What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players opting out of the 2020 season - Deadline Aug 6...unless you've got a good reason to opt out later (1 Viewer)

Source: #Eagles speedy WR Marquise Goodwin plans to opt-out for the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns. He has informed the team, who traded for him during the draft. Goodwin has a 5-month daughter after his wife previously had three miscarriages. Family is the most important.

It's definitely purposeful from the organization strong arming the guys into opting out. Little stewie just explained how the team benefits. They're tanking for Lawrence and saving a bunch of cap for next year. 
Thanks for answer but I don't buy Bill Belichick tanking in the least.

I think it's just a combo of a variety of factors ranging from money earned, championships won, pushing guaranteed salary to 2021,   a few NE players have or are expecting newborns, and the overall grind of a season playing for NE and the impact that can have.

I'm still surprised so many on one team, but I don't think it's a conspiracy. 

I do find myself wondering if Cam is having second thoughts. To be honest I thought NE was about to surprise a lot of people this year, felt like having the best and most prepared head coach in a season like this would be absolutely huge. Not writing them off yet but degree of difficulty just went up....and if they were just about any other division I would write them off.

I think it's just a combo of a variety of factors ranging from money earned, championships won, pushing guaranteed salary to 2021,   a few NE players have or are expecting newborns, and the overall grind of a season playing for NE and the impact that can have.

I do find myself wondering if Cam is having second thoughts. To be honest I thought NE was about to surprise a lot of people this year, felt like having the best and most prepared head coach in a season like this would be absolutely huge. Not writing them off yet but degree of difficulty just went up....and if they were just about any other division I would write them off.
Cam should be mad that he ended up signing for essentially the league minimum plus incentives . . . and NE could end up with $30 million in cap space. With Chung opting out, NE has gone from 32nd in cap space to having the 2nd most cap space in a matter of a few weeks.

But Cam wanted a chance to play . . . and no other team appears to have opened up a spot for him since he signed in NE. Even if the team isn't that good, Cam is still better situated to show what he could do as a starter vs. signing elsewhere for a little more money to be a backup.

This is what stuck in my mind.  You mean I get to take one season off with a little bit of pay and my contract is still waiting for me when I come back?  Who wouldn't take a sabbatical from Camp Evil Empire?

Actually I just saw Cannon is a cancer survivor. Never knew that. 

I wonder if James Conner opts out?

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero confirms Steelers RB James Conner is not expected to opt out of the season. 

The question was raised after fellow cancer survivor Marcus Cannon announced late Tuesday evening he would not be playing for the Patriots this year. Conner had already said he had no COVID concerns. He has been in remission for four years. The stakes are extremely high for the 25-year-old, as he's playing for a new contract. Unfortunately, those realities will continue to interfere with players making some of the most important decisions of their lives as they mull what to do during a pandemic where their job will prevent social distancing. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jul 28, 2020, 12:11 PM ET

Maybe they don’t get the $350K or $150K loan?
All opt outs are final. If a player has a family member hospitalized because of (or pass away from) COVID-19 during training camp or the season, he can opt out at a later date for the remainder of the season and will be eligible for the $150,000 stipend, which will be offset from any salary he had already earned.
https://theathletic.com/1957817/2020/07/28/tracking-every-nfl-player-whos-decided-to-opt-out-of-season/

Another thing I was wondering . . . IIRC, for players that are considered high risk / medical, they get credit for a year of service time (while those in the general population opting to sit out do not). If that is indeed the case, what happens to their contracts for 2021? This was set to be Cannon's last year on his deal with NE. If he gets credit for a year of service time, does his contract still toll to 2021? After not playing as well last year and missing this year, NE might rather have his almost $10 million in salary cap space instead of having him back.

Anarchy99 said:
Another thing I was wondering . . . IIRC, for players that are considered high risk / medical, they get credit for a year of service time (while those in the general population opting to sit out do not). If that is indeed the case, what happens to their contracts for 2021? This was set to be Cannon's last year on his deal with NE. If he gets credit for a year of service time, does his contract still toll to 2021? After not playing as well last year and missing this year, NE might rather have his almost $10 million in salary cap space instead of having him back.
In the link Yenrub posted it said this...

“It is not mandatory for a "higher risk" player to opt out. A higher-risk opt-out will receive an accrued season toward free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a credited season and is also eligible for a stipend of $350,000, which will not constitute a salary advance.”

So they get credit for the season and it isn’t a advance so it is money never need paid back.

In the link Yenrub posted it said this...

“It is not mandatory for a "higher risk" player to opt out. A higher-risk opt-out will receive an accrued season toward free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a credited season and is also eligible for a stipend of $350,000, which will not constitute a salary advance.”

So they get credit for the season and it isn’t a advance so it is money never need paid back.
Right. But does his contract carry over or does he become a free agent since this was his final year of his deal?

And at least one NFL exec thinks Bill is scheming and this is all being orchestrated. 

LINK

Right. But does his contract carry over or does he become a free agent since this was his final year of his deal?

And at least one NFL exec thinks Bill is scheming and this is all being orchestrated. 

LINK
“But each of the five players' contracts will toll to the 2021 season, meaning the team still will have roughly triple the cap space it had at this point last week.” When referring to Cannon and four other. 

here is story... https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/report-patriots-cap-space-more-triples-due-player-opt-outs

Last edited by a moderator:

LINK
No offense to you. This is directed at that NFL exec. That has to be the stupid idea I’ve heard. We want to have our best tackle, best linebacker, best strong safety, best fullback(likely) all sit out. Somehow this will make the team win a Super Bowl. The only exec this dumb has to be from the Jets or Browns. 

No offense to you. This is directed at that NFL exec. That has to be the stupid idea I’ve heard. We want to have our best tackle, best linebacker, best strong safety, best fullback(likely) all sit out. Somehow this will make the team win a Super Bowl. The only exec this dumb has to be from the Jets or Browns. 
It depends. If BB thinks there is little chance to finish the season this year and they won't be able to crown a champion AND this allows him to manipulate the salary cap and improve their chances of winning next year, then I don't think it is so outlandish a position to take.

But there would be a lot of dots to connect there that most likely are impossible to connect. However, if NE has as many players opting out as the rest of the league combined, you have to wonder why that is.

It probably is just someone's hot take and click bait, but there may be some method to the madness from BB. Maybe better stated . . . if there is a way for BB to figure out an advantage from all of this, BB will find it.

This has probably already been stated here, but some of these guys are opting out, and taking the $150k, because they know they were likely going to be cut before week 1.

It depends. If BB thinks there is little chance to finish the season this year and they won't be able to crown a champion AND this allows him to manipulate the salary cap and improve their chances of winning next year, then I don't think it is so outlandish a position to take.

But there would be a lot of dots to connect there that most likely are impossible to connect. However, if NE has as many players opting out as the rest of the league combined, you have to wonder why that is.

It probably is just someone's hot take and click bait, but there may be some method to the madness from BB. Maybe better stated . . . if there is a way for BB to figure out an advantage from all of this, BB will find it.
How does this help manipulate the salary cap? It is the same contracts pushed into next year. All players are now a season older. Can be slow to get back to game play after sitting a year. I don’t see how this has any benefit. 

Some have to do with having babies(Chung, Hightower, Vitale). One due to past health concerns(Cannon). Then Bolden and Toran probably were looking at being cut. 

How does this help manipulate the salary cap? It is the same contracts pushed into next year. All players are now a season older. Can be slow to get back to game play after sitting a year. I don’t see how this has any benefit. 

Some have to do with having babies(Chung, Hightower, Vitale). One due to past health concerns(Cannon). Then Bolden and Toran probably were looking at being cut. 
I tried explaining the salary cap piece earlier. If they get salary cap relief this year (which they do) for a season that may never finish (TBA), they can take the cap relief from this year and push it into next year. So presto, chango, Cannon and Hightower could play next year with essentially close to no cap hit by applying the cap savings from this year to next year's cap charge.

I tried explaining the salary cap piece earlier. If they get salary cap relief this year (which they do) for a season that may never finish (TBA), they can take the cap relief from this year and push it into next year. So presto, chango, Cannon and Hightower could play next year with essentially close to no cap hit by applying the cap savings from this year to next year's cap charge.
I gotcha. I didn’t know you could roll it over. Thanks for letting me know. I am not convinced this is a plan though.

Here is a video where they discuss it. They believe Belichick probably let these players know that they should opt out to take care of family and be healthy. That I can buy. He’s been pretty good to his players(except for MButler). 
https://www.nfl.com/videos/gmfb-reacts-to-five-pats-players-opting-out-of-2020-season

I don't think they will allow pushing the cap relief from a non-year ahead to offset a real year. If they officially play the season, this may work, or not. I think that maybe the Pats players are thinking this will be a down year - quite possibly a non-year after they gear up through camp - and those having a reason and seeing a bunch of their teammates deciding to sit have said maybe I'll sit too. I have no idea whether BB may be actively encouraging this or not - it's certainly within his wheelhouse.

I gotcha. I didn’t know you could roll it over. Thanks for letting me know. I am not convinced this is a plan though.

Here is a video where they discuss it. They believe Belichick probably let these players know that they should opt out to take care of family and be healthy. That I can buy. He’s been pretty good to his players(except for MButler). 
https://www.nfl.com/videos/gmfb-reacts-to-five-pats-players-opting-out-of-2020-season
Any money teams don't spend to the cap can be added to the following season's cap. Some teams add things like incentives into contracts that can when they aren't met can also generate additional cap space that can then be added the following year. NE is also famous for adding team option years to contracts with no intent of keeping the player (but that still allows that player to earn a compensatory pick). Savvy teams can do a lot with contracts and creative cap accounting.

So it's possible if the salary cap is $200 million in a given season for teams to have $220 million to play with. Next year, the salary cap will likely drop from $198 million to $175 million (that was announced this week as the lowest it could be). So salary cap space will be at a premium next year. The Pats already have $11 million in rollover money for next year somehow. And they are currently committed to player contracts worth $130 million, which means they have roughly $50 million in cap space for next year. Let's say they only use $5 million of the $30 million of current cap space, they could move that $25 million into next year and up their cap room to $75 million (even with the cap likely dropping by $23 million).

Who knows if things will play out that way. They could go and add free agents or make trades and use a lot of the newly found money. But at least they have the option to push money into next year (which probably was not the intent of allowing players to opt out, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that teams couldn't do it).

I don't think they will allow pushing the cap relief from a non-year ahead to offset a real year. If they officially play the season, this may work, or not. I think that maybe the Pats players are thinking this will be a down year - quite possibly a non-year after they gear up through camp - and those having a reason and seeing a bunch of their teammates deciding to sit have said maybe I'll sit too. I have no idea whether BB may be actively encouraging this or not - it's certainly within his whelhouse.
IIRC, an official season occurs in terms of paying players once a game has been played. If there are no games played, there is no season. The bigger question is can they FINISH the season and declare a champion. One would expect the league will move heaven and earth to accomplish that. I doubt BB has any insider information that the season won't end well, but that has been part of the game theory I have heard for hot takes on sports radio today.

I do find it interesting that NE has big cogs and starters opting out while other teams don't have the quantity of players (or as big names) opting out. It does make you wonder why.

JetMaxx said:
:lmao:  @ BB tanking for Lawrence. That dude manipulates everything including Covid to his advantage 
Pfffft, I'm pretty sure you could convince at least a third of the posters here that BB actually developed Covid just to gain an advantage and "cheat for Lawrence". This board has been hoarding tin foil long before 2020.

IIRC, an official season occurs in terms of paying players once a game has been played. If there are no games played, there is no season. The bigger question is can they FINISH the season and declare a champion. One would expect the league will move heaven and earth to accomplish that. I doubt BB has any insider information that the season won't end well, but that has been part of the game theory I have heard for hot takes on sports radio today.

I do find it interesting that NE has big cogs and starters opting out while other teams don't have the quantity of players (or as big names) opting out. It does make you wonder why.
The pats know something that most other teamsdont....which is nothing new.  There is an angle here.  

Any money teams don't spend to the cap can be added to the following season's cap. Some teams add things like incentives into contracts that can when they aren't met can also generate additional cap space that can then be added the following year. NE is also famous for adding team option years to contracts with no intent of keeping the player (but that still allows that player to earn a compensatory pick). Savvy teams can do a lot with contracts and creative cap accounting.

So it's possible if the salary cap is $200 million in a given season for teams to have $220 million to play with. Next year, the salary cap will likely drop from $198 million to $175 million (that was announced this week as the lowest it could be). So salary cap space will be at a premium next year. The Pats already have $11 million in rollover money for next year somehow. And they are currently committed to player contracts worth $130 million, which means they have roughly $50 million in cap space for next year. Let's say they only use $5 million of the $30 million of current cap space, they could move that $25 million into next year and up their cap room to $75 million (even with the cap likely dropping by $23 million).

Who knows if things will play out that way. They could go and add free agents or make trades and use a lot of the newly found money. But at least they have the option to push money into next year (which probably was not the intent of allowing players to opt out, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that teams couldn't do it).
I hope they spend it on signing players this year. Still decent free agents left... 

Have any good ideas of replacements. Any of these guys good? Tony Jefferson(s), Kalil(c), Glenn(t), Ogletree(lb)

I hope they spend it on signing players this year. Still decent free agents left... 

Have any good ideas of replacements. Any of these guys good? Tony Jefferson(s), Kalil(c), Glenn(t), Ogletree(lb)
They were trying to get them to go after Clowney on multiple talk shows and stations this afternoon. Except IMO he's not a good fit. He likes to freelance and get upfield. That's exactly what BB DOES NOT want pass rushers to do. He wants pressure up the middle and containment on the outside. They will probably dip their toes in other free agents, but I am guessing low dollar guys that they think they can develop into role players.

The way some Patriots players have been talking lately, one has to wonder if BB is telling them a lot of doom and gloom is on the horizon.

They were trying to get them to go after Clowney on multiple talk shows and stations this afternoon. Except IMO he's not a good fit. He likes to freelance and get upfield. That's exactly what BB DOES NOT want pass rushers to do. He wants pressure up the middle and containment on the outside. They will probably dip their toes in other free agents, but I am guessing low dollar guys that they think they can develop into role players.

The way some Patriots players have been talking lately, one has to wonder if BB is telling them a lot of doom and gloom is on the horizon.
I think Belichick must have thought it was likely Chung and Hightower were not playing. He drafted safety and two LBs with his first few picks. Jennings I think is more traditional lb capable of playing Ilb as well. Uche is more of outside LB I guess. Dugger is a clone of Chung with a ton more athleticism apparently. 
It also was a great thing getting Keene even though he was criticized for it with the trade up. Keene looks to be the favorite for starting fullback now. Looking back the draft makes more sense now.

Michael Pierce is the biggest opt-out in my opinion so far. He's one of the 5 best run stuffers in the NFL and was the Vikings biggest FA signing. 

2nd biggest is probably Marcus Cannon. Solid steady OT's don't grow on trees. Though the McCourtys, especially Devin, would be big losses too.

I guess the hard part I have wrapping around my mind, is that if this were the case (being orchestrated), you are still convincing guys who make millions to take 150k for the season.  I have to be missing something, because I can't see a bunch of players agreeing to something like that.

I guess the hard part I have wrapping around my mind, is that if this were the case (being orchestrated), you are still convincing guys who make millions to take 150k for the season.  I have to be missing something, because I can't see a bunch of players agreeing to something like that.
150k loan to be specific.  They're essentially getting an advance on next year's salary.  (The ones getting the 350k because of legit opt out reasons is a stipend that doesn't have to be paid back).

At least I think that's correct...

Right?   I mean, who could live on that paltry amount?

Throw in unemployment compensation plus the extra stimulus added to it....they might be able to feed their immediate family the basics, but who wants to live like that?  

Throw in unemployment compensation plus the extra stimulus added to it....they might be able to feed their immediate family the basics, but who wants to live like that?  
Many of these guys live within their means, which 150k will not support

I don’t make NFL money, but if I had to cut to 150k for the year I would hurt substantially, and I live below my means (no WiFi until this last spring (virtual learning), smart phone only 3 years ago, I drive an old car). 
Higher salary just means higher bills. 

Michael Pierce is the biggest opt-out in my opinion so far. He's one of the 5 best run stuffers in the NFL and was the Vikings biggest FA signing. 

2nd biggest is probably Marcus Cannon. Solid steady OT's don't grow on trees. Though the McCourtys, especially Devin, would be big losses too.
As far as the Pats go it is Hightower and it is not close...Cannon was not good last year and his Pats career is winding down...Hightower is one of the more irreplaceable players on the team...along with McCourty he is one their leaders on D, calls the signals and is a legit playmaker...not only that but the position he places is very thin as far as how their roster is constructed...if McCourty opts out as well this D is in trouble. 

As far as the Pats go it is Hightower and it is not close...Cannon was not good last year and his Pats career is winding down...Hightower is one of the more irreplaceable players on the team...along with McCourty he is one their leaders on D, calls the signals and is a legit playmaker...not only that but the position he places is very thin as far as how their roster is constructed...if McCourty opts out as well this D is in trouble. 
Cannon was above average over the last few years according to PFF. 

I noticed Thuney has played all positions in college. He rated high in pass protection at guard, 5th overall at guard according to PFF. I wonder if he is capable at right tackle? 

Whoever opts out is a personal decision.    Like anything else in life it is next man up.  The player pool is and will always be endless.

Users who are viewing this thread