What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players opting out of the 2020 season - Deadline Aug 6...unless you've got a good reason to opt out later (1 Viewer)

I'm sure fantasy owners can't wait to be glued to the game day inactive more than ever before, waiting to hear if each and every one of their players caught the Covid last night.  Ugh.

Tre White’s Twitter:

“Crazy that me choosing my family’s wellbeing over a game comes with so called fans attacking and questioning me and saying I’m selfish. No you guys are selfish for thinking that football is bigger than life. Oh by the way my girl’s grandfather passed from COVID. U understand now?”

Seems to be he’s opting out?

Tre White’s Twitter:

“Crazy that me choosing my family’s wellbeing over a game comes with so called fans attacking and questioning me and saying I’m selfish. No you guys are selfish for thinking that football is bigger than life. Oh by the way my girl’s grandfather passed from COVID. U understand now?”

Not necessarily. Several players have talked about opting out and haven't yet. And some players initially said they would play and have opted out. Basically, we won't know until the final list comes out.

Not necessarily. Several players have talked about opting out and haven't yet. And some players initially said they would play and have opted out. Basically, we won't know until the final list comes out.
Right of course nothing is official until official. 

Right of course nothing is official until official. 
No one has been as vocal about safety and COVID than NE S Devin McCourty, who has rambled on an on about how badly things have been mishandled. It was assumed he would be opting out, but he said he will play on a podcast (at least for now). He did go on to say that if he feels things aren't safe he will call it quits on the season, no matter when that is and no matter if the league deems it acceptable or within their opt out guidelines. McCourty has already made millions, so I can see him steeping aside and not care about the money. Other players who haven't made very much probably will not be in position to do that.

Tre White’s Twitter:

Could've started just based on hearing he was contemplating. People can be savage and entitled......
Guess we'll know soon.

It's not on Schefter's Twitter (and I don't see it picked up by any place else). Where did you see this???
Yeah. It’s totally possible he is, but he was at the facility practicing today. Would kinda be weird to practice today if he had made the decision to opt out.

If he did, I can’t blame him. It would suck, but I totally understand. Especially with 2 kids at home and having his girlfriend’s grandad die from Covid.

No one forces anyone to play fantasy football. 
I actually don't play so I don't have a dog in the discussion.  Was just thinking of how it used to be setting lineups and I imagine it will be ratcheted up a few notches now if the season gets played.

Jets WR Josh Doctson has opted out of the 2020 NFL season. 

Doctson was among a handful of players who opted out just before the 4 p.m. deadline. A former first round pick, Doctson would not have been a fantasy factor this season barring a rash of Gang Green wideout injuries. Doctson played in one game for the Vikings last year after three disappointing seasons in Washington. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Aug 6, 2020, 4:34 PM ET

Jets WR Josh Doctson has opted out of the 2020 NFL season. 

Doctson was among a handful of players who opted out just before the 4 p.m. deadline. A former first round pick, Doctson would not have been a fantasy factor this season barring a rash of Gang Green wideout injuries. Doctson played in one game for the Vikings last year after three disappointing seasons in Washington. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Aug 6, 2020, 4:34 PM ET
Doctson opted out about 4 years ago.

It would be nice to know we have the final list now.  But we really don't.  PFT has had a couple posts explaining that all a player has to do is retire and then just unretire. Probably only players that have earned the signing bonus in full would do that,  but I am sure that applies to a lot of guys. 

If it is that prevalent I assume the season will be over anyway. 
Not necessarily, they take your temp on game day. You don’t have to have Covid to have an elevated temp. It might be something they would normally play through. But now they are out for the game. 

Users who are viewing this thread