What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike McCarthy fired (2 Viewers)

Ghost Rider said:
If the Packers are smart, they will get a hard-nosed defensive-minded head coach. 
Why?

Given the incredible amount of "starts lost" due to defensive player injuries, I think Pettine has been a revelation.  GB is 3rd in sacks and generally kept them in every game.  In today's offense, if you can limit any team to ~20 points, you should win with Rodgers at the helm

I'm on the bandwagon for a young offensive minded coach that will be creative and work with Rodgers well.  Keep Pettine, imo.

coyote5 said:
Please No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh
+1  

No thanks to McDaniels as well.

Need someone young and ascending.

Why?

Given the incredible amount of "starts lost" due to defensive player injuries, I think Pettine has been a revelation.  GB is 3rd in sacks and generally kept them in every game.  In today's offense, if you can limit any team to ~20 points, you should win with Rodgers at the helm

I'm on the bandwagon for a young offensive minded coach that will be creative and work with Rodgers well.  Keep Pettine, imo.
Agreed.  The league is in the midst of an offensive revolution.  Grabbing a hard nosed defensive coach and hoping for success with ball control and 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality is a recipe for mediocrity.

Arians is a popular guy nowadays, I know he says he wants to go to Cleveland and Cleveland only, but...hard to pass on Aaron Rodgers.

Arians is a popular guy nowadays, I know he says he wants to go to Cleveland and Cleveland only, but...hard to pass on Aaron Rodgers.
I know the Packers have been a successful organization, but it is clear the Browns are trending up more so than the Packers. Doesn't hurt that Rodgers is 35 and Mayfield is 23. I think Arians would especially love to work with the skill players they have on the Browns. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the Packers have a successful organization, but it is clear the Browns are trending up more so than the Packers. Doesn't hurt that Rodgers is 35 and Mayfield is 23. I think Arians would especially love to work with the skill players they have on the Browns. 

Yeah this is what I think too. I'd like to think the Packers are closer to a Superbowl than the Browns, but that's simply not true. This is one of the worst Packer teams in a long time

I know the Packers have a successful organization, but it is clear the Browns are trending up more so than the Packers. Doesn't hurt that Rodgers is 35 and Mayfield is 23. I think Arians would especially love to work with the skill players they have on the Browns. 
It's not hard to trend up from zero.

The issue with the Browns has always been the owner. Unless that's changing, no thanks.  Mayfield has also played 12 games so let's chill it with the love on that kid.  It's a no-brainer to go to the Packers if you had the choice.

It's not hard to trend up from zero.

The issue with the Browns has always been the owner. Unless that's changing, no thanks.  Mayfield has also played 12 games so let's chill it with the love on that kid.  It's a no-brainer to go to the Packers if you had the choice.
honestly the owner doesn't concern me too much with Dorsey at the helm.

Packers will rebound quickly.  They had a solid 2018 draft and are setup for an even better 2019 draft.  There is some good young talent on the team to develope and build with.  Gutey has some money to spend to fill larger holes too.  I'm not worried that Rodgers won't get another chance at a SB.

honestly the owner doesn't concern me too much with Dorsey at the helm.
I recall folks here in DC saying the same thing about Marty.

Then the owner canned him because he wanted more control so he could play with his toy.

Owners can sink franchises in all sorts of ways.

coyote5 said:
Please No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh No Harbaugh
To be clear, I mean EITHER Harbaugh.  Woof.

I'd like to see McCarthy go to Cleveland and succeed.  
Jason Wilde thinks McCarthy will take a year off. He will be paid by the Packers next year. Also has a home in GB and two kids either in high school or about to start high school. May refresh him as well.

I'd like to see McCarthy go to Cleveland and succeed.  
Yeah, I have no ill will towards MM.  I think he's been a really good coach for us, but it's time for a fresh start for both sides.  I can easily see this being an Andy Reid situation.  Hopefully more for the Packers lol

I recall folks here in DC saying the same thing about Marty.

Then the owner canned him because he wanted more control so he could play with his toy.

Owners can sink franchises in all sorts of ways.
Didn't the Colts have a GM when Irsay personally orchestrated the Trent Richardson trade? Lol. Case in point. 

Please PM me your address so I can stop by and punch you in the nuts.
I saw his Denver reign close up.  I followed his Colts debacle as did most everybody.  I do not want this man as a our coach, though I do note that several Coaches pooped the sheets on their first stint before getting things right, cases in Point Belichick and Carroll.  maybe as an Offensive Coordinator, but not as the man.

Just something about his demeanor where I do not ever suspect he can command the respect of men, not without Belichick standing directly behind him.

Welcome to the party!  There is flat beer and stale appetizers to the left.
I know this party quite well having spent the 70's and the 80's attending it on a weekly basis. I think I am going to miss the party down the hall where it is livelier, the girls are prettier, but they **** punch you just before you are set to take them home.  That's the one I have been attending the last 7 years.

I know this party quite well having spent the 70's and the 80's attending it on a weekly basis. I think I am going to miss the party down the hall where it is livelier, the girls are prettier, but they **** punch you just before you are set to take them home.  That's the one I have been attending the last 7 years.
I've never been.  :kicksrock:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Panthers interviewed former Packers’ coach Mike McCarthy for their head-coaching job after their game against the Colts on Sunday.

McCarthy took the 2019 season off but reportedly is looking to return ahead of the 2020 season. His well-documented relationship with Aaron Rodgers was rocky at times, but the Packers certainly enjoyed plenty of success on their way to winning 125-of-204 regular season games (62%) from 2006-2018.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 23, 2019, 4:27 PM ET

Sounds like due diligence, who knows if it's serious. 

Does anyone really buy McCarthy's one-year rebrand as a big forward-thinking analytics guy? Nah

Yeah this is what I think too. I'd like to think the Packers are closer to a Superbowl than the Browns, but that's simply not true. This is one of the worst Packer teams in a long time
Can you say my team will be really bad next year please?

Can you say my team will be really bad next year please?
Dug back deep on that one lol. I'm honored to have a stalker. 

December 2018 the Packers looked horrible, under McCarthy, and the Browns were trending up. 

Packers look great with a competent coach. McCarthy was a great coach... 12 years ago

Dug back deep on that one lol. I'm honored to have a stalker. 
Not really that deep....current page. Looking to read that current news and came across your prediction. It was kinda of funny but illustrates how much we really don’t know. I can speak to that with all the Bears and Rams littered on my entire season long teams that won’t be contributing after next week. 

Not really that deep....current page. Looking to read that current news and came across your prediction. It was kinda of funny but illustrates how much we really don’t know. I can speak to that with all the Bears and Rams littered on my entire season long teams that won’t be contributing after next week. 
To be fair to Doctor Dan this current Packer team is a completely different Packer team than last year, and not just record wise. The additions of LaFleur, the Smiths, Savage and the health of Rodgers have all been big difference makers. Had McCarthy had this defense their record would have been better last year as well, not 12-3 better, but better.

why would he take a year off and goto Carolina? QB situation is murky at best.
McCarthy might not have a lot of options.  I wouldn't hire him.  It'll be interesting to see if the Panthers want him to develop a young quarterback like he did with Rodgers or go with Cam.  I have the feeling the Panthers' new owner David Tepper wants this to be "his team" which could explain why Cam might be leaving.  But then again, they maybe haven't decided whether they are actually going to trade Cam.  Telling people they want to trade Cam might just be to get teams to do their due diligence on Cam and see how much they could get for Cam in a trade.  It could also be posturing before resigning Cam to a long term contract.

I bet the Packers have languished since they fired this Super Bowl winning coach. 

What have they done you ask?

Go 12-3, win the North, and do it with a rookie head coach who at one time was the back up QB for GB. 

Aaron Rodgers looks pretty average but they are winning games and Divisions. 

Users who are viewing this thread