What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Van Jefferson, PIT (2 Viewers)

Its my understanding that the Rams started running more 2 TE and they call duo (a double team block at the point of attack) as a reaction to defenses playing 6-1 front against the outside zone.

So its not so much about the personnel the Rams have but how defenses have been playing against them.

I'm bullish on him. Even more so with a new QB coming to town. Stafford don't know Jefferson from Goff or Woods. Could be #2 in the pecking order for all we know. Stafford loves the deep ball.

Beat the wire guy?
He’s available in my league, thinking of dropping Pittman for him. 

Van Jefferson ran more routes than Woods (23 vs 17) and got 1 less target. Stafford had pretty low attempts though. Looks like he’s their deep threat guy. Of course Woods will be more reliable but I think there’s going to be value with Van Jefferson this season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s available in my league, thinking of dropping Pittman for him. 

Van Jefferson ran more routes than Woods (23 vs 17) and got 1 less target. Stafford had pretty low attempts though. Looks like he’s their deep threat guy. Of course Woods will be more reliable but I think there’s going to be value with Van Jefferson this season. 
Higbee had a good game and didn't come off the field even once. There's a lot of mouths to feed, the volume might not be there. 

I like his potential as a flex during bye weeks but I mainly have him as kind of a handcuff for Cupp. He hopefully has stand alone value though. 

Insein said:
I like his potential as a flex during bye weeks but I mainly have him as kind of a handcuff for Cupp. He hopefully has stand alone value though. 
I'm not sure Van's role is changing all year even with the injury. They need a clear-out guy in this offense and they can't depend on D JAX staying healthy. 

This is what jumped out at me from the article, and why I picked him up this week in waivers:

"Jefferson was one of just nine NFL wide receivers to run a route on 100% of his team’s dropbacks in Week 2, which is an indication of future production."

It's obviously a crowded WR corps with Kupp and Woods, but if he's running just as many routes out there, some better production should follow. 

Van Jefferson caught 6-of-6 targets for 90 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' Week 4 loss to the Cardinals. 

The yards, catches and targets were all new season highs as Jefferson found the end zone for the first time since Week 1. The score was a 14-yarder in the first quarter where Jefferson worked himself open in the end zone after the Cardinals let Matthew Stafford have too much time. Jefferson's perimeter work is cutting into Robert Woods' floor and upside but isn't creating much WR4 value for himself. The Rams will visit the Seahawks for Thursday Night Football in Week 5. 

Oct 3, 2021, 8:10 PM ET

Van Jefferson caught 3-of-4 targets for 19 yards in the Rams' Week 6 win against the Giants. 

A nice start to the season has fizzled for Jefferson, who's now splitting the downfield pass-catching role with DeSean Jackson. In Week 6, Jefferson ran 24 pass routes to Jackson's nine routes. Jackson caught his lone target for six yards. Neither Jefferson nor Jackson will be anything close to reliable fantasy plays unless Cooper Kupp or Robert Woods miss time in 2021. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

I really like Van but he is completely buried on the Rams....not sure why they invested such a high pick on him.  Im still holding in dynasty for the future as I believe in the talent but it may be 4 years until he is unleashed

I really like Van but he is completely buried on the Rams....not sure why they invested such a high pick on him.  Im still holding in dynasty for the future as I believe in the talent but it may be 4 years until he is unleashed
Agreed. He’s a good receiver but they also signed both Woods and Kupp to big long-term contacts last September (right after they drafted Jefferson).

Of course, hard to fault anything the Rams seem to be doing.

Kiddnets said:
Agreed.  The problem is, Van Jefferson is already 25.  He is an emerging talent, but barring injury to either Woods or Kupp, Jefferson will be relegated to WR3 duty.

Agreed.  The problem is, Van Jefferson is already 25.  He is an emerging talent, but barring injury to either Woods or Kupp, Jefferson will be relegated to WR3 duty.
25 is hardly anywhere close to old for an WR, but the point about W3 is fair as long as Kupp and Woods are in town - which should be for at least a few more years, if not longer. 

25 is hardly anywhere close to old for an WR, but the point about W3 is fair as long as Kupp and Woods are in town - which should be for at least a few more years, if not longer. 
Sure, 25 is not WR old, but Jefferson is already an older second-year player.  By the time he finishes his rookie deal, Jefferson will be pushing 29.  In dynasty, if you are going to sit on a player, you want to know that the potential window of production will justify your patience and investment.

All that said, I still love the idea of getting Jefferson where you can.  He is an injury away from a potential significant role in an exciting offense.

Sure, 25 is not WR old, but Jefferson is already an older second-year player.  By the time he finishes his rookie deal, Jefferson will be pushing 29.  In dynasty, if you are going to sit on a player, you want to know that the potential window of production will justify your patience and investment.
I thought rookie contracts were 4 years, wouldn't that put him at about 27 when he's a FA? I do agree it's not optimal, but still could have a lot of relevance with his 2nd contract IMO.

I thought rookie contracts were 4 years, wouldn't that put him at about 27 when he's a FA? I do agree it's not optimal, but still could have a lot of relevance with his 2nd contract IMO.
You are correct.  Four years.  Sorry, I was allowing for a fifth year option, but Jefferson was a second rounder not a first rounder.  Jefferson will turn 28 the summer following his fourth season.

You are correct.  Four years.  Sorry, I was allowing for a fifth year option, but Jefferson was a second rounder not a first rounder.  Jefferson will turn 28 the summer following his fourth season.
I think it's less about how old he'll be, then how much a team is willing to spend for a guy that might not put up much numbers unless one of Woods/Kupp gets hurt, cut or traded by then. Unless Jefferson really shines in the next 2+ years, he'll probably be signed as a #2 or #3 again somewhere else for his second contract. 

So, what do people think about how the Odell signing affects Van Jefferson?  Knocks him down to #4?  Maybe even takes some targets from Woods?  I'll wait a game, but I'm wondering if my nice bench/bye week/flex WR is now nearly worthless.

So, what do people think about how the Odell signing affects Van Jefferson?  Knocks him down to #4?  Maybe even takes some targets from Woods?  I'll wait a game, but I'm wondering if my nice bench/bye week/flex WR is now nearly worthless.
I’m dropping him…he was good insurance if one of the top 2 wr’s went down but now that there’s another mouth to feed he’s going to the WW.

It doesn’t make sense to bring in that potential distraction and not use him.  Sure if he gets injured it won’t impact Jefferson but I haven’t perfected the ability to predict injuries.  

I don't see OBJ affecting Vans role. 

I think not only will it impact his role  but  that's not as relevant for what makes Van Jefferson the unquestionable loser of the day IMO.

I own a significant amount of Jefferson because I viewed him as a rare WR handcuff to not just one player but two. So my theory was if something happened to Woods or Kupp then Jefferson's value would ascend because I think he can do a lot of things they do.  Van Jefferson as a stand alone player was some kind of WR4-5 I only used in desperation mode. His value to me and why he was on a lot of rosters was his potential value as a two player handcuff. That potential value now seems shot.

He 100% affects it.  Who is he stealing  targets from then?

Woods hopefully.  Maybe McVay is going to go more pass heavy and it will be RB carries.

On one hand I'm bummed about this because I invested heavy on Van in my BB leagues.  My fellow owners were drafting the 12-15 deep into the 2021 rookie WR class and bypassing Van.  On the other hand, I also invested heavily in OBJ so this move is a massive upgrade over Cleveland.

I think not only will it impact his role  but  that's not as relevant for what makes Van Jefferson the unquestionable loser of the day IMO.

I own a significant amount of Jefferson because I viewed him as a rare WR handcuff to not just one player but two. So my theory was if something happened to Woods or Kupp then Jefferson's value would ascend because I think he can do a lot of things they do.  Van Jefferson as a stand alone player was some kind of WR4-5 I only used in desperation mode. His value to me and why he was on a lot of rosters was his potential value as a two player handcuff. That potential value now seems shot.

Agreed...also, from a big picture it is becoming very apparent that McVay can never have enough offensive toys so unless your name is Cooper Kupp there will always be the threat that be it thru the draft, free agency or trade another quality offensive weapon could be added and ding your value...easy to forget but Atwell was also added as a second round pick...hasn't done much and could end up being more of a special teamer but that was a #2 pick just like Akers and Jefferson added in the past two years along with Harris and Hopkins in the 4th...I don't think McVay will be ever satisfied he has enough quality skill players.

I don't see OBJ affecting Vans role. 
I believe he was out there almost the entire game on offense vs Tennessee, his role or snap count has to see a slide, not sure if you knew he was out there last 3 weeks...94% 84% and last week 96% of the snaps on offense he was out there...still only caught 3 balls a week the last month even with the increase in snaps.  

ODB, OBJ, whatever the 3 letters he goes by, I think he will impact the offense at least as a potential threat in that WR3 role, Kupp and Jefferson I noticed are always on the LOS, looks like Bobby Trees is usually lined up in the slot of Flanker position if you want to look at it that way. 

Jefferson is still the deep threat but to be startable on a week to week basis he needed the larger role and increased targets in the offense. And he was just starting to gain on Woods in market share. Played 100% of the offensive snaps last week for the first time (maybe 2nd). That went out the window with the OBJ signing. Unless the Rams have decided to run 4 wides as their new base, he's back to spot duty. He'll no doubt hit a HR or two here on out, but he'll just as often kill you with a handful of bust games. The waiver wire is flooded with WRs who on any given day can get you 15-20 while getting you 5 or less three times as often. Good luck playing that game.

I like Van Jefferson more than OBJ in this offense short term and maybe even long term, I luckily saw the news and like others combed the wire, seems many were leaving Van's down by the river(Great ref from above) since OBJ arrived. I think he will be a high ceiling, and moderately high floor. Maybe seems like a Tyler Lockett type of player. I think he can be a high end #3WR  to Mid #2WR. Week 10 should be a big week for him they need him now more than ever.  

I think Van Jefferson's prospects for this season look much better today than they did last Saturday. OBJ will most likely be asked to fill Wood's role and not be nearly as good doing it. I could easily see Jefferson picking up 2 more targets per game, which should push him to start status for fantasy purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread