What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

Paul Simon - The Boxer Live - Once you get past a certain point, it doesn't matter how big the audience is.  This version needs more Artie

Operation Ivy - Bombshell - Nice segue.  Better think of something quick because this song doesn't sound like it's going to last very long.

Sonic Youth - Silver Rocket - Better than the SY I drafted

T Rex - The Slider - I read the oral biography of Bowie recently and the telling of his rivalry with Marc Bolan was pretty interesting.  The strings add a lot to this song.

U2 - Red Hill Mining Town - They always could deliver a great mid tempo anthem

The Doors - Break On Through -I had a bad roommate in college who used to listen to the Doors all the time.  Fortunately it was only for a summer.   It's a bad sign when you're a college student and your nickname is The Kid.

Modest Mouse - 3rd Planet - checks order of planets:  my very educated mother just served us nine pizzas.  Hey that's us and no more pizza.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny that those considering DMB all seemed to start spinning them at the same time. I entered the rabbit hole earlier this week and finally as clarity hit @Steve Tasker pulled the trigger. Like most I side with the live versions when it comes to jam bands, but there are exceptions to every rule – plus maybe this will appease the DMB is not a jam band crowd (or not - because nothing will).

Round 37 - Dave Matthews Band, Under The Table & Dreaming (1994)

The napster/mp3 talk earlier this week reminded me of my favorite offering by them. The stolen Lillywhite Sessions. They would later get bastardized and be mostly converted into the predominately awful Busted Stuff. The stolen material just struck me like nothing else of theirs has – it was raw, dark, somber. Those that have heard it know what I’m talking about – and if you have access to them I would be forever grateful if you got them back into my world.

But, anyway (foreshadowing?) - Satellite has always been nails on a chalkboard, but it’s the only skip on the record.  I suspect John Popper’s guest harmonica spot tickled too much of an over played bone with this crowd, so as much as I want to add that one I’ll go non-radio with my adds. And yes I get that non-radio didn’t spare your dorm room ears. I’d apologize, but I wouldn’t mean it.

Rhyme & Reason

Warehouse

Round 37 - Dave Matthews Band, Under The Table & Dreaming (1994)

The napster/mp3 talk earlier this week reminded me of my favorite offering by them. The stolen Lillywhite Sessions. They would later get bastardized and be mostly converted into the predominately awful Busted Stuff. The stolen material just struck me like nothing else of theirs has – it was raw, dark, somber. Those that have heard it know what I’m talking about – and if you have access to them I would be forever grateful if you got them back into my world.
Did you ever hear Ryley Walker's full album cover of the Lillywhite Sessions?

I don't know the originals but since I've never been a fan of Dave's voice, the covers remove that barrier for me.  The songs are very good.

You need some Lillywhite?  I have it somewhere.
My car was stolen in 2006. My entire CD catalog was in the backseat - hundreds of them. Them and the stereo system were the only thing worth a damn in that piece of metal and when they found it several days later they were the only things missing. I was able to replace most of it, but not Lillywhite.

When krista was talking about her long drive with her dad, and that her dad loved gospel, it reminded me that so do I. I'm not a church goer, but I'm spiritual, and even if I didn't believe in something nifty out there, I'd still think a lot of the music is awesome. I did have to go to church when I was little. Every Sunday I'd say,"Noooooooooo, let me stay home!" I always got in trouble for playing hangman or tic tac toe with my brother on the church pamphlet, or drawing pictures of people in the congregation. I did like vacation bible school. The music I loved, and my grandparents on both sides of the family always played it, so I heard it often. Plus mom played piano in church. Once I hit junior high I didn't have to go anymore. 

Last year when my grandmother was dying (she had the death rattle), I played a gospel mix for her on my phone. I saw her eyes flutter when I put it to her ear and started playing it. I think she was listening. It was guiding her home. 

Anyway, the Silver Fox is going to lead the Sunday gospel show. Don't be scared off if you hate country or gospel. He doesn't have a twang and the music is great. He was always a fabulous piano player, and he could do blues, soul, country, anything. The only thing he couldn't do was quit the bottle.

Lucky #37

Round 37

Silver Lining - Charlie Rich (1976)

Amazing Grace

Will the Circle Be Unbroken

Bonus Song - The Milky White Way  - slower song, but his piano playing and singing are great on it.

krista4 said:
What's happening IMO is that trolls are being allowed to overrun the site while good people are getting suspended and/or frustrated and leaving.  Redmond is an IRL friend of mine and one of the people around here I admire most.

Anyway, heard from him again, and he wanted to be sure I expressed his regrets to this group, because he is a fan of a whole lot of people in this thread and hopes he'll be able to stay in touch even if he doesn't come back on this site.  

He's not going to make the remaining picks; I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.
That's unfortunate.

I started following him on Twitter last year because he tweets a lot about the Seahawks and Washington Husky sports.  Very knowledgeable.  Good guy.  

That's unfortunate.

I started following him on Twitter last year because he tweets a lot about the Seahawks and Washington Husky sports.  Very knowledgeable.  Good guy.  
Someone pm me his twitter handle.  I don't really have any FBG peeps on social.  Actually, I have Oz on the Facebook. I need more in case I die suddenly, lol.

Sun Records Rockabilly cat too.
Yep, and when he first started out he was told he was too jazzy to make it on his own. He started writing and playing all sorts of music, and they couldn't help but take notice, and he is known for being one of the most creative artists to ever grace Sun Records.

Did a little back patio sunny day shuffle

My Mans Gone Now by Bill Evans: must be my lucky day to get jizzy jazz on the first spin 

Someone Like You by Adele: a little dramatic for my current mood, but it’s a beautiful song. To quote Stormzy, “you’re never too big for Adele”

The World at Large by Modest Mouse: more my current mood

Car by Built to Spill: nice, haven’t heard this song or band in YEARS

Garden of Earthly Delight by XTC: new to me and I dig it. Was this a hit for them? I feel like know nothing about this band. 

The Queen is Dead by The Smiths: unassailable in it’s greatness 

Yep, and when he first started out he was told he was too jazzy to make it on his own. He started writing and playing all sorts of music, and they couldn't help but take notice, and he is known for being one of the most creative artists to ever grace Sun Records.
Peter Guralnick's Feel Like Going Home has a chapter about Rich.  Charlie told some great stories and Guralnick put him in the context of Black and White music colliding in the 50s and 60s.

Northern Voice said:
I don't have much true 80s pop on my island.  Need to fix that up. These guys have endured better than most of their counterparts IMO and still release solid singles this century. 

37.09 - Pet Shop Boys, actually. (1987)

Track Listing

One More Chance
What Have I Done To Deserve This?
Shopping
Rent
Hit Music
It Couldn't Happen Here
It's A Sin
I Want To Wake Up
Heart
King's Cross
I drafted It's a Sin.

Rd 38 808s and Heartbreak by Kanye West (2008)

My favorite of his which is tough for me to even say because I can’t stand Kanye the person. This album is an outlier in his career and lots of fans hated it when it came out. I took an immediate liking recognizing it for the achievement time has shown it to be. Its not really a hip-hop album. Maybe alt-R&B? Synthpop? Art pop? It’s considered a massive turning point in hip hop and one of the most revolutionary and trend setting “rap albums”. Some might not like the trend but it works for me. His production is exquisite and he reveals his weaknesses much more than his typical egotism usually allows.

Welcome to Heartbreak  (either a real introspective look at the hollowness of fame and fortune or the greatest humble brag)

Love Lockdown  love it when the tribal drums hit

Last edited by a moderator:
Rd 38 808s and Heartbreak by Kanye West (2008)

My favorite of his which is tough for me to even say because I can’t stand Kanye the person. This album is an outlier in his career and lots of fans hated it when it came out. I took an immediate liking recognizing it for the achievement time has shown it to be. Its not really a hip-hop album. Maybe alt-R&B? Synthpop? Art pop? It’s considered a massive turning point in hip hop and one of the most revolutionary and trend setting “rap albums”. Some might not like the trend but it works for me. His production is exquisite and he reveals his weaknesses much more than his typical egotism usually allows.

Welcome to Heartbreak  (either a real introspective look at the hollowness of fame and fortune or the greatest humble brag)

Love Lockdown  love it when the tribal drums hit
This is an album that has only gotten better with time, I think.

Northern Voice said:
I don't have much true 80s pop on my island.  Need to fix that up. These guys have endured better than most of their counterparts IMO and still release solid singles this century. 

37.09 - Pet Shop Boys, actually. (1987)

Track Listing

One More Chance
What Have I Done To Deserve This?
Shopping
Rent
Hit Music
It Couldn't Happen Here
It's A Sin
I Want To Wake Up
Heart
King's Cross
I drafted It's a Sin.
I haven't added to the playlist yet, I'll switch it to Rent when I do. Did you take a live album from them?

Hmm... do I need some sort of permissions? Doesn't let me drag/drop.
anyone?  I'm barely able to manage.  
if this hasn't been addressed...

on non-Mac, you can right click the tune and then add to playlist. select from your available playlists (I believe you have to follow the FBG playlist first) and wala.
I'm not a Spotify expert but someone earlier also said you have to make sure you're following the playlist, I believe. 

When krista was talking about her long drive with her dad, and that her dad loved gospel, it reminded me that so do I. I'm not a church goer, but I'm spiritual, and even if I didn't believe in something nifty out there, I'd still think a lot of the music is awesome. I did have to go to church when I was little. Every Sunday I'd say,"Noooooooooo, let me stay home!" I always got in trouble for playing hangman or tic tac toe with my brother on the church pamphlet, or drawing pictures of people in the congregation. I did like vacation bible school. The music I loved, and my grandparents on both sides of the family always played it, so I heard it often. Plus mom played piano in church. Once I hit junior high I didn't have to go anymore. 

Last year when my grandmother was dying (she had the death rattle), I played a gospel mix for her on my phone. I saw her eyes flutter when I put it to her ear and started playing it. I think she was listening. It was guiding her home. 

Anyway, the Silver Fox is going to lead the Sunday gospel show. Don't be scared off if you hate country or gospel. He doesn't have a twang and the music is great. He was always a fabulous piano player, and he could do blues, soul, country, anything. The only thing he couldn't do was quit the bottle.
Charlie Rich was one of my maternal grandfather's favorites (the grandpa that died last year at 98).  As far as I know, all of my grandparents only listened to gospel and country-tinged gospel and gospel-tinged country music.  I still love it for that reason, too, though I'm neither religious nor spiritual.  :)  

I'm not a Spotify expert but someone earlier also said you have to make sure you're following the playlist, I believe. 
Hmm... doesn't seem to work at least not for me. I can add it to my library but I can't add any songs to it. I can drag and drop with other playlists I created though.  :kicksrock:

Going for the reissue of this album since the that is the only way to get one of the songs that is ideal for being on the deserted island. 

Round 38.) Billy Idol - Billy Idol (1983 reissue but originally released in 1982)

Dancing With Myself <--- what I would be doing a lot of

White Wedding

Users who are viewing this thread