What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devin Singletary, NYG (4 Viewers)

Meh. Guy can't even juke a linebacker.
4/70 is 17.5 yards per carry.  toss in a 5/28 in a game where the bills looked like garbage for two quarters and then realized they had a running back.

I'm guessing you have him in a big money league and didn't like what you saw in the first half.

R-E-L-A-X.

4/70 is 17.5 yards per carry.  toss in a 5/28 in a game where the bills looked like garbage for two quarters and then realized they had a running back.

I'm guessing you have him in a big money league and didn't like what you saw in the first half.

R-E-L-A-X.
I think he was just mocking himself at jumping the gun. I think so anyway.

Anyone who watched the game care to share some insight on what the usage was like today? He had a goose egg for a while, then only had the reception (I believe)...then suddenly had 70 yds on the ground. 

It seemed like for 3 quarter, he didn't touch the ball.  Then you look up and he's got nearly 100 yards

The Bills are lucky to have gotten the win. Just when they finally getting Frank Gore into rhythm, they got away from him for the rookie. 

Anyone who watched the game care to share some insight on what the usage was like today? He had a goose egg for a while, then only had the reception (I believe)...then suddenly had 70 yds on the ground. 
Bills threw the ball a ton to start the game. The Jets have a great D-line and they were clearly going to come out to stuff the LOS while keeping a safety deep, so the Bills took advantage and kept throwing tons of short to intermediate passes.

The 3rd quarter was pretty much a wash as the Jets had some long drives and the Bills had their one drive that was just the one run stuffed for a safety.

What's interesting is that the Bills really were going out and spreading it out. Out of all of their pass plays, they kept the RB in to block just once.

When the Bills got Singletary involved in the 4th, he ripped off a number of big plays. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but he showed a lot of vision, patience and ability to setup defenders. It also helped when Mosley for hurt and went out.

Bills threw the ball a ton to start the game. The Jets have a great D-line and they were clearly going to come out to stuff the LOS while keeping a safety deep, so the Bills took advantage and kept throwing tons of short to intermediate passes.

The 3rd quarter was pretty much a wash as the Jets had some long drives and the Bills had their one drive that was just the one run stuffed for a safety.

What's interesting is that the Bills really were going out and spreading it out. Out of all of their pass plays, they kept the RB in to block just once.

When the Bills got Singletary involved in the 4th, he ripped off a number of big plays. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but he showed a lot of vision, patience and ability to setup defenders. It also helped when Mosley for hurt and went out.
This is true and important to mention.

Devin Singletary rushed four times for 70 yards, adding five catches for 28 yards on six targets in Buffalo's 17-16 win over the Jets in Week 1.

Singletary didn't notch his first touch until six minutes remaining in the third quarter, but still managed to lead Buffalo's backfield in rushing while simultaneously tying Cole Beasley for the second-most catches (5) among the team's wideouts. The third-round rookie's phenomenal block inside the five-yard line sprung Josh Allen open for the quarterback's first rushing score of the season. Frank Gore (11/20) is the clear-cut backup to Singletary, who should be ranked as a confident RB3/FLEX play against the Giants in Week 2.

Sep 8, 2019, 6:42 PM ET

So hyped that I went against the grain and took him at 1.9 in my rookie draft.  I passed on a lot of highly ranked guys to take him.  Just had a good feeling.  

He looks so good. You can time Gore with a sundial right now. 

This backfield will be Singletary’s very soon IMO.  
What i like is that it looks like he got a bunch of touches in a short period of time on key drives.  It's nice that he did well with them, obviously, but the lingering question is whether they plan to limit him. They used him on a ton of plays in a row in the preseason game week 2 i think and then again this week - i think they're trying to see what he can handle, and he's showing that he can handle a good amount.  

Anyone that watched the game could see that it was a different offense when Singletary was in versus Gore. The team was absolutely stuck in neutral when Gore was getting the touches.

They may want to limit his use early on to avoid overworking him, but I can't see how they keep Singletary off the field that much. 

Easy to see why they were content to unload McCoy.

Anyone that watched the game could see that it was a different offense when Singletary was in versus Gore. The team was absolutely stuck in neutral when Gore was getting the touches.

They may want to limit his use early on to avoid overworking him, but I can't see how they keep Singletary off the field that much. 

Easy to see why they were content to unload McCoy.
I watched none of the game, and I've only seen the highlight video of Singletary.  But there was a ton of green in front him on all of those carries.  The o-line may be doing a great job, and Gore's just too slow to hit the holes.

I watched none of the game, and I've only seen the highlight video of Singletary.  But there was a ton of green in front him on all of those carries.  The o-line may be doing a great job, and Gore's just too slow to hit the holes.
Probably a bit of both. There was also a lot of green in terms of Jets in front of him and the defense had a hard time taking him down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a bit of both. There was also a lot of green in terms of Jets in front of him and the defense had a hard time taking him down.
Seriously? Not trying to throw cold water on his prospects or anything, but watch that video again- he broke very few tackles and hardly got any YAC at all.

Yeah, he looks really slow and unathletic to me.
Maybe not as much as the LB he left laying on the field grasping at air, but yes... he is not the second coming of Barry Sanders... which is why you got him in round 9 instead of burning a high pick (like say Leonard Fournette, James Conner, or Damien Williams).

Jets run defense was highly ranked pre-season, and what I saw was a RB running though big lanes and getting open out of the backfield. If he's a younger/stronger/faster version of Frank Gore at this point, and Shady McCoy is in KC... what's not to like here? If that's a glimpse of what's coming, he doesn't have to be Ladainian Tomlinson to put up solid fantasy numbers IMO.

Honestly, what more would an elite rb have been able to do with those touches? Aside from the run at around the 1:00 mark, which top tier guys would’ve put in the endzone.
Perhaps broken a tackle or two and/or pushed the pile more? I was replying to a post saying there were a lot of Jets in front of him and they had a hard time taking him down, which I don't see at all. Yes, that particular play stood out, should have been a TD.

Yeah, he looks really slow and unathletic to me.
Nice straw man.  :thumbup:

Nice straw man.  :thumbup:
I’m just being honest.  He’s on my team, and was productive this weekend, so I’m excited about that.  But.....not sure he will ever be elite.  Trying to get that sense and interested what others think and saw.  Is that wrong?   :shrug:

When you have the kind of vision and body control/elusiveness he does you don’t have to be the fastest or the strongest.  He’s got a style of play that makes people miss and he finds the creases.   

He can absolutely be elite.  But it’s way too early to say.  Let’s just be happy that we have him and let it develop.  

I’m just being honest.  He’s on my team, and was productive this weekend, so I’m excited about that.  But.....not sure he will ever be elite.  Trying to get that sense and interested what others think and saw.  Is that wrong?   :shrug:
My two cents, he clearly does not have elite top end speed.  What I do like is the way he read those plays and the burst coming out of his cuts.  He looks like a patient runner, but unlike a player like McCoy (also a patient runner) who can produce highlight-reel missed tackles behind the line of scrimmage, Singletary looks like the kind of player who will thrive in a scheme where he can make one cut and burst through a small opening.  He seems to have that little bit of pop quickness that's tough to measure.  

Gore needs 20 consecutive carries before you can really understand his value to a football team. If you have to sacrifice a few quarters of the game to get there, so be it. 
This is true.  It might take going 19 carries for 15 yards before that pays off - but we all know that around the 20th carry is when it starts to pay off!!

Might start this guy over A.Jones or D.Will next week. I dunno if I have the balls but I feel it in my bones that he has a better day than A.Jones who has a rough schedule for the first 5 or so weeks. 

Might start this guy over A.Jones or D.Will next week. I dunno if I have the balls but I feel it in my bones that he has a better day than A.Jones who has a rough schedule for the first 5 or so weeks. 
The 70 yards was nice. The 4 carries is still a worry.

Don't think I'm ready to start him over D. Williams just yet. Not in PPR, anyway.

I've got a dynasty where I've got Gurley, Kerryon and Singletary at RB.  Not much choice at this point but to stick him in the flex.

Lol my bad, after reading other posts in here I assumed you were being sarcastic. I'm rooting for him and think he looked fine (I wouldn't go as far as you), but I'm also being honest- he had tons of space and I have no idea where all of this "making people miss" and "hard to tackle" stuff is coming from (based on his touches yesterday).

Buy him while the prices are still reasonable. He's got talent, McDermott loves him, and their defense/division will keep them competitive in most games. Only a matter of time before he has a breakout game. 

Users who are viewing this thread