What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Najee Harris, PIT (2 Viewers)

Why? He got 19 touches (on 21 looks) in a tough roadie which his team won.

He's more of a buy than a sell.

I'm guessing it's because the line looks bad and Big Ben looks cooked.

Volume will be there which is good for FF.  Space and scoring opportunities might be tough to come by.

I'm guessing it's because the line looks bad and Big Ben looks cooked.

Volume will be there which is good for FF.  Space and scoring opportunities might be tough to come by.
Agreed, not sure Ben is entirely cooked though but I get your point, but the two things you really want from your magic football RBs are volume and a real life team that wins.

Najee Harris rushed 16 times for 45 yards in the Steelers' Week 1 win over the Bills.

Harris was targeted just three times in the passing game, totaling one catch for four yards. It was a debut to forget for the No. 24 overall pick, who found zero running room behind Pittsburgh's horrific offensive line against an upper-echelon defense. Harris also needs to realize he's not going to run through defenders like he did in college. It's going to be a trying year for Harris behind this offensive line, but the touches are going to keep him on the RB1/2 map every week. Things should be easier next week at home against the Raiders.

Last edited by a moderator:
O line is the big concern. Ben will be fine and lots of talent out wide. This was not an easy spot to debut in either. Hostile environment against a top team.  

The other issue is Najee is slow and won’t have big plays so he doesn’t have the big play out to save a bad day. 

Najee Harris rushed 14 times for 40 yards in the Steelers' Week 3 loss to the Bengals, adding 14 receptions for 102 yards.

The Steelers lost JuJu Smith-Schuster to a rib injury in the middle of the game after entering the week without Diontae Johnson. Then, Chase Claypool suffered a lower-body injury that forced him out of the game multiple times. Harris was the de facto WR1 for Pittsburgh on a handful of drives to close out the game. With the Steelers being down multiple scores, that meant plenty of targets for Harris. His 19 looks are the second-most for a running back in the history of the NFL. Even if the Pittsburgh offense struggles, Harris's involvement in the passing game and dominance of the carries locks him in for RB1 numbers going forward. He and the Steelers face the Packers next week.

they're really going to run this kid into the ground on a horrible team huh

The  Steelers are brutal in a way we haven't seen in the last 15-ish years or so..  Najee should be fantasy relevant for the next 3 years based on volume, but his career may be shortened as a result.

This is f*&^*^ing ridiculous.

Why is the front office frozen.  He's not going to bench himself.  And neither will Tomlin nor should he because yes we will likely get worse before we get better.

We get rid of every other position way in time.  We are terrible - but most importantly he is killing fantastic young talent on O and wasting talent on D.

If the fat #### can't clipboard and help/teach the newbs then sit the #### down and collect your 28 mil.  We paid you enough and this part of your career should be part of the deal.  His call - and yes you will mop up once in a while.  If not, GTFO.  It's embarrassing.

BobbyLayne said:
  • 14 receptions for 102 yards niiiiiiiice
  • rushed 14 times for 40 yards oh #### O-line still sucks eh
Ben threw 30 of his 54 passes BEHIND the LOS and that was because Diontae was OUT.  I wouldn't expect that from Harris if he is healthy.

Steelers O-Line sucks.

-------------------

Austin Gayle@PFF_AustinGayle

Steelers' Najee Harris has been hit at or behind the LOS on 70% of his carries — highest rate in the NFL, per

@PFF

Ben threw 30 of his 54 passes BEHIND the LOS and that was because Diontae was OUT.  I wouldn't expect that from Harris if he is healthy.

Steelers O-Line sucks.

-------------------

Austin Gayle@PFF_AustinGayle

Steelers' Najee Harris has been hit at or behind the LOS on 70% of his carries — highest rate in the NFL, per

@PFF
About what we expected eh, especially with JuJu getting crunched early and missing most of the game.

Tomlin might be looking at his first losing record.

Hard to see a lot of upside for Harris unless you have faith the O-line will gel going forward. It’s a volume play, not like they have many options or it would get better with McFarland (think he comes off IR soon.) Good solid floor but this past week we probably saw his ceiling.

I'm selling high if possible. 
I’m mulling that over as well, and this is probably the best week to do it. But my league is full of Ravens and Steelers homers which makes it an even tougher sell. Not exactly a secret or unexpected what we’ve seen so far.

OTOH my squad in my main league is pretty stack, leading in PF. May just keep him bc better the devil you know than the devil you don't know. Coming back to you will probably be another disappointment (Barkley, Taylor, Gibson, CEH) and you’ll maybe have to package Najee. Not gonna get a lot straight up IMO.

But you never know how other managers value him, doesn’t hurt to start putting out feelers.

I’m mulling that over as well, and this is probably the best week to do it. But my league is full of Ravens and Steelers homers which makes it an even tougher sell. Not exactly a secret or unexpected what we’ve seen so far.

OTOH my squad in my main league is pretty stack, leading in PF. May just keep him bc better the devil you know than the devil you don't know. Coming back to you will probably be another disappointment (Barkley, Taylor, Gibson, CEH) and you’ll maybe have to package Najee. Not gonna get a lot straight up IMO.

But you never know how other managers value him, doesn’t hurt to start putting out feelers.
He may very well be a PPR monster the rest of the season. That's the risk.

He may very well be a PPR monster the rest of the season. That's the risk.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. I don’t need WRs or TE so I’m probably moving him like for like. IDK if Taylor or Gibson (possible trade targets) are going to continue to lose high value touches to Hines:McKissic.

Najee is gonna have some ugly standard stats but points is points, so if weak arm Ben can’t push it upfield, then guys like Freiermuth, JJSS and Najee will benefit with an uptick in low ADot targets.

everyone knew the o-line was cheeks, but they still took him based on volume. 

what am i missing?
In the only league I took him - full PPR - he’s RB6 YTD

RB39 Wk 1

RB9 Wk 2

RB1 Wk 3

Paired with Swift (RB3) - so far, so good - but obviously it is looking a bit bleak for Harris going forward

Volume, especially high value targets, is the sole reason to own him

Half or standard, would not want him (and don’t have him in my three half PPR leagues)

everyone knew the o-line was cheeks, but they still took him based on volume. 

what am i missing?

Agreed.  This was basically a best case scenario.  Anyone that watched Pitt down the stretch last year knew this was going to be a terrible offense with a terrible O-line.  Him getting 98% of the RB snaps and 20 catches threw 3 weeks was the entire upside basis for his value.

Agreed.  This was basically a best case scenario.  Anyone that watched Pitt down the stretch last year knew this was going to be a terrible offense with a terrible O-line.  Him getting 98% of the RB snaps and 20 catches threw 3 weeks was the entire upside basis for his value.
The offense put up plenty of points in their last two games last year (including the playoffs), and while there were obviously questions around Ben, there was also a slight bit of optimism that he'd be better after an offseason of rest, at least to start off the season.

The snaps are great, as are the receptions (although obviously skewed by the huge number this week), but a 3.1 ypc and zero rushing TDs certainly is not. IMO double-digit rushing TDs was part of the upside basis for his value as well.

Najee Harris rushed 15 times for 62 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' Week 4 loss to the Packers, adding six catches for 29 yards on seven targets.

It was another high-volume day for the Steelers' first-round rookie back, 21-of-22 backfield touches, ceding just one carry to Benny Snell. The rushing numbers haven't been there for Harris behind this atrocious offensive line in a broken scheme with a statuesque quarterback in Big Ben, but volume has proven king for Harris, who now has 81 touches through four games. He's averaging 13.75 carries per game for 46.25 yards on the ground each week, but Harris did punch in his first rushing touchdown with a one-yarder in the fourth quarter in this one. Harris has a whopping 26 catches through four weeks. Harris will be a volume-based RB1 next week against the Broncos.

Najee Harris rushed 23 times for 122 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 5 win over the Broncos, adding two receptions for 20 yards on five targets.

Harris dealt with cramps throughout the second half and did not play on the Steelers' final drive. Fantasy managers should keep a close eye on his practice reports this week. Harris was a key factor in the Steelers victory and will continued to be leaned on as a true bellcow back if healthy. His Week 6 matchup against the Seahawks sets him up to be a high end RB1.

Oct 10, 2021, 4:09 PM ET

Najee Harris rushed 24 times for 81 yards, adding six catches on seven targets for 46 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 6 win over the Seahawks.

Harris remains the unquestioned bellcow in Pittsburgh, and that makes him a high-end RB1 for fantasy purposes when the matchup is right. The efficiency has been up and down for the Alabama product all season, but that doesn't matter when he's a threat to lead the league in touches in any given week. Harris will get a much-deserved rest with the Steelers on bye in Week 7 before playing the Browns in Week 8.

Oct 18, 2021, 12:59 AM ET

Najee Harris rushed 22 times for 62 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' Week 9 win over the Bears Monday night, adding three catches for 16 yards on three targets.

This is the kind of stat line we've grown accustomed to from rookie Harris; 25-ish touches while struggling for yards and scoring a touchdown. Harris capped the opening drive with a 10-yard touchdown scamper while his longest run of the night was for 13 yards. He came into this one averaging 68 yards on the ground. The interior of the Steelers' offensive line just gets manhandled most weeks and can't open up running lanes. Harris' insane volume and touchdowns are keeping him a locked-in top-five RB1. He's now scored in five straight games and gets a juicy Week 10 date at home against the Lions.

Nov 8, 2021, 11:38 PM ET

Najee Harris (foot) was limited in Thursday's practice. 

This is the first time Harris has been on the injury report all season. Harris finished out the Steelers-Bears MNF game on the field and had no problems on Wednesday, so this may be more of a rest day for the back as the Steelers are on a short week after MNF. The Friday injury report will bring more clarity. 

Nov 11, 2021, 3:32 PM ET

Najee Harris rushed 12 times for 39 yards and a touchdown, adding five catches for 20 yards in the Steelers' Week 11 loss to the Chargers.

Harris left the game and was evaluated for a concussion after enduring a scary hit to the head in the second half. He cleared protocol and returned to the game late, but it didn't make much of a difference. He did score a short touchdown, but it was generally a disappointing game for the rookie against a banged-up Chargers defensive line. Still, the first-rounder had 17 touches in a game where he missed a couple of drives due to injury. He's still a strong RB1 moving forward.

Nov 21, 2021, 11:58 PM ET

Najee Harris rushed 20 times for 94 yards and a touchdown in Pittsburgh's Week 14 loss to Minnesota, adding three catches for 10 yards and another touchdown as a receiver. 

It raised some eyebrows that the Steelers ran as often as they did in the second half staring at a 29-0 deficit, but Harris was the most consistent yardage threat they had all game. He caught a pass isolated on a linebacker at the goal line to open scoring for the Steelers in the third quarter, then ran in a second touchdown from the 1 near the start of the fourth quarter. Harris will remain an easy every-week RB1 in Week 15's matchup with the Titans. 

Dec 10, 2021, 12:31 AM ET

Steelers Depot @Steelersdepot

Were you alive for the 950 yards that Trent Richardson registered for the Browns in 2012?

--------------------------------------------------

ron burrow@ronfillet

For a running back to get 1,000 yards with a line that can’t block and is contacted in the backfield on the majority of carries is unheard of

--------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVgXGw_XhRQ

Anytime he looks good with that terrible o line and terrible offensive scheme you should be surprised 
Yeah, I definitely feel like he’s a volume play more than anything because of how bad everything else is around him. But he’s one of the few RBs this year that you can consistently count on 15+ touches each week and that’s nothing to sneeze at.

I'm going to start him were I have him but he looks gassed and not trying to be after the fact jack but his season has gone almost exactly as I thought.  I figured he'd start slow behind new patchwork OL, then start hitting his stride before the workload and wear and tear started to slow him down near the end.

Rookie RB getting coming off a 14 game season in college getting the snaps/touches he has with so little free space to operate is tough sledding. And knock on wood but amazing that I can't recall this guy ever even showing up on the injury report.

I'm going to start him were I have him but he looks gassed and not trying to be after the fact jack but his season has gone almost exactly as I thought.  I figured he'd start slow behind new patchwork OL, then start hitting his stride before the workload and wear and tear started to slow him down near the end.

Rookie RB getting coming off a 14 game season in college getting the snaps/touches he has with so little free space to operate is tough sledding. And knock on wood but amazing that I can't recall this guy ever even showing up on the injury report.
He didn't look gassed 2 weeks ago against the Vikings, I think it's more the situation around him is so bad that he's going to be pretty inconsistent and match-up dependent (along with the rest of the team)

That stretch mid-season where he was great for FF came when the Steelers went 4-0-1. He wasn't particularly "great" in real life in those games either, just got a ton of touches against weaker opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread