What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (8 Viewers)

No.... Derrick...

Played for the Sonics, Pacers, and the 76ers (believe it or not)...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mckeyde01.html

From McKey's wiki:

Style and Career
At 6'10", McKey was mostly known for his defensive skills, his emphasis on teamwork play, and his versatility, which allowed him to guard opposing players of any position. Consequently, he was elected twice to the All-NBA Second Defensive Team. These abilities were the prime reason why coach Larry Brown wanted him in Indiana.[citation needed] He was also a smart, team-oriented player, shooting wisely (.486 for his career) and had a knack for passing.

This is the part that reminds me of Simmons.

Never really puts it into overdrive, commensurate with his talent.

Derrick would pass up an open 15 footer for that extra pass to a less-skilled player with the same shot.
Danny Ainge almost - thiiiiis close - traded a pair of Air Pennys and the draft rights to Croatia's tallest dwarf, Icic "Itchy" Icicic for McKey in his first year as Celts GM, but the defensive stalwart chose to retire instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
wikkidpissah said:
Danny Ainge almost traded almost traded a pair of Air Pennys and the draft rights to Croatia's tallest dwarf, Icic "Itchy" Icicic for McKey in his first year as Celts GM, but the defensive stalwart chose to retire instead.
Celts dodged a bullet there.

Lakers really looked to turn it on the last few minutes of G2.  Hoping it's a sign of things to come.  

Dr. Octopus said:
I get what you're saying. This season, and this team, has been fun but the 4 seed and a potential first round series win is their absolute ceiling without adding anyone, unless Barret makes the step to superstardom. While he's only 20 and will get better for sure, he doesn't look like he has that level of potential.

The reality is the NBA is a star driven league and this season sets the base that will (hopefully) allow them to add a guy like Kawhi. I wouldn't want them to go "full Nets" either but they do need to add a star if they want to even get to the Eastern finals let alone win a  Championship. Leaving the Nets out of it, the Sixers and Bucks each have one Superstar and one/two all-star level players. Julius Randle was great this season (although he's struggled in both playoff games), but he has to be, at best, the second best player on the team if they are going to be serious contenders.
Don’t see how you can make that assessment of Barrett at age 20.  He’s only going to get way better from here.

And I am still holding out hope that your thesis is wrong — that you don’t necessary need a superstar to go deep, but that a really great TEAM game can trump individual stars.   If the Knicks get far enough to face the Nets, we could test it out.  It would be a blast.  And maybe the Knicks would get demolished.  Or maybe they’d surprise everyone.  

Don’t see how you can make that assessment of Barrett at age 20.  He’s only going to get way better from here.

And I am still holding out hope that your thesis is wrong — that you don’t necessary need a superstar to go deep, but that a really great TEAM game can trump individual stars.   If the Knicks get far enough to face the Nets, we could test it out.  It would be a blast.  And maybe the Knicks would get demolished.  Or maybe they’d surprise everyone.  
The last 40 years of basketball say Dr. Octopus is right.

No team other than the bad boy Pistons and 04 Pistons have won a title without a league mvp on their team.

Only the 04 Pistons won it without a first ballot hall of famer and neither of those teams did it their first year in the playoffs.

The other thing those Piston teams that this Knicks team doesn't  besides playoff experience was hall of fame coaching. 

I am not saying to not be excited for your team, but you should slow down. You seem to be convincing yourself that they are going to do something that has never been done in the modern NBA and we are still in the 1st round of a 1 - 1 series. 

But in all seriousness, even though the Knicks one is worse, both fans are stupid for throwing stuff at players. 

Both got lifetime bans from the arenas.

Anyone heard from @modogg?
if it was Tatum, i plead the 5th :P .

But to an injured Russ, the dude is a d-bag, and probably 97% of the 6'ers fans agree. Been horrendous today in that it is all everyone is talking about after the game. But yeah, i can't imagine throwing something at somebody, then hiding like he was. If i were at the game i would have pointed him out like the other fans did, and made sure Russ saw who the dude was. Then i would call the dude out and tell him to go do it to Russ's face.

I did like the guy a year or 2 ago though who gave Russ the "double birds". turns out he is a Urologist, and says he gets praise about it. he claimed Russ said something about him or his wife being overweight, but it was mostly harmless just giving the finger to Russ

So last i looked, Lakers were -11 tonight against the Suns. I can't remember ever seeing a 7th seed a double digit favorite against the #2 seed without any major injury. 

Hope Chris Paul's shoulder is healing, if it is i think loading up on the Suns tonight makes a lot of sense. Sure Lakers may win, but covering 11 points seems obnoxious for the 2 seed

if it was Tatum, i plead the 5th. But to an injured Russ, the dude if a d-bag, and probably 97% of the 6'ers fans agree. Been horrendous today in that it is all everyone is talking about after the game
I was really hoping for us that you came in with this mindset and didn't defend the fan lol.  Thanks haha. 

But yes, I haven't heard many ppl say what he did was cool. Even though it's just popcorn, no one should do stuff to players from the safety of their seat that they wouldn't do on the street. That fan knows Russ won't do anything to him and if he does, he probably gets money.  Hate that attitude. 

I do hate how much attention it's getting though and how the Knicks fan who literally put his saliva on another dude during a pandemic, isn't getting half the press. 

So last i looked, Lakers were -11 tonight against the Suns. I can't remember ever seeing a 7th seed a double digit favorite against the #2 seed without any major injury. 

Hope Chris Paul's shoulder is healing, if it is i think loading up on the Suns tonight makes a lot of sense. Sure Lakers may win, but covering 11 points seems obnoxious for the 2 seed
If you're seeing -11 I'd be all over that.  My book is still showing -6.5.

I think the Lakers finally found their footing, I think Paul is hurting badly, and I do think the Lakers roll tonight.  But if you can get them at 11 I'd probably take that

If you're seeing -11 I'd be all over that.  My book is still showing -6.5.

I think the Lakers finally found their footing, I think Paul is hurting badly, and I do think the Lakers roll tonight.  But if you can get them at 11 I'd probably take that
hmm, strange. i looked last night after the Sixers game and saw -11. i have 6.5 now too so must have either been a quick correction or something

i tend to agree that barrett looks like a solid 2-3 option kind of guy.  but, at least he’s a player and lord knows, the knicks haven’t drafted many of those.  at the very least, this welcomes them back to the nba in the eyes of players looking to change teams.

wikkidpissah said:
 Croatia's tallest dwarf, Icic "Itchy" Icicic 
today was smog the truck, deal with the covid era dmv, see the doctor. just got home in #### mood. this made me laugh. it isn't that funny really, but i couldn't stop gigglin'. thanks idiot.

I wonder how that is enforced....

Mug shots distributed  to all ticket takers?
I read about this a long time ago. Their season tickets are revoked and I believe they still can buy tickets with someone else's name or on the secondary market, but if they are noticed once they enter the arena they are arrested for trespassing and prosecuted. 

I read about this a long time ago. Their season tickets are revoked and I believe they still can buy tickets with someone else's name or on the secondary market, but if they are noticed once they enter the arena they are arrested for trespassing and prosecuted. 
Still think it would be pretty easy to get in, once the capacity limits are 100% lifted.

Bucks vs Nets should be a great series. Horst did a great job with the roster. Olapdipo would've helped but the current roster can't compete with the top teams.

jhib said:
No offense, but you guys talk about other people talking about Ben Simmons more than other people actually talk about Ben Simmons.

Deamon said:
Definitely not even close.  Go back and read.
Case and point, something like 8 of the last 9 (exaggerated, but not by much) thread titles have been about Simmons.

Bucks vs Nets should be a great series. Horst did a great job with the roster. Olapdipo would've helped but the current roster can't compete with the top teams.
The series I've been looking forward to the most.  It's gonna be a slug fest, hopefully they beat up on each other pretty good.

Lots of first round blowout games. 

Only 3 of 17 games so far this playoffs have ended within 5 points.

Average margin of victory in round 1 has been 13.0 points.  Damn.

It's kind of strange how Kyrie Irving's comments the other day about hoping to avoid any racism when he goes up to Boston is putting the Boston sports media on a bit of a frenzy. Funny article here with good 'ol truth telling Danny how he never heard bout any racism in Boston in his 26 years up there, and half of his players have recounted stories:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/05/27/danny-ainge-responds-to-kyrie-irving-i-never-heard-that-from-celtics-players-in-my-26-years-in-boston/

I don't know if Ainge has early onset dimentia or what, but he is still good for a giggle

Users who are viewing this thread