What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (4 Viewers)

Have to say, I had no idea what the whole global entry program at NY/Laguardia was all about, but Cortez's theory makes sense here. - Trump appears to be pressuring Cuomo or the AG to drop the lawsuits and investigations of Trump Org.

Well yeah but that link is much, much stronger in an official who regularly leverages official acts and power for private benefit.
NY blocked immigration authorities from accessing DMV records and completing background checks for NY residents so Global Entry is turned off for those residents until the background checks can be completed.

Seems rather simple.  Not sure why it’s become a conspiracy theory.
So apparently Cortez was right, this was indeed happening.

The DHS has backed out of the policy...

....and admitted its stated reasons for implementing it were lies, in court.

In a filing related to the suit late Thursday, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Manhattan acknowledged that, in effect, New York had been singled out.

The filing said DHS and CPB "deeply regret the foregoing inaccurate or misleading statements and apologize to the court and (New York) for the need to make these corrections at this late stage."
NPR

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at those am i understanding the timeline here?

New york passes law that shuts off info to dhs.

Dhs cancels TTP for them in Feb.

New york sues.

New york ammends law in April to allow access to some info, but still blocks some info that DHS has allowed other states to block.

Dhs still claims that New York is only state that blocks them.

New York proves otherwise and DHS admits New York is correct and resinstates TTP. 

Is that right SID?

• Republican Rep. Ted Yoho on Saturday resigned from the board of the Christian anti-poverty organization Bread for the World days after he verbally attacked Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
  • The non-profit announced that it "sought [Yoho's] resignation" after determining that his attack on Ocasio-Cortez didn't reflect "the values of respect and compassion that Jesus calls on us to exhibit every day."
:thumbup:

Hard to imagine honestly  - her answers to the questions are pretty much cut an paste from any conservative candidate...maybe in person?
Who knows?  Right now it appears she has a good chance to win a seat. When she gets in maybe she will start tweeting.

Who knows?  Right now it appears she has a good chance to win a seat. When she gets in maybe she will start tweeting.
Everyone knows that followers on Twitter are true measure of greatness. :rolleyes:

Of course, in reality, I can't think of anything more shallow that thinking likes and followers on Twitter are important.

How does she have a good chance to win a seat? Here is the story of fundraising for the primary:

Esshaki raised $403,704, according to the most recent campaign finance report available. He supplied the campaign with a $100,000 personal loan and has $284,315 in remaining cash-on-hand.

Greco’s campaign raised $381,050, largely from a $275,000 personal loan from Greco herself. She had $99,175 left to spend on the race, as of June 30.

I would be shocked if any GOP candidates can flip this seat. Stevens won by a 7point margin with Trump carrying her district. I would be shocked if this race is within 10 points in 2020. I would be fairly surprised if Greco is even the GOP nominee. I see nothing particularly exciting about her candidacy. 

Everyone knows that followers on Twitter are true measure of greatness. :rolleyes:
 Nobody is claiming this.  

The Dude started the conversation by mentioning a hypothetical AOC on the right who was a “ young, strong female with social presence“.  If you’re interested in discussing this, I suggest you imagine what this young woman would be like. And, yes, think about how effective she would be at social media.

Nobody is claiming this.  

The Dude started the conversation by mentioning a hypothetical AOC on the right who was a “ young, strong female with social presence“.  If you’re interested in discussing this, I suggest you imagine what this young woman would be like. And, yes, think about how effective she would be at social media.
Also to my point unlike AOC she isn't rocking anything. Her policy platform is God and Freedom.  That could be anyone

GOP would love to have an AOC.  Young, strong female with social presence - just a different platform
Keep an eye on Lauren Boebert. She has 175k Twitter followers and primaried a multi-term rep in Colorado.

She's cute, pro-gun and pretty good at working social media. Not my cup of tea, politically, but I see the potential for a national explosion if things break right for her.
I think we need to focus less on looks and social media presence and more on sanity, intelligence,  and rationality.   

eta: I just looked her up on google and the first two tweets they posted talked about the 'lunatic left'. 

Keep an eye on Lauren Boebert. She has 175k Twitter followers and primaried a multi-term rep in Colorado.
She is a possibility as the GOP's AOC. However she would be terrible for the GOP nationally. However even though she is in a fairly red district, I expect her to lose. She really is out there.

Looking at those am i understanding the timeline here?

New york passes law that shuts off info to dhs.

Dhs cancels TTP for them in Feb.

New york sues.

New york ammends law in April to allow access to some info, but still blocks some info that DHS has allowed other states to block.

Dhs still claims that New York is only state that blocks them.

New York proves otherwise and DHS admits New York is correct and resinstates TTP. 

Is that right SID?
The agency had already lifted its ban in April. I think the above is an interesting way to put it except DOJ admitted that DHS had done what NY State had a accused it of - singling it out and lying about its motivation in the first place and all along.

These revelations undermine a central argument in defendants’ briefs and declarations to date: that CBP is not able to assure itself of an applicant’s low-risk status because New York fails to share relevant DMV information with CBP for TTP purposes. Because this argument supplies the rationale for the TTP Decision, see AR 2-3, and supports defendants’ defense of the TTP Decision, defendants have determined that the proper course of action is to withdraw their motion to dismiss and motion for summary judgment.
DOJ and DHS don't say what the original motivation was but they have now said that their original claim was false. I guess you can suppose just as well as Cortez what that original, true motivation was but if it wasn't policy based IMO it had to be political.

I'm not a Boebert supporter in any way, shape or form. I'm just telling you that if a year from now we are seeing the left's heads' exploding and the right responding with, "Why are you all so obsessed with a freshman congresswoman?" that this is the gal TakiToki on FBG told y'all to look out for.

I'm not a Boebert supporter in any way, shape or form. I'm just telling you that if a year from now we are seeing the left's heads' exploding and the right responding with, "Why are you all so obsessed with a freshman congresswoman?" that this is the gal TakiToki on FBG told y'all to look out for.
"I'm not a witch." 

And that was pre-election, and the left was pretty all-over Christine O'Donnell. And also the weirdos from Nevada and Alaska looking for national office.

As such it wasn't the "obsessed" part. It was the right acting as if she had more power than she did. Or as if she was the spokesperson for the party. Which she wasn't and didn't.

Well, she's not wrong about that.  We've been living it every day, 24/7 for at least the last 4 years.
Yeah, that's not the type of talk I would like out of politicians and leaders.   I would hope for more than Twitter trolls looking for clicks out of people in positions like this.  :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread