What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 NFL Coaching Carousel & Front Office Changes (2 Viewers)

“I’m not going to bulls–t anyone, I’m kind of fired up,” Marrone said, via Michael DiRocco of ESPN.com. “And I know you guys are probably sitting like, ‘What the hell’s going on? How can this guy be fired up? They just lost six games in a row,’ and I understand that. I totally do but I’m going to bust my ###, I mean I’m telling you now. I’m going to look at some things, I want to go a little bit outside the box. I want to challenge these coaches and challenge these players and see. I’m going to do whatever can to get the best out of this team and best out of these players.”
Doug Marrone "fired up"

Which translates to "I'm desperate". 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears head coach Matt Nagy will cede play calling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Lazor in Week 10 against the Vikings. 

Chicago's offense has been abysmal for most of 2020. The Bears, who have the fifth worst offensive DVOA through Week 9, will give Lazor a shot to spark the offense Monday night against the Vikings. In two seasons as coordinator for the Bengals, Lazor's offenses were 26th and 29th in yardage and never higher than 17th in scoring. To get this Nick Foles-led offense off the ground will be a Herculean task. 

RELATED: 

Nick Foles

, Bill Lazor

SOURCE: Kevin Fishbain on Twitter

Nov 13, 2020, 4:51 PM ET

Analyzing NFL hot seats: What coaches deserve reprieve for their team’s poor performance, and who should be fired?

Halfway through the 2020 NFL season, each struggling team’s Twitter mob has grown to full force, calling for their head coach’s job. 

Which fans are justified in demanding a change of leadership? Which ones have been poisoned with myopia by the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately culture of the league? 

Here’s a midseason rundown of all the coaches under the microscope, each of whom leads teams that are either in last, tied for last or  in third place in their four-team division. 

Deserve more time

Coaches: Broncos Vic Fangio (3-5, 3rd in AFC West), 49ers Kyle Shanahan (4-5, last in NFC West), Vikings Mike Zimmer (3-5, tied-last in NFC North) 

Synopsis: Fangio’s Broncos certainly haven’t lived up to the preseason hype in his second year on the job, and there are fair criticisms of his coaching, notably in clock management and the team’s inability to win close games (three of five losses have come by one possession). 

But Denver’s extreme injury issues, coupled with a young offense that needs time to grow, means Fangio shouldn’t be worried about his job at season’s end … unless the wheels completely fall off and the Broncos don’t show incremental improvement down the stretch. 

Shanahan just took San Francisco to the Super Bowl nine months ago, and his team has been devastated by injuries. Zimmer, in his seventh season in Minnesota and coming off three consecutive winning seasons and a contract extension, is safe. 

Need more time 

Coaches: Cowboys Mike McCarthy (2-7, tied-last in NFC East), Giants Joe Judge (2-7, tied-last in NFC East), Bengals Zac Taylor (2-5, last in AFC North), Falcons interim Raheem Morris (3-6, tied-last NFC South), Texans interim Romeo Crennel (2-6, 3rd in AFC South), 

Synopsis: The case for first-year coaches in McCarthy and Judge is both time and circumstance. McCarthy, a proven winner in Green Bay, warrants more than one season to get Dallas back on track, especially considering quarterback Dak Prescott’s season-ending ankle injury in Week 5. With Judge, the Giants need stability and more offensive firepower, especially sans star tailback Saquon Barkley, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 2.

Second-year Cincinnati head coach Taylor also needs an extended chance to rebuild the Bengals with No. 1 overall pick Joe Burrow after going 2-14 a year ago. 

As for the interim guys, why not give Morris and Crennel a shot? After starting 0-5 and firing coach Dan Quinn, the Falcons are 3-1 under Morris, Tampa Bay’s head coach from 2009-11. And the Texans, who sacked Bill O’Brien following their 0-4 start, are 2-2 under Crennel, who’s coached the Browns and Chiefs. Both guys bring experience and have their teams playing better. 

Show them the door

Coaches: Jets Adam Gase (0-9, last in AFC East), Jaguars Doug Marrone (1-7, last in AFC South), Chargers Anthony Lynn (2-6, last in AFC West), Lions Matt Patricia (3-5, last in NFC North) 

Synopsis: Yes, the Jets are well on their way to tanking for the No. 1 overall pick and thus a future franchise quarterback in Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence. But their play is so uninspired that the first 0-9 start in franchise history — falling off a cliff from their 7-9 mark last year — is enough to dismiss Gase and begin fresh in 2021, with Lawrence presumably under center.

Meanwhile, Marrone is cruising to his third consecutive losing season in Jacksonville and the 2017 team that was a few plays from the franchise’s first Super Bowl is a distant memory. The Chargers have no clue how to close out games under Lynn, who is wasting the talent and potential of rookie quarterback Justin Herbert. 

And in Detroit, Patricia is 12-27-1 in his third season, including nine consecutive divisional losses. Under the former New England defensive coordinator, the Lions went from fringe contender to bottom-of-the-barrel. That calls for a pink slip.

The Lions didn't enter the red zone once in their 20-0 Week 11 loss to the Panthers. 

The humiliating loss may have put the final touches on Matt Patricia's catastrophic tenure as Detroit's head coach. The team gained just 185 yards against a middling Carolina defense, averaging a mind numbingly low 3.4 yards per play. Against the worst third down defense in the NFL, Detroit converted just three of 14 third downs. The Lions' offensive ineptitude came as Carolina spot starter P.J. Walker committed a couple turnovers that would have been back breakers against almost any other team. Fantasy managers should hope Kenny Golladay and DeAndre Swift aren't pulled under by the team's broken offense. 

SOURCE: Charlotte Observer on Twitter 

Nov 23, 2020, 9:35 AM ET

So the question is whether Zac Taylor now gets a mulligan with Burrow out for the year or if standing by a terrible o-line coach pulls him under   Hard to ever imagine defacto GM Duke Tobin being in trouble but in the real world responsibility falls on him as well.  The line play actually had been much better in the last few weeks but the fact is an LG that likely wouldn't start for any other team got dominated so completely on that play it got the franchise hurt.  

Mike Brown has pretty clearly receded from running the team but whether Katie is going to be any different - we'll see I guess.

-QG 

As for my Bengals - Zac Taylor has to be at least in the mix if he loses out.  Given the reported locker room turmoil and disfunction I have to think (okay okay pray) that Anamuro (DC) and Turner (OL) will be shown the door - shocking that the architect of Dolphins bullying scandal would prove to still be terrible.  I'm not sure that Burrow's injury gives Taylor the Mulligan as much as Burrow publicly expressing faith in him.

Though I have to say that giving the season-long backup (Finley) an ultra-quick hook in favor if Byron er I mean Brandon Allen tells me that perhaps there really is some actual heat there.

-QG

Detroit Lions fire head coach Matt Patricia, general manager Bob Quinn

Excerpt:

Patricia amassed a 13-29-1 record in his two-plus seasons as Lions head coach. Patricia was hired by the Lions in 2018 after serving as the New England Patriots defensive coordinator for six years. Patricia succeeded Jim Caldwell, who was fired by the Lions after four seasons as coach. Caldwell had three winning seasons during his time in Detroit and made the playoffs twice.

Since Patricia's hiring, the Lions rank in the bottom 10 in scoring, total and pass defense, and they are tied for fewest takeaways (43) in the NFL since 2018. The Lions' .314 win percentage during Patricia's tenure ranked 27th in the NFL. Patricia has the worst career win percentage by any coach whose teams averaged 21-plus points per game in the Super Bowl era (minimum 40 games coached).

Quinn served as the Lions GM since 2016. The Lions were 31-43-1 during Quinn's tenure and have been sub-.500 in three straight seasons after going 9-7 in each of his first two seasons.

All five first-round picks by Quinn are still on the Lions' roster, but none of those five has ever reached a Pro Bowl or been an All-Pro. The only Pro Bowler Quinn drafted with the Lions is wide receiver Kenny Golladay, a third-round selection in 2017.

This article nails what is likely to happen with the Bengals.  Joe Brady could be the one guy to bring in and not harm the relationship with Burrow but what kind of power would Brady want in that scenario is a key question.

-QG
I think it's pretty accurate regarding Nagy/Pace, too... 

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Eagles coach Doug Pederson is no longer calling every play on offense and could give up more responsibility moving forward. 

Per reporter Jeff McLane, Pederson has "handed the reins over" to passing game coordinator Press Taylor "several times in recent games." Pederson could give Taylor "more responsibility starting Sunday in Green Bay." Senior offensive assistant Rich Scangarello has apparently also been calling some plays in two-minute situations since the beginning of the season. 32-year-old Taylor had previously never called plays "at any level." The play-calling hasn't exactly been stellar for the Eagles, but offensive line woes and Carson Wentz's struggles remain bigger issues. This is unlikely to spark a renaissance for the final five games of the season. 

SOURCE: Philadelphia Inquirer 

Dec 3, 2020, 9:26 PM ET

Gase basically through Williams under the bus.  Dude excels at deflecting blame that is for sure.

Hate to say it but as a Bengals fan I think I need my team to get thoroughly pummeled by the hated Steelers and Ratbirds in order to get ownership to do what needs to be done.  Cannot have a job-saving dead cat bounce this year.

-QG

The Bengals really rallied around Zac today.  I do think the temperature is hotter than a lot seem to think as he actually did make moves today that bordered on actual accountability - Jordan and Bullock (!) were inactive.  Bernard essentially benched for the 1st half after he fumbled (for the first time since his rookie year) and benching the left tackle after staging a butt fumble in tribute to Mark Sanchez.

Next up an impending shellacking on national tv at the hands of the hated Steelers.

Even Mike Brown might have had enough after a 30-7 pummeling at the hands of the formerly 3-9 Cowboys.

-QG

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos plan on keeping Vic Fangio as their head coach for the 2021 season. 

Fangio is two seasons into his tenure with the Broncos and has yet to put a winning campaign on the record books. He went 7-9 on the back of a punishing defense last year but currently sits at 5-9 with no playoff hopes to be heard of. Fangio was a successful defensive coordinator for over 20 years before landing this gig but the results simply haven't been there. His defense struggled through injuries this year which may explain the worse record but he needs to figure out a plan to turn the offense around in 2021. Denver is 28th in points per game this season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 27, 2020, 9:05 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread