Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The idiot who honks one millisecond after the light turns green

Makes me stabby every time. Is there a worse guy out there?

Statisticslly speaking, some of you guys must do this. Wish there were a way to out you all and then permaban. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put your phone down and pay attention. 

It's rare that anybody honks milliseconds after a light turns green. It's more likely that the person who is sitting there not moving is distracted enough not to realize that what they think is a mill

3  to 5 seconds green, and you havent moved, you're getting a honk.   I'm that guy.   COME AT ME BRO

It's rare that anybody honks milliseconds after a light turns green. It's more likely that the person who is sitting there not moving is distracted enough not to realize that what they think is a millisecond is actually many seconds.  

• Like 39
18 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

It's rare that anybody honks milliseconds after a light turns green. It's more likely that the person who is sitting there not moving is distracted enough not to realize that what they think is a millisecond is actually many seconds.  

:No:

• Love 2
  • Sad 1

here we have the opposite problem. someone could stroke out & die at the green light and people will just wait for EMS to come clear the body out before they drive away.

Yeah, count of three and you're getting a horn tap from me. If it's a short turn light, I might even hold it for a beat or two just for being an inconsiderate db. Nothing more annoying as a driver than people flaking at short lights.

Edited by Apple Jack
spelling is hard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Honking is never right on a green light when driver ahead not paying attention. It's a horn tap ("tink tink") there, not a honk. Honk there should be illegal. Honk for any reason, other than to avoid an accident, in a residential neighborhood should be a jailable offense.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Yeah, count of three and you're getting a horn tap from me. If it's a short turn light, I might even hold it for a beat or two just for being an inconsiderate db. Nothing more annoying as a driver than people flaking at short lights.

This x 1,000. 

Nothing worse than the lights that stay green for like 10 seconds and being stuck behind some idiot who is playing with their phone and doesn't realize it is green. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Engelberg said:

Spot on. My wife hates when I do this, thinks she's going to get shot by someone with road rage.

I do this if people tailgate me when I'm going at least the speed limit.

But, if I get honked at because I was daydreaming on a green light, I give the "sorry" wave and get going.  

• Like 1

I don't honk but I like to count the reaction time once the light turns green. It's amazing how often it's 5+ seconds before the brake lights go off and the lead car starts rolling.

32 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I make sure to take extra time and accelerate very slowly if I get honked at.  Will usually drive 5-10 mph under the limit until they pass me

Good post!!

However, the number of red light runners is out of control. For your safety or your family's safety, you need to take that couple second pause before going on green.  Now over five seconds, I start doing the creep up on the bumper move (especially when I am in my Tahoe) --longer than that, you are getting a honk.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

3  to 5 seconds green, and you havent moved, you're getting a honk.   I'm that guy.

COME AT ME BRO

I’m not talking about you. I’m talking about the jack hole who honks after one second. Even if you’re paying close attention, it takes that long to take your foot off the brake and put it on the gas and then start to accelerate. 

1 hour ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

You betcha; those yoopers at the stop and go lights sure do tick me off, cripes.

Hey, some people need to get down to the wayside to get some new swampers before they can go smeltin', doncha know.

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

This x 1,000. 

Nothing worse than the lights that stay green for like 10 seconds and being stuck behind some idiot who is playing with their phone and doesn't realize it is green. 

Ok that doesn’t happen.  10 seconds is criminal. 

We should have another horn choice. Maybe a gentle "toot" for someone spaces out at a red light or maybe kind of drifting into your lane. Or your wife is walking out the grocery store unsure of where you parked. Or when you pull up to your moms retirement home, to let her know you've arrived.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nipsey said:

Honking is never right on a green light when driver ahead not paying attention. It's a horn tap ("tink tink") there, not a honk. Honk there should be illegal. Honk for any reason, other than to avoid an accident, in a residential neighborhood should be a jailable offense.

What is the appropriate honk for a street whore?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Ok that doesn’t happen.  10 seconds is criminal. 

It does happen. Not often, but there are a few lights near me that literally stay green for only 10, maybe 15 seconds.  Usually when they are left turns or something on to a busy street. And you only get the green every 2 1/2 minutes or so.  Ugh. 

3 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I make sure to take extra time and accelerate very slowly if I get honked at.  Will usually drive 5-10 mph under the limit until they pass me

What if it’s been a few seconds?

I think there's a variance in patience here. I'm generally attentive, I think, and I'm pausing before incurring such action. Others' mileages may vary, as the saying goes.   

Edited by rockaction

This is regional too. I grew up in MN and went to college here too. It’s RARE for someone here to ever use the horn. My roommate was from Chicago and honked all the time. It embarrassed me when I rode with him. 

Then I moved to Chicago and lived there for 10 years and I got used to honking/getting honked at. If you’re not moving when the light turns?  Honk. Changing lanes and the guy won’t let you in so you start to creep?  Honks were even a good sign (like if the lane was backed way up but someone was trying to turn out of a parking lot into the road you’d give a ‘beep beep’ to indicate that the could go ahead of you). 

Now that I moved back I’ve had to change again because honking here is tantamount to declaring war apparently. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

This is regional too. I grew up in MN and went to college here too. It’s RARE for someone here to ever use the horn. My roommate was from Chicago and honked all the time. It embarrassed me when I rode with him. 

Then I moved to Chicago and lived there for 10 years and I got used to honking/getting honked at. If you’re not moving when the light turns?  Honk. Changing lanes and the guy won’t let you in so you start to creep?  Honks were even a good sign (like if the lane was backed way up but someone was trying to turn out of a parking lot into the road you’d give a ‘beep beep’ to indicate that the could go ahead of you). 

Now that I moved back I’ve had to change again because honking here is tantamount to declaring war apparently. 

Interesting regional take on what is East Coast Standard. Never think about it that way. Horns down, hook 'em, I guess not.  

17 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

What if it’s been a few seconds?

Then I give a polite wave and go.   I should have clarified that my behavior was for the people that beep if I don’t floor it the second it turns green

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Otis said:

I’m not talking about you. I’m talking about the jack hole who honks after one second. Even if you’re paying close attention, it takes that long to take your foot off the brake and put it on the gas and then start to accelerate. 

Schtick I use ... when leaving work, if one of my coworkers is first at the red light, he gets the looong insta-honk the milasecond that light goes green.

Always makes me belly laugh the rest of my ride home.

• Like 4

its Green... GO!

I am only this bad with the one light near my house on weekday mornings that is super quick and if you have to wait another revolution for it to be green it takes just short of forever. Mind you, this is off of a residential street onto a 4 lane road so the only people at that light, again on a weekday morning,  should already know that it is green for literally 6 seconds. 

Otherwise, wait a few seconds, give the gentle "honk, honk" and move on!

5 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Schtick I use ... when leaving work, if one of my coworkers is first at the red light, he gets the looong insta-honk the milasecond that light goes green.

Always makes me belly laugh the rest of my ride home.

Schtick = < 0

Edited by rockaction
2 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

This feels very much like NY thing. Nobody north of Ft. Lauderdale and South of Nashville would ever consider "instahonking". Terrible look.

Give it a few years and everyone will "instahonk." You just get used to it.  

Monday a.m. I was at a drive thru getting coffee.

I'm 3rd car from the pickup window. First car drives off. Guy in front of me doesn't move.

Waiting. Drive thru worker sticks his arm out the window and waves the guy to come up. Still doesn't move.

Quick honk. Dude puts down his phone and drives up to the window.

Am I "that guy"?

4 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

This x 1,000. 

Yep. I have an hour commute each way and every single day I get stuck behind someone who doesn't move when the light turns green. I wait 3ish seconds and then they get honked at, no horn tap then.

Its almost always a woman, either fixing her hair/lipstick/whatever in the rear view mirror or leaned over going through her purse in the front seat. I find it infuriating. People are bad enough drivers as it is, or insist on driving 10mph under the speed limit. Don't need to sit at another signal because somebody is not paying attention.