What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Taysom Hill, NO (4 Viewers)

It is FFPC SF and you aren't allowed to roster more than 3 QBs coming out of the startup and he was at the limit. So he put Cousins OTB for a couple hours, got no bites and took Deebo instead. 

TAYSOM HILL QB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Sean Payton said on the Dan Patrick Show that Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston will compete for the team's starting job. 

"I've told both of them, 'The two of you are gonna compete for this position. They understand it," Payton said. "They'll come in. We've already had a chance to see both of them to some degree." Payton's comments confirm what fantasy managers have feared: That we won't know the Saints starting QB until the summer, perhaps just weeks before the regular season kicks off. Hill provides tantalizing rushing upside, and is more likely to become an every-week starter in 2021 fantasy leagues. He'll remain a threat to take away touchdowns from Winston even if Payton names Winston as the team's starter. 

RELATED: 

Jameis Winston

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter 

Mar 16, 2021, 11:50 AM ET

Yeah I was really hoping they would give Winston a starter's contract or that he would sign elsewhere. This is my worst nightmare as an owner of both of them in SF. Not terrible, though, but was hoping to sell one or both before the NFL draft. I might go with the assumption that Winston is the one worth keeping and try to sell Hill for whatever I can get. Rostering both is probably not practical in FFPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was really hoping they would give Winston a starter's contract or that he would sign elsewhere. This is my worst nightmare as an owner of both of them in SF. Not terrible, though, but was hoping to sell one or both before the NFL draft. I might go with the assumption that Winston is the one worth keeping and try to sell Hill for whatever I can get. Rostering both is probably not practical in FFPC.
I hoped the same thing. My best guess is Winston takes the Brees role and Hill is used in the same situations he was last year (mostly around the goal line). That offense desperately needs to be able to throw downfield and open things up. 

No way to prove it but I think they started Hill over Winston because they didn't want any controversy or disruption when Brees came back. Not that Winston is amazing, but after seeing him throw 50 years downfield it'd be pretty jarring to go back to Brees and his ten yard slants. 

Hill played better than I expected last season, but it's hard to imagine him being an effective long term NFL QB with his accuracy issues and what looks like (to me) a weak arm. It would surely help two of my dynasty teams, but I just don't see it.
I think giving him a few gadget plays a game is a better plan. Could hurt Jameis if they are goal line plays.

A beat writer mentioned that he thought they may use Taysom less as a gadget guy if Jameis gets the starting gig. Called it a luxury that they could afford when they had three QBs. Not sure I buy that. 

There’s also this voice in my head that keeps telling me Payton’s ego will want to prove to the world that he was right about Hills “specialness.”

A beat writer mentioned that he thought they may use Taysom less as a gadget guy if Jameis gets the starting gig. Called it a luxury that they could afford when they had three QBs.
:confused:

The Saints still have three QBs -- rookie Ian Book is a virtual hammer lock for the opening day roster. I can see the Saints not wanting Book to be pressed in as the #2, but otherwise ... not sure what that writer is talking about.

:confused:

The Saints still have three QBs -- rookie Ian Book is a virtual hammer lock for the opening day roster. I can see the Saints not wanting Book to be pressed in as the #2, but otherwise ... not sure what that writer is talking about.
Thx for this. Didn’t smell right regardless. 

There’s also this voice in my head that keeps telling me Payton’s ego will want to prove to the world that he was right about Hills “specialness.”
I’ve heard the argument “why are we wondering what they’ll do, they had the same choices last year and went 3-1.” Thomas still saw a ton of targets but IIRC Kamara, while still effective, saw a decrease. But my expectation is no matter who is the QB both their studs will eat.

I have no confidence in whoever they decide is their WR2/3/4 regardless. But Troutnan is intriguing.

Do people ever consider a Saints QB in start 1 leagues? I would think no.

I’ve heard the argument “why are we wondering what they’ll do, they had the same choices last year and went 3-1.” Thomas still saw a ton of targets but IIRC Kamara, while still effective, saw a decrease. But my expectation is no matter who is the QB both their studs will eat.

I have no confidence in whoever they decide is their WR2/3/4 regardless. But Troutnan is intriguing.

Love 🐟 man this year. For QB, depends on scoring system. 

Yes, I drafted both this offseason.  I like Winston, but hedged my bet some by taking Hill even later.

QB Taysom Hill worked with the first team offense to begin Saints training camp.

Sean Payton said that the first team quarterback will change daily, but New Orleans is clearly holding a true quarterback competition. The Athletic's Katherine Terrell reported that Jameis Winston "looked the part" of the Saints next quarterback in practice. The Athletic's Larry Holder also reported that Winston was "throwing darts left and right with the second unit." It's possible that Winston is actually the favorite to start, with Payton was simply showing deference to Hill, who has been in New Orleans since 2017. Fantasy managers should be open to all possibilities here, including Winton and Hill forming a quarterback by committee this season.

RELATED: 

Jameis Winston

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 30, 2021, 9:18 AM ET

My league uses team QBs. They could use all 3 in the same game and you get to count all 3 as 1.

I'm not in any leagues that use team QBs - but I think leagues like that are the only one's where I can trust this situation. I just dealt Winston/Hill in a dynasty league because I just can't trust Peyton not to rotate  these guys in and out during a game - that's how smart he thinks he is.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

"Sean Payton said after practice that the roles would rotate so the team can get a look at how both fit within the starting offense... While both Winston and Hill completed a high percentage of their passes, Winston clearly had the better day throwing the football."
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1421102108124893188?s=21

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

"All but one of Hill's completions appeared to travel fewer than 7 or 8 yards past the line of scrimmage, and both of his incompletions came on his downfield attempts. Three of those completions came either at or behind the line of scrimmage."
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1421102111283154948?s=21

I feel as though most days Winston will have the better day throwing the football. And correct me if I'm wrong as I'm trying to multi-task here, but the second quote is saying Hill had a tough time throwing the ball down field, and most of his completions were short little guys. This competition will all depend on what type of offense they are going to run. Downfield passing will be Winston, mobile QB/short passing game will be Hill, or it will be the dreaded QBBC.

I feel as though most days Winston will have the better day throwing the football. And correct me if I'm wrong as I'm trying to multi-task here, but the second quote is saying Hill had a tough time throwing the ball down field, and most of his completions were short little guys. This competition will all depend on what type of offense they are going to run. Downfield passing will be Winston, mobile QB/short passing game will be Hill, or it will be the dreaded QBBC.
Yeah, Winston is always going to look great throwing the ball. His problems come when asked to make decisions under pressure as he seems to always default to yolo ball. 

there is going to be FF value in N.O., Sean Payton is not going to change anything simple because Brees retired.remember, Payton is as stubborn as a mule. This offense should still be the fling it and wing it variety. sleeper offensive production since everyone figures the Saints are dead. 

I don't get the negativity around a qbbc.  I can't remember a truly legitimate one in the NFL (if there was one, it was from before my time) and the idea of it happening is genuinely exciting.  Even in fantasy I can see Hill having stand alone value by him also rushing and receiving during game days while splitting qb reps.

Sign me up for this train as my backup in 1 qbs and a longshot no2 in superflex if I'm going hero qb.

Taysom Hill was 6-for-13 for 86 yards and no touchdowns in the Saints' Week 2 preseason win against the Jaguars. 

Hill's flat performance following Jameis Winston's monster night (123 yards and two touchdowns) may have ended the QB competition in New Orleans. Though he brings a rushing element to the position, Hill simply can't make the throws Winston can make. Monday night's performance made that crystal clear. NewOrleans.football's Nick Underhill declared the quarterback competition over after the Monday night game. "There is no longer anything to debate," Underhill said. Hill should have some role in the Saints offense this season, possibly as a goal line spoiler. It's only a matter of time before head coach Sean Payton names Winston the team's starter.

I don't get the negativity around a qbbc.  I can't remember a truly legitimate one in the NFL (if there was one, it was from before my time) and the idea of it happening is genuinely exciting.  Even in fantasy I can see Hill having stand alone value by him also rushing and receiving during game days while splitting qb reps.

Sign me up for this train as my backup in 1 qbs and a longshot no2 in superflex if I'm going hero qb.
A redraft league I just did that's 2QB had some QBs get away from me at certain points when I was at the end of runs and such. I have Jalen Hurts, Trey Lance (who I believe starts sooner rather than later) and Taysom Hill. I'm thinking Hill gets more play at QB than years past (aside from when he was the starter obviously). Plus his time at his other positions, he still may be somewhat useful to those in dire need of a second QB, especially if he plays more by the goaline.

Taysom Hill completed his only pass for three yards in the Saints' Week 1 win over Green Bay, adding two rushes for one yard. 

Hill got a goal line direct snap in the first half and was immediately stuffed by the Packers' front seven. Jameis Winston then re-entered the game and threw a touchdown to Juwan Johnson. Fantasy managers should expect Sean Payton to continue using Hill as a gadget player, sometimes to the detriment of Winston's touchdown upside. Hill should be rostered in superflex formats.

Taysom Hill rushed six times for 28 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' Week 4 loss to the Giants, also throwing an interception. 

Hill notched two of the Saints' three scores, taking both Jameis Winston and Alvin Kamara out of the game near the goal line. Hill's eight-yarder in the third quarter was an extremely rugged, tackle-breaking extravaganza. His eight-yarder in the fourth came on the exact same play, but he faced less resistance. Unfortunately for the Saints, Hill reminded why he is so rarely called to pass, as his pick was a laughable deep-ball underthrow, the kind of which he has put on film over and over again. Hill simply does not have an NFL-caliber arm. He will continue to operate as a red zone and short-yardage weapon in Week 5 vs. Washington.

Taysom Hill was carted to the locker room in Week 5 against Washington with an apparent injury. 

Jameis Winston targeted Hill on a deep ball in the second quarter and Hill took a vicious shot to the head as the pass fell incomplete. He appeared dazed on the field as teammates urged him to stay down. Hill was eventually carted to the Saints locker room. The loss of Hill would have major fantasy ramifications for both Winston and Alvin Kamara, who scored a touchdown a few plays after Hill went down. 

RELATED: 

Alvin Kamara

, Jameis Winston

Oct 10, 2021, 1:59 PM ET

Saints head coach Sean Payton said Taysom Hill is "progressing" and "on schedule" in his recovery from a concussion. 

Whether Hill is "on schedule" for the team's Week 9 matchup against the Falcons is anyone's guess. Hill suffered a brain injury in Week 5 against Washington on a helmet-to-helmet hit as Hill pursued a deep throw from Jameis Winston. He hasn't practiced since and remains in the league's concussion protocol. Winston's season-ending ACL injury in Week 8 would make Hill the Saints' presumed starter going forward. Trevor Siemian would be under center if Hill is again sidelined this week. Hill has QB1 upside with his rushing prowess. His takeover of the team's offense is probably bad news for New Orleans pass catchers. 

RELATED: 

Trevor Siemian

SOURCE: Saints on Twitter 

Nov 2, 2021, 11:49 AM ET

I like Taysom, but I’m not sure he would have won that game on Sunday after Winston went down. Siemian gets the ball out quicker and plays a little more under control.

He's going to be the guy right? What are the Saints saying?
The Saints are saying nothing -- not even read-between-the-lines coachspeak or cryptic teammate tweets. Sean Payton never tips his cards.

Some local fans believe Hill is automatically elevated to starting QB once he clears concussion protocol. I disagree that the starting job goes to a healthy Hill automatically -- I'd say right now that Trevor Siemian is a slight favorite to start the Atlanta game.

All the same, I have waiver claims in for Hill. 

Taysom Hill (concussion) returned to practice Wednesday.

Beat writer Nick Underhill left the door open for either Hill or Trevor Siemian to make the start this week against the Falcons and noted the Saints didn't make anything clear as to what their plan is under center after Jameis Winston's Week 8 torn ACL. Hill hasn't played since being concussed in Week 5.

Nov 3, 2021, 3:29 PM ET

Keep em guessing and perhaps Payton doesn't even know yet? I would think by today or tomorrow that choice will be known, at least by the head coaching staff. I imagine Coach Payton will be asked once again later this afternoon.

Keep em guessing and perhaps Payton doesn't even know yet? I would think by today or tomorrow that choice will be known, at least by the head coaching staff. I imagine Coach Payton will be asked once again later this afternoon.
IIRC last year he waited until the very end to announce Taysom was the guy over Jameis as well. 

Picked up Hill, but I'm not particularly happy about it. We'll see what the coaching decision is like, but I could see Siemian starting with Hill as gadget back-up. Even if he is starting we need to see what his rushing usage is. 

I can't complain too much, I've got Mahomes, but I'm hesitant with Hill until I'm proven wrong (which I hope I am)

IIRC last year he waited until the very end to announce Taysom was the guy over Jameis as well. 

He did and that really pissed me off in one league. I had to make a roster cutdown decision and Taysom was the obvious choice if Jameis was the starter. Instead, I finally had to cut another player (that turned out to have some value) and then found out Taysom was the backup.  :kicksrock:

Picked up Hill, but I'm not particularly happy about it. We'll see what the coaching decision is like, but I could see Siemian starting with Hill as gadget back-up. Even if he is starting we need to see what his rushing usage is. 

I can't complain too much, I've got Mahomes, but I'm hesitant with Hill until I'm proven wrong (which I hope I am)
I have a feeling this is what he will do. Surprised me last year when he went with Taysom.

Taysom Hill (concussion) was upgraded to a full practice on Thursday.

The Saints have been very cagey about whether Hill or Trevor Siemian will start in pressers this week, but it certainly seems to be trending in the right direction for Hill to be an impact runner on Sunday against the Falcons. Hill is QB12 in RotoPat's rankings this week and provided at least 33 rushing yards in every game he started last year. 

Nov 4, 2021, 4:28 PM ET

Trevor Siemian to start in Week 9 vs. Falcons

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Trevor Siemian will start Week 9 against the Falcons. 

Rapoport added it's not "a surprise considering how poised he was in relief last week," when Siemian threw for 159 yards and a touchdown in relief of Jameis Winston (knee, IR) in an upset win over Tampa. It's unclear if Siemian is starting against Atlanta because he acquitted himself well in Week 8 or because Taysom Hill (concussion) isn't ready to suit up a month after he suffered a brain injury against Washington. Siemian becomes a reasonable superflex option against a bottom-dwelling Atlanta secondary. Hill should be held as a bench stash for now, though there's no telling if or when he'll return. Siemian has a chance to solidify himself as the Saints' rest-of-season starter with another solid outing in Week 9. 
I'm genuinely surprised, although at least it conclusively resolves my "Hill vs Tua" debate for this week. Will be curious to see how much Hill's health played into the decision.

It feels like they want to get Hill to shake off rust before throwing him out there (he hasn't had a full week of practice yet), but also it's a bit of an indictment of his current skill as a QB. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him named the starter next week.

Users who are viewing this thread