still very much in the mix for him and wouldn't be at all surprised to see him stay.

Dumb money don't make money either. Just ask Jimmy Buss. I bet he still lies in bed at night wondering why he got fired, thinking people just didn't understand the genius of his Deng deal.
I don't disagree, but look at the roster gymnastics that took place the last two times LeBron changed teams. If you dont want to deal with that then LeBron may not be the best one to pursue. It comes with the territory with him though.

he looked so defeated last year and just drained from playing with the Cavs, i have a hard time seeing him put himself through that again for another year. i don't remember seeing him like that any other year, maybe i just didn't notice

I may end up being wrong about this, but I think one of his criteria for moving is a better chance to beat the Warriors. Is just George enough? I dont think it is. I think there needs to be a #3 before worrying about the rest. 

he looked so defeated last year and just drained from playing with the Cavs, i have a hard time seeing him put himself through that again for another year. i don't remember seeing him like that any other year, maybe i just didn't notice
You mean, besides the last time he left Cleveland?

Memphis. They're already trying to get out of Parson's contract, doubt they want Deng's too.
it is pretty crazy they haven't been able to move off that Deng contract already. i am sure they have tried, and the years are getting less so it is more feasible, but there aren't really any teams looking to take on extra salary this year (i don't think), so have to think it will be hard for a team to take on that albatross

I don't disagree, but look at the roster gymnastics that took place the last two times LeBron changed teams. If you dont want to deal with that then LeBron may not be the best one to pursue. It comes with the territory with him though.
Making moves isn't the problem, they've already shown they can do that. Making suboptimal moves is what they need to avoid. Paying a high premium to get Leonard, when there's a chance you could get him next year at a much lower cost is suboptimal on its face. If James indicates the only way he plays for the Lakers is if Leonard is already on the team, maybe that changes. But even then, would LeBron prefer to wait a year for Leonard and be on a much better all around team? That's probably another argument for him waiting it out a year in Cleveland, assuming he's still o.k. with being in Cleveland. I really think there are more things in play for him than just wins on the court right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread