What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (7 Viewers)

Schoolhouse Rock (IMBD 8.1) (Screenscrush  N/A) (list challenge 72)

8 Points

Conjunction Junction, 3 is a Magic Number, Im just a bill

This was a struggle because this was not really a show. Since there were no parameters set up before I came in to judge, I didnt want to knock it down completely, but I cant really put it higher either. There is no doubt that this is a great program and taught children a lot about different subjects. My daughter did school house rock jr for her 5th grade school production. But when I started doing the research, I learned that this was an interstitial program that aired in between shows and was never a show itself. Can't crack into the next tier with that info.

Pee Wees Playhouse (IMBD 8.0) (Screenscrush  N/A) 

9 points

Episode I watched: Monster in the Playhouse

There is no doubt that Pee Wee is an iconic character. I remember this show was on CBS around 10am. I remember watching it but not loving it. I thought it was weird. Upon watching again, I still think it is weird, BUT, that is what makes it interesting. Sometimes you need to be a little older to appreciate some of the things it was trying to portray. I can see why this would be referred to as a cult classic show.  

We are into the next tier. Lets call it, I wish I never grew up tier

Fraggle Rock (IMBD 7.9) (Screenscrush 17)  (list challenge 45)

10 points

If I was being purely subjective, this would be in my top 3. I absolutely LOVED this show. I loved Gobo and his gang, I loved the Doozers, I loved the Gorgs, I loved Sprocket and I loved Uncle Travelling Matt and his outer space adventures. This hit all the feels for me when I was younger. It was the best part of having HBO. I think I will remember “Were Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boomer, Red” for the rest of my life.  I have made many many mistakes as a parent. But one thing I got right was introducing my kids to the Fraggles. They dont have that everlasting love that I do, but they really liked watching the DVDs. Dance your cares away my friends. 

Bill Nye (IMBD 8.2) (Screenscrush 12) (list challenge 27)

11 points

Episode I watched: Reptiles

Bill Nye taught kids about science, and he did it in a fun and energetic way. This is one show that I had never seen before, but it is clear from the rankings that it is highly regarded. I know Bill Nye best from his scenes with Ellen in Ellens energy ride at Disney. 

Electric Company (IMBD 8.1) (Screenscrush  N/A) (list challenge 4)

12 Points

Spider Man vs the Spoiler, The Menu Song

Hey You Guys!1!1!1!1. This was a really fun show. I remember watching this and really enjoying it. The Spiderman segments were the best. What I did not know then and only remember now, is the star studded cast that this show employed. Bill Cosby, Morgan Freeman, Rita Moreno. Some real heavy hitters. One youtube comment that I thought summed this show up was, “This was like SNL for children.” It also taught them to read. Great pick and brings back great memories.

Phineas and Ferb (IMBD 7.9) (Screenscrush N/A) 

13 points

For those who have never seen this show, this ranking might seem out of place. I assure you that this is a great great show. It has everything kids enjoy. The show is about kids, the show is about being creative, the show is about sibling rivalries and the show has great music. In fact, it is the music that helped propel this show close to the top. My kids still sing many of the songs from the show and they havent watched it in years. Oh, and lets not forget everyones favorite platypus. The entire B side of the show was Perry vs Dr. Doofenshmirtz. This was one show I didnt mind watching with the kids. I even have Phineas and Ferb action figures at work.If you have not watched this, give it a try. You will not be disappointed. 

SIMP Squirels in my pants, Gitchee Gitchee Goo

Reading Rainbow (IMBD 8.3) (Screenscrush 😎 (list challenge 24)

14 points

This was a really good show that fostered childrens love of reading. Lavar Burton did a fantastic job of bringing the books to life. It was a simple but effective show. It had kids do book reviews. I remember asking my mom to bring me to the library so I could take out some of the books talked about on the show. Plus, the theme song is so good, Jimmy Fallon did it Doors style (posted earlier in the thread)

Childrens Shows

16 points- Sesame Street

15 points- Mr. Rogers Neighborhood

14 points- Reading Rainbow

13 points- Phineas and Ferb

12 points- The Electric Company

11 points- Bill Nye The Science Guy

10 points- Fraggle Rock

9 points- Pee Wees Playhouse

8 points- Schoolhouse Rock

7 points- Howdy Doody

6 points- Arthur

5 points- Magic School Bus

4 points- 3-2-1 Contact

3 points- You cant do that on Television

2 points- KIDS Incorporated

1 point- Animaniacs

Last edited by a moderator:
Childrens Shows

16 points- Sesame Street

10 points- Fraggle Rock

7 points- Howdy Doody

6 points- Franklin

4 points- 3-2-1 Contact

1 point- Animaniacs
Excellent work by the good DR. Well Done!

Phineas and Ferb (IMBD 7.9) (Screenscrush N/A) 

13 points

For those who have never seen this show, this ranking might seem out of place. I assure you that this is a great great show. It has everything kids enjoy. The show is about kids, the show is about being creative, the show is about sibling rivalries and the show has great music. In fact, it is the music that helped propel this show close to the top. My kids still sing many of the songs from the show and they haven't watched it in years.
My kids are "way too cool" for Phineas and Ferb now ... but still get plenty of mileage out of "I blame Baljeet!" and "My name is Doof -- do what I say!" and "Why are you hitting yourself?". Swinter/wummer. And so on.

1 --Yo Mama--319

2 --Tolstoy--273

3 --mphtrilogy--253

4 --tuffnutt--253

5 --jwb--251

6 --KarmaPolice--249

7 --Zow--247

8 --timschochet--247

9 --AcerFC--246

10 -Gally Steiner--245

11 -Hov34--243

12 -rick6668--242

13 -Doug B--235

14 -Mrs. Rannous--223

15 -TripleLayne--213

16 -Pitchfork--194

Childrens Shows

16 points- Sesame Street

10 points- Fraggle Rock

7 points- Howdy Doody

6 points- Arthur

4 points- 3-2-1 Contact

1 point- Animaniacs
Shows we mentioned when deciding were Barney (terrible to watch but kids absolutely went bonkers for it), Dora the Explorer, and Blues Clues.  Any thoughts where these would have fit in?

Shows we mentioned when deciding were Barney (terrible to watch but kids absolutely went bonkers for it), Dora the Explorer, and Blues Clues.  Any thoughts where these would have fit in?
Dora and Blues Clues were two that I thought others were hinting at along the way. @AcerFC, weren't you kicking around one of these at one point?

I think I would have Barney in the iconic group probably below Howdy Doody

As far as Dora and Blues Clues, I would probably have put them both in the 9-11 category. They are both really good shows that A) help kids learn spanish, even if only a little and B) help kids with their creativity. I cant tell you how often I would hear my kids say "a clue, a clue"

Best guesstimates. 

yes, I had Dora, Blues Clues, Yo Gabba Gabba and The Backyardigans on my list. 
I don't think The Backyardigans quite had the deep cultural stamps that Dora and Blue's Clues have ... but if having fun music gives a show a bump, The Backyardigans could have maybe scratched out 6-8 points in this thing.

A few years ago (well after my kids watched Backyardigans), I got my wife a Yeti rambler as a Mothers Day present -- she'd been hinting at one for months. The kids and I asked her to wait a minute before unwrapping the present so that we could play "The Yeti Stomp" while she opened her gift :D  

I don't think The Backyardigans quite had the deep cultural stamps that Dora and Blue's Clues have ... but if having fun music gives a show a bump, The Backyardigans could have maybe scratched out 6-8 points in this thing.

A few years ago (well after my kids watched Backyardigans), I got my wife a Yeti rambler as a Mothers Day present -- she'd been hinting at one for months. The kids and I asked her to wait a minute before unwrapping the present so that we could play "The Yeti Stomp" while she opened her gift :D  
Then I'll see your Backyardigans and raise you a Lancelot Link Secret Chimp, featuring The Evolution Revolution.

1 --Yo Mama--333

2 --Tolstoy--273

3 --mphtrilogy--253

4 --tuffnutt--253

5 --jwb--251

6 --KarmaPolice--249

7 --Zow--247

8 --timschochet--247

9 --AcerFC--246

10 -Gally Steiner--245

11 -Hov34--243

12 -rick6668--242

13 -Doug B--235

14 -Mrs. Rannous--223

15 -TripleLayne--213

16 -Pitchfork--194

It looks like Im the only one entering the scores. I missed this category. Can you bump the final totals for me please
Well if you are going back in to fix the scores then Team GallStein is missing about 112 pts from the incorrect judging of our selections.  Please add that in as well.  

ETA:  Thanks for keeping us on the straight and narrow by updating the standings.  It's a thankless job so I am thanking you.  It makes the flow so much better.  

Would Power Rangers or TMNT be considered children’s shows?
I thought "Children's Show" meant it had to have some sort of educational component to it.  Phineas and Ferb in 4th place, I guess not.

Animaniacs (IMBD 7.9) (Screenscrush 2)

1 point

I think this one would have been much better placed in the animated category. I really like Animaniacs so it pains me to place it here. I actually liked Tiny Toons better and absolutely loved Pinky and the Brain. It was a must watch for me in the 4pm slot on WB (and I was in college at the time, lol). Anyway, I bring this up because I am a fan. However, this is not really a children's show in my opinion. If you take a look at the list, this one stands out as being different. In fact, when I went to watch some episodes on youtube, I got a notification that some material may be inappropriate, do I want to proceed? That is not very childreny. It feels like whoever drafted it wasnt sure what to take, looked at the screencrush ranking and went with it. 

A few that I enjoy: Airline Safety with Warners, What are We
#### really? I guess I didn't know that a children's show had to be rated G or whatever. 

Well, suppose I should have went with Looney Tunes. I just thought the Animaniacs were a better version.

ETA: Or, better, Phineas and Ferb as they were also on my list.  

Talk Show Host Rankings

I'm hosting this Talk Show, and my guest today is @wikkidpissah.  You should all know him by now. Mostly for his cutting edge commentary.

We'll be discussing the Talk Show host rankings of some random dolts on the innerwebs and I've included his comments.

1 pt - John Oliver
it's a comedy News Show. Not a talk show. Carol Burnett & Belushi dont have cats in this stoopit draft. neither does he, great as he is.

2pts - Arsenio Hall
less difference w Conan than Conan thinks and i dont wanna put the black guy last
Wikkid had Conan last on his list.

3 pts - Conan O'Brien
The worst quality a talk show host can have is being less clever than you think you are. and Conan's a very clever guy.

4 pts - Zach Galifinakis
he's NOT Merv but i think he would secretly like to be, maybe even the butt####ing
NOW THERE IS SOME TALK SHOW FODDER FOR YOU GUYS

5 pts - Larry Sanders
Wikkid had him in the middle. I can't stand him.

6 pts - Stephen Colbert
still not a talk show host, but only Stefon from SNL was a better character on a strip show than Colbert's Master of Truthiness

7 pts - Phil Donahue
started all that daytime issue-clowning

8 pts - Merv Griffin
he's Merv i had friends on Merv i got clients on Merv. he's Merv

9 pts - Craig Ferguson
best all-round. his blackouts were better for the format than even dave, and he was the most natural and original conversationalist.
Wikkid flipped the coffee table on this one and I through my chair at him. Blame Phil.

10 pts - Regis Philbin
i've been a broadcaster and admire the craft. this man's a broadcaster

11 pts - Bill Maher
For Politically Correct - as important a talkshow as Buckley, Susskind or McLaughlin Group and a damsite funnier and more reflective of the zeitgeist.
This comment seems like a "New Rule" to me.

12 pts - **** Cavett
got people to talk you wouldnt think would

13 pts - Jon Stewart
right w letterman as the most important entertainer to ever sit behind a desk, tho the talk was meh

14 pts - Oprah Winfrey
done more harm to our country than Osama bin Laden, but there u go

15 pts - David Letterman
cant put the deconstructor ahead of the constructor, but i would. most important entertainer of his gen
Never liked how he had to whine and tell us all how good he was all the time.

16 pts - Johnny Carson
Wikkid was speechless on this one.
Johnny was the greatest. Had some of the damn funniest skits ever. Much better interviewer also. Was able to see about 20 tapings during my last 2.5 years of HS.

a comedy note: the Galifinakis joke dont work unless you read the Merv comment first (and i had Zack right behind Merv *mmmmmmm* in my countdown

Zow said:
Dammit. I'm frustrated by the definitional rulings a bit. Google "greatest talk show hosts" and Colbert, Oliver, etc. come up. 

The whole thing is a joke.  I quit®

Give all my points to @Pitchfork

Getzlaf15 said:
Talk Show Host Rankings

I'm hosting this Talk Show, and my guest today is @wikkidpissah.  You should all know him by now. Mostly for his cutting edge commentary.

We'll be discussing the Talk Show host rankings of some random dolts on the innerwebs and I've included his comments.

1 pt - John Oliver
it's a comedy News Show. Not a talk show. Carol Burnett & Belushi dont have cats in this stoopit draft. neither does he, great as he is.

2pts - Arsenio Hall
less difference w Conan than Conan thinks and i dont wanna put the black guy last
Wikkid had Conan last on his list.

3 pts - Conan O'Brien
The worst quality a talk show host can have is being less clever than you think you are. and Conan's a very clever guy.

4 pts - Zach Galifinakis
he's NOT Merv but i think he would secretly like to be, maybe even the butt####ing
NOW THERE IS SOME TALK SHOW FODDER FOR YOU GUYS

5 pts - Larry Sanders
Wikkid had him in the middle. I can't stand him.

6 pts - Stephen Colbert
still not a talk show host, but only Stefon from SNL was a better character on a strip show than Colbert's Master of Truthiness

7 pts - Phil Donahue
started all that daytime issue-clowning

8 pts - Merv Griffin
he's Merv i had friends on Merv i got clients on Merv. he's Merv

9 pts - Craig Ferguson
best all-round. his blackouts were better for the format than even dave, and he was the most natural and original conversationalist.
Wikkid flipped the coffee table on this one and I through my chair at him. Blame Phil.

10 pts - Regis Philbin
i've been a broadcaster and admire the craft. this man's a broadcaster

11 pts - Bill Maher
For Politically Correct - as important a talkshow as Buckley, Susskind or McLaughlin Group and a damsite funnier and more reflective of the zeitgeist.
This comment seems like a "New Rule" to me.

12 pts - **** Cavett
got people to talk you wouldnt think would

13 pts - Jon Stewart
right w letterman as the most important entertainer to ever sit behind a desk, tho the talk was meh

14 pts - Oprah Winfrey
done more harm to our country than Osama bin Laden, but there u go

15 pts - David Letterman
cant put the deconstructor ahead of the constructor, but i would. most important entertainer of his gen
Never liked how he had to whine and tell us all how good he was all the time.

16 pts - Johnny Carson
Wikkid was speechless on this one.
Johnny was the greatest. Had some of the damn funniest skits ever. Much better interviewer also. Was able to see about 20 tapings during my last 2.5 years of HS.
Ill take my 1. BUT, the primetime Emmy awards dont really see it the same way as you. Last week tonight won this award

The Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety Talk Series is an award presented to the best television variety-style talk show of the year.

Since John Oliver is the host of the show, I figured he was indeed a talk show host. 

Should have gone with Howard Stern. His E show was the best. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Ill take my 1. BUT, the primetime Emmy awards dont really see it the same way as you. Last week tonight won this award

The Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety Talk Series is an award presented to the best television variety-style talk show of the year.

Since John Oliver is the host of the show, I figured he was indeed a talk show host. 

Should have gone with Howard Stern. His E show was the best. 
What’s funny is I thought about howard but figured he’d be consider a radio guy (despite the E show). So I went Colbert. And got dinged. :lmao:  

Users who are viewing this thread