What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (4 Viewers)

Well, there it is. Thanks.

Edit: Actually Emmert just said he was opposed to it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/22/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-inappropriate-for-schools-to-ask-players-to-sign-covid-19-waivers/

But hey, it's evil to suggest it on a message board, Cappy.
I didn’t say you were evil for suggesting it. I was clearly referring to the universities. Unless for some reason you thought I was suggesting you were the one holding the carrot of their NFL dreams over their head and had the ability to ask them to sign. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. It’s like what Jadeveon Clowney did, but It was COVID and not his ego. 
Ego? It is completely ridiculous players like Clowney have to spend a 3rd year in college. He did play all year even though he hurt his ankle in the first game of the season.

Seems very odd to judge a player for looking out for himself. The NCAA is certainly not supporting the best interests of players like him.

This "waiver' position doesn't make any sense to me.  The only reason I can see a school wanting a waiver is because they aren't confident in their measures, which would render their "we can do this safely" position moot, no?  I mean, accidents happen all the time.  The potential for catching this virus is part of what they sign up for.  I am unaware of a school that requires student athletes to sign a "waiver" to absolve the school of any liability should the student athlete get hurt at any point under their care.  What makes this different in the eyes of the school that they'd want a waiver?  Doesn't add up unless the schools are acknowledging that this is very different from everything else and a larger risk than what's normally asked of student athletes.  If that's the case, it's purely a CYA thing for the school because they know the risk, but don't believe the students do fully, yet they are letting them make that choice rather than guiding them through the whole thing.  THAT is what Cappy takes issue with because that's completely wrong and uncool.  

Mike Leach always has something to say...

"I think I'm not supposed to say anything, but I'm not a big fan," Leach said of the Big Ten leaning toward postponing its season. "I think we need to make sure that we're right and we're following the science on (COVID-19). People want to live their lives sand we need to aggressively pursue that as much as we can. Right now college football hasn't decided whether they're the dog or the vehicle. They don't know if they're going to stay."
Never stop, Mike.  Please, do not ever stop.  :lmao:

People are saying the schools are scared to play over liability of someone catching the virus. That would be the waiver. It's not like I'm the only one discussing this, so calling me or the idea evil, or even saying it's not on the table, is a little confusing.
A waiver would be useless.  College's could find a slew of 18 year old college students that would be willing to sign a waiver to have gladiator style fights to the death on national TV for money but that doesn't mean it would be OK or that they wouldn't be held accountable for actually doing it.

Or more directly related, there's a reason the NFL couldn't just have all of the players sign a concussion waiver to make that problem disappear.

I want CFB to play as much as anyone, but a waiver is not some magic bullet that is going to help with that.

ETA: If anything a waiver would just make it worse because it would be the colleges basically admitting that they think playing is unsafe.

Laugh all you want. You’re the one suggesting the waiver. Lol :shrug:  
As we've discussed, it has been out there. The NCAA didn't comment or rule on it because of me. It was an idea, isn't evil, and it's dead as far as the NCAA is concerned.

All I'm saying is, "If you want to play, go ahead. It isn't anyone else's fault if you catch the virus."

As we've discussed, it has been out there. The NCAA didn't comment or rule on it because of me. It was an idea, isn't evil, and it's dead as far as the NCAA is concerned.

All I'm saying is, "If you want to play, go ahead. It isn't anyone else's fault if you catch the virus."
It’s all good man. I don’t really care bc it’s not going to happen. I didn’t mean to imply you were evil, that’s silly. Love ya jeep :heart:  

It’s all good man. I don’t really care bc it’s not going to happen. I didn’t mean to imply you were evil, that’s silly. Love ya jeep :heart:  
I know I can give you #### and not have any hard feelings. Same for me. :11: I've heard the waiver talk out there, and just was surprised at the push back here.

The odds of the players catching it on the field are so small compared to off the field. People bring up the Marlins, but they all caught it by going out in Atlanta. Didn't some of them go to a strip club? Test, isolate when possible and especially necessary, sanitize, etc. etc. We all know what to do at this point. If hockey can go on indoors and on ice, I think football can happen, especially day games.

I was sure football was going to get cancelled with the talk the past couple of days, but I loved seeing the other leagues, some players, and coaches basically say, "no, we aren't with you" after the Big10 announced. I'm more optimistic it will happen, and regardless, the SEC is getting this more right with anyone with the delayed season. There's no reason to be deciding one way or the other right now.

To be clear I very much want them to play if it’s safe. Having them sign off on liability waivers because you have a dangling carrot over their head is Mr. Burns level of evil. 
What? My daughter signs a waiver every day to practice swimming for her club. This is what teams have to do to proceed. There is nothing evil about it. They have a choice. 

Edit: Having read the rest of the conversation, maybe I too am struggling to understand what you meant. 

Looks like its official in the Big Ten - 

BREAKING: The Big Ten presidents have voted to postpone the 2020 college football season with hopes of playing in the spring, per sources.

One of these barbecue belt schools are going to claim the easiest national title ever. Crappy year to have a bad team. 

I'm actually looking forward to following their progress this year - one of our all-time great players, with his jersey hanging in the rafters, Turner Battle just joined as an assistant.  He's been an assistant here, Chattanooga, and has most recently been at UAB for like 6-7 years.  He's perennially mentioned as a possible future head coaching candidate.  Hoping they can keep your momentum going.
Small world, eh? Let’s hope the powers that be can figure out how to get these guys in uniform at some point. It’s a brief window for these lower-tier teams to succeed when everything seems to be coming together, They deserve a chance to make the most of it. 

One of these barbecue belt schools are going to claim the easiest national title ever. Crappy year to have a bad team. 
I doubt anyone really claims one, but regardless, it will always be considered an asterisk. You're now missing #2, 6, 8, 15, 16, 18, 19, 22, 23, 24, and 25 from the preseason rankings I just used.

About the Big10's possible spring schedule:

There shouldn't be any spring seasons, at least not a full schedule. Asking players to play a full, or at least conference only schedule, take a couple of months off, and then come back for possibly a full season in the fall would be pretty rough. Pick up a significant injury in the spring, and you're missing the first part of the fall at a minimum. No seniors eligible and even plausibly going to be drafted are going to play, and some Juniors as well. I think some of the proposed "spring" schedules were starting in January or February, and while I think the Covid concerns for the fall are probably not legitimate, starting before it started warming again, especially for the Big10 schools, wouldn't be solving that possible problem anyway.

Like I said in one post, I think the SEC has one thing right in waiting for late September to start the season. The NFL will have a couple of games under their belt, hopefully, and more will be known about these hot spot states whose 7 day averages have been dropping in most, if not all metrics.

WHat is the downside to a spring season?  It would be the only football on TV, more likely to have fans at games, better weather, etc.  They'd definitely have to push the NFL draft back, but I'd actually be excited to have college football on during the spring when there's nothing else on.

@Bfarrell727: I feel like the college football season is playing out like a season of Survivor. The SEC and the ACC are in an alliance trying to get the Big 12 to join them in voting out the Big Ten and the Pac-12.

WHat is the downside to a spring season?  It would be the only football on TV, more likely to have fans at games, better weather, etc.  They'd definitely have to push the NFL draft back, but I'd actually be excited to have college football on during the spring when there's nothing else on.
Things won't necessarily be better. January/February height of flu season.

Top players sitting out with draft up coming...

When do you want to start this season, and how many games do you want to play?

When do you want to start this season, and how many games do you want to play?
I'm not sure... haven't thought that far about it.

What about conference only games, so 9 games.  1 bye week.  Feb 27-May 1 is the season.  Playoffs all throughout May.  Draft on June 1st.

Things won't necessarily be better. January/February height of flu season.

Top players sitting out with draft up coming...
Ya they won't necessarily be better but that's the hope.  I don't think cold/flu season has much to do with it.

In terms of the players, this could be a major concern for sure. 

Brett McMurphy@Brett_McMurphy

Pac-12 has canceled fall football season, source told @Stadium

. “We’re done,” source said. Official announcement at 4:30 p.m. ET

What about conference only games, so 9 games.  1 bye week.  Feb 27-May 1 is the season.  Playoffs all throughout May.  Draft on June 1st.
I won't rehash the flu season thing since I see it was covered while I was typing. I do think we're figuring out Covid isn't a seasonal thing with this summertime outbreak in warmer states.

You're still giving the players 5 less months to recover from one season to the next. Pretty brutal for the players who get major injuries, as I said before. You're also cancelling spring practice, again. 

I doubt the NFL is pushing back the draft. Why would they care? And a month to get through draft evals? I doubt they'd even have a combine on that schedule. No OTAs. It's just not going to happen. I looked up some NFL schedules for an idea on when they do things. Do you think they want to work on an accelerated schedule because college football didn't happen on time? When do they start regular practice for preseason games in August? July something, at least. The NFL just isn't going to let college football dictate it's time table, and especially not a couple of conferences. Maybe... maybe if all conferences cancel, but I still doubt it.

Atlanta Falcons

First day: April 15
Rookie minicamp: May 10-12
OTA offseason workouts: May 20-21, May 23, May 29-31, June 3-4, June 6
Mandatory minicamp: June 11-13

Can't imagine too many players projected to go in the first few rounds would want to play and risk injury.

At least with an injury in a fall season - you have a good 9 months to re-hab.  

Ya they won't necessarily be better but that's the hope.  I don't think cold/flu season has much to do with it.

In terms of the players, this could be a major concern for sure. 
Cold/flu season matters because they should temperature check every player every practice and if one player comes down with the traditional flu suddenly you're quarantining and testing a bunch of players. If you have a fever of 101, does 1 negative test clear you?

Can't imagine too many players projected to go in the first few rounds would want to play and risk injury.

At least with an injury in a fall season - you have a good 9 months to re-hab.  

Cold/flu season matters because they should temperature check every player every practice and if one player comes down with the traditional flu suddenly you're quarantining and testing a bunch of players. If you have a fever of 101, does 1 negative test clear you?
Both good points. 

Here's a waiver we can all get behind. These Seniors now stuck on teams who aren't playing should be allowed to transfer immediately. You would have to also ease roster restrictions wherever they landed, of course.

Joe Burrow said it best here:

https://twitter.com/JoeyB/status/1292850869252362240?s=20
I am not so sure its a great idea.  What do you say to the kids in your program that have been putting in the work to get their shot at playing time?  Why would we favor players from other schools?

It certainly makes sense that players could sit out this year if they want, even in the spring, and retain a year of eligibility.  But, I don't think the balance of fairness is there to allow immediate transfers.

How does a waiver protect a University from being sued by a general student?  Say there's a outbreak on a team and then some regular students get it (Since they co-mingle) and a student dies.  How does a waiver protect the University in that case?  Those Presidents have 30,000 sometimes 40,000 students to think about not just the 150 on the football team.  It really sucks but I understand.

0 chance a spring season happens.  Football players need an offseason to allow their bodies to heal and then prepare for an upcoming grueling season.  A couple of months isn't enough time to accomplish that.

How does a waiver protect a University from being sued by a general student?  Say there's a breakout on a team and then some regular students get it (Since they co-mingle) and a student dies.  How does a waiver protect the University in that case?  Those Presidents have 30,000 sometimes 40,000 students to think about not just the 150 on the football team.  It really sucks but I understand.
How do you prove they got it from the team and not other students?

Deamon said:
The NFL is not moving its draft.  It is the last day of its year; from there, the contract negotiations, pre-camp workouts, minicamps, etc. are all on a pretty rigid schedule.  Given them credit; the NFL is a machine about those things.  

Thus, with respect to the draft, eligible juniors and seniors are not coming out.  You really think someone's 1) going to jeopardize their draft status and 2) beat their body up for ol' State?  Forget it.

Plus, "spring" is a pretty loose term in many parts of the upper midwest/mid-Atlantic states.  Here in NW PA, many a child has gone to Easter service wearing their winter coat over their new Easter dress/clothes.

The Gator said:
I am not so sure its a great idea.  What do you say to the kids in your program that have been putting in the work to get their shot at playing time?  Why would we favor players from other schools?

It certainly makes sense that players could sit out this year if they want, even in the spring, and retain a year of eligibility.  But, I don't think the balance of fairness is there to allow immediate transfers.
I think all players should be given an extra year of eligibility, but there is still a domino effect. We're just putting the playing time hurt on next year's incoming freshmen, and there will have to be roster size allowances made if any of that is going to work. Players can sit out, but only if they have a redshirt.

I just hate it for the kids, and Joe Burrow might have been drafted, but he wouldn't have even been picked in the second round.

BTW, players can transfer right now, and the NCAA can grant the waiver. That's not a rule change which needs to be put in place. What I think would need to be put in place is a roster size expansion since I'm also guessing only 3 conferences will even bother with playing in the fall, and I imagine most of those schools are already at the 85 limit. I guess you could land at Vandy or Duke.

The ACC seems like they want to play even more than the SEC. SEC says it won't go it alone. I think they'll do it as a 3 some with the Big12. I don't know about 2. I hope Austin isn't making the decisions for the other schools.

The NFL is not moving its draft.  It is the last day of its year; from there, the contract negotiations, pre-camp workouts, minicamps, etc. are all on a pretty rigid schedule.  Given them credit; the NFL is a machine about those things.  

Thus, with respect to the draft, eligible juniors and seniors are not coming out.  You really think someone's 1) going to jeopardize their draft status and 2) beat their body up for ol' State?  Forget it.

Plus, "spring" is a pretty loose term in many parts of the upper midwest/mid-Atlantic states.  Here in NW PA, many a child has gone to Easter service wearing their winter coat over their new Easter dress/clothes.
I don't think weather is a huge issue.  They play in Dec/Jan, March would be as warm as those months.

I don't think the ACC or SEC will play this fall.

What is the upside?  I assume no fans in the stands - so no college atmosphere.  If we have learned anything from this summer, its that we don't want a bunch of college aged kids hanging out at parties, tailgates, etc.

Any student-athlete that gets seriously sick, or heaven-forbid, dies - is going to sue the bejebus out of the school, and the conference for allowing play - when everyone else was cancelling.

For what?

What is the upside?  I assume no fans in the stands - so no college atmosphere.  If we have learned anything from this summer, its that we don't want a bunch of college aged kids hanging out at parties, tailgates, etc.

Any student-athlete that gets seriously sick, or heaven-forbid, dies - is going to sue the bejebus out of the school, and the conference for allowing play - when everyone else was cancelling.

For what?
I would be shocked if some conferences decided to play after these other ones voted unanimously not to.  I can't see that happening at all.

For what?
Boatloads of cash.

I would be shocked if some conferences decided to play after these other ones voted unanimously not to.  I can't see that happening at all.
I don't know - lot of states (like Georgia) doing their own thing with kids that aren't adults (albeit with an option to be remote).  I'm not saying it's smart or will happen but it wouldn't shock me at all for them to try it.

They can probably get more cash with a Spring Season, with full stadiums...
Maybe, but there won't be a spring season.   There's no guarantee that anything will improve by then, and the scheduling would be nearly impossible.  Television ratings for fall football will be ridiculous.

I don't know - lot of states (like Georgia) doing their own thing with kids that aren't adults (albeit with an option to be remote).  I'm not saying it's smart or will happen but it wouldn't shock me at all for them to try it.
If the other conferences were close votes, that's one thing.  We're talking 12-0 in the Pac.  It would be shocking to me if they played a season.  Just move everything to spring.

Users who are viewing this thread