Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter

26 minutes ago, Eephus said:

That's one of the reasons I ditched the rule.  We're at the mercy of Spotify and some songs that would have been eligible as singles only have longer versions available for streaming.

So I can kill my all 6 minute song shtick idea.

3 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

i was going to go with a dance theme and incorporate a good amount of techno, but then saw what a landmine the 70s through early 80s were so i'm pivoting

Not a fan of disco? 

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

That takes the "G n T" and lifts it up to an "EIC". 

My BFF's father was a Pommy and he and the Mrs. had G&Ts in rattan chairs on their breezway at vespers of each temperate day. Ol' George looked like he imagined an African in full tribal dress to be fanning him with each sip.

• Laughing 2

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

So I can kill my all 6 minute song shtick idea.

You can draft anything you want but it's going to cut down on your jukebox revenues. 

Binky's pick clocks in at a cool 1:36.  Ka-ching!!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

My BFF's father was a Pommy and he and the Mrs. had G&Ts in rattan chairs on their breezway at vespers of each temperate day. Ol' George looked like he imagined an African in full tribal dress to be fanning him with each sip.

A regular Colonel Blimp

I think to make my list work, I have to to ignore some of the biggest artists from Detroit who were big but I don't think represented Detroit. No Glenn Frey, Bill Haley, Alice Cooper or Ted Nugent. Also, even though they fully belong, there will be no Kid Rock or ICP. 

Edited by Ilov80s

13 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I want part of somebody's theme to be drafting the song that samples the pick that Rock took before he has a chance to take it.  

Rock's at the turn. Can't do it! Everything from here on out is a diptych, hopefully. 

Edited by rockaction

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

The tips to a good gin and tonic:

1. Don't be too cheap with the gin, but I don't think you need to splurge either

2. Do splurge for the tonic water, no cheap crap. Plus get the mini cans and not the big plastic bottle. That bottle will go flat before you finish it. 

3. You have to get some fresh fruit grapefruit and lime in there. 

Tonight was St. Germain cocktail night at the 4 household.  My mom bought me a subscription to something called Shaker and Spoon, which is a service that sends you all the fixin's and recipes for fancy cocktails once a month.  That is, all the fixin's except the damn booze!  And as it turns out, St. Germain is quite expensive.  A small bottle is $25, and I did not get a small bottle.

Anyway, ex-Mr. krista came over (yes we hang out) and we made cocktails and ate pizza (the last bit probably goes without saying).  We had:

The Myrtille Spritz, which involved St. Germain, blueberry-cinnamon syrup, lemon juice, sparkling wine, and a cinnamon stick.

The Green Thumb Cooler, which involved St. Germain, garden spice, salted green garden shrub, celery bitters, and lime seltzer.

Darkened Summer Moon, which involved St. Germain, neri goma syrup, lemon juice, makrut lime leaves, and sparkling wine.

The first one was the winner.

Pro tip:  if you're giving someone a gift, try to make it something that doesn't require them to go buy expensive liquors and spend 20 minutes making a cocktail.  But it's kind of fun anyway.

Also, I hope the featured liquor is never gin.  :X 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

How can you resist a guy who rhymes "things" with "things"? 

That is really far down on my list of reasons I won't be drafting Kid Rock 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Also e-Mk showed up with vinyl copies of McCartney and London Town for me that he'd picked up at a junk shop.  Score!

I wasn't in the FFA regularly when you did your Beatles rankings, so I'm going through that thread now. Stellar work by you and him. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I wasn't in the FFA regularly when you did your Beatles rankings, so I'm going through that thread now. Stellar work by you and him. 

Thanks!!

I'm going to do a post-Beatles Beatles output ranking thread starting in the next month (not all of them since there's too much - just those I enjoy the most, so probably 250-300 songs).  C'mon by if you're so inclined!  And I'd love to hear your Beatles favorites and thoughts anytime, too.

Just now, krista4 said:

Thanks!!

I'm going to do a post-Beatles Beatles output ranking thread starting in the next month (not all of them since there's too much - just those I enjoy the most, so probably 250-300 songs).  C'mon by if you're so inclined!  And I'd love to hear your Beatles favorites and thoughts anytime, too.

I certainly will! 

However, I'm yet another person who likes Savoy Truffle way more than you. I received the entire Beatles' output on CD for my 18th birthday in 1989 and made a 90-minute tape of my favorites for my Walkman. That one made the cut. 

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I certainly will! 

However, I'm yet another person who likes Savoy Truffle way more than you. I received the entire Beatles' output on CD for my 18th birthday in 1989 and made a 90-minute tape of my favorites for my Walkman. That one made the cut. 

Yeah, I definitely don't hate it but don't appreciate it as much as a lot of other people.  Although if I were to do the rankings again right now, a lot of stuff would move around!  It's constantly changing.  Are you a George guy generally?

You were one lucky 18-year-old.  :wub: 

My theme really sucks compared to a lot of yours, by the way.  I'm sticking with it anyway, but it was more for a goof than for an education like 80s's or a feel like KP's.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1

I love all of them but I would have to say George is #1 for me. He was much more represented on that 90-minute tape than he was on a typical Beatles album. 

I made my 9-year-old sit through the Ringo birthday special and, a few weeks ago, McCartney's Rockshow concert film. Doing what I can. 

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

is it bad that i can find a redeeming quality for ICP but not kid rock's music?

No, I actually think ICP is more influential in the 313 music scene than Kid Rock and that is ignoring the politics 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I must have misread then.  I thought the song you took at 1 will be sampled in the song you take at 2, etc.. 

Except for songs one and fifty, this will indeed hopefully be the case, though I've reserved the right to pick only aspect of the song (meaning whether it is the sampled song or the song doing the sampling) if the year is already off the board for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Uruk-Hai said:

It's continuing to decimate the sports draft. I think poor Getz got nailed while he still had 6 categories to judge.  :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that!  And he was just picking up the judging from other people who either got timeouts or otherwise fell down on the job, I think.  That's been a super-fun draft to watch.

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I don't know if that b-side reminder was directed at anyone, but I did declare mine in my pick.  I noticed it wasn't put in the spreadsheet, though, so I put it in.

It was a cool little piano and organ boogie :thumbup:

I now know three songs by Procol Harum

• Like 1

Just now, krista4 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that!  And he was just picking up the judging from other people who either got timeouts or otherwise fell down on the job, I think.  That's been a super-fun draft to watch.

I've enjoyed it, too - even if I got called "the worst judge of all time" by one drafter.

Getz had to get his own kid to pick up scooby's categories when scoob got napalmed. 

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I've enjoyed it, too - even if I got called "the worst judge of all time" by one drafter.

Getz had to get his own kid to pick up scooby's categories when scoob got napalmed. 

Was it wikkid?  :lmao:  I doubt it, but I know he doesn't hold back on opinions of judges (and mostly I agree).  Or was it one of the drafters who's taking it waaayyyyaayayyy too seriously?  There are a few.  :)