What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (1 Viewer)

strong said:
he's talented but like most rookies, there's going to be a lot of inconsistency, especially since jarvis landry isn't going anywhere.

i'd tell people to hold off on acquiring him just yet. there will be plenty of times this season to get callaway at a cheaper, less hyped point.
No there won't, because most of the owners that get him early are overly invested.  Unless they get desperate with other roster spots/injuries, Callaway is the kind of bolt of lightning they all see as a potential season winner ala Tyreek Hill.

I do agree with you that any rookie WR is going to be maddeningly inconsistent and tough to trust though.

Callaways TD last week, he was clocked at almost 25 MPH and that’s what T.Hill was clocked at, that’s impressive. The speed is there and he seems to have some serious skills, looking forward to tonight’s numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Callaways TD last week, he was clocked at almost 25 MPH and that’s what T.Hill was clocked at, that’s impressive. The speed is there and he seems to have so serious skills, looking forward to tonight’s numbers.

I can do 25 mph... but Calloway can't

Dorsey made sure he got Hill, for the same reasons he got Callaway...

and for those who didnt see preseason, Callaway did eactly what he did last week. He's just THAT good. Honestly... subtract his character concerns, and he's very likely to have been the first WR off the board

and for those who didnt see preseason, Callaway did eactly what he did last week. He's just THAT good. Honestly... subtract his character concerns, and he's very likely to have been the first WR off the board
I don't doubt he's talented.

I worry about the guy throwing the ball

as much as I hate tyrod, he CAN throw the deep ball.. maybe not extremely well, but he showed last week he can.

let's hope he hits it 2-3x tonight

Antonio Callaway caught 4-of-10 targets for 20 yards in the Browns' Week 3 win over the Jets.

Callaway should have had a much bigger night, but Tyrod Taylor missed him on a gimme 75-yard touchdown in the first half. He also committed a few drops and quit on a route that might have resulted in a catch. It was a decidedly mixed night for the Browns' new starting wideout, but his easy speed was on prominent display. With Baker Mayfield taking over at quarterback, Callaway could quickly push for WR3 status in fantasy leagues.

Sep 20 - 11:54 PM

He looks awesome. Never really left the field except for running packages.

Gotta remember, the kid is a rookie. But he checks a ton of boxes as far as I can see.

I agree he had first round talent. Similar to a Jalen Mills situation. Eagles took him 7th round but he was a 3rd round possible sleeper 2nd round talent if you subtract the character issues. 

He looks awesome. Never really left the field except for running packages.

Gotta remember, the kid is a rookie. But he checks a ton of boxes as far as I can see.
Don't rookie WR's see less time on running plays anyway since their blocking skills aren't there yet? I think Urban Meyer is a complete scumbag of the earth but one of the great things he did at Florida was his WR's learned how to block for the run game. 

Shame Mayfield had a game to win, and was "forced" to ensure there was no risk of turnovers, which really limited the kid's HR potential.

Sky is the limit, CBs can't cover him. Baker is going to have this kid has tyreek hill status sooner than later.

That 1st down grab he made was YUJJJJJ. Shame he missed that over the shoulder catch tho

Was succesful at adding Callaway back to all my leagues this week, cost me some coin, but with The Baker making the cake now, I expect a pay off in weeks to come.

Added him this week in my main leeg at no cost. 

Lovin' it.  

Future's so bright...

It’s not the 4-20 I’m happy about. It’s the 10 targets.

With Mayfield now at the helm, the quality of those targets just improved exponentially.

I'm happy about the targets and the impending QB change. The Browns looked like a different team with Mayfield at the helm.  

If Baker had those two early deep ball opportunities, fair to say he'd, at least, have been 5-70-1, if not 6-110-2. Those were two egregious underthrows that were easy TDs.

4 catches- 20 yards and everybody was happy about that night? Well I am too because I watched the game. He looked great. Hes a definite hold for now!
Were we watching the same game? This play was awful. Did Tyrod under throw him? Yes. It happens. Good players go up and get the ball or at least fight the DB off to avoid the INT (didn't get picked in this case, but it can happen). He tried to catch it in his lap. Tyrod even motioned to him after the play how she should have used his hands.

Later Tyrod tried to hit him in the back of the end zone... unfortunately Callaway ran the wrong route and was standing in front of the goal line.

Not a good game for the rook. If he doesn't learn to make a play on the ball and just expects them to all fall in his basket, he won't last. If raw athleticism was all it took to be an NFL receiver, Sammie Coates would be an all pro. Unfortunately, ball skills matter. And you gotta run the right routes.  :doh:

FF Ninja said:
Were we watching the same game? This play was awful. Did Tyrod under throw him? Yes. It happens. Good players go up and get the ball or at least fight the DB off to avoid the INT (didn't get picked in this case, but it can happen). He tried to catch it in his lap. Tyrod even motioned to him after the play how she should have used his hands.
I think Tyrod was scapegoating him a bit, as it was a very bad throw. That said, I agree that Callaway could have come back a bit on the ball, and is going to have to have more of a "my ball" mentality like his counterpart Landry if he wants to be heavily targeted going forward. Your points on proper route running is also fair - the key is whether he fine tunes his game or he becomes, as you say, another Sammie Coates/Cordarelle Patterson/Dorial Green-Beckham/Donte Stallworth with speed to burn but not much else.

I think Tyrod was scapegoating him a bit, as it was a very bad throw. That said, I agree that Callaway could have come back a bit on the ball, and is going to have to have more of a "my ball" mentality like his counterpart Landry if he wants to be heavily targeted going forward. Your points on proper route running is also fair - the key is whether he fine tunes his game or he becomes, as you say, another Sammie Coates/Cordarelle Patterson/Dorial Green-Beckham/Donte Stallworth with speed to burn but not much else.
It was definitely under thrown, but I wouldn't call it a very bad throw. A very bad throw is when the WR has no shot at it. Any time a WR has a chance to make a ~50 yard reception, it's a good enough throw. (A perfect throw and he's walking in a 75 yard TD, but most teams are still happy with a 50 yard play). You'd like to think the WR can win a 50/50 ball with a DB. A good WR at least tries to high point it. His hand positioning was just awful on that one. While people in here might be willing to overlook it and blame it on the QB, I guarantee you he's getting a mouthful in the WR room today.

He's only 5'11"... he's going to have to learn to fight for the ball. 

Ojaays said:
It’s not the 4-20 I’m happy about. It’s the 10 targets.

With Mayfield now at the helm, the quality of those targets just improved exponentially.
have the Browns stated that Mayfield is starting from here on out?

It was definitely under thrown, but I wouldn't call it a very bad throw. A very bad throw is when the WR has no shot at it. Any time a WR has a chance to make a ~50 yard reception, it's a good enough throw. (A perfect throw and he's walking in a 75 yard TD, but most teams are still happy with a 50 yard play). You'd like to think the WR can win a 50/50 ball with a DB. A good WR at least tries to high point it. His hand positioning was just awful on that one. While people in here might be willing to overlook it and blame it on the QB, I guarantee you he's getting a mouthful in the WR room today.

He's only 5'11"... he's going to have to learn to fight for the ball. 
This is going a little too far for me. Sure they’ll hopefully discuss with him going up for that ball but on the inside they’re probably salivating at the thought of how he could have easily had 2 layup tds if there were half decent throws. That’s 3 times in 2 weeks he’s gotten behind the defense with ease. That’s a good sign. I’d strongly disagree also that yesterday was a bad game for him. It’s 99% Tyrod’s fault that wasn’t a big play td. And largely Tyrod’s fault that he didn’t get a long td on the first drive as well. He tried to adjust to that awful throw and could/should have drawn a flag. Speaking of which, he drew at least 2 other flags from the secondary and I think he may have had a 3rd. And he drew one from Lattimore the previous week. Those are like first down receptions in the coaches minds.

When he saw a cb blitz coming on 3rd down on the Browns game winning drive, alerted Baker, ran the right hot route and was on the same page as Baker to connect on a first down reception- that’s good stuff also.  

This is going a little too far for me. Sure they’ll hopefully discuss with him going up for that ball but on the inside they’re probably salivating at the thought of how he could have easily had 2 layup tds if there were half decent throws. That’s 3 times in 2 weeks he’s gotten behind the defense with ease. That’s a good sign. I’d strongly disagree also that yesterday was a bad game for him. It’s 99% Tyrod’s fault that wasn’t a big play td. And largely Tyrod’s fault that he didn’t get a long td on the first drive as well. He tried to adjust to that awful throw and could/should have drawn a flag. Speaking of which, he drew at least 2 other flags from the secondary and I think he may have had a 3rd. And he drew one from Lattimore the previous week. Those are like first down receptions in the coaches minds.

When he saw a cb blitz coming on 3rd down on the Browns game winning drive, alerted Baker, ran the right hot route and was on the same page as Baker to connect on a first down reception- that’s good stuff also.  
I think it is just wishful thinking to put 99% on Tyrod. That pass went about 58 yards in the air. If a pass is off by 2 yards, the WR needs to come get it. Even good QBs don't always hit their guys in stride and I guarantee coaches would rather have a ball thrown a couple yards less and end up with a 50 yard reception than have it overthrown and lose a down. (of course they don't want several yards under thrown for an INT)

You're right that PIs are nice, but in the end coaches need to see guys fighting for the ball and catching the ball. That's the only way to keep a job in the NFL. There isn't exactly a short supply of 5'11" 4.4 guys who can also draw PIs. 

Users who are viewing this thread