What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Myles Gaskin, MIN (2 Viewers)

Parker, Williams and Gesicki are pretty good pass options. Fitz only threw the ball 20 times last night (completing 18), so there wasn't even much of a need to throw. We'll see when the Dolphins have to play from behind and throw, which will probably be often.
they are ok but Fitz is what the 28th best qb?  Point being they don't have some dynamic offense or close to it and this was likely a rare game script.  I'd expect most teams will stack the line early until Miami is down and then Gaskin will catch the ball a ton.  

Worth remembering that Miami is starting 2 rookies and 2 free agents on the OL with a shortened off-season. The run blocking should have room to improve as they play together more.

That said, the schedule is brutal until week 9. I expect a lot of inefficient rushing lines until then. But it looks like 4 straight cake matchups after that.

He was a free waiver pick up in my 12 team .5 PPR league which I assume is the case for most leagues.  He probably went for $5 or less in FAAB bids.

This is incredible value considering Hines, M. Davis, Snell, McKinnon were much more expensive.  So basically we got a low end RB2/flex for free which equals a high end WR2 in today's fantasy spectrum.

Gaskin looked good last night.  What do we say about fantasy success?  Volume.  He's PPR gold.  Now some interesting facts:

Game 1 - No redzone opportunities

Game 2 - Two redzone opportunities

Game 3 - Nine redzone opportunities (including three inside the 5 yard line)

Assuming his usage hovers around game 3 moving forward Gaskin will see a TD progression.

He was a free waiver pick up in my 12 team .5 PPR league which I assume is the case for most leagues.  He probably went for $5 or less in FAAB bids.

This is incredible value considering Hines, M. Davis, Snell, McKinnon were much more expensive.  So basically we got a low end RB2/flex for free which equals a high end WR2 in today's fantasy spectrum.

Gaskin looked good last night.  What do we say about fantasy success?  Volume.  He's PPR gold.  Now some interesting facts:

Game 1 - No redzone opportunities

Game 2 - Two redzone opportunities

Game 3 - Nine redzone opportunities (including three inside the 5 yard line)

Assuming his usage hovers around game 3 moving forward Gaskin will see a TD progression.
I'm definitely not assuming that. How many games will Miami have a 2-3 score lead to salt away in the 4th?

He'll be playing catch up more often IMO, with not as many rush attempts. Which is just fine for PPR.

I'm definitely not assuming that. How many games will Miami have a 2-3 score lead to salt away in the 4th?

He'll be playing catch up more often IMO, with not as many rush attempts. Which is just fine for PPR.
Doesn't this mean he's gamescript proof?  If Fins are playing catch up he gets receptions.  If Fins lead he gets rushes.  Game 3 he had 22 carries and 5 receptions.  If they lose most games which I expect then maybe 15 carries 8 receptions.

Doesn't this mean he's gamescript proof?  If Fins are playing catch up he gets receptions.  If Fins lead he gets rushes.  Game 3 he had 22 carries and 5 receptions.  If they lose most games which I expect then maybe 15 carries 8 receptions.
It does give him a pretty decent floor if they keep that arrangement. Last night was very positive in that regard.

He was facing 8- and 9-man boxes for much of the game, so I'll give him a pass on that. He did well getting what was there. 
Agreed. He also very nearly broke what would’ve been a 90+ yard TD on one of the final runs, scampering through the line but ever so slightly losing his balance enough so the safety could get him down. YPC would’ve looked much different had he not stumbled. 

Also there were numerous plays where he almost got hit at the exchange and would still squeak out 3-4 yards. 

He’s very much a flex moving forward with upside for more. The TDs are coming. So are the long plays. 

Really think he’s quite safe week to week regardless of the matchups. He’s getting 5 receptions in a game they dominate. He’s getting 22 carries when they’re in the lead. 

If they’re behind, he gets more receptions and passing down yardage. 

This feels like Phillip Lindsay all over again where even the coaches were a little hesitant to give him the load, but he just kept earning more and more. Only difference is while Lindsay lost passing down usage, Gaskin is getting it all. It’s Lindsay crossed with James White. 

Hard to see the massive ceiling now, but he was incredibly efficient the first two weeks and just saw a massive workload last night. How could anyone not be optimistic for the future here as the line gels, Tua eventually takes over, Parker gets healthy, etc. 

Very happy to own him everywhere. 

Really think he’s quite safe week to week regardless of the matchups. He’s getting 5 receptions in a game they dominate. He’s getting 22 carries when they’re in the lead. 

This feels like Phillip Lindsay all over again where even the coaches were a little hesitant to give him the load, but he just kept earning more and more. Only difference is while Lindsay lost passing down usage, Gaskin is getting it all. It’s Lindsay crossed with James White. 

Hard to see the massive ceiling now, but he was incredibly efficient the first two weeks and just saw a massive workload last night. How could anyone not be optimistic for the future here as the line gels, Tua eventually takes over, Parker gets healthy, etc. 

Happy to have him and JR in one dynasty but wish I had made stronger moves for them in my other. So funny that Gaskins cleared waivers in my league after week 1. The Lindsey/White player merge is on point.

I will add one other thing...and I hope this will be important...due to how the game unfolded a lot of his carries were hammers into the middle of the line which meant there weren't many opportunities for a big play...since Miami is still rebuilding I don't see that type of game-script being common and I think you will see more big gainers.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the hardest things in FF after the draft is to go net +1 in startable RB’s.  Generally you’ve got to give one to get one.

Gaskin is startable; RB2 upside - FLEX floor unless you’re very deep at RB.  I’d rather have him than Singletary.

If I owned him in a dynasty league I would be fielding offers for him now.....no doubt. Unless you are not deep at RB. 

If I owned him in a dynasty league I would be fielding offers for him now.....no doubt. Unless you are not deep at RB. 
I will be, but it's hard to get value for these guys in dynasty. Usually no one wants to offer a 2nd, and what's the point of moving him for a 3rd...

I will be, but it's hard to get value for these guys in dynasty. Usually no one wants to offer a 2nd, and what's the point of moving him for a 3rd...
Yeah, I don't think people will offer much unless they're desperate, and even then his upside seems capped and long term prognosis iffy. He could be a piece of a bigger trade, though, maybe something to get it over the top. That's how I'm approaching it, trying to package him with a WR for a slight upgrade from a RB needy team...

Middling talent, doesnt do anything special. Too small and timid for short yardage/goal line work. Strictly a between the 20s guy.

Moved him shortly after picking him up on the WW. Got a late 2nd for him. I am pretty deep at RB though.

Consider I drafted WR Claypool at 3.01 and RB Joshua Kelly at 3.3 so there is some value in the third round in dynasty drafts. All depends how much homework you do as always. 

If it is what you think will be a high 3rd rounder and you are deep at RB and that is all you can get I would consider it. But this was a deep rookie class this year...so there is that.

If you need an RB3 for PPR he is a nice little player right now. I just don’t know how long that volume will last. The next two weeks will be very telling IMO for him going up against the Seahawks and 49ers. 

Agreed... Though, his value remains fluid and I'm having difficult time on assessing whether to sell him or keep him. 

Myles Gaskin rushed 10 times for 40 yards in the Dolphins' Week 4 loss to the Seahawks, adding three receptions for 22 additional yards. 

Gaskin once again dominated the Dolphins' backfield touches, but with the Dolphins playing from behind, work was harder to come by than it was in Week 3 against the Jaguars. Gaskin is getting the looks, but he has been replacement level both on the ground and as a receiver. There are not going to be many weeks where he is a set-and-forget RB2. Gaskin will be a low-ceiling FLEX for next week's date with the 49ers. 

Oct 4, 2020, 5:37 PM ET

hispeedthinmint said:
Any Gaskin trades in dynasty lately?
Yeah, I sold him along with Philip Rivers for Justin Herbert and one of future 2nd rounders.   The other team was desperate for RB due to the loss of Marlon Mack and Le'Veon Bell.  He still have DeShaun Watson and Daniel Jones.

Yeah, I sold him along with Philip Rivers for Justin Herbert and one of future 2nd rounders.   The other team was desperate for RB due to the loss of Marlon Mack and Le'Veon Bell.  He still have DeShaun Watson and Daniel Jones.
Beautifully done.

Myles Gaskin rushed 16 times for 57 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins' Week 5 beatdown of the 49ers, adding five receptions for 34 additional yards. 

The biggest news for Gaskin came before the first snap, as the Dolphins made Jordan Howard a healthy scratch. Gaskin did cede nine carries to Matt Breida, but the Dolphins attempted 33 runs in a blowout. Gaskin out-touched Breida 21-10. Gaskin's score was a one-yard goal line rumble in the first quarter. Breida's lone red zone touch came from the 19-yard line. Gaskin isn't a particularly powerful or explosive athlete, but he is getting what's blocked and executing his assignments. His successful goal-line carry could inoculate him against a potential Week 6 Howard return. Gaskin will be an RB2 vs. the pathetic Jets. 

Oct 11, 2020, 7:52 PM ET

That’s one of the more lopsided trades I’ve seen in awhile. Gaskin is nothing special, he’s just getting volume right now. Easily replaceable. 
Yeah, that's why I had to sell him ASAP... especially to teams who are desperate for RB (his team is superb in WR with Hopkins, Keenan Allen, and Calvin Ridley)

I actually think this raises the ceiling quite a bit. Howard has 3 TDs on the season, all from 1-yard away.

According to CBS’ PPR scoring, Gaskin is currently RB15 in total points, RB23 in PPG (which also double counts some opportunities - Mike Davis and CMC both ahead of him, for example). 

If Howard hadn’t vultured three bunny hop TDs, Gaskin would be tied with James Robinson for RB9 on the season in total points, good for RB11 in PPG. 

In dynasty, you have to worry about his future opportunity to hold the role with all the elite draft capital the Dolphins have. Perhaps a sell window now will open as he starts to tally TDs. But in redraft, we’re seeing huge passing game usage with possible goal line role and 15+ carries a week. That’s a rock solid RB2/flex in PPR. 

This thread makes me wonder about Robinson's long-term viability also. I'm actively trying to sell, and I would be actively looking to sell Gaskin, too, for the same reasons.

Some of these trades are more lopsided than others but here are some of the non-package trades with Gaskin over the last 4 days or so on Trade Finder:

Gaskin for 2021 1st (two of these actually)

Gaskin + 21 2nd + 21 3 for Sample and 21 1

Gaskin for 21 1 and 22 4

Gaskin and John Brown for Ruggs

Gaskin for Edmonds

Gaskin and Gabriel Davis for Gallup

Gaskin for 21 2 (2 of these also)

In dynasty, you have to worry about his future opportunity to hold the role with all the elite draft capital the Dolphins have. Perhaps a sell window now will open as he starts to tally TDs. But in redraft, we’re seeing huge passing game usage with possible goal line role and 15+ carries a week. That’s a rock solid RB2/flex in PPR. 
:goodposting: Dynasty is one thing, but I want to give this guy the credit he is due in redraft, especially since most of the prognosticators are not.  I mean, has there been any week this year where he did not exceed his projected points? You won't see him on any list of "league winner waiver picks" and he won't get you crazy totals, but sometimes being a steady floor is more than enough.  As a McCaffrey/Mostert owner, he has been the model of consistency, getting me ~10 points a week . I'll take that, especially with all of my player injuries/byes/COVID issues. Unless things change, he will likely be a permanent addition to my flex spot.  

This thread makes me wonder about Robinson's long-term viability also. I'm actively trying to sell, and I would be actively looking to sell Gaskin, too, for the same reasons.
I personally believe they’re different situations entirely. I think Robinson is a stud. I wouldn’t sell him for anything less than a top-5 1st, and even then I’d have to consider it. He’s exactly what you’re hoping to get with one of those picks anyway. Discussion for a different thread though.

I don’t think there’s any point currently trading Gaskin for a third. If someone offered a second, I’d strongly consider if not contending. But if I’m contending, I might ride this out a few weeks to see what Gaskin can offer me down the stretch. Mid-high second?  Bye Gaskin.

I personally believe they’re different situations entirely. I think Robinson is a stud. I wouldn’t sell him for anything less than a top-5 1st, and even then I’d have to consider it.
The love is strong, then. I just offered him straight up for Claypool. We'll see what the other owner says. 

I should generalize that so that it's more about football knowledge. Watching Robinson doesn't give me the feels, really. I don't know how much is stacked boxes and how much is the line, but he's had tough sledding the past two games. Also, I worry that this coaching crew is about to be extremely availabe after the season or even midway through. One would think not, but coaches are getting fired here. Then he's got to win over a whole new coaching staff's heart, etc. 

I'll be looking to try to cash him in to RB weak team to replace Dak at QB. Any thoughts as to what level of QB he can net straight up in 1QB? I'm just trying to gauge his value among non-owners and just assuming it's low despite decent production.

I'd imagine Breida/Howard owners are likely best target.

ETA: I'm talking for dynasty purposes.

You almost always come out ahead selling UDFA and 7th round RBs when you can get a 2nd 9or 1st, in Robinson's case). Sure, you miss out on the Arian Foster or Chris Carson's in that case, but there are a lot more Thomas Rawls and Zack Stacy stories than Arian Foster stories. 

That said, neither is a must sell, and Gaskin may be a buy on the right team, even acknowledging the long term value isn't there. I have him starting in a league where I am down Barkley, Chubb, and Ekeler, and I am still a strong contender when the latter 2 come back. If I sold him for the profit, I'd be starting an NFL backup. I'd probably pay my late 2nd for him in that league if I didn't already have him. 

I'll be looking to try to cash him in to RB weak team to replace Dak at QB. Any thoughts as to what level of QB he can net straight up in 1QB? I'm just trying to gauge his value among non-owners and just assuming it's low despite decent production.

I'd imagine Breida/Howard owners are likely best target.

ETA: I'm talking for dynasty purposes.
Dynasty? It looks like he is between Justin Herbert and Daniel Jones in startup mocks from a couple of weeks ago. Startup value doesn't really correlate to established league trade value very often though (especially not in mocks).

I might aim for a guy like Cam. Considering how he was a big question mark coming in, he's probably some teams backup in a 12 team 1 QB league. If that team also needs a RB, then you probably have a match. I am high on Cam for this season but not so much after, so IMHO he seems like an ideal target for replacing Dak. 

Dynasty? It looks like he is between Justin Herbert and Daniel Jones in startup mocks from a couple of weeks ago. Startup value doesn't really correlate to established league trade value very often though (especially not in mocks).

I might aim for a guy like Cam. Considering how he was a big question mark coming in, he's probably some teams backup in a 12 team 1 QB league. If that team also needs a RB, then you probably have a match. I am high on Cam for this season but not so much after, so IMHO he seems like an ideal target for replacing Dak. 
Great insight thanks. Cam level is about what I'm thinking. Rodgers as well, mostly because owner hates him. But if Gaskin has been going around Herbert in startup that bodes well. I agree it doesn't correlate that strongly with in-season trade value, but better than nothing.

Looking at trade finder, seeing him go for firsts which is really surprising. Also in a deal for Ruggs, basically a first. Hmm. Guess it's all about finding the right buyer.

I should generalize that so that it's more about football knowledge. Watching Robinson doesn't give me the feels, really. I don't know how much is stacked boxes and how much is the line, but he's had tough sledding the past two games. Also, I worry that this coaching crew is about to be extremely availabe after the season or even midway through. One would think not, but coaches are getting fired here. Then he's got to win over a whole new coaching staff's heart, etc. 
To that point about new coaching regime, what Gaskin has over Robinson is an up-and-coming coach on a team on the rise who loves him. The concern, of course, is that Gaskin does seem replaceable, so unless he absolutely balls out the rest of the year, they may look for a more explosive option (or at least a complementary thumper that can do what Howard has failed at). 

“Sandman”?

why’s every player need a nickname?

Remember Jerry Rice’s nickname? It was Jerry Rice. Now it’s GOAT. 

According to the voiceover in Madden he tried to be “flash 80” as a rookie but it never caught on. 

I refuse to call Gaskin Sandman. We’ll revisit in 3 years to see how he’s doing & whether he’s earned a nickname. 

Now get offa my lawn & turn down that Rap & Roll!  :rant:

“Sandman”?

why’s every player need a nickname?

Remember Jerry Rice’s nickname? It was Jerry Rice. Now it’s GOAT. 

According to the voiceover in Madden he tried to be “flash 80” as a rookie but it never caught on. 

I refuse to call Gaskin Sandman. We’ll revisit in 3 years to see how he’s doing & whether he’s earned a nickname. 

Now get offa my lawn & turn down that Rap & Roll!  :rant:
Fair enough, although it would be nice to see another Miami-Jacksonville game with a Gaskin-Robinson matchup (free ice cream for fans). 

This guy is saving my butt in a few spots. Love the usage. He still can't get what isn't blocked and I think his vision and patience is terrible. But he can stay in my lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread