What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (3 Viewers)

Last season they were 5-6 through 11 games.

This season they are 6-5 through 11 games.

This with Garopollo starting 10 of them to last season 8 through 11 games.

Deebo and Warner to get MRIs. Sermon too.

Per Nick Wagoner on Twitter:

#49ers WR Deebo Samuel said he will have MRI in the morning on his injured groin. Samuel said there’s “not too much concern” about severity of it. Samuel added he could feel it tighten up and wanted to come out immediately to ensure it didn’t worsen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azeez Al-Shaair's line today:

Team-high 8 tackles

One INT

One pass defensed

One fumble recovery

Started game at weakside LB, ended it calling the plays at middle LB.

:thumbup:

That running game though. 

I mentioned this in the game thread that Kyle Shanahan is kind of taking a page from his dad when he was head coach in DEN post Elway. Mike Shanahan could plug in whatever RB he had and got 1000 yards that season. Clinton Portis, Reuben Douglas, Mike Andersen, Tatum Bell, not to mention Olandis Gary and Terrell Davis during the last seasons with Elway. Difference is the last 1000 yard season by a single rusher for the 49ers was Frank Gore in 2014.

They rushed for 208 yards today, which currently in the division would lead that against AZ, but AZ doesn't have a game scheduled until December 5, and have a bye week. Their back end SOS is very favorable for the offense, they have two RB's around 500 yards currently to the 49ers Mitchell over 500, who is over 600 as of today.

The Cardinals have the most explosive offense in the division. Maybe the most in the NFC, that's a whole 'nuther debate. The difference between the Cardinals and the 49ers are da da da dat daaaaa: the quarterbacks. Kyler Murray is just plain more explosive than Garopollo this season, period, end of sentence.

I guess what I am saying: Elijah Mitchell has to stay healthy. Or else the offense is on Garopollo's arm. And legs. Both of which are far from explosive.

Deebo and Warner to get MRIs. Sermon too.

Per Nick Wagoner on Twitter:

#49ers WR Deebo Samuel said he will have MRI in the morning on his injured groin. Samuel said there’s “not too much concern” about severity of it. Samuel added he could feel it tighten up and wanted to come out immediately to ensure it didn’t worsen.
I'm hopeful this is not a big deal.

I mentioned this in the game thread that Kyle Shanahan is kind of taking a page from his dad when he was head coach in DEN post Elway. Mike Shanahan could plug in whatever RB he had and got 1000 yards that season. Clinton Portis, Reuben Douglas, Mike Andersen, Tatum

Bell

, not to mention Olandis Gary and Terrell

Davis

during the last seasons with Elway. Difference is the last 1000 yard season by a single rusher for the 49ers was

Frank Gore

in 2014.

They rushed for 208 yards today, which currently in the division would lead that against AZ, but AZ doesn't have a game scheduled until December 5, and have a bye week. Their back end SOS is very favorable for the offense, they have two RB's around 500 yards currently to the 49ers

Mitchell

over 500, who is over 600 as of today.

The Cardinals have the most explosive offense in the division. Maybe the most in the NFC, that's a whole 'nuther debate. The difference between the Cardinals and the 49ers are da da da dat daaaaa: the quarterbacks.

Kyler Murray

is just plain more explosive than Garopollo this season, period, end of sentence.

I guess what I am saying:

Elijah Mitchell

has to stay healthy. Or else the offense is on Garopollo's arm. And legs. Both of which are far from explosive.

Green Bay, Tampa Bay and the Rams are all teams I would put ahead of The Cardinals for explosive offenses.

Green Bay, Tampa Bay and the Rams are all teams I would put ahead of The Cardinals for explosive offenses.

I am talking about teams within the division, and the Rams two losses within the division had a combined 68 points scored against them to their 30 points scored.

Green Bay and Tampa Bay I agree with you on that, but they have elite quarterbacks. So does Seattle, but it seems they are missing quite a few other pieces. Maybe we could include Dallas this season, but their SOS could make them paper lions. The rest of the NFC is pretty meh, maybe Drew Brees should had gone one more season. I kind of miss him back there.

Not me.  I think the 49ers deserve to be without Deebo for a while for using him so irresponsibly. 

Well, head coaches are paid to win games, I can't blame Shanahan for adding a wrinkle to his offense. I can blame them for hiring a trainer who is from the NHL. That seems to be an ongoing issue.

Well, head coaches are paid to win games, I can't blame Shanahan for adding a wrinkle to his offense. I can blame them for hiring a trainer who is from the NHL. That seems to be an ongoing issue.

See the post above yours about how this genius move is working out.  :)

Surprising stat of the day:

From @LombardiHimself via twitter

The 49ers were 3-4 in red-zone efficiency vs. Minnesota. 11 games in, SF’s 77.4% red-zone TD rate is the best on record.

See the post above yours about how this genius move is working out.  :)

Point taken, but either Garopollo kills them with a hospital ball, or Shanahan kills them with a hospital play. Too bad BALCO doesn't exist anymore, it was just a short drive away in the South Bay. Maybe they need to hire Frank Gore for strength and conditioning. If he survives his upcoming boxing match.

Point taken, but either Garopollo kills them with a hospital ball, or Shanahan kills them with a hospital play. Too bad BALCO doesn't exist anymore, it was just a short drive away in the South Bay. Maybe they need to hire

Frank Gore

for strength and conditioning. If he survives his upcoming boxing match.

Fair enough and point well-taken.

"hospital play" - :lol:   Love that!

Fair enough and point well-taken.

"hospital play" - :lol:   Love that!

They have six more games - 4 of them on the road - to squeeze out at least 10 wins, and with the expanded regular season, 2 games above .500 at ten wins is really like being 1.5 games above .500, and yesterday was a "must win" game. If the 49ers post yet another single digit win season, especially this season when expectations were high (and unrealistic, but Jed and Co. love to over promise because he thinks he's Uncle Eddie, but he's only the corrupt and arrogant parts of Uncle Eddie), it's just not going to sit well for the off season, especially since they are raising seat prices at Levi's along with all the Santa Clara drama going on with the stadium.

At least the Sharks make the Stanley Cup playoffs only to choke in the post season. Maybe they should move up to the Chase Center. I dunno if they can add ice in there, but with the Giants and Warriors, the Embarcadero is rocking. Both the Giants and Warriors have won recent championships, while 49ers have lost them. Why? Maybe because when the 49ers won championships, they won when they played in San Francisco.

And then there is this:

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan suggested last week that it's conceivable that QB Jimmy Garoppolo could return to the team in 2022.

But it's not at all the club's intent, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The 49ers intend to trade Garoppolo in the offseason to clear the deck for first-round draft pick Trey Lance, who is being groomed for the role from the sideline as a rookie this season.

"Absent a Super Bowl run, which at this point is still theoretically possible, this is the 49ers' plan next season: start Trey Lance, trade Jimmy Garoppolo. Not a surprise there, they've been pretty up front about that," Rapoport said Sunday on NFL GameDay Morning. "What Garoppolo is doing now is increasing the value of picks the 49ers get in a trade involving him, and they make it more likely that a place he wants to go would want to take him."

With Garoppolo at the helm for all but one start, the 49ers are 5-5 and remain in the playoff hunt, albeit in a tough division with the Cardinals and Rams among the top teams in the NFC. Garoppolo has completed 170 of 254 passes this season for 2,112 yards, 12 touchdowns and only five interceptions. A strong finish would certainly make him more appealing around the league. It's also worth noting that the 2022 quarterback draft class isn't projected to be especially strong, which could bolster the market for free-agent quarterbacks and trade-worthy veterans like Garoppolo.

https://www.nfl.com/news/49ers-plan-to-trade-jimmy-garoppolo-start-trey-lance-in-2022

Surprising stat of the day:

From @LombardiHimself via twitter

The 49ers were 3-4 in red-zone efficiency vs. Minnesota. 11 games in, SF’s 77.4% red-zone TD rate is the best on record.

They have a total of 15 TDs each, both in the run and pass. Take the numbers for what they are, but compare that to say Arizona which has 20 TDs passing and 17 TDs rushing, well there you have that.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler provided an update on both players, who received MRIs on Monday morning. The reporter states that the injuries are considered "short-term" setbacks, and there is "no major concern for now." Although, he added that there is still testing taking place.

We may learn more later. Head coach Kyle Shanahan is scheduled to speak with reporters via a conference call on Monday at 3:30 p.m. PT.

Peter King names 49ers' Kyle Shanahan his Coach of the Week

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/153058-peter-king-names-49ers-kyle-shanahan-coach-week/

"The season was on the brink three weeks ago this morning," wrote King. "The Niners had just lost to Arizona to fall to 0-4 at home and 3-5 overall, and the big, bad Rams were due in Santa Clara the following Monday. Shanahan was 34-41 as a head coach, and he seemed headed to his fourth losing season out of five.

"In the three games since, the Niners have been one of football's most efficient teams, turning it over once, scoring 31, 31, and 34 points, and running for 536 yards in those three wins. Shanahan has managed Jimmy Garoppolo superbly, and the embattled quarterback is playing his best since midway through 2019."

Wide receiver Deebo Samuel suffered a groin strain. "I expect him to miss one to two weeks," Shanahan said.

Linebacker Fred Warner is dealing with a hamstring strain and will miss this weekend's game against the Seattle Seahawks. "Hopefully, he'll be back the next one," Shanahan said.

Running back Trey Sermon suffered an ankle sprain. "It's not [a high-ankle sprain], but it was a pretty bad one. He'll be out for a little while," Shanahan said. Sermon could land on the injured reserve list (short-term).

Linebacker Dre Greenlaw irritated his core muscle injury and is day-to-day. It's the same injury that landed him on injured reserve after Week 1. "We'll see how this week goes," Shanahan said.

Defensive end Kentavius Street is dealing with a wrist sprain and is day-to-day.

Linebacker Marcell Harris is in the concussion protocol.

Regarding Samuel and Warner's injuries, Shanahan added, "Strains are usually anywhere from one to two weeks, which I think was very good news considering what it could have been."

Wide receiver Deebo Samuel suffered a groin strain. "I expect him to miss one to two weeks," Shanahan said.

Linebacker Fred Warner is dealing with a hamstring strain and will miss this weekend's game against the Seattle Seahawks. "Hopefully, he'll be back the next one," Shanahan said.

Running back Trey Sermon suffered an ankle sprain. "It's not [a high-ankle sprain], but it was a pretty bad one. He'll be out for a little while," Shanahan said. Sermon could land on the injured reserve list (short-term).

RG3'D

Sure if you care to elaborate how he was 'RG3'd'

I am sorry but this is not how it works. You don't question something, and then keep the same question going by not understanding it. Either you have an answer to it, or you don't. Hell, in the NFL forum lexicon, "RG3'D" is a meme at this point, it's all understood, and even you understand that. Or not.

I am sorry but this is not how it works. You don't question something, and then keep the same question going by not understanding it. Either you have an answer to it, or you don't. Hell, in the NFL forum lexicon, "RG3'D" is a meme at this point, it's all understood, and even you understand that. Or not.
So you are just going to stand by the lazy analogy no matter how bad it is.  Got it.

Rg3 was done for life.  This is one to two weeks.  Calm your jets.

This is not about one player, it's more like how the 49ers are an oft injured team. Deebo is just another.

I guess Mostert would had been a more salient example, but well, he is on IR.

This is not about one player, it's more like how the 49ers are an oft injured team. Deebo is just another.

I guess Mostert would had been a more salient example, but well, he is on IR.
I can't disagree with that point, but some of the blame has to be put on the training staff.  At some point you need to get a new system in place to limit these injuries that happen year after year.

I can't disagree with that point, but some of the blame has to be put on the training staff.  At some point you need to get a new system in place to limit these injuries that happen year after year.

Which I agree with you on that. I posted earlier in this thread on the whole thing about how the 49ers have had an injury trend, well you can't call it an unfortunate trend anymore, it's more of a systemic culture due to how they look at and acquire talent, how Baalke and forward picked players with an injury history and how Parag Marathe is part of that equation until today...

Singeltary brought the idea of the 49ers being a physical smash mouth team on both sides of the ball. Scot McGlouhan was building the team into a sort of version of the early 90's Cowboys. Harbaugh took all that and brought it to double digit winning seasons.

What changed was when Baalke capitulated to Maratheball. Baalke is gone, Marathe is still there.

Baalke drafted and signed injured or troubled players.It was bottom line football, that Marathe could finesse in short term contracts.

Part of that was ditching the former strength and conditioning coach that McGlouhan had brought over that had the 49ers one of the most healthy teams in the NFL, to the most unhealthy teams in the NFL once Baalke and Marathe took over, and Marathe is still the number one guy when it comes to roster, over both Lynch and Shanahan.

This is a franchise that plays on the short term, maximum profit, like it was a tech startup. It's a "spreadsheet" roster. Like how you build your fantasy roster. The 49ers are built like a fantasy football team. Hell, everyone knows it.

Lombardi tweet:

49ers rush yds allowed per game:

Wks 1-9: 131.6 (#26)
Wks 10-now: 57.7 (#1)

Big complementary football stat. 

A: 49ers have been getting ahead
B: 49ers have been possessing football
C. DTs are tightening vs run. Armstead inside. Givens emerging. Maurice Hurst about to return

“He beat Josh Norman” announcer.

Yea, no ####, who hasn’t this season?

Nail in the coffin. If Jimmy G can’t manage the game, he’s useless, and today defines that. The front 7 has had pressure all game, and short handed to begin with.

I just want him & Kyle gone. Team is so undisciplined (one of a ton of Kyle complaints).

I turned it off only to see the last play after the Steeler game ended.

As usual, Seattle owns us. Kinda like how Shanahan owns Mcvay. It's just the way it is.

God I hope Carroll gets fired and Wilson goes somewhere else. So sick of those 2.

At 6-6, they are still in the hunt for a playoff spot, and still have a chance at a double digit win season. What's obvious at this point is the Garopollo era won't end where people expectations were (albeit way oversold, this was not a Super Bowl bound team from the start, just sold as one). But they still have a shot at running the table the rest of the way, which would land them at 11-6. I think they wind up at 9-8, and so far they have only one win against a team over .500. A few of those losses they looked like they had today against SEA, sloppy mistake prone, and with Garopollo having to attempt over 22-ish passes in SEA, it would have to be pristine mistake free football.

Bottom line is this was a game that had to be in Garopollo's hands, and why he still had a shot at it in the final possession, this was a Seahawks team primed to beat themselves down the stretch, and the 49ers didn't capitalize on it.

Honest question I was debating with a friend.

Do you think Kyle would trade Lance for Mac if he was offered it today?

As a 49ers fan, would you make this trade?

Honest question I was debating with a friend.

Do you think Kyle would trade Lance for Mac if he was offered it today?

As a 49ers fan, would you make this trade?

No. Mac is playing as well as he is because of Bill B, the system, and the players around him.  Lance's upside is huge, and at the same time his floor is lower than Macs, but I'd rather see what they have in Lance and let Mac be Brady Jr in New England.

Just wanted to bump this since the OP hasn't bumped it since last Thursday.

And because lol at how this thread as devolved into trading for a Mac Jones who whose agent knows Jones taking NE to the playoffs with Belichick is exponentially worth more than trading him for Trey Lance.

And super lulz at saying Jones is Tom Brady Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread