What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (2 Viewers)

Cam Akers is listed as the No. 3 running back on the Rams’ depth chart.

He’s behind Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson (hamstring), who hasn’t practiced since August. Coach Sean McVay confirmed he plans to use a “three-back committee.” Akers remains in line for Week 1 touches, but he’s going to have workload concerns if Henderson plays.

SOURCE: therams.com

Sep 9, 2020, 9:41 AM ET

Cam Akers is listed as the No. 3 running back on the Rams’ depth chart.

He’s behind Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson (hamstring), who hasn’t practiced since August. Coach Sean McVay confirmed he plans to use a “three-back committee.” Akers remains in line for Week 1 touches, but he’s going to have workload concerns if Henderson plays.

SOURCE: therams.com

Sep 9, 2020, 9:41 AM ET
Get used to it, if you aren't already.  McVay is now fantasy cancer for RBs.

I disagree. It’s game 1. He’s not just going to hand the starting gig to a rookie with hardly any training camp. I don’t think Brown and Henderson are very good and think Akers will take the full time job by week 5 or so.

I disagree. It’s game 1. He’s not just going to hand the starting gig to a rookie with hardly any training camp. I don’t think Brown and Henderson are very good and think Akers will take the full time job by week 5 or so.
I was referring to his past with C J Anderson and Brown when Gurley was healthy.  What makes this year any different?

I was referring to his past with C J Anderson and Brown when Gurley was healthy.  What makes this year any different?
Huh? Gurley was a league-winner in his first two years under McVay, and last year he clearly wasn't completely healthy/effective but still got the lion's share of RB touches. Not following this at all...

This feels about right

I don't think Akers has looked all that bad. He's certainly getting a good amount of work, but he's not seeing the holes as well as Brown is right now. They also clearly don't trust him to pass block yet. Jury's still out on this guy, IMO.

Cam Akers had 14 carries for 39 yards in Week 1 against Dallas.

Akers started but didn’t capitalize on his carries, averaging 2.8 YPC. He lost goal-line and third-down snaps to Malcolm Brown, who scored a pair of touchdowns. The 15 touches were encouraging given how much Akers struggled. Akers played 20 fewer snaps than Brown. The results weren't there for Akers in Week 1, but he should get better as the season moves along.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Cam Akers was forced from Los Angeles' Week 2 game against the Eagles and is questionable to return. 

Akers started and immediately handled three carries for 13 yards, but he then went down awkwardly and was immediately spirited to the locker room. Akers' arm appeared to be dangling a bit. Despite the "questionable" tag, he is likely done for the day. That would leave Darrell Henderson to change Malcolm Brown's pace. 

Sep 20, 2020, 1:28 PM ET

Cam Akers has been diagnosed with "separated cartilage in his ribs" and is day to day. 

The Rams have yet to rule Akers out for Sunday's game against the Bills, though it will likely be an uphill battle. With Malcolm Brown also nursing a finger injury, Darrell Henderson could be in position to build on his 14-touch, 121-yard performance in Philadelphia. There is still a long way to go this week, however. We will receive an update no later than Wednesday, when the Rams issue their first Week 3 injury report. 

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Andrew Siciliano on Twitter 

Sep 22, 2020, 12:36 AM ET

Cam Akers (ribs) did not practice on Wednesday.

Akers was removed from Sunday's game after just three carries. Coach Sean McVay classified Akers' injury as "day-to-day," but seeing a DNP designation on the first injury report of the week does not evoke optimism ahead of Sunday's game against the Bills.

Sep 23, 2020, 7:29 PM ET

Rams head coach Sean McVay said RB Cam Akers' recovery from his rib injury isn't coming along as quickly as first anticipated. 

Akers sounds unlikely to suit up this week against Buffalo. Darrell Henderson stepped in after Akers' Week 2 injury and turned 14 touches into 121 yards against the Eagles. Malcolm Brown is nursing a finger injury, making Henderson the favorite to carry the load for LA in Week 3. 

DFS Slant:

Ribs are notoriously hard injuries to play through. The way Buffalo has kept the offensive pressure on opponents, it's smarter to target the Rams passing weapons in DFS this weekend.

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter 

Sep 24, 2020, 5:19 PM ET

You worry about Akers and the possibility of re-injury with the rib cartilage. There's a chance he has to play through pain/flak jacket when he comes back next week.

Rams RB Cam Akers (ribs) didn't practice Thursday and is unlikely to play in Week 4. 

Akers out means Darrell Henderson gets another start for the Rams in an excellent matchup. The Giants have given up 460 total yards to enemy backs over the season's first three weeks. Henderson needs to be in fantasy lineups until Akers returns. 

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter 

Oct 1, 2020, 5:24 PM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay “would be surprised” if Cam Akers (ribs) plays this week.

Akers hasn't practiced all week. He's going to miss his second straight game, locking Darrell Henderson into another start. Akers opened the season as the touch favorite in the Rams' three-back committee, but he'll likley be returning to a reduced role when healthy.

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 2, 2020, 10:37 AM ET

Rams RB Cam Akers (ribs) won't play in Week 4 against the Giants.

Fresh off a career-high 21 touches in Week 3, Darrell Henderson, Pro Football Focus' No. 1 overall running back through three games, warrants RB1 status without Akers as the Rams are currently -13 home favorites over the hapless Giants. Malcolm Brown notably split snaps with Henderson (34) against the Bills but it was still the latter who secured a majority of touches including 5 of the team's 6 inside the 10-yard line. Akers is considered week to week with separated rib cartilage.

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Oct 2, 2020, 4:50 PM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay said he expects Cam Akers (ribs) to return Week 5.

Akers' rib ailment was serious enough to sideline him two weeks, but he'll return to a backfield that was momentarily led by Darrell Henderson before Week 4's dud. The Rams have been rotating all three backs around, making this a very tough-and-go situationfor fantasy purposes. Henderson has looked like the best runner of the bunch, but Malcolm Brown is trusted by the staff and Akers has the most three-down potential. The only saving grace is the Rams' top-three neutral situation run rate. McVay is on team establish the run this season.

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Oct 6, 2020, 12:12 AM ET

Any LA fans hearing any news out of training this week?  Still seems like a mess there.  Cam got dropped, wondering if it's even worth picking him up.

Any LA fans hearing any news out of training this week?  Still seems like a mess there.  Cam got dropped, wondering if it's even worth picking him up.
He was dropped in my league, and I didn't hesitate. He fits the profile for a second half goldmine at almost no cost. 5th round pick in my re-draft league.

5th round pick in my re-draft league.
That seems  high considering the crowded backfield & who else was there at that ADP.  Hunt, Mostert of most note, but quite a few quality WR & TE options as well.

He went in the 7th in my IDP league, & I see his ADP was mid-60s, so I guess that's what his price was. Not exactly the best ROI right now. 

As for acquiring him, man - that Rams backfield is still very difficult to read. I'm not sure if I see a "feature" back shaking out. I believe coach said he wants RBBC regardless. Not sure 2nd half will be a goldmine so much as more headache. I guess we'll see what they do when Akers comes back healthy, but they have a lot of capable RBs. 

That seems  high considering the crowded backfield & who else was there at that ADP.  Hunt, Mostert of most note, but quite a few quality WR & TE options as well.

He went in the 7th in my IDP league, & I see his ADP was mid-60s, so I guess that's what his price was. Not exactly the best ROI right now. 

As for acquiring him, man - that Rams backfield is still very difficult to read. I'm not sure if I see a "feature" back shaking out. I believe coach said he wants RBBC regardless. Not sure 2nd half will be a goldmine so much as more headache. I guess we'll see what they do when Akers comes back healthy, but they have a lot of capable RBs. 
Yup... he was taken right before Ingram, and then Mostert was taken 3 picks later and then my dumb ### took Fournette with the 11th pick in that round, but made up for it with Hunt in the 6th.

Yup... he was taken right before Ingram, and then Mostert was taken 3 picks later and then my dumb ### took Fournette with the 11th pick in that round, but made up for it with Hunt in the 6th.
I picked Mostert 5.03. Hunt made it to 6.08 

I'm still bitter about that. :(  

I picked Mostert 5.03. Hunt made it to 6.08 

I'm still bitter about that. :(  
I viewed Hunt as the bargain of the draft. I thought he was an RB2 with stand-alone value and of course an elite ceiling if anything were to happen to Chubb. That's a rare piece to get in the 6th round. Josh Allen went in the 8th round, though, so I suppose he might have a little something to say about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I viewed Hunt as the bargain of the draft. I thought he was an RB2 with stand-alone value and of course an elite ceiling if anything were to happen to Chubb. That's a rare piece to get in the 6th round. Josh Allen went in the 8th round, though, so I suppose he might have a little something to say about it.
Yeah, I got Hunt in so many leagues it's not funny.  Way undervalued. Traded him away last week in my main league though, so that's why I'm looking at Cam.

Yeah, I got Hunt in so many leagues it's not funny.  Way undervalued. Traded him away last week in my main league though, so that's why I'm looking at Cam.
I would rather sit on a guy like Cam or Swift and not use them for half the season than roster some middling WR who I would never play unless half the teams in the league contracted COVID.

Cam Akers (ribs) has resumed practicing in full. 

Akers was "limited" on Wednesday before Thursday's full session. His return further plunges the Rams' backfield into fantasy chaos after Malcolm Brown's surprising Week 4 re-emergence ahead of Darrell Henderson. Even despite that, Henderson is the only Rams running back we would be looking to get into Week 5 lineups. That being said, Akers should be re-added in any leagues where he was sent to the waiver wire, while you could do worse for a Week 5 punt if you are already desperate at running back. 

Oct 8, 2020, 8:41 PM ET

Rams RB Cam Akers (ribs) practiced fully Friday and will play in Week 5 against Washington. 

Last week, Darrell Henderson surprisingly operated as Malcolm Brown's backup against the Giants. It's difficult to say just how Akers will affect running back usage for LA, but it seems likely Henderson will revert back to a third-string role. Akers got 15 touches in the season opener. It's hard to project him for that many this week against Washington. 

RELATED: 

Malcolm Brown

, Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Oct 9, 2020, 4:42 PM ET

Anyone else notice on FFPC his stats aren't there? It's as if he didn't even play but I know he did. Plus he got 61 rushing yards.

For anyone that watched.  I read Akers got caught from behind by DL Sweat.  They made it sound like straight pursuit....not as if he was caught reversing direction.

any ideas

For anyone that watched.  I read Akers got caught from behind by DL Sweat.  They made it sound like straight pursuit....not as if he was caught reversing direction.

any ideas
You can watch the clip of the play on the NFL.com page for the game (on the right hand side in their terrible highlight section). Sweat catches him after he evaded some tacklers that slowed him up a little. It was some impressive speed by Sweat, though. 

You can watch the clip of the play on the NFL.com page for the game (on the right hand side in their terrible highlight section). Sweat catches him after he evaded some tacklers that slowed him up a little. It was some impressive speed by Sweat, though. 
Didn’t Sweat run a blazing fast 40 time for a DL at the combine? Dude is fast for his size.

Didn’t Sweat run a blazing fast 40 time for a DL at the combine? Dude is fast for his size.
Montez Sweat sets 40-yard dash record for defensive linemen at NFL scouting combine

Excerpt:

Montez Sweat is continuing to make his mark in workouts leading up the 2019 NFL draft.

The 6-6, 260-pound Mississippi State defensive end officially ran a 4.41-second 40-yard dash on Sunday, officially setting a NFL scouting combine record for defensive linemen dating back to 2003, when data officially started to be tracked. His 1.55-second 10-yard split was also among the best at his position group.

By comparison, only one running back (Oklahoma State's Justice Hill) recorded a mark faster than Sweat's. 

Users who are viewing this thread