What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (7 Viewers)

Rd 8

Sound Affects - The Jam

hot on the heels of one of my biggest idols (Ian Hunter), here comes another, bigger ... the ModFather, himself. 

choosing one Jam album, and being the 🍒 popper at that, is like asking to pick your favorite child, i s'pose (i only have one, so, horrible analogy in my case).

ergo, i'll defer to the great Paul Weller, as he calls this album his favorite piece of work the Jam ever did ... caveat in that he has been known to slightly eschew some of the more raucous and frenetic earlier Jam platters (which are so ####### good, it pains me).

but if im'ma be on this eyeluhnd for awhile, i'll gladly take the greatest song this idol of mine ever laid down - "That's Entertainment" is beyond mere accolades and alms laid - it's a snapshot of an extremely talented artist reaching his creative apex.  

he was not alone, of course ... Foxton and Buckler made this the tightest trio 70s/80s Merry ol' ever saw - tiiiight - Foxton could out-Entwistle Entwistle, and Weller cashed that call a ton of times. 

i will pack the bonus edition, featuring covers of "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Waterloo Sunset" ... Weller, unlike most of his class, proudly wore his influences on his sleeve - he knew where he came from, and mined and homaged with his own meticulous, indelible stamp. 

i love the guy (these guys, as a unit, but Weller as the great lost/underappreciated savant of the era).

That's Entertainment

Set The House Ablaze

Last edited by a moderator:
Rd 8

Sound Affects - The Jam

hot on the heels of one of my biggest idols (Ian Hunter), here comes another, bigger ... the ModFather, himself. 

choosing one Jam album, and being the 🍒 popper at that, is like asking to pick your favorite child, i s'pose (i only have one, so, horrible analogy in my case).
word. great pick

I have two live albums on my radar, one will probably go in this draft, the other we could go 1000 rounds and no one would take it but me, and I'm not sure I will.  Both are "metal" bands but not very heavy.  
I have a guess what one of the two might be.   

I have a couple in mind, but like somebody said - I want to try to take stuff that I am currently listen to, and the ones that I am thinking of kick ###, but where on the rock/metal side and stuff that I listened to a bunch around MS era.   Kick ### albums though.  

He's had a long and illustrious career in the UK but has always been too British to break the States.  It's cool to be able to see him play 1000 capacity halls over here because he puts on incredible long shows.
yep, we've had this convo about Weller before - bless him.

i will be honest, i don't even have a list.  i'm just going where the mood takes me.

and i also agree with whomever mentioned upthread about not listening to lyrics.  I couldn't even tell you what 95% of my favorite songs are really about.  I am much more about the vibe or technical mastery.
Exact same for both points. Although I'm not even in for the technical mastery... 

Sorry, rockers.  We're goin' lo-fi.

8.16 - Elliott Smith - Either/Or (1997)

I'm taking the 20th anniversary version, so that I can get the first of my songs below, which was unreleased until that time.

I Figured You Out

2:45 AM

Important:

He was murdered.
Thought this was that Sam Smith current pop singer guy...and then thought, huh...seems an odd k4 choice, but ok...

Not sure I get the anti-live crowd in here.  Maybe that's because live music is a huge part of my normal listening.

But you're going to an island.  Take what you want.  Why are you worrying about some self-imposed rules?!?!
Why are you worrying about what other people are taking to their islands? :confused:

Rd 8

Sound Affects - The Jam

ergo, i'll defer to the great Paul Weller, as he calls this album his favorite piece of work the Jam ever did ... caveat in that he has been known to slightly eschew some of the more raucous and frenetic earlier Jam platters (which are so ####### good, it pains me).

but if im'ma be on this eyeluhnd for awhile, i'll gladly take the greatest song this idol of mine ever laid down - "That's Entertainment" is beyond mere accolades and alms laid - it's a snapshot of an extremely talented artist reaching his creative apex.  

he was not alone, of course ... Foxton and Buckler made this the tightest trio 70s/80s Merry ol' ever saw - tiiiight - Foxton could out-Enthwistle Entwistle, and Weller cashed that call a ton of times. 

i will pack the bonus edition, featuring covers of "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Waterloo Sunset" ... Weller, unlike most of his class, proudly wore his influences on his sleeve - he knew where he came from, and mined and homaged with his own meticulous, indelible stamp. 

i love the guy (these guys, as a unit, but Weller as the great lost/underappreciated savant of the era).

That's Entertainment

Set The House Ablaze
Fuuuuuuu<uuuuuugh. That was my next pick.

Just looking at that magical Disraeli Gears cover - not sure if it's been done, but an album cover draft would be pretty cool IMO.
Album packaging has been in decline since the 80s.  Twelve inch gatefold begat the CD jewel box with tiny font booklet which begat a 500x500 JPEG.

Fuuuuuuu<uuuuuugh. That was my next pick.
"That's Entertainment" had to be in this shuffle eventually - i'm pleased to drop it in ... and "Ablaze" is a bonus nugget showing Buckler's power.

surprised (?) it took 8 rds for them, but maybe that's 'cuz im so biased?

hell, i been lettin' them slide, myself ... but the catalog could withstand a few snipes ...

Just looking at that magical Disraeli Gears cover - not sure if it's been done, but an album cover draft would be pretty cool IMO.
i got suspended from school for that album cover. for some inane reason - or none at all - i used to carry my favorite vinyl under my books at school. the John & Yoko Two Virgins, then the Blind Faith covers started the school banning albums in the building. i was already at the phase where i never read more than the first sentence of anything i didnt have to, so i didnt know that the Vice Principal had expanded the list to include several rock records for content as well as covers. a teacher busted my brightly noticeable  copy of Disraeli Gears, LZ2 and a record i dont want to spotlight. they couldnt decide whether DG was banned for the cover's "endorsement" of psychedelia or the band name, but i got two days.

Lots of ways I debated on going with this pick, but I decided to go with something newer. I was introduced to this band in another music draft here so it’s fitting to take in this one. Yo Mama selects:

8.22 - Spoon - Hot Thoughts (2017)

1 - Hot Thoughts

2 - WhisperI’llistentohearit

3 - Do I Have to Talk You Into It

4 - First Caress

5 - Pink Up

6 - Can I Sit Next to You

7 - I Ain’t the One

8 - Tear it Down

9 - Shotgun

10 - Us

For songs, Ill go with:

Can I Sit Next to You

WhisperI’lllistentohearit

Once This Year’s Model came off the board, I waited on QB, I mean EC, the reality for me is he has Six  / Five  star records that I could take and be very happy with any one of them.  However, once My Aim is True went off the board, I didn’t want to wait any longer as the reality is he is a 1.1 artist for me along with the Heads and another Artist who has not been chosen (yet) but I will be taking in this draft as well.  He is still putting out top notch work, however his 10 year run from 77-87 was an incredible stretch of albums from an immense talent, this record for me has it all:

Elvis Costello – Armed Forces – 1979

• Party Girl
  • (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (written by Nick Lowe, who produced the record, but for me this is the definitive version from Elvis)

Wow another 1979 album for me, go figure...

Once This Year’s Model came off the board, I waited on QB, I mean EC, the reality for me is he has Six  / Five  star records that I could take and be very happy with any one of them.  However, once My Aim is True went off the board, I didn’t want to wait any longer as the reality is he is a 1.1 artist for me along with the Heads and another Artist who has not been chosen (yet) but I will be taking in this draft as well.  He is still putting out top notch work, however his 10 year run from 77-87 was an incredible stretch of albums from an immense talent, this record for me has it all:

• Party Girl
  • (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (written by Nick Lowe, who produced the record, but for me this is the definitive version from Elvis)

i have contended on this bored many times that it was the greatest year for music, 1971 be damned. 

Don't know about best, but '79 was a good one for sure.
i think that for all the divergent styles and splinters and offshoots and niches ... '79 is the king - you could swing a dead cat and hit any number of genres that pumped yer nads - the indudtry was exploding in directions never seen or imagined - the D.I.Y. ethos made it such a more inclusive tent - it was mossy, man ... mossy!

I decided on a couple all time albums that needed to be taken with my next two picks. And then albums went off the board from my two favorite bands, and I haven't drafted one by either of them yet. 

Decisions, decisions. 

i think that for all the divergent styles and splinters and offshoots and niches ... '79 is the king - you could swing a dead cat and hit any number of genres that pumped yer nads - the indudtry was exploding in directions never seen or imagined - the D.I.Y. ethos made it such a more inclusive tent - it was mossy, man ... mossy!
how old were you in '79?

Has shuke been around recently?

I've got my pick ready to go but I have to leave in awhile for a few hours (going to play some COVID-rules golf) so I'll check in before I go.

• Party Girl

Top three left on my list.  Much love.

Users who are viewing this thread