Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Vote on the new Washington Redskins name


Vote on these potential Washington Redskins names  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Warriors /thread

In the other thread a poster said to use the old yellow helmet except replace the "R" with a "W".  http://travelins.blogspot.com/2008/07/final-helmet-in-collection-i-hope.html

I wouldn't mind going back to this helmet - https://www.collectible-supplies.com/washington-redskins-1965-69-throwback-riddell-mini-helmet/

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mystery Achiever said:

I think Red Tails for the Tuskegee Airmen is great.

 

I think keeping any name that begins with "red" is gonna make it hard to get into a new habit and move on, personally. For fans, commentators, and media. It's too similar when rolling off the tongue, a clean break would be tough imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

I think Red Tails for the Tuskegee Airmen is great.

“It glorifies war” will be the next complaint. 
 

1 minute ago, travdogg said:

I don't mind Hogs. Plus, its already associated with the team.

fat shaming

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Warriors /thread

In the other thread a poster said to use the old yellow helmet except replace the "R" with a "W".  http://travelins.blogspot.com/2008/07/final-helmet-in-collection-i-hope.html

I wouldn't mind going back to this helmet - https://www.collectible-supplies.com/washington-redskins-1965-69-throwback-riddell-mini-helmet/

I like both of these ideas.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Casting Couch said:

I would wager on the Warriors, as Snyder trademarked the name when the controvery initially started 

 

He owned the trademark from 2000-2004, but no longer does (not that that would prevent him from buying it from whoever has had it for the last few years) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

He owned the trademark from 2000-2004, but no longer does (not that that would prevent him from buying it from whoever has had it for the last few years) 

Interesting, Snyder's neighbor trademarked Washington Bravehearts back in 2013, not sure where things stand today with the Bravehearts option.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1824960-washington-bravehearts-name-trademarked-by-dan-snyders-neighbor#:~:text='Washington Bravehearts' Trademarked by Neighbor of Redskins Owner Dan Snyder,-Patrick Clarke Invalid&text=In what could be the,the name "Washington Bravehearts."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Casting Couch said:

A racist and homophobic film produced by a racist man

Edited by I-ROK
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Warriors /thread

In the other thread a poster said to use the old yellow helmet except replace the "R" with a "W".  http://travelins.blogspot.com/2008/07/final-helmet-in-collection-i-hope.html

I wouldn't mind going back to this helmet - https://www.collectible-supplies.com/washington-redskins-1965-69-throwback-riddell-mini-helmet/

Considered a racist name as a Native American reference. Would have to get rid of all of the feathers off those logos and remove any Native American references. I believe there was a college that changed their name from Warriors due to it being called racist 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

Considered a racist name as a Native American reference. Would have to get rid of all of the feathers off those logos and remove any Native American references. I believe there was a college that changed their name from Warriors due to it being called racist 

Warriors is legit. The Golden State Warriors have not received any pressure to change their name. This is a non-issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

Considered a racist name as a Native American reference. Would have to get rid of all of the feathers off those logos and remove any Native American references. I believe there was a college that changed their name from Warriors due to it being called racist 

For crying out loud!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Casting Couch said:

Warriors is legit. The Golden State Warriors have not received any pressure to change their name. This is a non-issue.

 

They dropped the native imagery though, focusing on the golden state part in the logo but keeping the name. Keeping the combo of the native american imagery AND the name warriors is considered a problem because it reinforces the negative stereotype of Native Americans as primarily violent savages like in a John Wayne movie or something, reducing their culture down to...war.

The Redskins>Warriors move would be a transparent attempt to just keep the same Native American theme alive, which all the concept art uniforms reinforces, and that combo seems like it won't be accepted either. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

They dropped the native imagery though, focusing on the golden state part in the logo but keeping the name. Keeping the combo of the native american imagery AND the name warriors is considered a problem because it reinforces the negative stereotype of Native Americans as primarily violent savages like in a John Wayne movie.

The Redskins>Warriors move would be a transparent attempt to just keep the same Native American theme alive and that combo seems like it won't be accepted either.

This.

the helmet with the R replaced with the W would still be racist because it paints native Americans as savage warriors

Same with any logo with an arrow/spear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

They dropped the native imagery though, focusing on the golden state part in the logo but keeping the name. Keeping the combo of the native american imagery AND the name warriors is considered a problem because it reinforces the negative stereotype of Native Americans as primarily violent savages like in a John Wayne movie.

The Redskins>Warriors move would be a transparent attempt to just keep the same Native American theme alive and that combo seems like it won't be accepted either.

Native Americans should be proud for them to use it as a theme.  I agree Redskins is a bad name, but there are more honorable names to use as a Native American theme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

For crying out loud!!!!!

Yep. My thoughts exactly

 

I’ll plant my flag that whatever they decide won’t be good enough. You will never appease the mob. Unless maybe you rename the team the Mob. But maybe even then it’s racist to Russians, Italians, or any other nationality with historical mobs ties 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

Native Americans should be proud for them to use it as a theme.  I agree Redskins is a bad name, but there are more honorable names to use as a Native American theme.

Most are. What “they” will do is find one Native American somewhere obscure who is offended and use that person to paint a picture that the name is racist

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, I-ROK said:

Most are. What “they” will do is find one Native American somewhere obscure who is offended and use that person to paint a picture that the name is racist

I never thought I would live in an America where so few people can have more of say than the majority.  All you have to do is say you are offended.  Now I will say that I've always thought the "Redskins" name was offensive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Native Americans should be proud for them to use it as a theme.  I agree Redskins is a bad name, but there are more honorable names to use as a Native American theme.

 

I'll start by saying that it isn't anyone's place to decide if someone else should be "proud" or not, or whatever. You said a similar thing in the other thread. Weird thing to project so confidently.

I posted this in the other thread, but it pertains to you saying the thing about fixing this by picking a more "honorable" Native American-related name and calling it a day:

It's tough, a lot of the Native Americans I've seen actually speak out about this are not interested in being more appropriately "honored" like people seem to be suggesting. Even though what they propose isn't necessarily offensive like "Redskins", for many the goal is to not have their tribal cultures, all of which were victim to a brutal systematic genocide, appropriated for our entertainment. Even if the thought is in the right place in fixing this by "honoring" them correctly, many feel their historical culture is not fit to be a money-making mascot in a present-day capitalist society. I think we can respect that and find a new non-NA name, personally. The only way this works is if you bring a NA group in as an ownership partner so that they can benefit from their own culture's use and have a say, which won't happen.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnnyU said:

I never thought I would live in an America where so few people can have more of say than the majority.  All you have to do is say you are offended.  Now I will say that I've always thought the "Redskins" name was offensive.

Well without a doubt it’s an offensive nickname. My bone to pick is with these other names that are considered racist but shouldn’t be. I read an article that said the KC Chiefs and Atlanta Braves should change their racist names... I feel like those names honor native Americans. Same as Warriors. Even if they do have Native American references to their logos (Minus the Cleveland Indians... that mascot however, iifc, was designed by a Native American...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

I'll start by saying that it isn't anyone's place to decide if someone else should be "proud" or not, or whatever. You said a similar thing in the other thread.

I posted this in the other thread, but it pertains to you saying the thing about fixing this by picking a more "honorable" Native American-related name and calling it a day:

It's tough, a lot of the Native Americans I've seen actually speak out about this are not interested in being more appropriately "honored" like people seems to be suggesting. Even though what they propose isn't necessarily offensive like "Redskins", for many the goal is to not have their tribal cultures, all of which were victim to a brutal systematic genocide, appropriated for our entertainment. Even if the thought is in the right place in fixing this by "honoring" them correctly, many feel their historical culture is not fit to be a money-making mascot in a present-day capitalist society. I think we can respect that and find a new non-NA name, personally. The only way this works is if you bring a NA group in as an ownership partner so that they can benefit from their own culture's use and have a say, which won't happen. 

I see nothing wrong with keeping a Native American theme.  NOTHING

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, I-ROK said:

Well without a doubt it’s an offensive nickname. My bone to pick is with these other names that are considered racist but shouldn’t be. I read an article that said the KC Chiefs and Atlanta Braves should change their racist names... I feel like those names honor native Americans. Same as Warriors. Even if they do have Native American references to their logos (Minus the Cleveland Indians... that mascot however, iifc, was designed by a Native American...)

I think people should exhale and quit being offended by everything.  Yes, the "Redskins" is offensive, but the way everything is going now, everything is offensive and it needs to stop.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I see nothing wrong with keeping a Native American theme.  NOTHING

 

Good for you. You aren't really the demographic that matters here though.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

I'll start by saying that it isn't anyone's place to decide if someone else should be "proud" or not, or whatever. You said a similar thing in the other thread. Weird thing to project so confidently.

Conversely, we also shouldn’t tell people what they should be offended over... which is out of control today 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Good for you. You aren't really the demographic that matters here though.

Weak.  We all have opinions on the subject now don't we?  I'd be willing to bet that "MOST" Native Americans have no problem with a sports team using their heritage as a theme.  It just needs to be done in an honorable way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Casting Couch said:

Warriors is legit. The Golden State Warriors have not received any pressure to change their name. This is a non-issue.

Give it time.  I think there are people who will find an issue with anything - consider "Vanilla Yogurt" for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, GordonGekko said:

 

The Borlaugs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

"Semi-Dwarf" wheat. Changed the world. Changed the way the world produced food. Has often been cited as saving billions from starvation on it's impact.

He was also an athlete. Not a notable one, but he played football and wrestled.

When Fed Ex field fills up, my guess is every person who walks or has walked into that stadium, has had someone in their life impacted positively by Borlaug. How many people can say that?

The NBA is talking about putting "Black Lives Matter" on it's courts. What about putting "Borlaug" on it's courts?

He died over a decade ago, but if he was alive, what would he name the Redskins? Do you not think he should have the right to name a team, any team or even all NFL teams after changing the entire world and saving countless souls from starvation?

No kid has a Norman Borlaug poster on their wall. They might have one of an athlete caught for drugs, rape, murder or bringing a gun to the airport.

Some of you guys talk about honoring "heroes" of the past. But really just the black ones. Someone will shout, what the flying #### does wheat have to do with the NFL? Upon which I'll ask what do WW2 pilots have to do with the NFL?

Norman Borlaug Matters.

Dwarf is offensive. Any man who created something so offensive shouldn’t have a team named after him

20 minutes ago, Boston said:

Go with something that truly represents DC...The Washington Deep Staters

The “deep state” doesn’t exist, they will say

16 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

How about Gridlock?

Promotes private car ownership which is bad and causes global warming, er, climate change

9 minutes ago, Casting Couch said:

Just get back to real.

the WASHINGTON BULLETS

I’m told guns kill people

1 minute ago, huthut said:

The Washington Washingtons, where the logo is just the picture of Washington from a quarter.

George Washington was a racist, remember?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Washington Please Don't Accuse Us of Racism Anymore, Oh God, Seriously We're Really Trying Here What More Do You Want From Us We'll Give You Whatever You Want Here Take The Keys to My Car We're Cool Now Right....s

TLDR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

In the other thread a poster said to use the old yellow helmet except replace the "R" with a "W".  http://travelins.blogspot.com/2008/07/final-helmet-in-collection-i-hope.html

The suggestions with "R" in the title work well here too for that. I just hope we aren't going to trash the iconic look of one of the NFL's oldest franchises into something completely different. The name's time seems finally up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, I-ROK said:

Considered a racist name as a Native American reference. Would have to get rid of all of the feathers off those logos and remove any Native American references. I believe there was a college that changed their name from Warriors due to it being called racist 

Marquette University changed to Golden Eagles.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...