What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet’s political thoughts and commentary- back in here until the election is done (1 Viewer)

If the "con" argument is valid, then the whole thing needs to be blown up IMO.  That would mean we have completely lost sight of what our system is and is supposed to do.  Our current justice department isn't going to do it though.  It's much more likely that if he were to be thrown in prison it would be because of what comes out of state investigations going on right now.

Or else what? See you’ve hit on one of the main problems here. I find it extremely unlikely that the GOP would ever “get on board”. 
I am not sure there is an or else unfortunately...and I agree its a problem.  Because I see plenty that would dig in and defend no matter what the facts are.  And while it may lead to more short term division...they too should be exposed from protecting criminal acts from the highest office.  Again...it would be up to the DOJ to do so very carefully and transparent so that there can be no doubt of what went on...

If Biden wins...the choice of AG will be monumentally important for such things.  I think it may be his most important hire.

I don't find the argument that people will consider it partisan to be a reason not to pursue if someone committed actual crimes...especially from the highest office in the country.  Those at such levels should be held to that higher standard and getting away with anything criminal should not be part of that.

With that said...it has to be done as open as possible with attention to every legal detail...transparent...and in front of congress.  And if its clear crimes, GOP in congress better damn well get on board and not sew more division with such things.

Its a thin line to walk...but I think it is important no matter who we would be talking about...this goes beyond Trump...anyone in that office should be held to that standard.
While true ... we're now in the land of "nuisance investigations". Trump will be investigated after leaving office, then so will Biden and/or Harris (assuming sufficient Republican control of other branches), then the next president, etc., etc.

Imagine if the House had been strongly Republican over these last few years -- Obama might have been raked over the coals quite a bit with a bunch of "picking around the edges" investigations.

And to think.  All Trump needed to do was to pretend he was concerned about Covid, somewhat listen to the science, encourage wearing a mask and social distancing.  He wouldn't even need to go to all the meetings.  He could have just feigned concern.

It is unbelievable that this was set up on a tee for him and all he had to do was put the ball in play.  Instead he swung and missed 3 times.  
Instead he closed borders, shut down the economy, increased production of PPE and ventilators, activated the military to assist with high risk states and fast tracked vaccine production so that we may have a vaccine for novel virus in record time.  What an idiot.

There was a fascinating debate on Joe Scarborough this morning. The question: if Donald Trump is defeated, and if it looks likely that during his time in office, he may have committed crimes, should a new Justice Department pursue this? 

The Pros No person is above the law. If we let this go we are inviting future Presidents to abuse their power and it will only get worse, not better. If Trump committed crimes then he MUST be investigated and prosecuted because we are a nation of laws. 

The cons There is no way that the millions of Americans who voted for Donald Trump, either in 2016 or 2020, will view any prosecution of him as other than partisan and unfair, and thus this will only further damage the integrity of our institutions, along with increasing our level of division. Further, a prosecution of Trump will consume the nation and the political process, making any hope of bipartisanship improbable and preventing the next administration from moving forward with their own agenda. 

I find these both to be good arguments. I lean towards the con but I’m not sure because the pro is a very powerful argument. 
It really depends on what crimes he may have committed. For example, we shouldn't be going after him for Hatch Act violations, or for using a private or unsecured email account. Those types of violations should be addressed by strengthening the existing laws.

Instead he closed borders, shut down the economy, increased production of PPE and ventilators, activated the military to assist with high risk states and fast tracked vaccine production so that we may have a vaccine for novel virus in record time.  What an idiot.
Closed borders?  Yeah not so much.

Shut down the economy?  Who did that?  Trump certainly did not.  Increased production..again, not really anything he did there either.  

Vaccine...haha!!!  Yeah...all him there too.

Wait, Trump supporters are now taking credit for something that Trump not only didn't do (shut down the economy), but which Trump and his supporters adamantly opposed?

That's some next level spinning.

Wait, Trump supporters are now taking credit for something that Trump not only didn't do (shut down the economy), but which Trump and his supporters adamantly opposed?

So far as I'm aware, all "safer at home" guidance and restrictions on non-essential businesses came down from state and municipal levels. I know there was a federal guidance document that came out later on down the road, but IMHO that didn't have the force of even a mandate.

Also, don't forget about all those times that Trump told us to wear masks, and also how we should obey lawful orders from our governors and mayors.

That was a good article, but......I couldn't help but get the feeling that it was just a sophisticated variation on the old argument, "Give the extremists what they want or else they'll start a Civil War."
It's a variation on "The extremists on both sides should want Trump to win, but please don't give the extremists what they want."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Laughing
Reactions: Zow
It's a variation on "The extremists on both sides should want Trump to win, but please don't give the extremists what they want."
I have always thoughts there's a small segment (maybe it's larger than I thought) that just needed something to be outraged about.  It seems like one extreme or the other will be outraged for four years.  I am just thankful that IF Biden wins that we won't have somebody who intentionally stirs that outrage up on both sides (IMO).

I have always thoughts there's a small segment (maybe it's larger than I thought) that just needed something to be outraged about.  It seems like one extreme or the other will be outraged for four years.  I am just thankful that IF Biden wins that we won't have somebody who intentionally stirs that outrage up on both sides (IMO).
You don't say? :lmao:

I agree friend, feel free to sort this forum to confirm. 

Imagine being a Republican right now.  With this economy and a merely competent response to covid-19, President Jeb! or President Cruz is high-stepping his way to a second term if the party had had any sense in 2016.  Instead the party is facing annihilation next week all because they tossed the keys to one of the most comically inept politicians in our lifetimes.  
And we'd all probably still like one another if President Kasich was in charge. 

University of Columbia study: if Trump had followed public health recommendations months ago, 130,000 lives would have been saved: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/columbia-study-white-house-could-have-avoided-130000-coronavirus-deaths-2020-10%3famp
Once this became community spread, this was not going to be stopped. Enough people are not going to lock themselves in their homes and/or stay consistent with social distancing,. Trump has been a poor leader, but it's ridiculous to think a different outcome of any substance with a different President. Not with a virus that spreads like this and the mindset of too many people. 

Once this became community spread, this was not going to be stopped. Enough people are not going to lock themselves in their homes and/or stay consistent with social distancing,. Trump has been a poor leader, but it's ridiculous to think a different outcome of any substance with a different President. Not with a virus that spreads like this and the mindset of too many people. 
IMO there is much truth to your argument as a general statement, but when you get into specifics it’s pretty lazy. The study takes into account public reaction. We still would have lost plenty of lives. But we would have lost far less. 

University of Columbia study: if Trump had followed public health recommendations months ago, 130,000 lives would have been saved: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/columbia-study-white-house-could-have-avoided-130000-coronavirus-deaths-2020-10%3famp
Why do you do you assume that Trump did not influence the so-called "mindset of too many people"?

IMO there is much truth to your argument as a general statement, but when you get into specifics it’s pretty lazy. The study takes into account public reaction. We still would have lost plenty of lives. But we would have lost far less. 
What is lazy? Everything is very polarized and political. Nobody is listening to each other, masks are a debate, lockdowns are being politicized, etc. I have no reason to believe that Biden would be doing much better here. 

Why do you do you assume that Trump did not influence the so-called "mindset of too many people"?
Trump should have been advocating masks. He didn't. I don't know if, or how many of his supporters, would be wearing masks regularly if he said so.

Trump should have been advocating masks. He didn't. I don't know if, or how many of his supporters, would be wearing masks regularly if he said so.
:shrug:

I think the vast majority of Trump supporters would have worn masks religiously if Trump had said so. I mean, just look at all the other subjects where Trump was able to convince his supporters to go against conventional Republican positions (Iraq War, free trade, immigration), not to mention his own status as a draft-dodging nonreligious serial philanderer. All Trump had to say was "The libs don't wear masks because they want the economy to fail!" and the only 'debate' would have been "Which Side Likes Masks More?"

Strongly disagree. A clear, proactive plan consistent with public health recommendations, national mask mandate and deference to scientists would have saved tens of thousands, if not 100K+ lives. There’s no reason to believe Trump’s leadership is the best we can do, nor that culture is the sole determinate of pandemic outcomes.

It’s amazing to me how 

What is lazy? Everything is very polarized and political. Nobody is listening to each other, masks are a debate, lockdowns are being politicized, etc. I have no reason to believe that Biden would be doing much better here. 
Why are masks a debate? Why were lockdowns politicized? It was Donald Trump who caused these things to happen. 

It's rather logical to conclude those that aren't wearing masks because Trump said they were no big deal would also be the ones wearing them because he did (had he chosen to do the right thing).  Can we put a hard number on it to "know"?  Of course not, but it's not a stretch to say a good chunk of his followers would have continued to be his followers even if he said to put on a mask.  

According to scientists, if President Trump was to push for a national mask mandate right now it could save over 100,000 lives before the end of the year. Right now we could do this. 

Trump today: “They say suburban women don’t like me but I don’t think that’s true. They love me, you know why? Because I’m sending their husbands back to work!” 

After shoving in Amy Coney Barrett at the last second, did Mitch McConnell consider a stimulus package? 
Nope. He adjourned the Senate until after the election. 

I really hope all of these GOP senators get voted out. What a total disgrace they are. 
Securing the court was more important than helping those in need.  That should be on every ad against him until he is no longer in office.

Securing the court was more important than helping those in need.  That should be on every ad against him until he is no longer in office.
I’ve been pretty critical of Pelosi too but at least she tried to get a deal done. This is far worse. And it’s always that way: every time I don’t like the way some Democrat behaves, a Republican comes along and does something far worse. How can anyone justify this? 

I’ve been pretty critical of Pelosi too but at least she tried to get a deal done. This is far worse. And it’s always that way: every time I don’t like the way some Democrat behaves, a Republican comes along and does something far worse. How can anyone justify this? 
And its not just him...no way he is doing that all on his own.  Its at the direction of the rest of the GOP in the Senate and/or Trump himself.  So that POTUS can claim he tried and blame it on Pelosi and democrats (while ignoring McConnel’s actions)

Absolutely. If Trump announced that he wanted McConnell to work with Pelosi and/or accept the Democratic bill passed months ago, it would be a done deal.
Accept the Democrat deal? No pass Donald’s deal, which was more than Pelosi proposed.  Father Trump has been firm on not bailing out Seattle & Portland 

Accept the Democrat deal? No pass Donald’s deal, which was more than Pelosi proposed.  Father Trump has been firm on not bailing out Seattle & Portland 
The Democrat deal...nobody said that.  Though, do as normal, bring the bill up...mark it up...revise, vote to send it back or negotiate between the two...yeah.

Do you think McConnell is acting on his own when he says there wont be a deal?

I think that is a mischaracterization of what Pelosi's deal did. But if not, do you approve of only helping cities or states with Republican mayors or governors rather than all cities or states that need financial aid?

I seriously can not imagine that if Joe Biden is POTUS he would not bail out a city run by a Republican, because he didn't approve of how they had handled things.

Pelosi has been playing games with the stimulus package for weeks.  Yes, BOF SIDEZ!
There is plenty of blame to go around, including Pelosi, and I’ve been saying that from the beginning. But while Pelosi and Trump are both somewhat guilty, the Senate Republicans are without doubt the MOST guilty. 

timschochet said:
I dont see this. That study was a simplistic look at fatality rate in countries and then simply applying to the US with what appears to be a minor adjustment for the US being so obese. 

Users who are viewing this thread